Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

I dont see why people are talking like the 42 is SOOO much bigger than the 37. Its 5 diagonal inches people. Thats like 4.4 inches wider and 2.5 taller... :rolleyes: (Someone check my math) If youre sitting a few feet away that shouldnt make much difference.

After using both, I honestly prefer the 37" to the 42" for a computer monitor. The 42" is a VERY nice screen though and I prefer it for movie watching.

So is there any possible way to get this monitor without going through shady dealers or am I stuck with getting the bigger 42" one?

i just got mine today from ecost for around $760 delivered overnight. it works so far, 30min. running. we'll see what happens LONG TERM.

one thing that has irked me is that the hdcp is STILL not working. i have firmware 1.11 on the display and have both the xbox hd dvd player and visiontek x1950pro agp 256mb. that card is SUPPOSED to be hdcp capable.

A lot of ATI's have trouble with HDCP not working for some reason. Your not the first one.

I don't plug sound into the Westy. The 360 and PS3 connects directly to the Z-5500 via optical and my PC connects via the 3 jacks (forgot what they are called). Only thing I have plugged into the Westinghouse for sound is my Wii.

How exactly do you have both the PS3 and 360 connected up to the z5500's via optical at the same time ? is there a splitter or an adapter?

BASTARDS at onSale havent shipped :mad: Apparently they still havent gotten any. Considering risking eCost but its a little more and... its eCost.

Thanks for the thoughts, justintoxicated.. unfortunately, though, I don't believe it's that

mine does identify as LVM-37W3

it does not cut off text at post level.

it's str8 up blurry and under scanned with the newer drivers. 152's work great. no manual changes needed. go to newer? and bang..afu

*shakes an angry fist at nvidia*

So..it seems, anonuser and I are the only ones with this?

Same freeking thing here WTF Nvidia!!!!!! I just installed the newest drivers minutes ago then I lost an inch around my screen and the resize makes text look like arse.

Mac

Well after much debate between the 37" and 42" Westinghouse models, I chose the 42". I didn't mind spending the little extra. But, on a side note, a funny thing happened this morning.. Last night, right before I went to bed, I saw that eCOST had (8) 42" inchers in stock. When I woke up this morning, they only had TWO!!!! Sooo, with the quicknes, I logged on and threw (1) 42" inch Westy for $849.00 in my shopping cart and proceeded to check out.

Hearing the horror stories about eCOST (and a few Westinghouse LCD's), I figured I had better play it safe and "upgrade" from the standard 90 day eCOST warranty, to a full (1) year warranty. Sounded like the safe thing to do. Well, in doing so, eCOST charged me an extra $136.99.. From there, let the rest of the applicable charges fly.. Then came shipping. The shipping would cost me an extra $58.62. Since I live in Texas, eCOST hit me with some taxes. $81.34 to be exact. I figured since eCOST was based in California and this was an online transaction, that I would NOT be charged any tax. WRONG! ...haha. That's what I get for thinking. After it was all said and done, all that stood between me and an eCOST Westinghouse 42" 1080P display was the little "complete this sale by pressing this button".. So, before I decided to "bite" I checked for 30 minutes, frantically looking for a better deal. Well, I was only able to find one that met my needs.

eCOSTWestinghouse42.jpg

Would you believe it? I found the better deal for me at Newegg.com. Very easy and straight forward..

NeweggWestinghouse42.jpg

This was the same 42" Westinghouse display, which has also been recertified. I comes with the standard 1 YEAR warranty. This display sells for $999.99. No "extra" warranty for a full year was required for me to purchase. No tax! Although AIT is HIT and MISS on their deliveries, it was an acceptable price to pay at $99.99. Total damage was $1099.98. Better deal on Newegg than eCOST. Plus, having dealt with Newegg for several years, it's a site that I trust. I can't say the same for eCOST as I have never purchased from them. Anyways, just passing this info along in case it helps anyone out. Can't wait, my new 42" Westy should be here around Wednesday or so.. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you were spending that much, you might as well have bought the tx42 BRAND NEW @bb instead of refurb. :D

Yeah.. Very good point. What I didn't mention was the "Wife Factor". 99% of all married guys know about it. ..hahaha. I told the wife I would keep it under $1000. I "neglected" to mention the shipping cost. So, $999.99 keeps me in good standing with the wife. $1000.01 = a knock down, drag out, kick to the family jewels fight. I can say with a straight face that I "might" end up winning the battle but I would DEFINATELY lose the war! ..haha.

But oh will it be worth it once you see it in person... :D

I would love to see how this 37" low rez TV could be any better than my drool worthy Apple 30" Display. I mainly play WoW and on my Apple I play at default resolution of 2560x1600 4xMultiSample and all options maxed and the game looks stunning crystal clear, makes WoW looks like a different game played that high and smooth.

But how would it look on a larger 37" screen with a lower rez, I think compared to what I am used to it would look blurry or less detailed ?? I am always up for a larger screen to make the game come to life right in front of me, but am worried it would be a downgrade for me ??

Any comparisons in real life with this 37" next to a 30" Apple, Dell or HP ?

The Westy is anything but blurry. Graphics and text are razor sharp.

It's great that you play WoW at that res, but try something more demanding like F.E.A.R., S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Bioshock, etc.

In my opinion, the Westy 37-42" are just about the pinnacle of price/performance. Not only will the additional screen size make gameplay more immersing, you don't have to keep top-tier SLI cards in your rig to be able to run the latest games. My 640MB GTS makes for extremely smooth gameplay in even the most recent games at 1920x1080, and the Windows desktop provides ample real estate for all but the most demanding of power users.

I'm glad you're happy with your Apple display, but I'd hardly call the 37W3 "low res" and speaking of drool-worthy, it has not ceased to amaze anyone that has seen it. I just don't want you to have the wrong impression. I really don't think it would be a downgrade.

To each their own, I guess.

How is the 42" for watching TV? I don't really have any of the new consoles that could take advantage of it, so I would only be watching sporting events and movies in HD. I heard that the tuner has a tendency to break real quick on these units. What are some of your experiences? Would you say it would be more worth it to find something with a better tuner if I'm going to use it for primarily TV viewing? Or is it awesome and I should go out and pick it up today?

Wow, longest thread ever. This page 263...

Im interested in this for use as a monitor, altho I will likely buy on Black Friday or thereabouts.

Price drops on flat panels will be extraordinary I think.

I dont see why people are talking like the 42 is SOOO much bigger than the 37. Its 5 diagonal inches people. Thats like 4.4 inches wider and 2.5 taller... :rolleyes: (Someone check my math) If youre sitting a few feet away that shouldnt make much difference.

Speaking of which ecost has a 42W2 refurb for 850. Tempting...

if im not mistaken, these tv's are measured left to right. i will have to pull out a ruler soon. (i have the 42 but havent taken pictures)

Any comparisons in real life with this 37" next to a 30" Apple, Dell or HP ?

Read: http://www.overclock.net/monitors-displays/138868-dell-3007-30-vs-westinghouse-37-a.html

Honestly, I prefer the Westinghouse because I can sit back 3ft away and read everything no problem. When I had the Dell 30" I had to sit too close to it to read all the text/menus. I really like 1920x1080.

And with gaming... I have a OCd Core2Duo @ 3.3ghz, 4gb ram, and a 8800gtx and the newest games (bioshock, lost planet, etc) are starting to tax the system at 1920x1080 with all the details turned up... I would have had to buy another 8800gtx and go SLI at this point with the higher resolution of the 30"ers.

if im not mistaken, these tv's are measured left to right. i will have to pull out a ruler soon. (i have the 42 but havent taken pictures)

tv size is determined by measuring the screen (not including the bezel) diagonally. the width however is usually very close to the diagonal size.

Nice find on the newegg deal. Definitely safer but its close to the price of a new TX.

Yeah.. a few more hundred dollars and i could have a brand new one.. I called Newegg and they mentioned something about their recertified Westy's.. They have the 1 yr warranty and have been updated to the latest firmware (1.19?).

the tx 42 is often $1080 at bestbuy.com, not now but it has been twice in the last 2-3 weeks. the tx 47 has been $1350 too.

my rig is similar to anonuser's

except 2gb ram ( on Vista 32bit )

I got my Westy along with the maingear Rig in my sig in Jan '07. Haven't looked back.

I'm sure the 42" are fine, but there is one point not discussed with the 42". The pixel pitch is bigger on a 42 ( meaning the image is more grainy - unless you sit farther back ) because it's the same number of pixels as a 37".

As I had to pay extra and struggled to find one of the last Ikea Jerkers left in the country when I got this rig, I am able to sit about 3.5 feet back. Perfect. A 42" would require like 5 feet, i would suspect, to avoid greater pixelation of the image.

this pic was posted back in my original review, but re posting since it STILL gives me a thrill to sit here and play.

Also, I added the side shelves to the Jerker and run a 19" widescreen LG LCD for looking up WoW quests, controlling WMP, etc. WoW is windowed and full screen on the Westy and dual view extends the desktop to the 19", all on the single 8800gtx.

Edit: I STILL need to clean up the wires, etc. I have the straps, just too busy gaming to bother. So yea, it's messy =(

TheNewHAWTNESSthostillmessy.jpg

Game On!

Does anyone have any current sources for the 37W3? Everywhere I look has them out of stock...

THANKS!

Well crap. Called onsale today and they wont get any for "2-3 weeks from today" so I was going to order from ecost but of course now theyre OOS again too. Lame.

I just ordered the 42" LVM-42W2 from ecost.com :D Wewt!

How do people like thier 42"? The 37 was out of stock at all places so I went wit hthe 42" for a couple 100 more. I'm glad it can do 1080p over Component, since a lot of Tv's can't :)

I just ordered the 42" LVM-42W2 from ecost.com :D Wewt!

How do people like thier 42"? The 37 was out of stock at all places so I went wit hthe 42" for a couple 100 more. I'm glad it can do 1080p over Component, since a lot of Tv's can't :)

Awesome. My LVM-42W2 is scheduled to be delivered to me this upcoming Friday. Ugh.. When is yours supposed to arrive?

it is now 5:18 pm and it hasn't been delivered yet... very odd because the tracking page has said "out for dlv" for the last couple hours. my next post will contain pics and stuff if and when i get it tonight

Back