Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Ahhhh definitely do post pictures of the two sweeties side-by-side! :D Congratulations. If I hadn't just bought a new Canon Digital Rebel I might've considered the Aquos just for kicks.

LOL, I wish I could but there's no way both of those would fit side by side on my desk. Plus my digicam sucks and would in no way do justice to these beauties...it's an old HP 2.1MP camera. I guess I need to make that upgrade soon, heh. :D

No don't say that, now I have to unmount my west and send it back for a trade with the sharp. NOT love mine to much, glade to hear you finally opened it up. Glade to hear you have to kick ass screens! :D

Haha thanks bro. But honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't send the Westy back. The Sharp is a great display but you'd be losing 5" and taking a gamble on whether the dynamic contrast shifting will be a blessing or a curse to you. I found that for TV & movies it's a nice feature, but for PC use it can be rather annoying after all. :(

I'm sooo glad I didn't send the Westy back when my Sharp arrived. This thing kicks ass, Seabass!

duce3 said:
I have no want to get an extreme 2500 x 1600 monitor.

Me either. I could have gone that way but there are so many reasons I didn't (not to mention I don't do the professional work that would require such a res). 1920x1080 is just about perfect IMO.

Haha thanks bro. But honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't send the Westy back. The Sharp is a great display but you'd be losing 5" and taking a gamble on whether the dynamic contrast shifting will be a blessing or a curse to you. I found that for TV & movies it's a nice feature, but for PC use it can be rather annoying after all. :(

I'm sooo glad I didn't send the Westy back when my Sharp arrived. This thing kicks ass, Seabass!

Me either. I could have gone that way but there are so many reasons I didn't (not to mention I don't do the professional work that would require such a res). 1920x1080 is just about perfect IMO.

I was just playing around, there is no way in hell i would send this thing back! I agree with you on the 2500 x 1600 rez just being overkill, don't get me wrong i am not invious of it, it is just way to extreme to justify its price and the video cards that require it. I have an 8800gts and it barley fits in my rig. I want to go sli some time in the next 6 months but 2500 x 1600 is just omg insane. lol. Love my westy no matter what. I know that there maybe some monitors that will own it but that would just be even better because this thing holds its own against most that i have seen in person. It got the kick ass award from pc gamer about a month or two ago against the extreme 30" out there. And that is saying something.

LOL, I wish I could but there's no way both of those would fit side by side on my desk. Plus my digicam sucks and would in no way do justice to these beauties...it's an old HP 2.1MP camera. I guess I need to make that upgrade soon, heh. :D
lol I upgraded just because I'll be touring a lot this summer and I want to put the time into learning how to take quality pics with a semi-pro camera. It all depends on what you use it for...

...kinda like big-ass monitor/TVs... :D

I'm thinking of starting a separate thread just for the comparison for those who might be interested in the two panels. I can provide some impressions and maybe try to answer any questions that people might have.

As far as the Sharp being better...I really don't know about that now that I've seen them back to back. Yeah it's nice but the Westy is REALLY fitting the bill for me. I didn't open it because I was sure it'd be too large (and it IS large) but man I'm really impressed. After reading about the superb image quality of the AQUOS displays I really didn't expect the Westy to compare, but in many ways (at least on my rig) it's better. Not just bigger!

Well, this is interesting. So in what ways do you find the Westy better?

Does anyone know if and when Best Buy will be having that 0% for 36 months again? As soon as they have this deal again I'm going to get me a Westy!

I also called my local Best Buy and they said they'd match online prices....w00t, mwave, thanks for the low price, but brick and mortar is where I'm gonna go!

$1499 @ BestBuy...$986 @ Mwave. I win.

Seriously really how is the image quality on this baby compared to my ultra crisp and sharp looking Apple 30" Display, or even my Brother's new Dell 27" which looks really clear in WoW

I am very tempted to buy this, but my 30" looks really clear in games, running everything 2560x1600 resolution, and World Of Warcraft looks amazing, can the Westinghouse produce a very crisp and detailed picture and not look blurry with the larger pixels compared to what I am running ?

Seriously really how is the image quality on this baby compared to my ultra crisp and sharp looking Apple 30" Display, or even my Brother's new Dell 27" which looks really clear in WoW

I am very tempted to buy this, but my 30" looks really clear in games, running everything 2560x1600 resolution, and World Of Warcraft looks amazing, can the Westinghouse produce a very crisp and detailed picture and not look blurry with the larger pixels compared to what I am running ?
I've never seen the Apple 30" or the Dell 27" in person, so I'll leave that part up to those who have... but I know the Westy 37" is the sharpest monitor I've ever seen. The 24" iMacs in my school's graphic lab have better colors overall, but sharpness is this baby's strength. There is no blur even with my nose touching the screen (not that I'd ever touch the panel with my nose; it's just a metaphor!) :p

Absolutely most certainly not.

It's significantly worse. There are a few other things, but for myself, most notably:
W1 vs W3
12 ms vs 8 ms - basically means the W1 isn't suitable for gaming
Old/bad body vs nice/new body

Basically, no Canadian store sells the 37W3. You can order it from, say, xpcgear or whatever, but you won't have a return policy, and repairs/exchanges will be nasty.

I'm just hoping that the 37 inch of the new Westinghouse series comes to Canada (BB).

I'm just hoping that the 37 inch of the new Westinghouse series comes to Canada (BB).

Sadly there is no word on a 37w4 or a TX-37. No new 37" was shown @ CES, there were new 32"s @720p but no new 37"s at all makes you wonder if they're developing a panel entirely. Maybe they'll have something @ CEDIA in Sept.

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

Today I turned on the Xbox 360, connected to the Westy through a Monster VGA cable, and a big black bar shows on the right side, about 1/3 of the way between the center of the screen and right edge.

It looks like those old movies with damaged film where you see the end of one frame on the left and the beginning of the other on the right. My camera's broken so I can't take pictures, but it looks like this:

film-strip-screen-2.jpg

Is it the cable? The monitor? I've connected the 360 through composite and it works just fine, so I know it's not the console. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

If I hooked up the ps3 to an hdmi selector and then the selector to the tv, would this fix the handshake problem at all? I love the features and price of this tv so much but the handshake problem is worrying me.

Freekin amazing!

I just got mine yesterday and set it up with my new rig (including a Evga 8800 GTX). This thing is a true marvel. I upgraded from a Dell 20" and the Westy completely changes my computing experience. I'm not longer "hunched" to play games any longer.. just sit back and relax.

I didn't have any dead pixels, however there is a slight problem. Approximately six inches from the left hand side is an inch wide line that runs vertically. It's ever so faint, and can only be seen barely on light backgrounds (but it is there). It kind of reminds me of that "line" on old trinitrons, however this is much less noticable. My question is, what should I do? I'm curious as to what's Westinghouse's policy on something like that? What's their service like (in-house/depot)?

Anyway, here are the pics. ;)

desk2.jpg

desk.jpg

Freekin amazing!

I just got mine yesterday and set it up with my new rig (including a Evga 8800 GTX). This thing is a true marvel. I upgraded from a Dell 20" and the Westy completely changes my computing experience. I'm not longer "hunched" to play games any longer.. just sit back and relax.

I like how you have it mounted. What bracket did you use? the one from monoprice?

I like how you have it mounted. What bracket did you use? the one from monoprice?

Yep... can't beat the price. It's solid, easy to install, and looks great. I think I'm going to go back and raise the mount just a bit by 3 inches.

Just a note, the mount does tilt ever so slightly forward.

Yep... can't beat the price. It's solid, easy to install, and looks great. I think I'm going to go back and raise the mount just a bit by 3 inches.

Just a note, the mount does tilt ever so slightly forward.

Well Seeing it in action I'm sold on that mount for my soon to be Westy TX-42.
ot: Is that a Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Figure to the right of the monitor? :p

Freekin amazing!

I didn't have any dead pixels, however there is a slight problem. Approximately six inches from the left hand side is an inch wide line that runs vertically. It's ever so faint, and can only be seen barely on light backgrounds (but it is there). It kind of reminds me of that "line" on old trinitrons, however this is much less noticable. My question is, what should I do? I'm curious as to what's Westinghouse's policy on something like that? What's their service like (in-house/depot)?

desk2.jpg

desk.jpg

Lovin it man, The deak is great lookin, where you get it. Like the whole mounted and pulled away from the wall deal.

Reminds me of my set up. Only question I got is that the IKEA Gallant with an extension? I have to Gallants joined together with two 1" steal stocks and I freaking love them.

Freekin amazing!

desk2.jpg

desk.jpg

nice. what desk is that?

Been thinking about getting the LTV-32W6, 5" smaller, and has these specs

1000:1 Constrast Ratio, 8ms Response Time, 1366 x 768 Native/Optimum Resolution, 4 HD Connectors

Would this make a decent monitor? Anyone have any experience with this monitor?

Been thinking about getting the LTV-32W6, 5" smaller, and has these specs

1000:1 Constrast Ratio, 8ms Response Time, 1366 x 768 Native/Optimum Resolution, 4 HD Connectors

Would this make a decent monitor? Anyone have any experience with this monitor?

I am looking at getting that panel for my son and saw it in person at best buy with a semi decent connection and was quit impressed. The specs look great for a panel it size and price. I have the 37w3 and freaking love it so hopefully the 32 is tight also.

The 32w6 is a beautiful TV indeed. I've seen it at BB with an HD connection, too, and it lived up to the Bravias and Aquos...es... around it (you could see the difference, but it wasn't day and night). :)

People at AVS have pretty big threads for 32" Westinghouse panels.

I am looking at getting that panel for my son and saw it in person at best buy with a semi decent connection and was quit impressed. The specs look great for a panel it size and price. I have the 37w3 and freaking love it so hopefully the 32 is tight also.

The resolution on that monitor is crappy... no way does it compare to the 37" 1080p for PC use.

The resolution on that monitor is crappy... no way does it compare to the 37" 1080p for PC use.

Well I use my 37 for my pc and love it. The 32 would be for my 8 year old son who at the moment is using a 10 year old 15"crt. He won't notice the difference and be like this sucks dad! :D lol. The main thing for him is it will be a tv most of the time that can be used as his pc monitor.

Reminds me of my set up. Only question I got is that the IKEA Gallant with an extension? I have to Gallants joined together with two 1" steal stocks and I freaking love them.

Yep... it is a Gallant w/ an extension. It is a great desk with it being adjustable in length and height, great depth, and the ability to customize it differently. Great for someone who's 6' 4" tall. :)

I actually raised the monitor by three inches, so it looks a little bit different than the pic... so much more comfortable now. That desk and the Westy have been the best purchases I've ever made for computer gaming.

Absolutely most certainly not.

It's significantly worse. There are a few other things, but for myself, most notably:
W1 vs W3
12 ms vs 8 ms - basically means the W1 isn't suitable for gaming
Old/bad body vs nice/new body

Basically, no Canadian store sells the 37W3. You can order it from, say, xpcgear or whatever, but you won't have a return policy, and repairs/exchanges will be nasty.

I find it amusing how just a few years ago when 16 ms panels were coming out, all reviews were stating how they saw 'no ghosting' compared to the 25 ms panels at the time. As faster panels came out, suddenly those 16 ms panels had motion blur so bad you would throw up and how 12 ms was so much better.

Rinse and repeat.

To be honest I haven't noticed motion blur since the 16 ms days - and being in Canada, the Westinghouse 37W1 is still practically in a class of its own here. It depends a lot on the games you are running - World of Warcraft isn't exactly the most fastest game out there.

Yep... it is a Gallant w/ an extension. It is a great desk with it being adjustable in length and height, great depth, and the ability to customize it differently. Great for someone who's 6' 4" tall. :)

I actually raised the monitor by three inches, so it looks a little bit different than the pic... so much more comfortable now. That desk and the Westy have been the best purchases I've ever made for computer gaming.

Great minds think a like! I am 6',5" and know exactly how you feel when it comes to choosing a desk, because neither one of us can fit into a normal desk LOL :D!

IMG_3467_1.jpg

IMG_3468_1.jpg

crimsona:
You're absolutely right - it is all relative. But I'm spoiled; used to 6ms LCDs and CRTs. Personally, my (illogical, if mathematical) inclination is to set 10ms as the cutoff point.

It's sorta like how the original Unreal looked awesome back when it was new, but now comparing it to, say, UT3/Crysis, it's painful. It hasn't gotten worse, we've just been spoiled.

WoW isn't particularly motion sensitive, because the viewpoint doesn't change particularly rapidly. Tactical shooters probably aren't too bad either, because turning rapidly kills your accuracy anyway (could be an interesting way of influencing accuracy - just add severe motion blur when spinning). The worst are probably the Quake/UT-style FPS games.

Hey, Ive been reading a couple of these threads on the 37w3. I've read some where about the PIP being able to be resized or even split the screen in half. Wanted to see if you guys who own the 37w3 and a camera, would demonstrate this with a few photos. Maybe like TV on one half and the net on the other. Something the like eh? And maybe a couple of what else you can do with the PIP. Also, can the sound be switched back and forth from the main to the PIP? Thanks in advanced.

Hey, Ive been reading a couple of these threads on the 37w3. I've read some where about the PIP being able to be resized or even split the screen in half. Wanted to see if you guys who own the 37w3 and a camera, would demonstrate this with a few photos. Maybe like TV on one half and the net on the other. Something the like eh? And maybe a couple of what else you can do with the PIP. Also, can the sound be switched back and forth from the main to the PIP? Thanks in advanced.
It does all of what you describe. I don't have my camera at the moment though. :(

Their has been a ton of pictures with the pip options on this thread. I will post some pics later with the 360 and the pc split up.

The LTV at 720P/1080i is just for regular computer use and some gaming and some good times. I'm just curious. I mean, i will be back 4-7 ft. Its replacing a dual 19" crt system, so, i mean, yeah...

Some say it will work, some say it won't. Why not?

Also, i can't find a monitor with 1080P at 32". I dunno

Somebody asked for pictures.... here's me showing off my new camera (in sig).... ;)

IMG_0016.jpg

PIP with computer desktop and large-sized TV window.

IMG_0070.jpg

PBP (Picture-By-Picture) of TV and computer desktop.

IMG_0080.jpg

POP (Picture-Over-Picture) of TV and computer desktop.

The desktop was set at 1920x1080 so that's why it looks skewed and tiny. You can easily choose a 4:3 resolution for when you use POP or PBP, which can be quite useful. Also, not necessarily TV has to be on the left and computer on the right: you can move around the inputs as you please, and switch the audio between one and the other (but I always have computer speakers anyway, so no prob there).

And for the record, NO, I never watch that fighting stuff... it was just the first channel I could find to take a colorful picture. :p

Back