Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Grimspoon said:
You mean everyone with this monitor? Or everyone who looks at my monitor?

Anyone who is told what to look for will see it. The band down the center of the screen is apparent in both PC use (DVI) and XBOX 360 (VGA).
Are you talking bout this
315338250_9161a94a61_b.jpg

315337064_2226d203d4_b.jpg

if you tilt your head side to side, you can see a distinct banding in the photos.

I also have 3 dead pixles, but that bothers me less than the line down the middle of my screen.
I had one, but did the rub firm method and it disappeared.

he means there is a definate -single- line down his screen center, I've seen pics of it before but on a different brand

nintendk said:
he means there is a definate -single- line down his screen center, I've seen pics of it before but on a different brand

Ya, thats exactly it. So I figure this issue is worth exchanging the monitor over, right? I'll always notice it. I just hope Best Buy doesn't try to hassle me. I'm still within my 30 days.

nintendk said:
I have seen a 30 inch Dell monitor with the same band... Since this isn't brand specific maybe it's something like the wires on trinitron screens?

After reading this thread I decided to get one for myself. Missed the Crutchfield deal last week and the J&R deal as well. Got lucky this morning as Amazon had the set for $934 + $65 shipping from Etronics (cheaper than the etronics website after shipping). Just got my UPS tracking number and should be getting it Monday.

Thanks to those who posted pictures.

I ordered the 42" from Crutchfield a couple of hours ago, got the deal and the 3 year warranty for 1450 bucks. Not too bad from an extremely reputable business, I think the extra cash suffices. Will post pictures when I get it set up and everything!

ToxicAdam, I have the same exact problem. It's not noticable but I can find it whenever I wan't to. My choices are to either take it back to the store for an exchange when they get more, or call westinghouse if I want a different monitor. I dont think the problem is that big...but still...

Edman22 said:
ToxicAdam, I have the same exact problem. It's not noticable but I can find it whenever I wan't to. My choices are to either take it back to the store for an exchange when they get more, or call westinghouse if I want a different monitor. I dont think the problem is that big...but still...
I'm curious...does anyone know exactly what causes the banding issue on larger size LCDs? I heard its on the new Sharp's as well? It's tolerable for the price but it still irks me a bit.

Is it the backlight? The diffuser? The panel itself? People describe it as uneven backlighting, but I've never been clear on the root cause. I tried asking Westinghouse and Crutchfield but both reps claimed they never really heard of the problem before. I sort of expected to hear that... Maybe most people just live with the banding and never report it?

Most likely its a backlight problem on some of them.. I don't have the problem on my 37'' Westy though. It just looks like improper placement of the cathodes or something.

w1retap said:
Most likely its a backlight problem on some of them.. I don't have the problem on my 37'' Westy though. It just looks like improper placement of the cathodes or something.
Researching on AVS found out that Dell, Sharp and a few other LCD brands have this band as well. It is prominent on larger size LCDs.

If I had not specifically been looking for it I might never have noticed it.

ToxicAdam said:
Researching on AVS found out that Dell, Sharp and a few other LCD brands have this band as well. It is prominent on larger size LCDs.

If I had not specifically been looking for it I might never have noticed it.

The 42in Westinghouse are known to have some banding issues. That's why i chose to get a 37incher instead.

Got my westinghouse 37 yesterday... and it is too big and gives me a headache. I was going to use it as a primary monitor, but now I will just use it as a TV for the den that has the ability to play games on it.

Plus my 6800 ULTRA cannot play games at 1920x1080 with no AA or AF at decent frame rates on Scarface, which isnt very demanding at all.

So I will either need to get a bigger desk, and or sit 5+ feet away and get a higher end computer to use this as a monitor, or use it as a TV in the den.

KENNYB said:
The 42in Westinghouse are known to have some banding issues. That's why i chose to get a 37incher instead.

I lucked out then, I have no banding and 0 dead pixels on my 42". There's a little bit of hot-spotting but I don't even notice it unless I specifically look for it on an all black screen.

/edit I should note that banding seems to be more attributed to backlights being misaligned/moved.. (during assembly and sometimes rough shipping) then an actual design flaw. It seems to show up across the board brandwise.

Toad21 said:
Got my westinghouse 37 yesterday... and it is too big and gives me a headache. I was going to use it as a primary monitor, but now I will just use it as a TV for the den that has the ability to play games on it.

Plus my 6800 ULTRA cannot play games at 1920x1080 with no AA or AF at decent frame rates on Scarface, which isnt very demanding at all.

So I will either need to get a bigger desk, and or sit 5+ feet away and get a higher end computer to use this as a monitor, or use it as a TV in the den.

Did you shut the backlight to 0 ? that and the brightness by default at 50 is about 4 too high when I run through the deskmate tests.

KENNYB said:
other then a faint band I see on my 37" it's perfect! I only see it on a grey screens.. i'm keeping mine.

My conclusion is that most LCDs, including the 37w3 have some degree of banding. It's the nature of the technology. However, there clearly can be a huge variance in the severity of the banding as in my case.

I've got friends that have told me they are NEVER letting me near their LCD's with my computer to check for dead pixel's or banding because if it's there they don't want to know about it - they have been enjoying their TV's just fine without knowing. Sometimes I think we just get ourselves worked up about things that if we didn't look for we would never know was there.

Does anyone know if this monitor will fit on a Jerker desk? i cannot find a picture of this set up. Damn I want this monitor, but Im afraid itll give me headaches because ill be sitting 4 feet away from it.

XLeezardx said:
Does anyone know if this monitor will fit on a Jerker desk? i cannot find a picture of this set up. Damn I want this monitor, but Im afraid itll give me headaches because ill be sitting 4 feet away from it.

The 37" fits perfectly. I'll try to get pictures soon.

I am not sure about the 42".

Whats a jerky desk? Link? Any suggestion on what desk to get with this monitor as a setup? I would like to sit atleast 4 feet away. Actually i am thinking about getting 2 desks, and putting a smaller one far away to use my mouse and keyboard.

OMG guys, I just got the 42" from best buy. Its huge. I almost cant stand to sit in front of it. I need to clear my desk, and set it as far away from me as possible, and still be on the desk.

It was the last one, a display model. On clearance for 1499, with the 12% off special this weekend it was like 1300 and some change. Since its a display, I got a 150$ gift certificiate, which i used to get the 4 year plan for like 38$. W00000000T. Oh and the 12% doesnt apply to clearance or open box (display) items. Girl kept trying to scan the 12 off coupon, and then just entered it in manually. So far no issues. If it bands, I cant tell. If you rotate from side to side it does look funny.

Toad21 said:
Whats a jerky desk? Link? Any suggestion on what desk to get with this monitor as a setup? I would like to sit atleast 4 feet away. Actually i am thinking about getting 2 desks, and putting a smaller one far away to use my mouse and keyboard.

I have mine mounted on the wall behind my desk. It looks nice and gives me the viewing distance I need without having to backup far from my desk.

Not only that but I free up all my desk space for other items.

w1retap said:
Yea, it might also depend on their chromakey set or if they are ENG. (on location) I work in a TV studio, and for doing chromakey you need to route your video inputs through either a switcher or trinity. Depending on what they were still using, it could just only support SD video. The whole transition from SD broadcast to HD broadcast is HUGE. You need to replace all wiring, all your switchers, cameras, editors, ccu's, video servers, storage, etc. Tens of millions of dollars easily for a corp such as ESPN.

what tv studio do you work in?

Been reading this forum for weeks now and just watching people's experiences with the Westy's. If price was no issue would you prefer the 42 over the 37 or is the 37" just a better quality ?
I wanna get 1 primarily for a pc monitor and gaming with the 360 but im not sure if 42 is gonna be too big for a PC monitor even if i put it right at the end of my desk. I have 7800gtx in sli so im sure I can run it fine.

Also, anyone know of any good deals on either ?...ive seen the 37 for $950 on pricegrabber but i would want to get the 3yr warranty too to be safe

thoughts on size, warranty ?

wikidlad said:
Been reading this forum for weeks now and just watching people's experiences with the Westy's. If price was no issue would you prefer the 42 over the 37 or is the 37" just a better quality ?
I wanna get 1 primarily for a pc monitor and gaming with the 360 but im not sure if 42 is gonna be too big for a PC monitor even if i put it right at the end of my desk. I have 7800gtx in sli so im sure I can run it fine.

Also, anyone know of any good deals on either ?...ive seen the 37 for $950 on pricegrabber but i would want to get the 3yr warranty too to be safe

thoughts on size, warranty ?

where do u see it for 950$? i only see it for 1050$ shipped

Hey Song,

Yeah sorry $1050 shipped. $950 was the tv price.

Butterfly looks like the cheapest

ToxicAdam said:
other then a faint band I see on my 37" it's perfect! I only see it on a grey screens.. i'm keeping mine.
This is why i'm keeping my westy! I do have the vertical band but can you see it in my pictures?

halo3.jpg

dash.jpg

dash1.jpg

halo30.jpg

halo31.jpg

halo32.jpg

bf.jpg

freddy.jpg

Toad21 said:

computer geek desk

search www.ikea.com

edit:
31693_PE121155_S4.jpg

This is perfect for the 37" :cool:

Hey Toxic, Whats that fps war game ?...it looks a bit like BF2 but i know its not... :confused:

akapaulk said:
$500 more for couple extra inches :)

Thats pretty lame reasoning... You are thinking one dimensionally. FYI, screens are 2d :p

I really don't want to do the calculations. Anyone know what percent area increase a 42in screen has over a 37in?

DOH!...Hey Toxic...I didnt think it was cause of the on screen hud. and the map in the top right looks different.

Besides that, looks frickin awesome on that screen.....gots to get me one

Saw LVM-42W2 for $1499.99 CAD on crutchfieldcanada.com, so went and pricematched and got a refund on the amount I paid the other week at Best Buy. Ended up being $1469.99 CAD. Best price I've seen so far in Canada. Canadian users thinking of buying the 42" from Best Buy - make sure you price match off Crutchfieldcanada.com and get one hell of a hot deal.

miskari said:
is there any difference between the LVM-37W3 and the LVM-37W1??? o is it the same thing? the latter is for sale at bestbuy for $1000, seems pretty cheap to me, heres a link: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10077376&catid=23244

I'm wondering the exact same thing. I just saw the W1 on sale for 1000$ CAD at bestbuy and was wondering if there is any differences aside from looks between it and the W3. Planned on getting a 24", but they all seem to have an endless number of problems, and 37" for 1k, that's a great price.

I just put my jerker together last night, and tomorrow I pick up my 37 westy and should get some pics together. What picture hosting sites do you guys prefer that have easy/free registration?

Jynio said:
I'm wondering the exact same thing. I just saw the W1 on sale for 1000$ CAD at bestbuy and was wondering if there is any differences aside from looks between it and the W3. Planned on getting a 24", but they all seem to have an endless number of problems, and 37" for 1k, that's a great price.
i was lookin at the same thing and the biggest diff i could find were the looks and the 8ms(W3) vs the 12ms(W1)

Anybody knows any stores in Buffalo NY, that have Westy 37-W3 for Sale.
Is the only valid option and closest one for me to drive there and pick up, coming from Toronto Canada.
I'm sick of waiting to show up in Canada and my crutchfiledcanada.com order was canceled " product no more available " :(

So please if anyone know of any store in Buffalo NY let me know Please.

Thanks
If not i will just get the W1localy from BestBuy how does it compare to W3?

Back