Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

I play WoW the most, and also surf [H]ardware sites, and listen to music, never watch movies with PC, I have Home Theater upstairs for that.

So I am mainly looking to get more immersed inside the game, would a larger 37" screen do that more than a high rez 30" Display ??

If you don't mind losing the screen real estate, which you probably are used to, then I would assume that the extra 7" would kick ass in games!

I believe you can HALF the horizontal and vertical res with most (if not all?) LCDs and it'll work as native. It's pretty self-explanatory, but HALF is a huge drop in resolution!!

My 1920x1200 2405fpw would have to be at 960x600 to stay native at a lower res... that would look UGLY! :)

Yes you probably can half it on all LCD's, but the 30" is basically the first one that it makes sense on, since it's actually a standard resolution you can halve it to. Obviously it wouldn't be as sharp and nice looking, but it can be done.

:p Jumped the gun on the 37w3SE, a friend bought one recently and I fell in love when seeing 720p content and Crysis :eek:.

He didnt have any EDID problems whatsoever, are they all coming out good now ? Or luck of the draw ?

Most from newegg seem to be good. There have been a few reports of the problem still. However, it's so easy to fix by reprogramming the eprom (thanks blah!) that it's a non-issue.

If you don't mind losing the screen real estate, which you probably are used to, then I would assume that the extra 7" would kick ass in games!

Yes you probably can half it on all LCD's, but the 30" is basically the first one that it makes sense on, since it's actually a standard resolution you can halve it to. Obviously it wouldn't be as sharp and nice looking, but it can be done.

It does suck that LCDs must be native in order to look good, though... I miss having the ability to use any resolution and not really affect image quality. My old 21" KDS CRT that I paid $500 for back in 2000/2001 rocked, with vsync on and all... native 1600x1200, but i could play any res and get kick-ass hz (refresh rates) with vsync on.

Someday LCDs will get to that point... hell, Samsung has 120hz panels now from what the commercials say... slowly but surely... though 60hz still does look beautiful with vsync on. Before my eyes were only used to 100-120hz vsync enabled, but after I got my 2405fpw a while back my eyes got used to the lower rates.

So final answer, yes or no i getting the W 37" and selling my Apple 30", again I am mainly a [H]ardcore Gamer and websurfer

It does suck that LCDs must be native in order to look good, though... I miss having the ability to use any resolution and not really affect image quality. My old 21" KDS CRT that I paid $500 for back in 2000/2001 rocked, with vsync on and all... native 1600x1200, but i could play any res and get kick-ass hz (refresh rates) with vsync on.

Someday LCDs will get to that point... hell, Samsung has 120hz panels now from what the commercials say... slowly but surely... though 60hz still does look beautiful with vsync on. Before my eyes were only used to 100-120hz vsync enabled, but after I got my 2405fpw a while back my eyes got used to the lower rates.

AFAIK, this gen. of 120Hz is purely processing, i.e. it predicts the frames that go in between to effectively double the amount of frames. Not sure if it's one of those LCD limitations that can't be fixed, like the "must use" native resolution for best sharpness.

As a hardcore gamer, yes 7" is a huge difference. I'd just say keep both lol.

So final answer, yes or no i getting the W 37" and selling my Apple 30", again I am mainly a [H]ardcore Gamer and websurfer

It's still really up to you, but dude, read back over the last 10 posts, I've given you my opinion like 3 times :p

Totally up to you... I dont think your upgrading that much unless you would like the 37 for a TV too. IMO the screen sizes and their respectable res evens them both out to me.. so whatever that does for you is up to you.

***Update on my RMA***

4 weeks today since I called them initially. Last I heard from them yesterday when I called was to "check back in 2 to 3 weeks"

I would strongly not recommend buying this monitor for the reason of the POOR customer support. I have talked to probably 10 or more techs, and 5 or more supervisor's with no luck on finding out much at all. All the same BS response, to check back, and it normally takes over a month, yet when I originally called, they said since it was new, and DOA, they would ship me a brand new one once they received mine in.

Please consider the customer service before purchasing, as there is numerous reports of these failing soon, or being DOA like mine. A quick search over at AVS Forums shows many people having the same experience with their horrific customer service as me.

*sigh*

***Update on my RMA***

4 weeks today since I called them initially. Last I heard from them yesterday when I called was to "check back in 2 to 3 weeks"

I would strongly not recommend buying this monitor for the reason of the POOR customer support. I have talked to probably 10 or more techs, and 5 or more supervisor's with no luck on finding out much at all. All the same BS response, to check back, and it normally takes over a month, yet when I originally called, they said since it was new, and DOA, they would ship me a brand new one once they received mine in.

Please consider the customer service before purchasing, as there is numerous reports of these failing soon, or being DOA like mine. A quick search over at AVS Forums shows many people having the same experience with their horrific customer service as me.

*sigh*

Let me ask you this, then (or anyone else)... I find myself frequently having to change the channel between my HDTV channels to get the picture to fit centered on my TV. It's not always centered!!! I'm using the HDMI port for TV, and I sometimes get the same effect on the DVI2 port with my HD-DVD/Upconversion DVD players...

And... DVI1 is all F-ed up... I'm assuming that's typical.

***Update on my RMA***

*sigh*

that is exactly why in the future I will refuse to go with a budget brand again (I have the 42TX Westy)...you really do get what you pay for...live and learn.

Im looking for a bit more advanced wallmount, and a couple came up at monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...082801&p_id=3612&seq=1&format=3#specification

^^ the problem is, its meant for smaller than 37s and it doesnt do VESA100? which is the biggest the westy has. doesnt make any sense. What do you guys think

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...082801&p_id=3337&seq=1&format=3#specification

This one doesnt seem to have the same limitation, but it doesnt look as nice either, and oddly enough its more expensive

So can someone give more input about the quality of HD satellite TV, 360, HD-DVD, etc...

My Samsung looks good and is real bright and Id hate to give that up if the 1080 truly is not worth it.

my input -

HD cable is good if you use the hdmi input and 720p. It will look horrible if you send a 1080i signal, so you have to set the cable box to only allow a 720p signal. and it will also look horrible if you use the component input. 360 looks really nice over hdmi / dvi. I stream all my HD DVD MOVIES (WMVHD) threw windows media center and it looks amazing shrek 3 1080p wow!! So pretty much it's a really nice set as long as you do 2 things 1. only send progressive signals (480p,720p,1080p) and 2. use the digital inputs (hdmi,2 Dvi's, oh and vga is not bad) component looks bad.

***Update on my RMA***

*sigh*

hmmm I sent mine in for replacement and it was a decent turn-around time 4 weeks total. You have to wait 2 week from when your tv arrives at their facility to get an update on teh status.

my input -

HD cable is good if you use the hdmi input and 720p. It will look horrible if you send a 1080i signal, so you have to set the cable box to only allow a 720p signal. and it will also look horrible if you use the component input. 360 looks really nice over hdmi / dvi. I stream all my HD DVD MOVIES (WMVHD) threw windows media center and it looks amazing shrek 3 1080p wow!! So pretty much it's a really nice set as long as you do 2 things 1. only send progressive signals (480p,720p,1080p) and 2. use the digital inputs (hdmi,2 Dvi's, oh and vga is not bad) component looks bad.

I have my cable box set to 1080i, and it looks great but I haven't tried to set my cable box to 720p, I know it can and I know how but havent hehe. I dont have HD DVD or Bluray (yet) so I can't comment on that but I do play my dvds thru my computer so it "upconverts" to my monitors resolution, which would be 1920x1080. Games look awesome too and my computer supports 1920 x 1080 fine :)

maybe its just my cable box then but 1080i has serious ghosting and artifact problems. 720p has 0 ghosting. what cable box do you use irontek?

maybe its just my cable box then but 1080i has serious ghosting and artifact problems. 720p has 0 ghosting. what cable box do you use irontek?

Motorola DCH3200, just the standard Comcast HD Cable Box

It has been posted many times in this exact thread that this monitor has a terrible deinterlacer so it is not just you. To me it is night/day between 720p and 1080i, and I use a Motorola DCT3416.

Can anyone please, please give me an idea on the cheapest way to get non-digital straight out of the wall cable tv to this thing?

if it's standard def any old VCR will do fine. don't expect wonderous quality though... in fact it may be downright shitty unless you have an s-video output on your VCR. DVD recorders and DVD/VCR combos should work as well, some of which might even have HDMI or component outputs which would be massively better than composite or s-video.

if it's digital cable you'll obviously need a set top box from your provider.

It has been posted many times in this exact thread that this monitor has a terrible deinterlacer so it is not just you. To me it is night/day between 720p and 1080i, and I use a Motorola DCT3416.

I have the 42" and I just looked @ Conan O'brien at 1080i and 720p and didn't notice a difference...

conan's show has terrible HD cameras anyways. not the best.

check out sports/football games on CBS/NBC or 1080i cause you WILL see the diff. sports on ABC/Fox are 720p native unless you upscale to 1080i, which loox worse.

conan's show has terrible HD cameras anyways. not the best.

check out sports/football games on CBS/NBC or 1080i cause you WILL see the diff. sports on ABC/Fox are 720p native unless you upscale to 1080i, which loox worse.

I guess I will have to grab a second pair of eyes, I admit, I'm not the best at spotting out crappy video hehe. Yah sports are broadcast @ 720p, I can look.

Right now I'm trying to decide between a 42" Westinghouse 1080p or go with a Samsung 40" 720p. Should I go with the 1080p or with a more quality brand? I plan on hooking up my 360, ps3, wii, and mabey my computer,. It wont be used for cable TV at all since I don't get it. Which do you think will be my best bet?

6months ago there was a huge void as far as price difference between the 42 TX Westinghouse and the 40" Samsungs. Now that the Westinghouse is stuck at 989 at BB, and the 40" continuing to drop toward 1k (1299 and 1399, for the 61f and the 65f, respectively) there's not even really a value difference. I'd wait for the next frys.com deal or the next big box deal on the samsungs. Samsung's CS isn't awesome but at least it exists compared to the westinghouse. I have the 42 TX and a 4066f samsung at the moment and the image quality between the two isn't even close.

If you can afford to wait just a bit more, i'm betting the 4065f will move further toward the 1k mark after christmas/new years and i'd pick it up then. It might be different if the westy continued dropping and was say at 700-800 but it isn't.

CS isn't big factor for me because either way I'm buying a 4yr warranty at bestbuy because I live down in hawaii so sending the TV off for repairs would be way to much money to ship. But you say the Samsungs image quality is far superior to the westinghouse correct?

this one of those "you have to see it for yourself" moments

take a trip to your CC/BB/whatever's close to you and take a look at the westy (only at BB) and compare it to the samsung. In store there is a huge difference, and at home, with both calibrated there is a huge difference in anything with dark scenes which highlight the grayscale capabilites in the samsung and the lack of grayscale in the westy. Take it from me , I own both brands and can say that without a doubt go for the samsung. It is definitely worth the extra bills*.

*in my case the 4066f from BB came out to be less due to the DTV + Black friday deal at $850.

I thought this thread is bout the 37" display for PC Gaming, not a 40" or 42" for TV or consoles ??

I just want to know again, for playing WoW, Team Fortress2, is the 37" cooler than a 30" LCD

I thought this thread is about the 37" display for PC Gaming, not a 40" or 42" for TV or consoles ??

I just want to know again, for playing WoW, Team Fortress2, is the 37" cooler than a 30" LCD

heh granted..but for a time when the 37s were supposedly discontinued, a few of us grabbed the next best "cheap" westy which was the 42..thats how the discussion got here

assuming you're still trying to decide whether to get rid of the ACD 30" you need to decide whether the large loss in desktop space is okay for you or not. Otherwise, gaming will be better on the 37" (bigger is better theory here) especially since the resolution of the 30" doesn't help here.

heh granted..but for a time when the 37s were supposedly discontinued, a few of us grabbed the next best "cheap" westy which was the 42..thats how the discussion got here

assuming you're still trying to decide whether to get rid of the ACD 30" you need to decide whether the large loss in desktop space is okay for you or not. Otherwise, gaming will be better on the 37" (bigger is better theory here) especially since the resolution of the 30" doesn't help here.

Thanks and sorry for double post :) :)

I will buy the 37" for sale newegg, and for now test on my Wifeys system that sits right next to mine, she has a Athlon FX-60, 4gb memory, Raptor drive, etc...just need to replace her old X1800 ATi VideoCard with maybe a 8800GT I have seen for good sales, the 8800GT should handle it no problem ??

I have my credit card in hand ready to buy this baby, the newegg cart is at checkout, just thinking one last time before I make my final choice, yes or no ??

I don't think your gonna quit till you get it so you mise well get it.

Me personally? Id rather have a smaller screen but still big, so I can sit close and not have to look all over the place, with a high resolution. For games though, 1080p is well good enough so if your gonna be gaming most of the time I say go for it. Less strain on the card, bigger picture.

Just a follow up post here.. I've had this Westy 42" for a few months now and I am EXTREMELY pleased. Not one single problem and no dead pixels. I bought it from Newegg and I am a happy gamer! Crysis and Call Of Duty 4 are SOOOO much fun to play!

DSCN8931.jpg

Back