Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

I picked up a second jerker to match my original one. i think the 2 together turned out pretty nicely. Now I just have to work on my wire management.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4062/img2301fv8.jpg[/QUOTE]

nice. i like :).

i might pick up a galant to go on the side of my jerker for a similar effect. but it will be through craigslist so i don't spend a fortune ;)

nice. i like :).

i might pick up a galant to go on the side of my jerker for a similar effect. but it will be through craigslist so i don't spend a fortune ;)

thanks, i actually bought both desk off of craiglist. The first one I pick up for $60 and the second I got for $70. not bad since i have so much room now.

I need to know something from you people with the jerker desks. I bought one used, maybe version 1, the one with the sorta octagonal corners.

similar to this one http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...trip-mount.jpg

I'm going to go pick it up and take it apart, but the owner is not sure she has the tools. I'm trying to find out what kind of screws/bolts hold it together. If allen screws, what size? If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've been loving my Westy, but I think it's spoiled me to the extent where I now only want to run games at native res. Since Bioshock is coming out soon (and after seeing the World in Conflict beta run at 8 FPS), I need to decide what I want to do. I know there aren't many UE3 games out on PC at this point (R6:Vegas, ...actually, that's about it), but I wanted to know from actual users what hardware they had that was able to drive current games at 1920x1080, since I am in the market for some new gear.

Current rig is a stock E6400 (yes, I'm lazy, but my Rev. B Ninja/Gigabyte 965P combo is a bit finicky), 2GB DDR2 6400, and a 256MB Radeon X1950 Pro.

I've been loving my Westy, but I think it's spoiled me to the extent where I now only want to run games at native res. Since Bioshock is coming out soon (and after seeing the World in Conflict beta run at 8 FPS), I need to decide what I want to do. I know there aren't many UE3 games out on PC at this point (R6:Vegas, ...actually, that's about it), but I wanted to know from actual users what hardware they had that was able to drive current games at 1920x1080, since I am in the market for some new gear.

Current rig is a stock E6400 (yes, I'm lazy, but my Rev. B Ninja/Gigabyte 965P combo is a bit finicky), 2GB DDR2 6400, and a 256MB Radeon X1950 Pro.

8800 GTX overclocked to Ultra speeds. I think you will need at least an 8800 640 meg if you want native in Bioshock or World in Conflict or any upcoming DX10. The GTX is good in that its very easy to overclock past stock Ultra speed. At least it was for me. Since you can't do SLI on the 965 I won't even mention that.

It being improperly recognized as a W4207 is definitely not a Vista only thing. I think it happens under both XP and Vista on all NVIDIA cards with the SE version. ATI cards mysteriously detect it properly. The general fix is to create a custom resolution for 1920x1080x60p but I don't have Vista so I don't know how to do it in the new control panel, and the old control panel was completely removed from NVIDIA's Vista drivers. You'll have to scour this thread for the solution, I think. I tried searching and couldn't find it.

Completely different model and problem so the solution is completely different.

Be careful with that... the problem with the SE is in the firmware. So while you can force the PC, other devices that can only auto enumerate available resolutions will still fail to work at 1080p.

The Xbox 360 Elite will not give a 1080p option over HDMI either on the SE, and you can't force that one manually, the option is simply grayed out. I kept the non SE and returned the SE for that reason.

As far as brightness and contrast, I don't know what to say. The LCD panel itself (LG if I recall?) and the back light fixture and power supplies are identical in model and revision and so is the PCB revision, so any changes are strictly in the firmware. The only change is the missing DVI port (the solder holes are still there), the SE firmware that doesn't enumerate 1080p digital capability to outputting devices (PCs, Xbox360, etc), and the plastic on the back that fills in the missing DVI port. Other than that, they are in fact identical.

PS: the SE also has a problem with displaying some 4:3 modes, particular full screen text modes on a PC like the BIOS, POST, command prompt, etc. It always appears it stretches to 16:9 but only shows you the 4:3 portion with black columns resulting in 20 columns of text being cut off on both sides. Changing the scale mode doesn't solve anything, it just changes it further. This is only over DVI and HDMI, VGA however works correctly and displays a proportionately scaled and centered 4:3 signal.

The SE had too many problems for my liking, all due to ill constructed firmware. I could probably fix all the problems in a day if I had access to the firmware source and updating tools.

I agree that the 360 Elite over HDMI is going to suck for a few people (although I seem to remember reading someone with an SE and an Elite had it working fine over HDMI), but for me most of those problems are a non-factor. I have a notebook so it boots up to the internal screen anyways until Windows loads, so DOS/BIOS are fine. If I ever get a desktop there is no shortage of old CRT monitors laying around the house, and several LCD's I could borrow in a pinch as well. I have a PS3 which works perfectly at 1080p over HDMI, and a regular 360 that works beautifully at 1080p over VGA. Just be sure to set the color range to maximum in the dashboard resolution settings, otherwise it might be a bit washed out. Same with the PS3, there is a similar deal with the HDMI color output, go for full range.

I just wish NVIDIA's drivers weren't so stubborn -- they seem to think they are smarter than me and force interlaced mode whenever I try to create a custom resolution (either by the drivers or by Powerstrip). The only workaround that has worked for me is to "Show Standard HDTV modes" in the Classic control panel, and select 1080p from the Select TV format list. So getting 1080p60 is easy, but forcing 1080p50, 72, or 75 via the drivers is pretty much impossible and I have to use Powerstrip which has its own set of issues, such as front porch/back porch settings not being remembered after a res change. I have VERY little faith in NVIDIA's driver team now and I'll be looking closely at ATI/AMD's next-gen offerings...

I finally bit the TX-42. It's on sale at best buy now for 1070. This thing is MASSIVE. I sit two feet away from it and it's just.... amazing. easily the best purchase ever. Downloading the bioshock demo now. Pics will come up within the next few days. No dead pixels at all.

I am a little confused regarding the power save functions, so the monitor will turn off with when my computer sleeps. What settings do I enable so this will work, as I don't understand what the sleep timer does.

Thanks

I've decided I can use my TX-42 for day-to-day computer use so I went to Best Buy today to get an extended warranty. First thing I noticed was that the TX-42 wasn't on display anymore. I looked up at the storage area and couldn't find any either. Anyone know what's up with that? I did notice they had a LVM-37w3 on display for the low, low price of $1500 (Fairlawn, Ohio store). Dang it looked small. ;)

Anyways, one of my goals for the trip were to also get a price match with the $1079.99 price that's online right now (got mine out the door for $1200, so its worthwhile). But the girl said it showed $1999.99 (which is less than I paid for, but after tax, is more). I assume the price will hold until Sunday, so if I can get over there again this week, what do I need to do to get them to recognize the price? Will printing it at home be enough? I almost feel kinda cheated, because it is still on sale online...

Got 200 bucks back on my 47 TX and 20 back on my service plan. They tried to tell me the regular price on the website, but I made em stick in a cart on the site and viola..sale price shows up.

It seems all of the sales on BB end whenever they feel like turning em off, so I wouldn't delay too long getting your refund.

And as for display models not being shown....could be real popular...could be real problematic.....

In my area (dayton, oh) one of the best buys has a real awesome display wall..while the others closer to me dont. So the one you went to might be preparing to get their store remodelled and holding off on restocking.

I too am thinking about going for the 42in Westy that BB has on sale now, I really shouldnt because I just got myself a 30in HC Dell, but I intend to use the 42in for DVDs, xbox 360 (VGA) & T.V. I know most of you will be using it as a monitor but would this set be great for my intended purposes ? And does it come with a cable coaxial connection for TV ?

Have you tried the Bioshock demo? The requirements seem surprisingly forgiving.

I too am thinking about going for the 42in Westy that BB has on sale now, I really shouldnt because I just got myself a 30in HC Dell, but I intend to use the 42in for DVDs, xbox 360 (VGA) & T.V. I know most of you will be using it as a monitor but would this set be great for my intended purposes ? And does it come with a cable coaxial connection for TV ?

Anyone :( ?

Be careful with that... the problem with the SE is in the firmware. So while you can force the PC, other devices that can only auto enumerate available resolutions will still fail to work at 1080p.

The Xbox 360 Elite will not give a 1080p option over HDMI either on the SE, and you can't force that one manually, the option is simply grayed out. I kept the non SE and returned the SE for that reason.

As far as brightness and contrast, I don't know what to say. The LCD panel itself (LG if I recall?) and the back light fixture and power supplies are identical in model and revision and so is the PCB revision, so any changes are strictly in the firmware. The only change is the missing DVI port (the solder holes are still there), the SE firmware that doesn't enumerate 1080p digital capability to outputting devices (PCs, Xbox360, etc), and the plastic on the back that fills in the missing DVI port. Other than that, they are in fact identical.

PS: the SE also has a problem with displaying some 4:3 modes, particular full screen text modes on a PC like the BIOS, POST, command prompt, etc. It always appears it stretches to 16:9 but only shows you the 4:3 portion with black columns resulting in 20 columns of text being cut off on both sides. Changing the scale mode doesn't solve anything, it just changes it further. This is only over DVI and HDMI, VGA however works correctly and displays a proportionately scaled and centered 4:3 signal.

The SE had too many problems for my liking, all due to ill constructed firmware. I could probably fix all the problems in a day if I had access to the firmware source and updating tools.

I have 2 Westys, Both SE and both have the same firmware. One is always detected as a 42" the other detects correctly. The one that detects as a 42 I have to manualy override all the driver settings custom resolutions etc. Also this same westy stretches the bios screen to 16:9 but then chops it off to 4:3 so I am missing text. On my other SE, it works fine I can see all Bios Text etc. The contrast on the one that is detected was 42 also varies alot going from left to right. Where as the other westy is much more consistant.

I think I might take one back to costco this weekend, it also has a dead pixel. All that said since it is only used for a second monitor the dos screens and other issues are not extreamly bad It will suck to only have one 37" to look at though :( What would you all do?

You pretty much can't find a LVM-XXWX in Canada.

The Westinghouse TX series is available though, which gives you a full tuner as well, but doesn't come in anything smaller than 42".

Colbert, Good Point :)

jeez the price on these is still pretty bad, for 1200 I would just get the refurbished one for 650 online....

Maybe I should sell someone mine? It has a dead pix in the corner but the real reason I am returning is to build my Banshee a new Motor. lol

Still I'm having a hard time taking it back. Once I enter the room, I start calculating ways to get my $1200 Cub Cylinder by next month and Keep both westys! But when I'm at work away from it I know I have to return it. Doh! I should have returned the first one and never tested them together in dual mode!

It's a crime I haven't posted pictures of my setup yet in this thread since it helped me design my dream system :)

In any case, I just moved into a house recently and here is the semi-completed room sans posters/lights/paintings

main2.jpg

Shot of inside room overview

main3.jpg

Close-up on desk/westy/setup

main4.jpg

EASIEST cable management i have ever done. So many peripherals and hardly any wires to show.

main1.jpg

Obligatory shot of the rig :D

go team westy37w3!

how do u take photos of the westy without image blur? mine come out way too bright (the image on the screen). advice?

It's a crime I haven't posted pictures of my setup yet in this thread since it helped me design my dream system :)

In any case, I just moved into a house recently and here is the semi-completed room sans posters/lights/paintings

Obligatory shot of the rig :D

go team westy37w3!

You need to seriously reposition all five of your speakers.

I posted this in the video card forum, but maybe someone here has found a workaround for the issue I'm having:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nvidia Forceware - Scaling Issue
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1217991
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Westinghouse 37" and 8800GTX and I haven't updated my drivers for four months.

Now that Bioshock (and the new 163.44 drivers) are out I tried to update and found that they weren't scaling correctly. My windows desktop is underscanned and has a black border around it.

I went to the flat panel scaling settings and they are default on "Use my display's built in scaling" which worked fine with the older drivers, but the new drivers give me the black border.

Changing this setting won't save in either the old or new drivers... but the older drivers didn't underscan the display like the new ones.

Has this been a problem with all the driver releases in the past four months? I had to revert back to my previous drivers to fix the problem. Is there a workaround?

Thanks.
------------------------------------

anonuser

I have the same - 8800gtx and westy 37.

same freakin problems too. nvidia driver s are hte sux

I tried to stay with the 152's as long as possible, but 2 nights ago, a crash in game, had windopws vista tell me to update the vid drivers. by getting the 163 from windows update, the scaling is fixed, BUT, the image is blurry.

anonuser

I have the same - 8800gtx and westy 37.

same freakin problems too. nvidia driver s are hte sux

I tried to stay with the 152's as long as possible, but 2 nights ago, a crash in game, had windopws vista tell me to update the vid drivers. by getting the 163 from windows update, the scaling is fixed, BUT, the image is blurry.

Damn WTF...

So I'm going to have to stick with the old drivers if I want to use this monitor... this SUCKS. I can't believe more people aren't complaining about this.

Great... I see in the driver notes about Westinghouse specifically is:

"GeForce 8800 GTX: Desktop text is blurry on the Westinghouse
LVM37W3 display at native 1920x1080 resolution. [328301]"

That is your issue, but mine isn't just blurry it is also underscanned.

Hey guys if your having problems with the scaling please see this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1217672

Notice one of my Westys was defective and detects as a W4207, a properly working Westy will detect as the LVM-37W3SE. I know allot of people were able to get Westys that were being detected as W4207 to work by forcing manual custom resolution, but you SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. I spent allot of time trying to get it to work, and was able to, however on boot screens etc before the drivers are even loaded it always chops off the text! having your westy detected as the wrong display is not a driver issue, it is an issue with the monitor wich may cause you problems later (for example if you have to upgrade to a new version of drivers)

I have a 7800 GT and I blamed the Nvidia drivers / card as well. But if it was merely a driver issue then why does one screen work perfect, plug and play, and the other has "driver issues".

If your Westy looks like the screen on the right it IS defective. And I would probably suggest returning it or RMA. Both of my Westinghouse had the same Firmware and both were SE's. I know a number of people in this thread also have defective Westy's as I helped them to get theirs working using manual settings. My remaining Westy you simply go to display, and set to 1920x1080, absolutely NO manual adjustments or using any part of the Nvidia settings to get it to work.

That said the contrast, and whites are Much more even and better on the perfectly working screen than the defective one. I don't know if this is related to different parts used that are causing the issues. It would be great if someone with a Westy detecting as W4207 can also verify that their monitor is brighter on the right hand side than the left? If you can please reply to the thread I created it would be an excellent archive for info, as this thread is way too long now. The difference in contrast I am talking about is not a slight amount. In order to blend the left monitor with the defective one on the right I have to keep te one on the right with the backlight on one step higher, so like 0-20, or 20-40, although using this fix the right hand side f the defective Westy was always too bright.

Gaiden, how do you like that speaker setup? How long are the wires for the rear speakers, they do not have push terminals do they? Can you extend the wires? Thinking to pick those up on the way home tonight.

edit: oh yea when I called Westinghouse they told me it was definately a driver issue, which I have now proven it is not by purchasing a second fully operational Westy.

Colbert, Good Point :)

jeez the price on these is still pretty bad, for 1200 I would just get the refurbished one for 650 online....

Maybe I should sell someone mine? It has a dead pix in the corner but the real reason I am returning is to build my Banshee a new Motor. lol

Still I'm having a hard time taking it back. Once I enter the room, I start calculating ways to get my $1200 Cub Cylinder by next month and Keep both westys! But when I'm at work away from it I know I have to return it. Doh! I should have returned the first one and never tested them together in dual mode!
I got an '04 Banshee... wanna race? :D :D

Hey guys if your having problems with the scaling please see this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1217672

Notice one of my Westys was defective and detects as a W4207, a properly working Westy will detect as the LVM-37W3SE. I know allot of people were able to get Westys that were being detected as W4207 to work by forcing manual custom resolution, but you SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. I spent allot of time trying to get it to work, and was able to, however on boot screens etc before the drivers are even loaded it always chops off the text! having your westy detected as the wrong display is not a driver issue, it is an issue with the monitor wich may cause you problems later (for example if you have to upgrade to a new version of drivers)

I have a 7800 GT and I blamed the Nvidia drivers / card as well. But if it was merely a driver issue then why does one screen work perfect, plug and play, and the other has "driver issues".

If your Westy looks like the screen on the right it IS defective. And I would probably suggest returning it or RMA. Both of my Westinghouse had the same Firmware and both were SE's. I know a number of people in this thread also have defective Westy's as I helped them to get theirs working using manual settings. My remaining Westy you simply go to display, and set to 1920x1080, absolutely NO manual adjustments or using any part of the Nvidia settings to get it to work.edit: oh yea when I called Westinghouse they told me it was definately a driver issue, which I have now proven it is not by purchasing a second fully operational Westy.

I sent an email to Nvidia and they did say it was a known issue with the 8800 series and the westinghouse and may not ever be fixed. My monitor works fine with the April forceware but if I try anything newer than that I have the issue.

As far as I know it's not a defective monitor. I have no problems outside of the windows environment using any drivers. :(

I wonder if the SE doesn't have this problem with the 8800gtx while the regular does? This is definitely a nvidia driver issue with the 8800 series. That was their response to me.

-----------------------------
Are there any 37" SE users that have a 8800GTX and the newest drivers with no problems?

I sent an email to Nvidia and they did say it was a known issue with the 8800 series and the westinghouse and may not ever be fixed. My monitor works fine with the April forceware but if I try anything newer than that I have the issue.

As far as I know it's not a defective monitor. I have no problems outside of the windows environment using any drivers. :(

I wonder if the SE doesn't have this problem with the 8800gtx while the regular does? This is definitely a nvidia driver issue with the 8800 series. That was their response to me.

Are there any 37" SE users that have a 8800GTX and the newest drivers with no problems?
Could be I don't know, my point is that if your getting text cutoff on the bios screen, or it is detected as the wrong monitor then you have a defective panel. Also some seem to have varing contrast going from left to right. I have not played with the origional though wish I could help.

I got an '04 Banshee... wanna race? :D :D
Sure I am putting in my Crankworks 4 mil longrod crank this saterday, but won't have my cheata cub cylinders untill the shop ports them (Cases are split right now). Lots of work ahead but it should be fun since it's not a car! lol. Mines a 2000 but everything has been replaced except some hubs, few bolts and the steering stem and CDI/Ignition. Just put it on a new 05 or 06 frame (Red one) last season. They are money pits just like computers, but at least the parts don't become worthless unless you break them :)

http://www.bansheehq.com if your a forum junky, planetsand is excelent as well.

Super hard to find the 37W3 these days.

Best Buy is offering the TX42 right now for 1079.99 plus tax.

I have a 37" for my computer monitor right now and I am going to pick up a 42" for my bedroom next week.

Damn WTF...

So I'm going to have to stick with the old drivers if I want to use this monitor... this SUCKS. I can't believe more people aren't complaining about this.

Great... I see in the driver notes about Westinghouse specifically is:

"GeForce 8800 GTX: Desktop text is blurry on the Westinghouse
LVM37W3 display at native 1920x1080 resolution. [328301]"

That is your issue, but mine isn't just blurry it is also underscanned.

When I installed the new drivers, they didn't have the same setup option for 1080p that the old ones did. So I went in to make a custom resolution and left the Interlaced option unchecked. When it switched over the image was smashed and blocky. I eventualy got to to go into progressive scan looking the way it did on the old drivers. I honestly don't know how I did. Might have been a restart I dunno.

Back