Got my HP LP3065 up and running...

masaville said:
No ghosting at all. Last night I ran Call of Duty 2, Dark Messiah, and a few others and it was superb. I'm running on a pair of 8800 GTXs so I don't know if that makes a difference.

If you're considering running this monitor in 2560x1600, I can tell you that a pair of GTXs can run everything I've tried at unbelievable frame rates. 60-80 fps on average in COD2 with everything on. 50-60 fps on average in NWN2. Minimum of 60 fps in Dark Messiah (I had vert sync on). It's safe to say that we can finally game at breakneck speeds in 2560x1600......at least for a month or two. =P

Thanks for sharing your views. Do you think one card will run games in 2560x1600 resolution easily?

VE2007 said:
Thanks for sharing your views. Do you think one card will run games in 2560x1600 resolution easily?

Depends on the game, but I would say yes from what I'm seeing. Dark Messiah for example could easily run on one card, everything maxed. Call of duty.....possibly. I was getting 60-80fps on average with SLI. NWN, upwards of 40-50+ fps, 60 indoors on average so probably.

The 8800 GTX seems to be quite a powerhouse so I wouldn't be surprised if a single card ran quite well in 2560x1600. Most of the titles I have run are running at 50+ fps. Company of Heroes fps will slow down if you extend the view, but if you're at a 30-45 degree angle fps is still 40+ in SLI. So far SLI in most case has been overkill, which I'm very glad to finally be able to say. :p

masaville said:
Depends on the game, but I would say yes from what I'm seeing. Dark Messiah for example could easily run on one card, everything maxed. Call of duty.....possibly. I was getting 60-80fps on average with SLI. NWN, upwards of 40-50+ fps, 60 indoors on average so probably.

The 8800 GTX seems to be quite a powerhouse so I wouldn't be surprised if a single card ran quite well in 2560x1600. Most of the titles I have run are running at 50+ fps. Company of Heroes fps will slow down if you extend the view, but if you're at a 30-45 degree angle fps is still 40+ in SLI. So far SLI in most case has been overkill, which I'm very glad to finally be able to say. :p

Great, thank you very much. :D One thing else, what power supply are you using?

have you compared your new HP 30" with an Apple Cinema 30" any differences? I have an apple cinema 30" wondering which is better? thanks.

Demigod's Owner said:
Masaville: Thank you for your input. I am really liking what I hear so far.

The dvd playback, especially in the dark scenes not being messed up is a definite positive for me.

When you say you are looking at the two screens side by side, you are talking about the 23" HP and the 30" HP right? Can anyone here confirm that the 23" HP is also S-IPS. Because if it is, then based on what Masaville is saying about the Reds and Greens, I am returning the 3007FPW, and waiting for the HC to be released before buying anything. (I am curious how much it will cost compared to the HP unit, thats the reason for the wait). (yes I know its supposed to retail for $1,599, but there is almost certainly going to be discounts. The 3007FPW launched for $2,199 but had a 15% sale on it almost immediately.

Btw, photographing the stopwatch program can be a bit tricky, but don't lose heart, if HP hit that nail right on the head also, I most certainly know where my $1,500 is going. And I am sure it will help bunch of others to make up their minds also.

PS. anyone know what the input lag is on the 23" HP compared to a CRT?

Both the 23" HP and the 30" HP are S-IPS from different generations :)

from those 2 photos of the LCD, it looks very "squared". I thought the monitor would be somewhat wide screen shape.

Tamlin_WSGF said:
Both the 23" HP and the 30" HP are S-IPS from different generations :)
Well then, that settles the side by side comparison for me, with the new 92% a clear victor, and deservant of my hard earned money. I am making the assumption that the 23" S-IPS is not generationally, nor performance wise, too far removed from the almost 3 year old 30" Apple S-IPS or for that matter the current Dell 30" S-IPS (since it boasts the same specs as the apple one, with some marketing "enchancements").

So now its a matter of time... I have to wait and see what Dell releases, and to see what prices can be had on it. And of course to see some reviews come in.

The person who e-mailed ExtremeTech about the HP LP3065 review, any updates?

Demigod's Owner said:
Well then, that settles the side by side comparison for me, with the new 92% a clear victor, and deservant of my hard earned money. I am making the assumption that the 23" S-IPS is not generationally, nor performance wise, too far removed from the almost 3 year old 30" Apple S-IPS or for that matter the current Dell 30" S-IPS (since it boasts the same specs as the apple one, with some marketing "enchancements").

So now its a matter of time... I have to wait and see what Dell releases, and to see what prices can be had on it. And of course to see some reviews come in.

The person who e-mailed ExtremeTech about the HP LP3065 review, any updates?

Ya, it would be nice to see a review by a reputable source and someone who can comment on the technical features (heh....that's not me :p ). At the end of the all I can say is...Final Verdict: Looks damn good!

masaville said:
Both work, fixed aspect and NV scaling. Haven't seen Diablo in years. Reminded me of some late nights, heh.
Really, well that's great news. That means even older games can be displayed a lot bigger without being stretched. Also, that's very interesting that you notice that the colors are more vibrant. I'll probably be buying my 30" in Jan, either the HP or Dell's upcoming one which looks like it uses the same panel.

zzz said:
Really, well that's great news. That means even older games can be displayed a lot bigger without being stretched. Also, that's very interesting that you notice that the colors are more vibrant. I'll probably be buying my 30" in Jan, either the HP or Dell's upcoming one which looks like it uses the same panel.

Actually maybe I misunderstood the original post. It did stretch it, 4:3, but stretched.

masaville said:
Actually maybe I misunderstood the original post. It did stretch it, 4:3, but stretched.
With the "fixed aspect ratio timing", it's supposed to not stretch it and maintain the 4:3 ratio, putting black bars on the screen (pillerboxing). When you use that option and fire up an old game, are you saying the image is still stretched?

If so, you can also try the PowerStrip solution I linked here. I've never had a widescreen to experiment on, so I'd like to hear if that PowerStrip solution works for you using an nvidia card and LP3065 (since that's what I'll probably get).

Just wondering, has anyone used a 1080 source on this thing. 360 or somthing. I am wondeirng what kind of scaling it will do. 1:1 aspect ratio etc

BPini said:
Just wondering, has anyone used a 1080 source on this thing. 360 or somthing. I am wondeirng what kind of scaling it will do. 1:1 aspect ratio etc
it will do absolutely nothing. No scaling, no 1:1, nothing. Just an empty black screen.

It excepts two precise inputs, and only two inputs. One is 1280x800 the other is 2560x1600.

Once you get it up to 2560x1600, your video card can do the scaling down to the other resolutions, but not the monitor.

Demigod's Owner said:
it will do absolutely nothing. No scaling, no 1:1, nothing. Just an empty black screen.

It excepts two precise inputs, and only two inputs. One is 1280x800 the other is 2560x1600.

Once you get it up to 2560x1600, your video card can do the scaling down to the other resolutions, but not the monitor.

I didn't realize that is how these monitors work. Thanks for the heads up

I can second that.

So far, I have found no dead pixels either. Have not yet done extensive testing (color calibrated, checked for supported resolutions below native, etc.), but hope to soon.

canislupy said:
So far, I have found no dead pixels either. Have not yet done extensive testing (color calibrated, checked for supported resolutions below native, etc.), but hope to soon.
I've been wondering, how do you go about color-calibrating a monitor for its colors? Do you first do it through the monitor's OSD (if applicable), and then tweak video card settings? In the LP3065's case, I suppose you can only do the latter. Is there a special program you use for that?

zzz said:
I've been wondering, how do you go about color-calibrating a monitor for its colors? Do you first do it through the monitor's OSD (if applicable), and then tweak video card settings? In the LP3065's case, I suppose you can only do the latter. Is there a special program you use for that?
Despite the lack of an official OSD in the Dell 3007WFP, there is a test menu, which if its anything like the 1907FPs, will have some color adjustments as well. I was kinda hoping to use those settings to calibrate mine when I got it.

I use the Colorvision Spyder2 with the Software that comes with the Spyder2Pro.

The LP3065 does not have an OSD (as per user guide). If there is a OSD for technician calibration (which I doubt), I am unaware of it.

Yes, this monitor only has brightness control, but that does not preclude using color calibration sensor/software to make custom color profiling for color matching between monitor, printer and digital camera. I have Monaco EZColor and the OptixXR to calibrate all three. Have yet to run it against the monitor though.

What's up with these monitors coming out with no OSD? Is this a cost-saving measure or what? I'd rather not have to install extra software to calibrate a monitor other than the Spyder2Pro software I typically use.

Firstly thanks for the review masaville.. much appreciated.

Seeing as i can get this monitor cheaper via a friend im seriously considering it. Will be upgrading from a HP P1230 22" CRT.

The only thing that is stopping me from purchasing it is how it looks and performs from a gaming perspective. Im one who has always been surrounded by CRT's and have had very little exposure to TFT's in general. From memory ive only seen games run on one model of tft which i believe was a HP LP2065. Ye ye i know im pythetic... :eek:

When i saw it back then i was absolutely appaulled. The image was very pixelated with jaggies galore... even while running at max res and with aa applied. In saying that though it was quite a while back and obviously the panels have improved in quality since then. Overall im just worried i may be extremely dissappointed. Been searching for online reviews but cant seem to find any so im going by what is being posted on various forums ect.

So far ive heard positive things but i need to hear it again LOL. So masaville im just curious as to how it looks overall when running games, the pics you have posted so far look sweet. In general is the picture sharp and crisp, do you notice much pixelation and do you notice many jaggies when running at high res with aa applied? If by any chance you may have some more pics of this puppy in action while gaming i'd love to see em.

Anyway man thanks for the info... ;)

I did end up running EZColor using the OptixXR last night to make a custom color profile. What this allows you to do primarily, if get a custom color match profile to match your other devices, as well as adjust the monitors brightness for your room or work environment.

To Alien8ed, I have run BF2 and WoW so far on this monitor and I have no issues with it at all, so long as you run the game at native resolution. Running games at anything less than 2560x1600 looks terrible IMO. Currently BF2 does not support WS resolutions, so you have to tweak it to do so, and even then the aspect is off, but at least it is not scaling. Coming from CRT, it takes an adjustment to get used to LCD, I wont lie, I would imagine that if you always use CRT and didn't like LCD before, you probably won't like them now, at least at first. I got used to them, and now I'm completely fine with all things LCD. Actually, CRT's used to be a problem for me since I could see flicker at anything under 85hz. Not a problem on LCDs.

I will try to take some pictures of games on screen tonight.

canislupy said:
The LP3065 does not have an OSD (as per user guide). If there is a OSD for technician calibration (which I doubt), I am unaware of it.

Yes, this monitor only has brightness control, but that does not preclude using color calibration sensor/software to make custom color profiling for color matching between monitor, printer and digital camera. I have Monaco EZColor and the OptixXR to calibrate all three. Have yet to run it against the monitor though.
The info below is taken from Dell Forums and relates to the Dell 3007WFP's hidden menu:

* Turn the monitor off
* Hold down the Menu button and the plus button
* While holding the other two down, press the power button. Wait for the DVI connector graphic to disappear
* Release all buttons
* Press the minus button. The Service Menu should appear
* Press the plus button to highlight Exit Menu
* Press the Menu button to Exit

So its there. I havent seen this myself, so I don't know if it will let you calibrate colors in there. But its there (and it is NOT documented).

If you have the hardware to run it, I'm pretty sure you will be more than impressed. I'm running it on two 8800 GTX cards, but a single 8800 might be able to handle it for many games (not all though if you want to crank everything up). Colors are gorgeous. No ghosting or image lag when whatsoever. I have tried about 10-15 titles on it and all have been fantastic. I don't see any noticable flaws except that it does not have an OSD, just brightness controls and a button for toggling display mode (for DVI ports I believe).

There's nothing like gaming in 2560, especially when the colors look as good as they do on this monitor. If you are running 8800s and crank up the antialiasing the image quality is superb. No jaggies whatsoever, but of course that varies on in-game settings and vid card settings (if they support AA, etc.).

I'll post some more screenshots tonight of a few different titles so you can see how they look. I'll make sure they don't resized as well so you can view them in 2560. Those others I took were not that great.

ALien8ed said:
Firstly thanks for the review masaville.. much appreciated.

Seeing as i can get this monitor cheaper via a friend im seriously considering it. Will be upgrading from a HP P1230 22" CRT.

The only thing that is stopping me from purchasing it is how it looks and performs from a gaming perspective. Im one who has always been surrounded by CRT's and have had very little exposure to TFT's in general. From memory ive only seen games run on one model of tft which i believe was a HP LP2065. Ye ye i know im pythetic... :eek:

When i saw it back then i was absolutely appaulled. The image was very pixelated with jaggies galore... even while running at max res and with aa applied. In saying that though it was quite a while back and obviously the panels have improved in quality since then. Overall im just worried i may be extremely dissappointed. Been searching for online reviews but cant seem to find any so im going by what is being posted on various forums etc.

So far ive heard positive things but i need to hear it again LOL. So masaville im just curious as to how it looks overall when running games, the pics you have posted so far look sweet. In general is the picture sharp and crisp, do you notice much pixelation and do you notice many jaggies when running at high res with aa applied? If by any chance you may have some more pics of this puppy in action while gaming i'd love to see em.

Anyway man thanks for the info... ;)

Ya, if you run in lower resolutions I can see that you might noticed more jagged edges, etc. when gaming, seeing as the monitor is so big. Pretty standard with any LCD though.

Question: Is it worth calibrating for gaming? Looks pretty good to me, but sounds like that app might be useful. Can I download that somewhere or ?

canislupy said:
I did end up running EZColor using the OptixXR last night to make a custom color profile. What this allows you to do primarily, if get a custom color match profile to match your other devices, as well as adjust the monitors brightness for your room or work environment.

To Alien8ed, I have run BF2 and WoW so far on this monitor and I have no issues with it at all, so long as you run the game at native resolution. Running games at anything less than 2560x1600 looks terrible IMO. Currently BF2 does not support WS resolutions, so you have to tweak it to do so, and even then the aspect is off, but at least it is not scaling. Coming from CRT, it takes an adjustment to get used to LCD, I wont lie, I would imagine that if you always use CRT and didn't like LCD before, you probably won't like them now, at least at first. I got used to them, and now I'm completely fine with all things LCD. Actually, CRT's used to be a problem for me since I could see flicker at anything under 85hz. Not a problem on LCDs.

I will try to take some pictures of games on screen tonight.

masaville said:
Question: Is it worth calibrating for gaming? Looks pretty good to me, but sounds like that app might be useful. Can I download that somewhere or ?

Absolutely not. The driver CD comes with HP's color profile for this monitor which is perfectly fine for all normal use. I have a color calibrator and software in order to ensure that the colors I work with on the monitor while editing photographs is what I am going to see when I print them. The calibrator & software cost me $500. This is mid to low-end of the price range for these items. Gretag-MacBeth being the expensive one, which I would have liked but couldn't justify buying.

Demigod's Owner said:
The info below is taken from Dell Forums and relates to the Dell 3007WFP's hidden menu:

* Turn the monitor off
* Hold down the Menu button and the plus button
* While holding the other two down, press the power button. Wait for the DVI connector graphic to disappear
* Release all buttons
* Press the minus button. The Service Menu should appear
* Press the plus button to highlight Exit Menu
* Press the Menu button to Exit

So its there. I havent seen this myself, so I don't know if it will let you calibrate colors in there. But its there (and it is NOT documented).

Lol, I forgot... there is no "Menu" button on the HP, 'cus it doesn't have an OSD! :p

I tried key combo's in similar fashion, no success.

Masaville and Canislupy, many thanks for your replies... ;)

And ye if you do get the chance to post some more ingame screenies of this puppy in action that would be very much appreciated... :D

Thanks again.

ALien8ed said:
Masaville and Canislupy, many thanks for your replies... ;)

And ye if you do get the chance to post some more ingame screenies of this puppy in action that would be very much appreciated... :D

Thanks again.

Coming right away, just finishing up the last few.
---------------

Here you go, variety of games. Click download file on page to view them. All in 2560x1600, some with AA/AF/HDR on, some without.

http://s29.quicksharing.com/v/8072983/1.jpg.html
http://s29.quicksharing.com/v/4700346/2.jpg.html
http://s19.quicksharing.com/v/375258/3.jpg.html
http://s29.quicksharing.com/v/206993/4.jpg.html
http://s29.quicksharing.com/v/2284388/5.jpg.html
http://s29.quicksharing.com/v/5907897/6.jpg.html
http://s29.quicksharing.com/v/1128068/7.jpg.html
http://s29.quicksharing.com/v/9719861/9.jpg.html

Has anybody used both this HP and the Dell 30" panel and can comment?

I do a lot of photo editing so it's down to either the HP or the Dell 3007WFP-HC, however, I have limited vertical desk space with shelving above, so the attractive feature of the Dell is I could lower the screen so that the bottom would touch the desk. How low can the HP go?

masaville, thanks for the effort, but as we already commented on page 2 of this thread, it's silly to just post in-game screenshots when you're trying to show off the monitor! That's just what the video card is sending. You need to use a digital camera.

The Real Zardoz said:
Has anybody used both this HP and the Dell 30" panel and can comment?

I do a lot of photo editing so it's down to either the HP or the Dell 3007WFP-HC, however, I have limited vertical desk space with shelving above, so the attractive feature of the Dell is I could lower the screen so that the bottom would touch the desk. How low can the HP go?
The owners can comment better, but the specs say "Dimensions (h × w × d) Unpacked: 19.3 to 23.2 x 27.2 x 9.5in (49.0 to 59.0 x 69.2 x 24.0 cm); Head only: 17.9 x 27.2 x 3.3 in (45.5 x 69.2 x 8.4 cm)".

Back