Got my HP LP3065 up and running...

zzz said:
masaville, thanks for the effort, but as we already commented on page 2 of this thread, it's silly to just post in-game screenshots when you're trying to show off the monitor! That's just what the video card is sending. You need to use a digital camera.

He was asking about the AA and AF, not color. He wanted to know how the images looked (i.e. jagged edges, etc.).

Here is a pic of BF2 at 2560x1600 4x/16x/multisample/quality.

bf2-1_hp30.jpg

Full resolution [WARNING 5MB] http://canislupy.com/images/bf2-1_hp30_lg.jpg

Imaged in low light condition, so I had to run ISO higher than I would have liked, as well as upping the brightness. I will try to get some daylight shots in sometime soo to use a lower ISO and faster shutter.

canislupy said:

Full resolution [WARNING 5MB] http://canislupy.com/images/bf2-1_hp30_lg.jpg

Imaged in low light condition, so I had to run ISO higher than I would have liked, as well as upping the brightness. I will try to get some daylight shots in sometime soo to use a lower ISO and faster shutter.
You'll be better off with a tripod if you're trying to get a lower ISO shot. The monitor will be your main/only source of light, so doing it in daylight wouldn't help to get a proper exposure as you'll be exposing for the light generated by the monitor, not ambient light around the monitor.

Nice work with the photo, but it's weird that people always ask for photos of something or another running on a monitor. You can't really tell how good/bad the monitor is from a photo of it unless there's some huge defect like severely uneven backlighting or something. Plus when photos are done properly like yours (maximizing pixel real estate by trying to fit the monitor exactly in the picture), invariably monitors look worse than they do in person--the pixel structure is very obvious in close-up photos like this. Yeah, it's cool to see big monitors in action, but it doesn't really help anybody trying to make a purchase decision. Once again not knocking your effort at all, so please don't take it that way.

No worries. :D It also doesn't help that digital cameras are sometimes affected by moire and the like when shooting LCD's as targets. Also, I had to frame to the LCD since the background was so much darker, I didn't show you the pictures that came out much worse by including my desk/pc and dragged the shutter time down to 1/8-1/20th at ISO 800. Greater ambient lighting will help in that I will not have to frame the LCD, and thus not get too close up on the monitor and its pixel array while keeping a faster shutter time.

In any case, I will give it another try in daylight just so people can get some idea, although as you point out, its nothing like seeing it in person.

masaville said:

canislupy said:

http://canislupy.com/images/bf2-1_hp30_lg.jpg

Thankyou kindly fellas... really appreciate the effort... ;)

ATM im leaning more towards getting one than not... :D

woops... seems that i missed a couple pages there >.>

Nice pics, love the monitor. Would pick one up myself if I didn't just get an lcd :D

Thanks to both of you for the pics.

Santa, if you're reading this, I want one!

What frame rates were you getting again? :confused:
I've come to the conclusion that I will wait for .....*sigh* yes I will wait even longer still for an overclocked 8800gtx from one of the board makers next month.
omg I can't believe I'm still waiting!
I want to run most of my games and everything else with just one card when I get the hp lp3065. I just can't afford TWO 8800gtx cards. =/

Can you give me your opinion on how well 1920x1200 and 1600x1200 resolutions scale on your display? I'm not sure if I will be picking up a new video card at the same that I purchase a 30" display. That's a lot of bucks to shell out at one time when you have a family to support!

How well does this monitor compare to the other 30in lcds from the other companies? It seems as though this look to be one of the more solid displays, based on reviews and cust. reviews, but there isn't a whole heck of a lot of information out about it. I'd mainly be using it for editing photos, photoshop, illustrator, etc... with the occassional gaming. Anybody that already has this monitor want to chime in? And would there be any difference in quality between this and the 24in. version?

WinCC said:
Is there any buzzing or humming or any other sound from this beast ?

you must be thinking of the dell then. ONly dell make those humming noise

How well the scaling of lower resolutions looks on a 30" monitor will vary depending on the graphics card. My 8800GTX's pretty much allow me to set any resolution I want in windows and it shows up on screen as the 8800GTX does the conversion of the lower res to the monitors native res. IMO, anything but native res bugs me. Jaggies and blur.

My friend has the Apple Cinema 30" deisplay, which is a very nice display. Its slower refresh is slightly apparent to me in gaming. I have not worked with either enough in photo/apps enough to compare on those merits.

tesfaye said:
Can you give me your opinion on how well 1920x1200 and 1600x1200 resolutions scale on your display? I'm not sure if I will be picking up a new video card at the same that I purchase a 30" display. That's a lot of bucks to shell out at one time when you have a family to support!
FYI, in order to run at 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 you must have a dual-link video card. Otherwise you'd be capped at 1280x800.

Wait!
I've changed my mind. I think I will order a eVGA 8800gtx monday and do the step up next month when Nvidia counters the R600 at cebit. :D

Happy Hopping said:
you must be thinking of the dell then. ONly dell make those humming noise

I have had enough of Dell :mad: , six whining 2405´s and two humming 2407´s has made me "worried" when buying a new monitor, I hope my newly ordered HP LP3065 is silent

zzz said:
FYI, in order to run at 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 you must have a dual-link video card. Otherwise you'd be capped at 1280x800.
Thanks, I'm aware of that. I'm all set in that department. Check my sig.

What's with the whining/humming on these Dell monitors? Are they using cheap transformers or something? All of my dell displays are silent.

canislupy said:
The LP3065 does not have an OSD (as per user guide). If there is a OSD for technician calibration (which I doubt), I am unaware of it.

Yes, this monitor only has brightness control, but that does not preclude using color calibration sensor/software to make custom color profiling for color matching between monitor, printer and digital camera. I have Monaco EZColor and the OptixXR to calibrate all three. Have yet to run it against the monitor though.

what are the disadvantage w/o the OSD for those who own this monitor and obviously has been using OSD on older CRT/LCD in the past.

Originally Posted by zzz
Masa, I'd also be very interested to hear if you can get old games to display in a "best-fit w/o stretching" mode,
where they'd fill the screen top-to-bottom, and have black bars on each side, maintaining 4:3. Maybe you can
load up Diablo, Starcraft, or some other fixed-resolution game and see if that works.

Originally Posted by masaville
Both work, fixed aspect and NV scaling. Haven't seen Diablo in years. Reminded me of some late nights, heh.

Originally Posted by masaville
Actually maybe I misunderstood the original post. It did stretch it, 4:3, but stretched.
Maybe masa or someone else can clear this up for me. If you set the nvidia option "fixed aspect ratio timing", does
that make 4:3 games display "best fit w/o stretching" (filling the top to bottom and putting black bars on each side),
or does the option put black bars on all 4 sides and shrink the image to native pixels?

ATI's similar option "use centered timings" seems to do the latter (based on what I've read).

This is important because I don't want to be forced to play games either all stretched out or in a tiny native-pixel box
in the center of the screen. "Best-fit w/o stretching" is critical before I buy this 30".

WinCC said:
I have had enough of Dell :mad: , six whining 2405´s and two humming 2407´s has made me "worried" when buying a new monitor, I hope my newly ordered HP LP3065 is silent

Where did you order it from and how much? :confused:

StalkerZER0 said:
Where did you order it from and how much? :confused:

I live in Sweden and I have bought it at www.dustinhome.se for about $2000(includes 25% tax). I have just installed it and there are some problems though.... it´s humming when brightness is below 100% and I do not get any video signal before windows drivers is loaded (I´m not sure if that depends on monitor or video card ) :mad: Now I have to decide if to return or not.

zzz said:
Thanks to both of you for the pics.

Santa, if you're reading this, I want one!

LOL...better start writing your letter. There's a review of the new Dell on http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=7&articleid=915&cid=2. From the review the HP sounds like it's identical, except it has 3 DVI ports instead of one. I ran those same tests in Everest myself and pretty well had the same results as those they mentioned in the review. Can't really go wrong with either, except Dell isn't available until Feb from what they say.

WinCC said:
I live in Sweden and I have bought it at www.dustinhome.se for about $2000(includes 25% tax). I have just installed it and there are some problems though.... it´s humming when brightness is below 100% and I do not get any video signal before windows drivers is loaded (I´m not sure if that depends on monitor or video card ) :mad: Now I have to decide if to return or not.

is this humming from the DELL 30" or the HP 30" you bought there?

videomasterz said:
is this humming from the DELL 30" or the HP 30" you bought there?

It´s the HP LP3065 that is humming, maybe all 24" and larger monitors humm :rolleyes: I probably send this back and buy 2 Samsung 214T that I know from work to be silent.

I'm convinced that the buzzing/humming problem might be related to the environment of the user. A while back, one poster ordered like 3-4 3007's, and he kept posting "another buzzer!", like they all buzzed. Now this WinCC guy has said "six whining 2405´s and two humming 2407´s" and now a buzzing LP3065! Maybe there's strong EMI at his place, or maybe his AC power has lots of noise.

masaville said:
LOL...better start writing your letter. There's a review of the new Dell on http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=7&articleid=915&cid=2. From the review the HP sounds like it's identical, except it has 3 DVI ports instead of one. I ran those same tests in Everest myself and pretty well had the same results as those they mentioned in the review. Can't really go wrong with either, except Dell isn't available until Feb from what they say.
Thanks for the review link. It's extremely lame that the reviewer didn't even mention the LP3065, which has been available for 1.5 months and uses the exact same panel.

What is the difference between these two 2 x dual 6-pin PCI-E connector and 2 x 8-pin PCI-E connector? What do you do with the 8pin pci-e connector, I know that you use the 2 x 6pin connector for graphics card, but what about the other one? :confused:

zzz said:
I'm convinced that the buzzing/humming problem might be related to the environment of the user. A while back, one poster ordered like 3-4 3007's, and he kept posting "another buzzer!", like they all buzzed. Now this WinCC guy has said "six whining 2405´s and two humming 2407´s" and now a buzzing LP3065! Maybe there's strong EMI at his place, or maybe his AC power has lots of noise.

I ´m not convinced that environment is an issue here, first I have to tell that this "humming" is not to be heard if brightness is at 100%, so when power is not regulated there is no "humming", second is that I live on countryside with no sound from outside my house and my room is silent as "dead silent" the computer is in another room , if I turn on my TV in another room I can´t hear the "humming" neither if I play music on any volume, I belive that for 99.9% of users this is not even recognized at all.

when you hear the hummmming is your monitor vibrating at all? or moving a bit? that is really weird..... is there a wall right behind your monitor? maybe a concrete wall?

i remmeber back then when LCD's were so expensive... that when i moved my comptuer to a different location in the house.... my CRT monitor would have this weird purple effect... when i moved it just 5 inches to the right it dissappered... i came to the conclusion that there is some sort of rebar in my concrete wall that is causing the monitor to look like that.. maybe it is the environment????

videomasterz said:
when you hear the hummmming is your monitor vibrating at all? or moving a bit? that is really weird..... is there a wall right behind your monitor? maybe a concrete wall?

i remmeber back then when LCD's were so expensive... that when i moved my comptuer to a different location in the house.... my CRT monitor would have this weird purple effect... when i moved it just 5 inches to the right it dissappered... i came to the conclusion that there is some sort of rebar in my concrete wall that is causing the monitor to look like that.. maybe it is the environment????

The monitor is sitting on a desk 8 feet from a wall, I even tried some of my Dell´s in the kitchen with no difference at all. I´m 100% sure this "humming" is by how they are designed.
I´m sending it back and buying 2 Samsung 214T´s instead.The problem not being able to see boot screen add up to that decision.No dead pixels though.

WinCC said:

omg!!!! :(
Damn it!! ITs like playin russian roulette! Now I'm gonna be sweatin bullets til I get mine working and with no probs.
ARGHHH DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

VE2007 said:
What is the difference between these two 2 x dual 6-pin PCI-E connector and 2 x 8-pin PCI-E connector? What do you do with the 8pin pci-e connector, I know that you use the 2 x 6pin connector for graphics card, but what about the other one? :confused:

where did you see anyone in this thread mentioned 8 pin connector for PCI E?

The only 2 options available is the 6 pin to your video card, and the 4 pin molex x 2 for those whose power supply doesn't c/w a 6 pin connector.

Happy Hopping said:
where did you see anyone in this thread mentioned 8 pin connector for PCI E?

The only 2 options available is the 6 pin to your video card, and the 4 pin molex x 2 for those whose power supply doesn't c/w a 6 pin connector.

http://silverstonetek.com/products-op1000.htm ( In the connectors section)

I did not say that anyone mentioned about the 8pin, I just like to know info on it?

I know there are 8 pin power connectors for new motherboards that require it... but silverstones site says:

"2 x 8-pin PCI-E connector ( 550mm ) "

i dont even thing my enermax galaxy 1,000 has a 8pin pcie connector lol only the 12volts 8pin for mobo

VE2007 said:
http://silverstonetek.com/products-op1000.htm ( In the connectors section)

I did not say that anyone mentioned about the 8pin, I just like to know info on it?
that web site could really use bigger fonts. Maybe they didn't know it does not cost any extra money for bigger fonts.

There is no application that I know of that is PCI E and also uses 8 pin. Only proposed future application from ATI R600 video card may be using it.

Hi fellas,

A friend of mine purchsed this puppy and he tells me it will only allow him to select a max res. of 1280x800. He's running 2 xfx 7800gtx's which support dual-link DVI as per the product page and he's installed the latest drivers, tried both the dvi cables supplied with the monitor but he says he's unable to select anything above that resolution... hmmm.

Im running an 8800gtx and he may bring it round to see how it goes on my box but anybody have any ideas as to why he's unable to go any higher than 1280x800. I told him it's proably cause your cards do not support dual-link dvi but he insists they do.

Cheers.

I now have an 5 year old Samsung 181T instead of the humming LP3065 and it is silent as a dead duck,with this I can confirm that there is no external interferences and I´m pretty sure this humming is by design.

WinCC said:
I now have an 5 year old Samsung 181T instead of the humming LP3065 and it is silent as a dead duck,with this I can confirm that there is no external interferences and I´m pretty sure this humming is by design.

you know what i did read somewhere that this "humming" is also found in the DELL 30" and the HP 30" but no humming for the apple 30" which i have now.. mabye better quality control at the apple warehouse...

I guess I've been lucky so far. No humming or pixel problems on my HP LP3065. :)
I got to try 3dmax on this thing.
Is anybody here into starship designs? Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions is the best site out there for a comprehensive display of just about every single starship design that has been made in the entirety (is that a word?) of the science fiction genre. He has every spaceship imaginable laid out on grid patterns in multiple size ranges. In internet explorer you can even move ships around on screen to compare ships to each other.
And on a 2560x1600 display its just simply amazing!!!! :cool:
Check em out! Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions..............................................................

videomasterz said:
you know what i did read somewhere that this "humming" is also found in the DELL 30" and the HP 30" but no humming for the apple 30" which i have now.. mabye better quality control at the apple warehouse...

It is actually possible that the more expensive Apple 30" is a much better designed product that uses better electronics, "you get what you pay for" is almost always true.

Back