Google's Schmidt To Visit North Korea

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why in the word would Google's executive chairman need to visit North Korea?

Eric Schmidt will be traveling to North Korea on a private, humanitarian mission led by former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson that could take place as early as this month, sources told The Associated Press on Wednesday. The sources, two people familiar with the group's plans, asked not to be named because the visit had not been made public.

To showcase Google glass and the amazing spying capability? /tinfoil hat.

I guess another question is why does the former N.M Governor have such close relations with N.K.?

Hopefully something good will come of this. Didn't Kim Jong Un say he wanted to modernize NK and make peace with SK. Maybe offing all of those high ranking government and military people was part of a bigger plan or, perhaps, wishful thinking on my part.

Hopefully something good will come of this. Didn't Kim Jong Un say he wanted to modernize NK and make peace with SK. Maybe offing all of those high ranking government and military people was part of a bigger plan or, perhaps, wishful thinking on my part.

On top of that, a new president was elected in South Korea who has friendly relations with her North neighbors. South Korea *is* one of the technology capital of the world and perhaps they're extending technological aids to the north.

Hopefully it doesn't backfire and make the Red Dawn remake come true!

Hopefully it doesn't backfire and make the Red Dawn remake come true!

Every time the North got what they wanted, they went back to their old ways until we gave them more things that they wanted. It's been a never ending cycle that the world keeps repeating.

Kim Jong Un just wants to get in on 'Gangnam Style' on North Korean TV.

If you want to see something sad, check out nighttime satellite images of north/south korea. You know where south ends and north begins because south is full of bright lights and north is just darkness like barren wasteland.

Edit:
111219-holiday-korea1-120p.photoblog900.jpg

I went on a tour there in 2010. The big library/place the leader stands alot, The People's Study House, used flat-panel Dells with Windows XP, and a modded version of Internet Explorer with a DPRK flag on it. The tech level in the building was surprisingly like any mid-size US city library. Just no internet of course.

Oddly, despite their seeming technological backwardness, when we were out in the middle of nowhere on a bus to the DMZ, and I mean literally in the woods, our tour guide got a call on her cell phone. Maybe they have antennas in the trees or something!

More than likely some opportunity to make money is being made available.

For example, all these years later, do you hear of any outrage at Cisco for selling China customized firewalls in order to censor its citizens?

[newscaster voice]

...and that's how the dog rescued 3 firefighters at the park...

In other news, North Korea has the world's fastest Internet access. Google expanded their FTTP program when Kim Jong Un asked for a fiberhood a plush Pyongyang suburb. When Google was asked why North Korea, the CEO was quoted as saying "North Korea? Where's that? Can we offer them some ad based web search content?"

Now to sports... The Hawks beat the Falcons 10-9 last night....

[/newscaster voice]

Isn't this the guy who can't say anything without pissing a buncha people off by being creepy? How's that gonna work for him over there?

As a lover of astronomy and astrophotography, and shoot, just looking up at the night sky and being able to see the tendrils of the Milky Way, that picture makes me wish more land had fewer lights at night.

Thats funny, I thought North Korea didn't allow foreigners or anybody outside NK into their country. But I do hope something good comes out of this.

Thats funny, I thought North Korea didn't allow foreigners or anybody outside NK into their country. But I do hope something good comes out of this.
It's an interesting tour, and legal even to US citizens. They don't stamp passports, but they do confiscate them. There's no free movement, only strict guided tours, though the number of people on a tour can be as little as 1. When I took my tour, Henry Rollins was also there, doing a solo tour with just a guide and a driver.

http://www.koryogroup.com/ (cheap plug for the tour company I used, they are awesome)

Wait, isn't NK on the "do no business withi" list ?

You think labor costs in China and India are cheap, just wait until you see the North Korean prices

If they network their country before they feed their people.. then KJU needs to get his priorities straight. There has been a famine there since when? The early 90's??

If they network their country before they feed their people.. then KJU needs to get his priorities straight. There has been a famine there since when? The early 90's??

I don't think there's ever been a time where the people weren't starving, famine or no.

In my opinion if any place needs help in NK. A complete shit hole of oppression and starvation.....But more less war torn than Africa so it would be more easy to develop/manipulate the populous.

I'd say the trip will do nothing and mean nothing just a rich guy trying to make himself feel good.

On the Optimistic side of things maybe they will be getting Google Fiber over ALL of North Korea. Its also possible for google to flat out buy North Korea. They wouldn't have to do so much work to avoid taxes if they became their own nation......I'd move to google in a heart beat.

Back