Google's New Street View Backpack

I wonder how many muggings for the internal components will occur.

If you weren't already in shape lugging that monstrosity around all day will probably help.

If you weren't already in shape lugging that monstrosity around all day will probably help.

It's actually just an array of Android phones inside a box filled with packing peanuts so it probably weighs almost nothing. They just dressed it up so that it impressed all of us with it's creepy, giant Google eyeball-ness.

Humor aside, I think this backpack approach has a lot of potential among cyclists and hikers when Google shows us more trails than we thought we had in our town or surrounding towns to venture on.

It weighs 35lbs according to the article. That isn't terrible but carrying it all day would certainly get tiring.

It weighs 35lbs according to the article. That isn't terrible but carrying it all day would certainly get tiring.

I don't think 35 pounds in a good hiking backpack is much. If you're using a school backpack, then yeah the straps will pull on your shoulders, but a good hiking backpack should evenly distribute the pressure of the weight among your shoulders, upper and lower back.

Funny, i always thought google street cameras has one of those wrap around lenses. I didn't think they were actually stitched together.

Why does it have to be so bulky?

What the hell? Slap a GoPro and a GPS on a helmet and be done with it.

What the hell? Slap a GoPro and a GPS on a helmet and be done with it.

Yeah right. GoPros are about $150 a pop for their lesser models. Have you ever seen StreetView visual quality to be that of GoPro or even a $70 Cybershot quality? They're probably using recycled cell phones to take pictures. :-P

I speak as a GoPro Hero 2 owner. Their 1080p video and HD photo quality is phenomenal and their jitter control is amazing.

Yeah right. GoPros are about $150 a pop for their lesser models. Have you ever seen StreetView visual quality to be that of GoPro or even a $70 Cybershot quality? They're probably using recycled cell phones to take pictures. :-P

Yeah, Street view quality appears equivalent to my old first generation Motoroal Razr's 640x480 VGA camera.

I find the size of this thing shocking. I can't imagine why it needs to be so big, you'd think they could do this with a lightweight nettop, a USB hub, and a few USB webcams mounted in a helmet...

Zarathustra[H];1038814360 said:
Yeah, Street view quality appears equivalent to my old first generation Motoroal Razr's 640x480 VGA camera.

I find the size of this thing shocking. I can't imagine why it needs to be so big, you'd think they could do this with a lightweight nettop, a USB hub, and a few USB webcams mounted in a helmet...

Netbook, not nettop.

Wow, wear one of those and the girls will be throwing their panties at you! :p

Going in a different direction...

I hike a ton, and haul 25lbs plus all the time. Where might I go to get myself a job as a Street View Mule?

I'd totally do this.

They need street view within Ikea so couples can plan their trips out there better

Somehow it reminds me of this oldie...

ordinateurportable.jpg

Back