• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google Voice

kaz4541

n00b
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
27
Has anyone heard anything about google voice. I have just found out about it, and they say its the next big thing. I tried signing up for it, but it is by invite only, like gmail was years ago.
 
I might bit at this if it wasn't so daunting a task. I could probably do it without much hassle (just TIME), but I quote: "Google is still in a Beta phase with Google Voice, so there is always the chance that they could change something".
Bam. Who's going to help you fix your system if it becomes incompatible? I don't look forward to scouring the internet trying to find someone to help me reconfigure the system so it works again - while in the meantime I have no phone.
 
For me that's not a problem because I don't even have a landline to my house so if I got this working at all it would be a plus. But I see your point if someone wanted to try it and depended on it.
 
For me that's not a problem because I don't even have a landline to my house so if I got this working at all it would be a plus. But I see your point if someone wanted to try it and depended on it.
Have your cell ring the "land-line" too?

Actually, I might be missing something here. Does it just consolidate lines, or can you straight out dump your phones in lieu of a google voice number?
EDIT:
Users must have an established U.S. telephone service to use Google Voice.
ok.
 
I think the "quality" of the audio is lacking when I call through it vs calling direct.

Or is it just me?
 
I have it...it's cool. My roommate and I have our numbers both linked so when someone calls the security box to come to our building it will ring both cell phones [no land lines here[ and whichever one of else is able to answer first can let them in. I haven't really played around to much with all it's features...
 
I have it call both my cells. Its nice because some with sms my second work number and i dont get them. Now i give out my GV number and dont miss a sms. Plus i got to pick a cool number that was available. Having it transcribe my vm is awesome. My father-in-laws transcribes could have its on website on how he mumbles and it makes up stuff.
 
+1 for google voice. I set it up as one of my "pick 3" numbers, and just hand it out to people, so I won't incurr a bill. Also texting of voice mail is awesome, even if its kind of difficult to read.
 
+1 for google voice. I set it up as one of my "pick 3" numbers, and just hand it out to people, so I won't incurr a bill. Also texting of voice mail is awesome, even if its kind of difficult to read.

You do have Google Voice set to transmit it's own Caller ID number, right? Otherwise you will use your anytime minutes.
 
I'm not sure thats true. Ill know more, when I get my bill. I have unlimited mobile to mobile.
 
I'm not sure thats true. Ill know more, when I get my bill. I have unlimited mobile to mobile.

It is, I tested it myself since you can check your current usage on sprints site (if you have sprint). If you have AnyMobile then it won't matter unless you get a lot of calls from land lines.
 
I think that only matters with incoming, but its not showing up at all on my current usage. So I ahve no idea.
 
i been using it for about 2 months now
loving it. free sms/call
cant ask for now
and international calls care super cheap
free call to Canada as well
 
gv-usage4.jpg


when I was testing it, I called my GV number with GV showing as the Caller ID on my phone and it went against the Mobile-2-Home minutes (my Pick 3).
Placing the same call to my GV number with the callers Caller ID showing, it then went against my 500 anytime minutes.

It takes 1 hour for your current usage to update on Sprints usage page.
 
Is Skype better than Google Voice? I pay about $6.95 a month to call any phone in the US or Canada and I have an inbound number.
 
I just got my invite, and unless something changes, it looks like Google Voice is in some ways a better solution.
 
Did you get your invite from the google website? I think Skype has really bad customer service. It is a lot like ebay since it was owned by ebay, and ebay just tries to avoid any kind of contact with customers.
 
I have never had to use the customer service for skype, so I wouldn't know about that. I do agree with you about ebay. I don't remember how I got my invite, I believe I signed up about a month ago IIRC. I am still testing it and will eventually post back with some Skype vs. Google Voice information.
 
I been using it for a few weeks on my iphone, good service the only thing I don't like is the slightly delay when talking someone, some people tell me it sounds like I'm calling from long distance.
 
I been using it for a few weeks on my iphone, good service the only thing I don't like is the slightly delay when talking someone, some people tell me it sounds like I'm calling from long distance.

I have sprint and don't experience that.
 
Back
Top