Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

I would have "Jumped" on this phone, but since I can't, I'll just jump on another an iPhone. That said, I'm waiting on confirmations that the Pixel 2 XL have the same camera and everything as the regular Pixel 2, which I suspect it does with the same parts and software. Cause I need another phone to replace the Nexus 5 classic.

That said, I'm waiting on confirmations that the Pixel 2 XL have the same camera and everything as the regular Pixel 2, which I suspect it does with the same parts and software.
That was verified during the livestream yesterday. Battery and screen size is the difference.

I am interested in upgrading my Nexus 6 to a Pixel 2 XL (black and white)...which is now bloody sold out.
It's going to be a long wait. The last ones who got their panda order in (before the waitlist) are showing a delivery date of mid December.

Verizon website has a panda model in stock with a ship date of 11/1. Though it's probably not truly unlocked in that it'll whitelisted to work on sprint like the unlocked model. And who knows if they'll lock the bootloader this time again like they did with the og pixel.

Anyone else still wondering why Google didn't put more focus on the super fast charging? They're claiming up to 7 hours of battery life in 15 minutes of charging...which is...insane if it reaches anywhere near the upper half of that.

Anyone else still wondering why Google didn't put more focus on the super fast charging? They're claiming up to 7 hours of battery life in 15 minutes of charging...which is...insane if it reaches anywhere near the upper half of that.
I am guessing they might just be using Qualcoms Quick charge standard rather then a custom one... IDK...

My Pixel XL charges pretty damn well in 15 minutes. Great when you are heading out the door to give it a bump.

I am guessing they might just be using Qualcoms Quick charge standard rather then a custom one... IDK...
I hope not they should take advantage of USB-C charging and move past the qualcom quick-charge work around.
Damn I hesitated I guess I'm not getting one.

I actually like the stormtrooper white color, and it's classic Nexus colors, hearkening back to classic Nexus colors from the Nexus 5, Motorla Nexus6, and Nexus 6P

If I don't buy the "Verizon version" of the phone from the google store, will the wifi calling still work?

If I don't buy the "Verizon version" of the phone from the google store, will the wifi calling still work?

Pretty sure it will, but not 100%. But if it's like the Nexus 6 (and maybe the Pixel too since it was sold by Verizon) was, it should pull a Verizon specific update/firmware when you put a Verizon SIM into the phone too enable carrier specific features like WiFi calling.

Pretty sure it will, but not 100%. But if it's like the Nexus 6 (and maybe the Pixel too since it was sold by Verizon) was, it should pull a Verizon specific update/firmware when you put a Verizon SIM into the phone too enable carrier specific features like WiFi calling.
Thanks I ordered the unlocked version, rather than wait another 4 weeks for a verizon sim card lol.

Actually I'm probably stupid for ordering this phone right now (Price is ridiculous), last year verizon had free pixels on black friday if you traded in your old phone. But wifes phone is broken, so I'm using that as my excuse to upgrade and she will get my almost new nexus 6p. I also caved and got the 128GB because I didn't want less memory than my current phone, even though I'm using less than 64GB. I really do hope that google does not continue doing stupid things like apple. I'm not sure how I am going to cope with the missing headphone jack. I can see forgetting the adapter on a flight because I left it at work etc. Also I tend to charge my phone and use headphones at work at the same time which I won't be able to do now. And you can't use bluetooth while flying... Oh man I'm regretting the phone already.

On the bright side, wifi calling should work (I don't have a phone signal at work), and verizon will hopefully support wifi calling on this phone since they sell it. They did win in forcing me to get a new phone for this feature, but i didn't buy it from them!

Man, I have a brand new Pixel XL 128 black (currently on a S8+) and I know the resell value is going to be horrible. What should I do with it as I know the Pixel 2 XL is coming out soon.

I wonder which carriers other than project fi will support that esim. With the esim and that extra sim slot, I don't need a traditional dual sim phone.

Man, I have a brand new Pixel XL 128 black (currently on a S8+) and I know the resell value is going to be horrible. What should I do with it as I know the Pixel 2 XL is coming out soon.

Actually from what I've seen the Pixel XL has better resale value than most other Android devices. I think you could still get $500-550 for it now in a private sale. You probably only lost about $50 or so with the announcement of the Pixel 2 XL, but the value will drop again once the Pixel 2 XL's actually ship. I'd sell it sooner than later.

Or you could just enjoy it and use it knowing you paid 1/2 as much as all of us suckers :)
My phones never have much resale value by the time I upgrade, I think it just means I get my money's worth. Having to get another phone every year or two is total consumerism. I believe thats why all phones use non removable batteries these days, just to make sure your ready to buy a new one after a couple years.

Google's trade in price on my nexus 6p 128GB was just over $100, I think $130 something.... And the 6p is on Oreo, and still has an excellent camera!

Actually from what I've seen the Pixel XL has better resale value than most other Android devices. I think you could still get $500-550 for it now in a private sale. You probably only lost about $50 or so with the announcement of the Pixel 2 XL, but the value will drop again once the Pixel 2 XL's actually ship. I'd sell it sooner than later.

Better move it this week. Prices have been falling on sites like Swappa.

9147A476-8B81-426E-B7DE-7BFE9B6FD21E.png

Man, the big ass bezels kill it for me. I thought we were done with that. I'll have to wait until next year's offerings to see what's out there. I just can't bring myself to buy a phone with so much wasted space after trying phones like the S8 and Note 8.

Or you could just enjoy it and use it knowing you paid 1/2 as much as all of us suckers :)
My phones never have much resale value by the time I upgrade, I think it just means I get my money's worth. Having to get another phone every year or two is total consumerism. I believe thats why all phones use non removable batteries these days, just to make sure your ready to buy a new one after a couple years.

Google's trade in price on my nexus 6p 128GB was just over $100, I think $130 something.... And the 6p is on Oreo, and still has an excellent camera!
This made me think about how I don't factor in resale value when it comes to picking mobile hardware to buy. I use stuff 'til it's unusable or too obsolete - and as such, up-front cost doesn't matter nearly as much as the value of having a damn good piece of hardware that does what I want it to over the course of its lifetime. I suppose that's why people here don't mind paying top dollar for the best hardware.

Usually, my family keeps the old phones as spares to fall back on, so it's not like we trade 'em in or resell for additional discounts for the most part. Dumping Sprint for T-Mobile at the start of this year put a bit of a damper in the fallback part, though, and it's actually the reason why I retired my Note 4 with its unofficial unlock: not having functional LTE bands (because Sprint insisted the ones they don't use be disabled) and being kicked back to EDGE (not even 3G like I used to get!) really sucked.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy last year's flagship at a considerably reduced price, provided that you can unlock the bootloader and flash custom ROMs when the manufacturer loses interest so that you can stay up to date OS-wise. At least Google's offering three years of feature updates for the Pixel 2 lineup instead of the usual two years, mitigating the usual issue with that; here's hoping the other manufacturers follow suit.

This made me think about how I don't factor in resale value when it comes to picking mobile hardware to buy. I use stuff 'til it's unusable or too obsolete - and as such, up-front cost doesn't matter nearly as much as the value of having a damn good piece of hardware that does what I want it to over the course of its lifetime. I suppose that's why people here don't mind paying top dollar for the best hardware.

Usually, my family keeps the old phones as spares to fall back on, so it's not like we trade 'em in or resell for additional discounts for the most part. Dumping Sprint for T-Mobile at the start of this year put a bit of a damper in the fallback part, though, and it's actually the reason why I retired my Note 4 with its unofficial unlock: not having functional LTE bands (because Sprint insisted the ones they don't use be disabled) and being kicked back to EDGE (not even 3G like I used to get!) really sucked.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy last year's flagship at a considerably reduced price, provided that you can unlock the bootloader and flash custom ROMs when the manufacturer loses interest so that you can stay up to date OS-wise. At least Google's offering three years of feature updates for the Pixel 2 lineup instead of the usual two years, mitigating the usual issue with that; here's hoping the other manufacturers follow suit.

Keep hoping other OEM's will. Apple, now Google and no one else.

I'm done buying any phones unless it's from Apple or Google

I assumed when I bought my Pixel 2 that I did not get the free Home mini for whatever reason, and honestly I did not care, but I just got this in the mail.

upload_2017-10-7_13-14-25.png

I was going to buy one of these outright so when I got the email I was pretty stoked to save $50.
I got a free Alexa last week with Dish service. Still, I am not real big on having this stuff in my house.

Most of my stuff are already tied to Alexa. My lights, security, thermostats, TVs/Logitech Harmony, etc. So adding a Google Home to have a second system will be confusing.

Keep hoping other OEM's will. Apple, now Google and no one else.

I'm done buying any phones unless it's from Apple or Google
The problem I have is that neither of those two offer the features I'm looking for at the hardware level. You can't add an active pen digitizer with a software update. Or a microSD slot. Or a headphone jack (which wouldn't be such a big deal if they just added a second Lightning or USB-C port).

They could at least resolve the first point because both companies have implemented that feature on larger devices (iPad Pro, Pixelbook); they just don't feel like bringing it down to the flagship smartphone level. Frustrating.

At least with Android flagships, several of them had unlocked bootloaders, meaning that when OEMs drop the ball, XDA-developers picks up the slack. That's starting to dry up now here in North America, though. I'm betting it's the carriers that want locked bootloaders more than anything so software obsolescence sells more phones every year or two.

I didn't even know about the free Home Mini offer until I'd already put in my order. Not sure I have any real use for one, but it sounds like one of those things you get really used to having quickly. Plus, since the Pixels put so much attention toward the assistant functionality it might be nice to have more of them around.

In general, Android is a little disjointed unless you go all-in with the Google products (mail, calendar, contacts, store, trips, etc.). Once you do it's pretty amazing. I'm kinda hoping this will be similarly compelling.

There are just significantly more devices that works with Alexa than any other system like Siri, Google, and especially Cortana. So smarthome with Alexa is the best way to go right now. I do think that Google Home has the best voice recognition, but until it catches up to Alexa, I'll go for the cheaper and more supported device. HomeKit is as good as dead unless you're ifanboy.

I am excited to try out the new Google cases for the new XL2 phones... A case made out of clothing like material instead of all the plastic/TPU stuff I've used on cases in the past...

Honestly I prefer going ceaseless but sometimes it's just needed for improved grip (really needed in cold weather) or if your getting your drink on (more likely to drop your phone).

I'm hopeful that the material the Pixel XL2 phones are coated with is grippy enough that I don't need to use a case as much as I have had to on my Pixel XL. Man that thing is so slippery as soon as your hands get dry / cold....

I jog with my phone most days, so I need something with a grip. I also really like having a lip to save the screen from drops. I've had a few phones face-plant and just having the tiny lip from a case or even a bumper has saved 'em. I've never cracked a screen before. My phone lays on a flat hardwood desk most of the day, so I'm not a big fan of going screen-down or having the camera constantly scrape. The XL's camera seems flat, so at least that shouldn't be an issue this time.
I don't really care for the Google official cases that they have at the moment. They're pricey ($40-50)and no better than than the <$10 cases on Amazon. Well, other than the somewhat cool ability to add your photos.
I do like a few of the many Spigen case options (https://www.spigen.com/collections/google-pixel-2) although there are cheaper knock-offs on Amazon for most of them right now.
I imagine Best Buy and the Verizon store will likely have some of those once they phone launches, so I'll compare/contrast.

Whatever case I end up with it needs to fit a nice glass screen protector as well. I'm certainly not going ceaseless on a 1000 phone with what I know it well get put through.

I used a SUPCASE + iCarez glass protector on my last phone and the combo worked real well, you could literally put the phone in the case then pop the protector on using the case to align it. I don't see any offerings for the XL from that company yet.

Whatever case I end up with it needs to fit a nice glass screen protector as well. I'm certainly not going ceaseless on a 1000 phone with what I know it well get put through.

I used a SUPCASE + iCarez glass protector on my last phone and the combo worked real well, you could literally put the phone in the case then pop the protector on using the case to align it. I don't see any offerings for the XL from that company yet.

I've bought the Supcase Beetle type cases for my past 3 phones and they seem to be the best cases in terms of how slim they are while offering stellar protection. I had my One M8 in one and it fell from a roller coaster (into a patch of loose concrete) and another carnival ride (over 10' high onto concrete) without a scratch. Since then I see absolutely no need to get one of those ridiculously bulky ottarbox-type cases for my phone or pay anything over $20 for a good case. I also put glass screen protectors on my phones as well and with my current 6P, just like you said, my Supcase aligns perfectly with my screen protector so there's zero gap between the edge of the protectors and the lip of the case. I have a feeling with all these newer phones with slightly rounded edges, this is going to be much harder to do with my next phone, as getting glass screen protectors to fit well on these non-flat screens is hard to find/manufacture.

Got my replacement Pixel XL 128GB for the defective Nexus 6P. Google will let me trade the XL in for $410 off the Pixel 2 XL order. Adding the Google home mini as icing on the cake. Pretty good deal overall.

All Pixel's have WiFi calling. It's turned off by default. You can enable it by opening the phone and going to Settings -> Calls. Then go in to WiFi Calling and set Roaming Preference to "WiFi". The caveat is that it's hard set to "Mobile Preferred". So if you have even the slightest VoLTE signal it will use, or attempt to use, cellular to make the call. You can, however, change it to "WiFi Preferred". No root required. I've done this to my XL and it works awesome since I have very little to no signal at my house. Just remember to reboot the device once completing these steps.

https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-preferred-wifi-calling-option-verizon-pixel-pixel-xl/
Well technically my Nexus 6p has wifi calling too, but it does not work with verizon which is why I thought I might need the verzon specific version.

Got my replacement Pixel XL 128GB for the defective Nexus 6P. Google will let me trade the XL in for $410 off the Pixel 2 XL order. Adding the Google home mini as icing on the cake. Pretty good deal overall.
I wish I would have gotten a Pixel XL instead of a 3rd Nexus 6p. Instead I get nothing toward the XL since it's not worth trading in the 6p

Kinda OT question, but not worth making a new thread.

Anyone here using the stock Google dialer/phone app still have the ability to long-press on phone numbers in the call log and block numbers and report as spam? I use to have these options, but I noticed a few weeks ago that I no longer have the option to block calls or report as spam anymore. I figured I could just block numbers to my line through T-Mobile then, but nope, they don't have any options to do that and I found a support page where they state you can't block calls through your account profile. Super ghey.. anyone have any tips for blocking repeated spammers? Some of them use the same number and another spammer keeps using the same area code, but not the same number.. if I could block that whole area code that would be awesome.

Kinda OT question, but not worth making a new thread.

Anyone here using the stock Google dialer/phone app still have the ability to long-press on phone numbers in the call log and block numbers and report as spam? I use to have these options, but I noticed a few weeks ago that I no longer have the option to block calls or report as spam anymore. I figured I could just block numbers to my line through T-Mobile then, but nope, they don't have any options to do that and I found a support page where they state you can't block calls through your account profile. Super ghey.. anyone have any tips for blocking repeated spammers? Some of them use the same number and another spammer keeps using the same area code, but not the same number.. if I could block that whole area code that would be awesome.

Mine still gives me that option. I'm on the stock dialer on a Moto X Pure. Verizon. I just got Android 7 very recently if that matters. The options are Copy/Edit before calling/Block number.

Mine still gives me that option. I'm on the stock dialer on a Moto X Pure. Verizon. I just got Android 7 very recently if that matters. The options are Copy/Edit before calling/Block number.

Are you using this dialer app? Because Moto doesn't use Google's dialer app, at least my wife's Z Play doesn't use the same dialer.. it looks the same, but it's not the same phone/dialer app from the Play store that Google's phones use by default.

Are you using this dialer app? Because Moto doesn't use Google's dialer app, at least my wife's Z Play doesn't use the same dialer.. it looks the same, but it's not the same phone/dialer app from the Play store that Google's phones use by default.
Nor is Google's dialer app used for the Moto X Pure. Out of curiosity I tried to install Google's dialer on my Moto X Pure but this rejection message appeared: My device is ineligible.

Here are screenshots of the icon, and app information, for the dialer app that Moto assigned to my phone. Note that Google and Moto have both labeled their dialer app as "Phone" but one phone is colored blue and the other white.
Also out of curiosity, I long pressed on a phone number in my dialer's History. Doing so brought up an option to Edit but the only choices offered under Edit were Create a new contact, Add to a contact, and Send SMS. There was no block number
option.

22.png 33.png

Last edited:
Back