Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

Discussion in 'Smart Phones and Devices' started by Johnny78, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Tiberian

Tiberian Finger Me

He couldn't possibly have lined up such a "perfect shot" without staring at the screen to see he's framed in the shot correctly, and yes, it's obvious the reflection in his sunglasses shows the road in front of him, the steering wheel in his one available hand which he's holding on the cross-bar and not the outer edge, it's a two-lane road and it's very clear there's a car coming at him, his head is angled towards the camera and the front of the phone and not the road in front of him or the windshield. He's not on the shoulder, he's in a lane of moving traffic and you can even spot the speedometer needle in one of the reflections as well, it's at about the 11 o'clock position from the picture's point of view.

I mean really, do I need to whip out an "ENHANCE THAT!!!" meme image or something? :D

2. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

Lol, yup, he denies driving too. But I replied to him.. He'll prolly delete it.

3. hv43082

hv43082 [H]ard|Gawd

4. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard [H]ard|Gawd

I have a UAG case for my iPad Pro. Works great. I like that 2 XL case.

5. CHANG3D

CHANG3D [H]ardness Supreme

It's too bad that Mous haven't extended their Limitless line to the Pixel 2's. Those case are slim and protective.

6. Wrench

Wrench [H]ardForum Junkie

As of today 10/14 theres a 20% off promotion look under the price theres a Buy 1 get 20% off hyperlink. Just snagged one for $8.79 cant beat that :)

I wasn't going to look at this phone. I've been happy with my Pixel XL. The $400 trade in plus forward facing speakers sold me lol. I've missed forward facing speakers since I ditched my M9 for an M10

Commander Shepard likes this.
  7. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

[​IMG]

Went to the Verizon store today to check out the 2 XL in person. Definitely a beautiful looking phone, snappy, and lighter than I expected. However, something I and quite a few other Redditors noticed - the max brightness on the 2 XL doesn't seem that...bright. My iPhone 7 Plus looked quite a bit brighter than it when both were at max manual brightness. This worries me a bit with how visible the screen will be in direct sunlight. Hopefully the adaptive brightness will have a higher max brightness when it detects sunlight.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 4:57 PM
    ZeqOBpf6 likes this.
  8. Domingo

Domingo [H]ardForum Junkie

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V5WCPR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RVL499/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I now have these two in my possession and unless one of them fits really weird, I'll be pretty happy with either.

This one is VERY easily scratched and because of the plastic material the back is using, the scratches are unmistakably bright white. It's also very shallow, so I don't expect it to protect the screen at all.
    I'd give it a thumbs down and wouldn't recommend it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07586TJ79/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I ate the $8 and just threw it away.

9. mls1995

mls1995 2[H]4U

I just left the Verizon store and I was thinking the same thing. I was also comparing versus an Iphone 7 Plus. Sort of had mixed feeling about the XL. Wasn't exactly blown away by it. I'm not sure if I want one or not.

10. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

My credit card was charged! Phone is scheduled to ship tomorrow and arrive either Wednesday or Thursday!

11. Domingo

Looks like my credit card just got hit with a pending charge, too. I'm hoping for a Wednesday delivery, but I don't have much faith in that. I can count the number of early deliveries I've ever received on two fingers.

12. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

13. Domingo

The only information provided so far is that the order originated from Mountain View, CA where Google is located. We probably won't know where they're coming from until tomorrow.

14. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

Some people reported last year's Pixels shipping from Carol Stream, IL...which is quite literally 20 minutes away from where I live.

15. Commander Shepard

Mine's been charged, too. Gonna be a fun week.

exlink likes this.
  16. CHANG3D

CHANG3D [H]ardness Supreme

The Pixels will receive the security update against KRACK on November 6th. I wonder when will the rest of Android world would be updated. I wonder if Blackberry will update itself first.

17. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

Confirmed shipping from Carol Stream, IL for me. Just got my tracking information with a scheduled delivery for tomorrow.

18. Commander Shepard

Nice! No ship notice for me, yet, so I checked my Visa. The charge that appeared, yesterday, has been changed back to "Pending." Hope that doesn't mean there was a shipping or stock issue. :(

19. Domingo

Same here. It's still showing that it should ship today, but I've gotten no other information.

20. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

if you bought a phone through one of the major providers probably never since they'll use it as an excuse to force you to buy a new phone.. if you bought your own phone you'll get it at the same time since i've gotten every update on my unlocked moto g5 the same time pixel has.

21. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

google fi sucks which is why i hate my pixel (along with bad battery life after they forced an update that bricked my phone and gave me a crap refurb)...
    in wisconsin... you often get minimal service in major suburbs, milwaukee... and 0 reception anywhere in the country side. you have to constantly force network switches and even then you probably will be set to 3g or less.

22. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

23. Commander Shepard

Shipped! Delivery on Thursday.

Domingo and exlink like this.
  24. Domingo

Still no update on mine. I'm going out of town on Friday, so I really, really need this thing to show up Wed/Thurs.

25. ZenDragon

ZenDragon [H]ard|Gawd

Purchased the 5 inch unlocked version with 128gb last week, still no update on mine yet either.

Anybody else planning on using Project Fi with this thing? I've been wanting to ditch T-Mobile for a while now. Speaking of which, anybody want to buy an LG V20? :ROFLMAO:

26. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

The centerpiece of Pixel Visual Core is the Google-designed Image Processing Unit (IPU)—a fully programmable, domain-specific processor designed from scratch to deliver maximum performance at low power. With eight Google-designed custom cores, each with 512 arithmetic logic units (ALUs), the IPU delivers raw performance of over 3 trillion operations per second on a mobile power budget. Using Pixel Visual Core, HDR+ can run 5x faster and at less than 1/10th the energy than running on the application processor (AP). A key ingredient to the IPU’s efficiency is the tight coupling of hardware and software—our software controls many more details of the hardware than in a typical processor. Handing more control to the software makes the hardware simpler and more efficient, but it also makes the IPU challenging to program using traditional programming languages. To avoid this, the IPU leverages domain-specific languages that ease the burden on both developers and the compiler: Halide for image processing and TensorFlow for machine learning. A custom Google-made compiler optimizes the code for the underlying hardware.

Commander Shepard and exlink like this.
  27. Domingo

Still no news on the status of my order, but (per-Reddit) I'm at least not alone. I figure a Wednesday delivery is out of the question, but as long as I have it by Thursday I'm good. I have no desire to have a Pixel XL sitting on my porch all weekend.

28. ilkhan

ilkhan No Title for You!

Card shows pending and got the shipped email, but tracking number isn't active yet. Out of town next week, so as long as it arrives this week I'm good to go.

29. Conman

Conman Limp Gawd

Why would they submit to Dxomark and post camera reviews before activating their superchip?

30. Kyle_Bennett

31. Agenesis

Agenesis [H]ard|Gawd

Still nothing. Hoping it moves soon.

[​IMG]

Ars said something about a grainy screen, can whoever gets theirs first report back how serious the problem is? Reddit is an echo chamber where any questions remotely negative about the device gets downvoted/hidden into oblivion.

The LG G Flex / Flex 2 genuinely had awful screens with the graininess worse than the Dell U2410 anti glare coating.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 10:29 PM
  32. Commander Shepard

Back at'cha!

[​IMG]

Nasty jokes about my city in 3... 2... 1... ;)

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  33. Kyle_Bennett

We taking bets on who "wins?" :p

34. Commander Shepard

Let's rock!!! :D

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  35. Kyle_Bennett

Pick your own title that says ANYTHING if yours gets home first. Gotta post pic here.

36. Commander Shepard

Pics at 10 paces.

If I lose, you pick my title. ANYTHING!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  37. Kyle_Bennett

You got balls...

bastage and Commander Shepard like this.
  38. Commander Shepard

This is gonna be epic!!

bastage likes this.