Google Donates 15k Raspberry Pi To School Kids

HardOCP News

[H] News
Say what you will about crazy ol' Schmidt but this little gesture was pretty damn cool. Not only does this help out the kids, it also goes a long way with the Raspberry Pi guys too. :cool:

Today’s been a bit unlike most Tuesdays at the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Today we’re the recipients of a very generous grant from Google Giving, which will provide 15,000 Raspberry Pi Model Bs for schoolkids around the UK. Google’s Executive Chairman, Eric Schmidt, has just been to visit Cambridge, and he and Eben have been teaching a classroom of local kids to code all morning. Lucky kids.

Wonder how many kids will just throw those away because they not complete electronic devices... Curiosity died some time ago.:(

Wonder how many kids will just throw those away because they not complete electronic devices... Curiosity died some time ago.:(

So you are saying that no one buy $20 kits with a circuit board, transistors, resistors, diodes and a small speaker, solder it togheter and hear beep beep beep from the device, when they can buy a fully blown mediaplayer for less ?

....yes you are. :(

Nice gesture :)

Hope it allows kids to have fun & explore... both ones who have an interest in electronics and those who don't.

LOL 15 thousand dollars you got to be kidding me what a freaking joke. Billion dollar company donates only 15k to get headlines and actually I am pissed this was posted to even give them some bs credit.

LOL 15 thousand dollars you got to be kidding me what a freaking joke. Billion dollar company donates only 15k to get headlines and actually I am pissed this was posted to even give them some bs credit.

Are you also pissed when someone donates 50 cents and gets their name written on a little paper heart? :D

I got frustrated with mine and pitched it. I imagine the kids will just not play with them. Especially kids from the UK who would rather be given Macbook's.

It says 15k RPi's, not $15k worth of RPi's. Not sure what it actually cost them, but still a drop in the bucket for them. At least they're doing more than some companies do though.

Because THAT will help people who actually want one get one...

Wait...

Overreact much. Not like they even have Google or Android logos plastered on this donation the way Apple does their 'school donations' (get em early, get em to recognize the fruit logo so they buy the products when they're older, claim a tax write off)

LMAO. Reading comprehension FTL. Maybe Google should have donated 15k to further your education?:p I kid I kid...

15,000 Raspberry Pi's at $35.00 apiece is $525,000 donated. 15,000 Raspberry Pi's is a lot of units and I'm sure there will be several well stocked computer science classrooms.

why not to a US school?!

Why not every school on the planet?

Sure US would be nice but not sure what the US has to do with this. In case you weren't aware the RPi is actually a UK product, I'm sure thats got something to do with this taking place for UK schools. Some sort of an arrangement was struck I'm sure.

Fuckin' A.

Now it's gonna take even longer for them to ship RPis :(

Glad I already got mine.

Why not every school on the planet?

Sure US would be nice but not sure what the US has to do with this. In case you weren't aware the RPi is actually a UK product, I'm sure thats got something to do with this taking place for UK schools. Some sort of an arrangement was struck I'm sure.

Plus it looks good politically as Google is one of the firms being looked at for corporate tax evasion in the UK.

As for curiosity dying some time ago in the classroom that's certainly the case in UK schools.

As its all now performance stats based for schools in terms of exam grades reached. It's all about just coaching kids through the exam papers to get the maximum marks.

If it isn't in the exam the kids just don't want to know. It's not actually teaching now.

I'm damn glad I went through school in the 70s and 80s. At least I got a really good conventional education that taught us to use our imaginations rather than copy/paste from Wikipedia.

Back