Google Assistant Gets Your Hair Did

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Google Assistant brings us one step closer to never having to interact with another human being ever. Thank goodness. You folks were really getting on my nerves.

Check out the video.

In an amazing demo at Google I/0, Google's Assistant can actually ring up a salon or a restaurant to make an appointment for you. You don't have to call yourself even if the pizzeria doesn't have an online reservation system.

Reactions: Aenra
like this
I'm sure the business has to participate in this? Even then I can totally see not getting appointments in from people hanging up on this more often than not.

I bet Mom and Dad are happy that finally, they don't have to make appointments for little Jr. Son-Of-A-Bitch anymore!!

I don't care for this assistant nonsense.

It's on my first gen Pixel, but I never use it. I even use a third party launcher in part so I can avoid that's nothing Google search bar.

I want my phone to be more like my desktop, not my desktop to be more like my phone.

I want to manually open a program - like a web browser - use it to do what I need, and then manually close it. None of this integration nonsense, with or without voice commands.

In the end what it all comes down to is, I don't trust AI to properly interpret the correct meaning of human speech.

I demand purposeful data entry in a fixed syntax, otherwise it is mostcertainly going to make mistakes.

It may get it right 90, 95 or even 99 percent of the time, but the one percent of the time it gets it wrong, the headache will far outweigh the minor convenience of the 99% of the time it gets it right.

Siri, call me an ambulance.

Alright, from now on I will call you "An Ambulance", OK?

To me, it's not even a matter of "the technology will get better and will one day get there". No, I don't trust it today, and if I'm alive in a hundred years I still won't trust it then.

I don't want any algorithms doing any interpretation what so ever. By all means, process the data if - and only if - it is previously manually entered in a precise syntax, but I expect a live human being to always be doing all of the interpreting.

I will intentionally avoid any business that uses technology like this.

Last edited:
Another staple in sci-fi coming closer to reality. This one I could see using--I hate making those kinds of phone calls, I'd rather be gaming.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
I'd like to get this to handle bill collectors and spammers.

Id love to get this so I can tell people to gtfo my lawn ;)

EDIT: Did that AI just technically pass the Turing test? Assuming of course those were real calls...

Last edited:
I personally love this. I always put off making that call to my doctor or whoever to book and appointment because i forget during normal business hours and then remember later in the day when they are closed. With this i could simply set it up whenever i remember and away it goes!

Id love to get this so I can tell people to gtfo my lawn ;)

EDIT: Did that AI just technically pass the Turing test? Assuming of course those were real calls...

Google Duplex demonstrated how close Google are to Turin machine performance. Really stunning demo that made Siri and Cortana seem like Comixbooks mashing buttons on a Speak'n Spell comparatively.

Pretty impressive upgrades to their Assistant, six new voices, and more conversational interactions. I usually turn the assistant off on every device I own, but looking forward to playing with this new one.

Last edited:
Google Duplex demonstrated how close Google are to Turin machine performance. Really stunning demo that made Siri and Cortana seem like Comixbooks mashing buttons on a Speak'n Spell comparatively.

Pretty impressive upgrades to their Assistant, six new voices, and more conversational interactions. I usually turn the assistant off on every device I own, but looking forward to playing with this new one.
Mm-hmm!

Where oh where are we heading towards, lol..

If i had to make a list of all the scary things i'm gonna need to get some info on, just the bare minimum..
- IoT, as in practice. No clue.
- 'Assistants', as in how much time have i got left, what to avoid. No clue.
- Cloud. Apparently not the ones above me? Hmm.
- The 'Smartness' of things. I don't even own an android phone. For how much longer and what if. No clue.
- Neural AI. Mere mention of this and i think of cosmic irony, Philip Dick rising from his grave, etc. I'm probably exaggerating; or am i.
- China. Cockroaches. AI and breeding. Motherfu.... i don't. Even.

Am sure i'm forgetting some.

I have no hair but isn't the title supposed to say 'gets your hair done' not 'did'?

I have no hair but isn't the title supposed to say 'gets your hair done' not 'did'?
I was wondering if it was some cute cultural reference that I just didn't get or as you suggested. Any way help for the bald may be on its way finally...well unless it's your preferred look of course.

I was wondering if it was some cute cultural reference that I just didn't get or as you suggested. Any way help for the bald may be on its way finally...well unless it's your preferred look of course.

Guys are way outta the loop. Its slang talking

Guys are way outta the loop. Its slang talking

Also not sure people would hang up so often on it if they can't even figure out their talking to AI. Did you listen to how real it sounds? Sure sounds like the people on the other line we're fooled.

It's on my first gen Pixel, but I never use it. I even use a third party launcher in part so I can avoid that's nothing Google search bar.

I want my phone to be more like my desktop, not my desktop to be more like my phone.

I want to manually open a program - like a web browser - use it to do what I need, and then manually close it. None of this integration nonsense, with or without voice commands.

Back in the late eighties I bowed out of IT for awhile because at the time there were some huge advances in UI between Apple and MS. I really believed most tech would evolve to a point where outside of basic maintenance and programming most IT chores would be unneeded. For a time, and in some places, this briefly seemed true. Enter the Iphone/Smartphone era and I swear I've seen humans fall back on our evolutionary butts. With greater adoption of things like this I can see the loss of years become decades and centuries in no time.

Something tells me there's about to be a whole lot more angry people in the world. A quote from Robin Williams explaining why:

"There's two kinds of people in the world. Stupid people and angry people. The stupid people are too stupid to realize that they're the ones the angry people are angry at!"

Ok thats fine you dont have to use it. But what do you have against having an AI do some basic tasks for you? Is it just that you dont trust it to get it right (like your second post implies) or is there something more? What if that AI were sophisticated enough to converse with you and get it right as if it were a person? Keep in mind there is still a lot of confusion between people but lets ignore that for a moment. If the AI could get it right "enough", where enough is some arbitrary level you are comfortable with, would you have it do it then?

I view AI as akin to a personal secretary. I would love to delegate some of the more mundane things to it with some parameters. Id love for it to handle all my calls and screen them and only let important ones through to me etc. Have it handle my billing so I dont have to and what not.

Where oh where are we heading towards, lol..

If i had to make a list of all the scary things i'm gonna need to get some info on, just the bare minimum..
- IoT, as in practice. No clue.
- 'Assistants', as in how much time have i got left, what to avoid. No clue.
- Cloud. Apparently not the ones above me? Hmm.
- The 'Smartness' of things. I don't even own an android phone. For how much longer and what if. No clue.
- Neural AI. Mere mention of this and i think of cosmic irony, Philip Dick rising from his grave, etc. I'm probably exaggerating; or am i.
- China. Cockroaches. AI and breeding. Motherfu.... i don't. Even.

Am sure i'm forgetting some.

We are heading towards a better future. Sure there will be rough patches but overall the quality of life will increase.

IoT - I am divided on this. On one hand I dont think every device needs to be "connected" as this is easily abused (i.e. privacy, ads, and what not). On the other hand I like being able to remotely control my thermostat and to monitor the house etc.
'Assistants' - See my reply above.
Cloud - Big word here with no context and multiple meanings depending on context. I ama big supporter of cloud computing but not the kind most people think of as cloud. Most people see Amazon VMs as "cloud" thats "utility" computing.
The 'Smartness' of things - I think this ties in with IoT and I have the same opinion. Some devices it makes great sense for (but beware the abuses) and some it does not. My toilet does not need to be smart.
Neural AI - I think this is along the same lines as 'Assistants'. I think there is potential danger here but we should strive to create AIs to help humans.
China - Ok? What about it? I think it will com to a head within the next 15 years and either they will learn to play along with everyone else on this mudball or there will be a big fracas.

Adding speech lapses like umm or uh or mmm or hmmm to attempt trickery of a human operator is ludicrous. It should explain itself and then just schedule the appointment with the operator. If the operator is aware it's a robot trying to lock in a date and time they can be straightforward and attempt to make it easy as possible. There's no reason to waste thenoperTors time with arrogant robot bullshit.

Besides there's an app u can just swipe twice and ur appointment is scheduled.

I'm not a big fan of talking to robots over the phone. Comcast, FedEx, ups, etc all go out of their way to bar you from talking to a human. I know it looks good on the books but I don't make calls to get railroaded by shitty robot answering systems. Comcast business, that you would think might actually be interested in helping customers in a timely manner makes you say agent at 6 different prompts, none of which will give you a choice to talk to a human, before u can even get in line for an actual human. Are we that worthless?

ok, after actually watching the video.. i have to say i am impressed. the way it handled the flow was pretty good.

Also i think it would be a great replacement for the auto attendants we have to put up with now. press 1 for such.. or say.. a more fluid(ish) interaction would be great.

In the end what it all comes down to is, I don't trust AI to properly interpret the correct meaning of human speech.
[snip]

The problem is that those boys and gals from Mumbai are no different really. I can say without a shred of irony that people are fairly lousy at interpreting correct meaning of human speech in general at that. Hell, even the matter of legal liability doesn't favor the caller such as you and I, so having a meatbag receiver or some AI receiver make little to no difference.

Everyone here is over thinking this...

The real motive here is to get get A.I.'s implemented so the company's that control them have all the power. You watch! The solution to making sure your A.I. "assistant" doesnt make mistakes is to have it communicate to an A.I. on the other end. Microsoft has already been spearheading A.I.'s on the business facing side. Ironically, guess what use case scenario they use? If you guessed someone calling to make a hair salon appointment, you'd be correct!

The real question is whether someone will figure out how to seed this thing with horseshit data and it drops an n-bomb or tries to order a pizza from a rape crisis center or something.

The real question is whether someone will figure out how to seed this thing with horseshit data and it drops an n-bomb or tries to order a pizza from a rape crisis center or something.

That kind of stuff will happen. I get so many wrong numbers...

Very impressive demo.

I have to wonder how much hardware is behind that AI.

That kind of stuff will happen. I get so many wrong numbers...

Very impressive demo.

I have to wonder how much hardware is behind that AI.

While there is absolutely serious hardware behind these A.I.'s the real question to ask is how much data is behind all this. The limiting factor is always going to be **DATA**. This is the real motive behind self driving cars, wearables, online ads, and everything Amazon.. The hardware is insignificant in comparison.

I demand purposeful data entry in a fixed syntax, otherwise it is mostcertainly going to make mistakes.

It may get it right 90, 95 or even 99 percent of the time, but the one percent of the time it gets it wrong, the headache will far outweigh the minor convenience of the 99% of the time it gets it right.

Siri, call me an ambulance.

Alright, from now on I will call you "An Ambulance", OK?

To me, it's not even a matter of "the technology will get better and will one day get there". No, I don't trust it today, and if I'm alive in a hundred years I still won't trust it then.

I don't want any algorithms doing any interpretation what so ever. By all means, process the data if - and only if - it is previously manually entered in a precise syntax, but I expect a live human being to always be doing all of the interpreting.

Just how accurate do you think the human is that you can get instead? Especially the one from bangladesh working by a cue book?

I'd prefer any AI over those clueless idiots.

I'd also prefer speaking to an AI rather than waiting for 20 minutes for an operator just to transfer me to another department.

Back