Goodbye MSI... Hello Gigabyte

Doozer

2[H]4U
So, I got a new motherboard on Sunday because my X58Pro-E died on me.
I have to say I was very impressed with the X58A-UD3R as soon as I got it out of the static bag. It is a thing of beauty compared to the homely old MSI board. So far the thing I like the most about it is that the board doesn't throttle you out of turbo when there is a load on the CPU. :) I am a little overwhelmed by all of the options in the BIOS so I'm going to have to figure out how to overclock my new baby. I'm looking forward to seeing just how far my L5640 will go on a well built motherboard since I know that it will do 220bclk stable.

I have to give kudos to MSI though since I submitted for an RMA and received an email stating that I was approved in less than 5 minutes. I'll have either an X58Pro-E or an X58-M for sale in a few weeks I guess. :D

welcome to the club. I ditched MSI after two burned AMD boards and zero support.

Yeah thats one of the boards I'm considering replacing the huge pile of shit that is my evga X58 SLI LE. Gigabyte is the only mobo company I've never had an issue with.

I really like my UD3R. It has been very stable and recognized my 970 right out of the box.

I personally own (edit) seven Gigabyte motherboards here, including two X58A-UD3R boards....they define what a good motherboard should be IMHO. ;)

Gigabyte makes a great board no doubt. I've run two MSI Pro-E and they were solid. Everyone has lemons though.

Congrats on your new motherboard! The Gigabyte X58 mobo is probably the most popular one on our folding team as so many of us use it. Not only it is priced right, but it really is one helluva motherboard. After using nothing but Asus boards in the past, i'm pretty much only using Gigabyte these days. My gaming rig uses the GA-790XTA-UD4, and my two folding rigs use the GA-X58A-UD3R. Since so many of us run Gigabyte motherboards, I wonder if we could get them to sponsor our folding team :D

Congrats on your new motherboard! The Gigabyte X58 mobo is probably the most popular one on our folding team as so many of us use it. Not only it is priced right, but it really is one helluva motherboard. After using nothing but Asus boards in the past, i'm pretty much only using Gigabyte these days. My gaming rig uses the GA-790XTA-UD4, and my two folding rigs use the GA-X58A-UD3R. Since so many of us run Gigabyte motherboards, I wonder if we could get them to sponsor our folding team :D

I am running two gigabytes. One GA-X58A-UD3R I bought from a fellow folder and a GA-EP43-UD3L. The Ctrl F1 thing is weird but you get used to that quickly enough! My active home systems are HP desktop (got it for free) the two gigabytes and an old Epox board SocketA. My car PC has a Socket 754 Abit board. So custom built boxes here are fifty percent.

I wonder if they would be willing to do a little sponsorship action...

Gigabyte is definitely my favorite and i have had the best luck with them. My only problem with most of their boards is the color scheme sucks.

Would be sweet to have a solid black or black/red scheme:)

Love it! For me, it was all about the QPI voltage. Once I put it at 1.5V, I was rolling. Also, took the decorative tin things off the heat sinks on the MB to help them get a little more air.

Got my l5640 to around 215 bclk on my ud5
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Had my Gigabyte for 2 years worth of heavy gaming and all nighters. Never had a problem. I bought an MSI a week or two ago. They are pretty solid since I accidentally hit it a couple of times. The only mobo I had any problems with was an EVGA board. lasted only 4 months.

Got two Gigabyte mainboards from Tiger's old farm and using a GB mainboard in my main system as well. Made my housemate get Gigabyte for his new gaming system this year as well :D

I switched to Gigabyte when Asus customer service and RMA headaches pissed me off. 3 of 5 PC's here are on Gigabyte boards and the other two will be replaced with gigabyte as needed.

After a few RMa hell with Asus board on my HTPC, I bought a Gigabyte and so far, I'm impressed by the stability and features with the right price. I guess Gigabyte will be my brand of choice for future purchases. I used to be a diehard Asus fan but not anymore...

It sound like we really should ask them about sponsoring our team. It would sure make us look like hypocrites :)

I wonder if there's already a gigabyte folding team

EP45-UD3R (&P) and X58A-UD3R are legends, just check http://hwbot.org
soon a new beauty with black PCB will arrive
P67A-UD3R

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/stories/Gigabyte/Sandy-Bridge/P67A_UD3R_Oblique_resize.jpg[/IMG]

Note from FLECOM: Do NOT hotlink images, host them yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
EP45-UD3R (&P) and X58A-UD3R are legends, just check http://hwbot.org
soon a new beauty with black PCB will arrive
P67A-UD3R

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/stories/Gigabyte/Sandy-Bridge/P67A_UD3R_Oblique_resize.jpg[/IMG]

It is a good looking board however I only see one CPU socket and thus cannot reach legendary status with me ;)

Tales of the SR-2 will be told for years to come in the [H]orde.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless were all playing with our dual socket 2011 enthusiast boards by then (let's hope)

With the P67A-UD3R, it seems Gigabyte finally fired their homo designers and wisened up with a better team.

Haha so true.

Except now they looklike everybody else

It sound like we really should ask them about sponsoring our team. It would sure make us look like hypocrites :)

I wonder if there's already a gigabyte folding team

Looking like hypocrits is really not an issue here since we wouldn't be "paid" to fold. They would just be offering us discounts on our hardware kind of like how that other team gets discounts on eVGA's C and D stock. I'm really not serious about it as I was kind of putting that out there to joke around since the GA-X58A-UD3R is kinda like the unofficial motherboard of our folding team like how the Cogage True Spirit is the unofficial HSF of our team. Your SR2 folks don't count. :p

With the P67A-UD3R, it seems Gigabyte finally fired their homo designers and wisened up with a better team.

I actually really love the current color scheme in the Gigabyte motherboards. I think it is the best color scheme around as the other companies who use greens and reds are a bit too flamboyant for my taste. Blue is pretty much my favorite color. I drive a blue car, I wear a blue watch, and I love my motherboards blue. The Enermax side panel fan on folding 1 is also blue!

It is a good looking board however I only see one CPU socket and thus cannot reach legendary status with me ;)

Tales of the SR-2 will be told for years to come in the [H]orde.

I don't know...a lot more people can have a Gigabyte board than an SR-2. I would still guess that the team gets more points from Gigabyte boards than SR-2's...and this is coming from me, the #2 or #3 SR-2 whore we have... :)

Have to agree with Kendrak on that one. SR-2 is the legend of this gen.

Nothing wrong with the X58A-UD3R or any X58 board. I wish I had one. But right now I only "dream" of one mobo, and that has to be the SR-2 :(.

I think it would be appropriate for me to win one of those Gigabyte motherboards in the [H] giveaway to test out these products ;)

Their color schemes always made me ensure that I didn't have a window so I wouldn't have to be embarassed by the colors.

I'm personally an ASUS man, but Gigabyte definitely has been making some very nice products. Their higher-end stuff doesn't appeal to me too much, but their budget boards tend to have a lot of features for very reasonable prices.

Anyone have some good tips for overclocking on this thing? I'm kinda overwhelmed by all of the options that weren't available on the MSI board.

If you don't recognize a setting, a good rule of thumb is to leave it alone ;). With normal i7 overclocking, the only settings you really need to play around with are the base clock frequency, RAM speed, VTT/QPI voltage, Vcore, and RAM voltage.

heck, I've been leaving volts at auto with good success lately.

drop QPI speed down to 4.8ghz and the RAM speed down to probably 1066mhz ratio. then start pushing up the bclk.

I may try auto then. I had it up to 215bclk on my x58pro-e but I can't get over 200 on this one. I do have the 18x multiplier now though and I can run the RAM at 1600 with zero stability issues.

Anyone have some good tips for overclocking on this thing? I'm kinda overwhelmed by all of the options that weren't available on the MSI board.

I've got screen shots from one of mine at 4 Ghz that I took back when I got it stable. Looking at it today, it has currently logged 1203 hours at 4 Ghz since I last updated the OS, and has crunched 163 total A3's in that time.

If you're interested in the BIOS shots, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. Without resizing you're looking at 31 Megs zipped, though. If you want them resized to something more appropriate, let me know.

Ax

Screenshot4Ghz.jpg

Last edited:
Back