• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

good cooler for q6600

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
22,643
What is a good after market cooler for a 6600 that DOES NOT need the motherboard to be removed from the case to get it on there?
 
Artric Freezer Pro 7 ($30ish) is what I use on builds with Overclocks to 3.2GHz on the Q6600. Great bang for buck. If you plan on going higher or want bragging numbers you need to look at the larger towers and offhand I dont know.
 
I use the AC Freezer 7 pro as well. Cools my E7200@3.6Ghz to where I never get past the lower 40'sºC max loads. Its good enough for a quick bench at 3.9Ghz as well. Definitely a great value.
 
Technically you don't need to take out the mobo for the Scythe Infinity, because it uses push pins, but good luck actually doing it.
 
Whats your budget?

Sunbeam CCF $40
Xigmatek S1283 $36
TRUE ~$60
Copper True $120 - Not worth it imo.
Tuniq Tower ~$50
Noctua 12P $70
 
Most pushpin boards seem to need the board removed in my experience.
 
The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is pretty much the heatsink to get if you don't want to mess around with extra mounting brackets.
 
I have the Tuniq Tower and i am very happy with it, OC at 3.2 running 32 at Idle
 
DO NOT buy the new big typhoon (thermaltake).

I just bought one hoping it would be nice, not for quads that is for sure. It couldn't keep up with heat dissipation at 3.6ghz and the heat would just keep going.

However it can be put on (push pins) without removing the board which is why I liked it.
 
The TT Big Typhoon vX has the motherboard mounting kit where you have a backplate + large bolts to fasten...it's a pain to take off or put on inside of a small case like mine; however, it works GREAT. I really believe it's one of if not the best top-down heatsink/fan combos out there. I opted for it after concerns of ram/nb/sb cooling. It keeps my q9550@3.4ghz idling at 33-38c and loads under 58c with PRIME or ORTHOS - all with the stock fan set to 80% (1200rpm).

I would definitely recommend the cooler if you want some extra cooling to your motherboard. It's heavy though, so only get the varient with the mounting kit and not the push pins.
 
I have the newer push pin style (that I just installed and then just took out), and I can tell you first hand if you are planning to OC DO NOT buy it.

I can orthos stable all day long under 60-65c @ 3.6 with the 9700 120mm, with the thermaltake Big Typhoon I couldn't do 3.4, at 3.6 the heatsink/fan couldn't keep up with the heat and it just kept going up and up and up. I double checked mounts and even cleaned and redid thermalpaste to be certain.
 
The pushpin style is not for a huge 800+gram cooler like the big typhoon. It DOES work fantastically when you get the vx version. I was running my q9550 @ 3.8GHz and it idled a few degrees higher and loaded around the same. It cools better than a lot of tower coolers in fact. Anandtech and a few other sites have done reviews on it. It's always one of the best coolers in the bunch when reviewed.
 
I have a TRUE and it works very nicely with a 120 scythe s-flex on it. Running at 3.6, idle temps are in the 40's, under load in the 60's. Keep in mind I live in So. Cal so the ambient temps are usually quite high. And my video card generates a ton of heat as well.
 
Because I shouldn't have to rip the entire computer apart to change one thing. Thats stupid and a complete waste of time.

I used to think it was a snap to get in and do stuff, but now that I like a neat case it is a huge pain to get inside my main box like that. You just have to get it right the first time I guess. :D
 
The biggest problem I have with the bolt through coolers is the backplate isn't easily removable to move from one board to another. There is usually the sticky crap that stays behind.

TRUE was a good cooler for me. I have a pushpin style Scythe cooler now (can't remember which one off the top of my head). This actually clocks higher than my old TRUE but then again, I went from a B3 to an M0 Q6600.
 
The biggest problem I have with the bolt through coolers is the backplate isn't easily removable to move from one board to another. There is usually the sticky crap that stays behind.

The trick is not to remove the protective film on the sticky pads before it's installed the first time. That way you don't have to worry about unsticking the plate.
 
I've tried most of these coolers out and the best one I have used is the Zalman 9700
 
I've tried most of these coolers out and the best one I have used is the Zalman 9700

I don't know what world you've been living in, but in this one the Zalman CNPS9700 is nowhere near the top of the heap. There are much better coolers out there and for much cheaper, such as the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, the OCZ Vendetta 2, and the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer.
 
The trick is not to remove the protective film on the sticky pads before it's installed the first time. That way you don't have to worry about unsticking the plate.

I don't know...I never did that because I thought maybe it would melt over time to the board anyway.
 
I don't know...I never did that because I thought maybe it would melt over time to the board anyway.

Depends what the film is really. Most of the time in my experience, they use wax paper which will not burn at the temperatures produced by a CPU.
 
Get a cooler that blows down on the PWM area. This is especially important on a quad core system, as more cores = more heat. I recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106061

The VRMs on the vast majority of motherboards are already adequately cooled. It would be much better to purchase a superior tower-style cooler than to sacrifice cooling ability with a downward-facing one just to get a bit of airflow over the VRM area.
 
DO NOT buy the new big typhoon (thermaltake).

I just bought one hoping it would be nice, not for quads that is for sure. It couldn't keep up with heat dissipation at 3.6ghz and the heat would just keep going.

However it can be put on (push pins) without removing the board which is why I liked it.

Works fine on my system.. but of course mine has a few "special" touches and a fan below and above it to help the air be blown to the top of the case.
 
I have the AC Freezer 7 Pro w/ my q6600 @ 3.2 GHz, and I load at around 55c. I have a VID of 1.325 though, so my Vcc is at 1.3625.
 
Because I shouldn't have to rip the entire computer apart to change one thing. Thats stupid and a complete waste of time.
Maybe you'd learn something. Truth be told, just about none of them require you to remove your motherboard from the case, although it'll be tougher, in some ways, than it would if you did. Anyway, I think your reasoning leaves a bit to be desired.
 
Back
Top