Good Cheap overclocking s754 board

did you read the thread? i think he intends to buy baron's 2800+ that's limited to 2.2ghz

There are more Failed 2800+ and 3000+ out there than any other chip. If a CPU doesnt make the cut under testing it gets knocked down to a 2800+ or 3000+ and sold. Sure.... theres a few 2800+'s out there that can hit 2.4+ Ghz, but I would not call it a steller overclocking chip. THe new semprons are based on the same process the WInchester cores use. Its pretty solid at this point and yeilds are very high.

2800+'s and 3000+'s are typicaly failed 3200-3700+ Processors. They dont get knocked down toa 2800+ rating because they can do 2.2-2.4Ghz.

Is 2.2 really that bad though. I have a few other sellers who have supposedly never overclocked. I will ask what their chips can do.

Ok, one guy offered me a never overclocked A64 2800 for $75 shipped. He doesn't have an agp lock so he can't test it on his motherboard though. What are the chances of it being a good overclocker.

Its been my experience that when someone tells you its "Never Been Overclocked" that means it overclocks poorly....

Impaqt,
Nice results over there.

I've been kicking around making a baby step to palermo myself. There are no affordable ($200) pci xpress vid cards that are significantly faster (30%) than my current 9800p to make the jump to 939 worth it.

Do you think the chaintech/palermo 2800 @ 300 htt (2700MHz) would be a noticable bump from my current rig? I have the cooling to get the core to the high 2GHz range....the multi lock will make the htt speed the limiting factor.

my 2800+ humms along in my new vnf3-250 at 2.5ghz with no issues. temps are reasonable, with my tornado at 7v's on my xp90 according to digidoc i max out during p95 at around 56ºC but thats by a windows mesaurement, ill wait til i get a temp probe to give me a real temp, i still dont trust windows based things.

I was mistaken in my post above....the 2800+ palermo will clock at 2400 assuming you can get 300 htt. That is nowhere near the clock ceiling for that core with good cooling and voltage.
Perhaps the 3100 Palermo is a better bet. The 10x multi will give me chipset headroom to give me a shot at 3GHz core.

THAT would be a noticable boost over my 2.4 Barton.

Venice 3000 carries a $40 premium just for the chip, plus the pricier 939 board (at least $40 more), plus a PCI express vid card (280 bucks for a x800xl at the minimum). Screw that.

FIrst, there are lots of 939 Boards that use AGP.....

SO you dont HAVE to go PCI-e to go to 939......

The Sempron at 2400Mhz will outperform an AXP at 2400Mhz.

THe On-die memory controller is far superior to anything thats on a AXP Motherboard.

Plus... 2.4Ghz for a Sempron is a piece of cake... 2.4 on an Athlon is pushing that chip pretty hard.

Impaqt said:
FIrst, there are lots of 939 Boards that use AGP.....

SO you dont HAVE to go PCI-e to go to 939......

True, but the ones that OC are more expensive than the 754's that do, and you can't run palermos in them.

Back