"Sempron 2600 with Chaintec motherboard @300x8 for $150 new

OR

A64 2800 with Gigabyte motherboard @250x8 for $130 used"

Blinkme323 said:
How well does it perform Impaqt. What is your answer to:

OR

If you can get the Sempron to that speed, then go for it. No way this A64 2800 can touch that.

Blinkme323 said:
How well does it perform Impaqt. What is your answer to:

OR

If thats the Max for that 2800+, then I would Definatly go with the new Chaintech/Sempron combo. Its a Lot more fun to beat the hell out of these semprons....

Also.... All my OVerclocks and benchmars were done with the Stock Retail heatsink... :)

300x8 should be Cake for any 90nm Sempron.....

So with that Chaintec motherboard, sempron 2600, and stock cooling it is prett much guaranteed to get 300x8.

Impaqt said:
If thats the Max for that 2800+, then I would Definatly go with the new Chaintech/Sempron combo. Its a Lot more fun to beat the hell out of these semprons....

Also.... All my OVerclocks and benchmars were done with the Stock Retail heatsink... :)

300x8 should be Cake for any 90nm Sempron.....

That's really interesting. I bet the 90nm 3100+ can put to shame any S754 A64?

Blinkme323 said:
So with that Chaintec motherboard, sempron 2600, and stock cooling it is prett much guaranteed to get 300x8.

In OC'ing, nothing is guaranteed. The odds could be in your favor, but nobody knows for sure. I would go for it. Just remember the Arctic Silver ;)

robberbaron said:
That's really interesting. I bet the 90nm 3100+ can put to shame any S754 A64?

I wouldnt go that far.... The 3100+ only adds 128k or cache and a 9xMulti.

I cant imagine anyone taking a 90nm Semprom much further than I have... No matter the Original PR rating... My 3400+ Clawhammer system still beats up on my Sempron.... But thats about $200 more expensive (Hell the Mobile aloneis like $220)

I have thermal paste I got at radioshack for like $5. Will that work; did you use different thermal past impaqt? BTW, does this look good for my setup:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241581
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80142-1

I hope my Antec 400w power supply is enough for this and a 9700 pro. Just wondering, would the cpu or video card be the bottle neck on my computer. I have the 9700 pro at 330/330. I also noticed you have more than 1 rig. Would you consider selling me one cpu/mobo combo for $140ish.

Blinkme323 said:
I have thermal paste I got at radioshack for like $5. Will that work; did you use different thermal past impaqt? BTW, does this look good for my setup:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241581
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80142-1

I hope my Antec 400w power supply is enough for this and a 9700 pro. Just wondering, would the cpu or video card be the bottle neck on my computer. I have the 9700 pro at 330/330

It would be the video card if you got the processor to 2.6ghz.

The Antec PS should be Fine...

The 9700/Sempron should be a good match. The CPU certainly isnt going to hold you back... DInt hold back my 6800Nu...

I would definatly say get some AS5 while your placing the order..... Or at least ASC. A Large tube will last you forever........

ANd I used AS5 in my tests.........

AS5 and Nanotherm pcm+ is all I use.

(Danm.. DIdnt I say I was going to work?? grrr... lol)

Do more expensive thermal compounds really make a difference. Also, what voltage should I use. 1.5?

I pushed mine to 1.7v to get 2.62Ghz Stable.

I was able todo 2.4Ghz Prime 95 Stable (12 Hours) at 1.5v..... Maybe it was 1.55... I'd have to go back to my CPU-Z shots to doublecheck....

I don't know too much about s754 overclocking. Should I raise the Bus from 200~315. Lower the ram divider to 133. And lower the HTT multiplier to 3. That would overlock my ram 5%, cpu 55% :) and keep the htt below 1000 right. Are there any better ways.

315 * 8 = 2520mhz <- that'll be a very respectable oc, but let's go with it for now

with a cpu multi of 8x and "133mhz" ram, the ram divider is 12x
2520 / 12 = 210mhz.
you said you had some cheesy dell value ram right? i suppose it can probably do 210+ without a problem.

looks like you're on the right track.

and i thought i'd bring this to your attention. 200mhz slower. still 35s. my ram is 1:1. this is the power of a 1mb cache chip. with dual channel (aka, FX) that would probably be 34s
35.PNG

i would compare graphics scores, but it would be unfair. i have a 6800gt.
though in 3dmark05, i get a cpu score of ~5200-5250 at 2.4ghz, overall score of 4900-5300 (depending on how much i oc the video card)

No doubt a high end overclocked is faster, I am on a budget though. Thanks for the help I am glad to see I am on track. BTW, the sempron at 2.5 does 5030 in 3dmark05.

yeah, i was just pointing out that the cache really does matter, unless you're just going for all out mhz at the cheapest price possible.

My Max SuperPi Run was with the DFI 180 Memory Divider so that was about 290 DDR580. Cant remeber if that was 1T or 2T, as thats about the break point where I have to switch to 2T on that PDP XBL

at 300x8, my CPU Score on 3d05 is 4890. I never let 05 go all the way through with it at 2.6Ghz+ That rig is running Linux right now so no more 3dmark scores.... WHen I convert it to run in my car, I'll give it another go... But it'll have a 6200 then...

just to add my results, my sempy 2600+ retail purchased for $60 hits 2.5 ghz no problem on a msi neo plat refurb from the egg for $50. I backed it down to 2.4 ghz and gave it to my mom whose PC has an enormous amount of spy/adware that has destroyed the crappy P3. Anyway for $110 you would be hard pressed to find anything that performs even close.

I was about to order, but just started thinking. Since venice comes out monday, will prices drop and will poeple be selling some decent s754 etups for like $150. Should I wait.

i dunno if it'll effect the sempron price, but seeing as it's the weekend, the no real benefit to ordering now vs monday or tuesday ;)

Ok, I will wait then. Would you go with the Sempron, or somebody's old A64 who is upgrading.

which a64? i personally wouldn't go for baron's because of the 2.2ghz limit.. i would offer you mine and use the extra money to get a 3400+ mobile, but i'm limited to 2.3ghz, which isn't much better :p

Most people who are going to be jumping on the Venice bandwagon are going to be upgrading from other 939 CPU's I dont forsee a flood of 754 stuff anythime soon.

well there's always the people with 754 cpu's who are waiting for venice to go to s939 ;)
though yeah, there will definitly be a lot more s939 chips

er.. you don't want my cpu. i'm not sure what i would sell it for, but here's a picture. :(
how it still works, i don't know, but i wouldn't feel right about selling that to someone.

core.JPG

lol, what did you do to that thing. I guess Sempron it is. Someone did tell me that the Chaintec motherboard is crap though. Impaqt used it and got to 325 bus with it though.

took off the heatspreader.
then noticed the core was really rounded, so i lapped it down. never ever lap a64 cores.

EVER

(cf)Eclipse said:
er.. you don't want my cpu. i'm not sure what i would sell it for, but here's a picture. :(
how it still works, i don't know, but i wouldn't feel right about selling that to someone.

core.JPG

God, I cringe every time I see that thing and think "what if I did that to my 3700?"

(cf)Eclipse said:
which a64? i personally wouldn't go for baron's because of the 2.2ghz limit.. i would offer you mine and use the extra money to get a 3400+ mobile, but i'm limited to 2.3ghz, which isn't much better :p

Aw, how could you say no to the C0 2800+? Hahahaha

(cf)Eclipse said:
well there's always the people with 754 cpu's who are waiting for venice to go to s939 ;)
though yeah, there will definitly be a lot more s939 chips

Interesting that venice would convince people to buy a whole new motherboard and potentially a new video card. No way would I lay the money down for that, unless I had a card from several generations ago or something.

Blinkme323 said:
lol, what did you do to that thing. I guess Sempron it is. Someone did tell me that the Chaintec motherboard is crap though. Impaqt used it and got to 325 bus with it though.

I guess it varies. It is still the best board you can get new for your price range

For braggin rights, how will this stack up against my friend' s pc

Mine:

Windows 2000 Pro -- tweaked very well
Chaintec Nforce 3 motherboard
Amd Sempron 2600 @ 315x8
2x256 pc3200 @210 with 2.5x3x3x6
Radeon 9700 pro @330/660 --could go higher

His:

Windows Xp
P4 3.2 800 200x16 ht
1gb pc3200
Don't know the motherboard--pcie
X800XL stock

FOr CPU intensive Stuff, you should run right with him... FOr any 3d app... Your owned.... a 9700 just cant even try to compete with an x800 series card.

Yeah, his is probably still better. But, he spent $300 for just the video card and A LOT for the system. I spent $285 for my cpu/mobo/video_card/ram lol.

hahaha, baron... never ever do what i did to my cpu. it's just.. inhumane ;)

and blink, you OWN him when it comes to performance/price ratio. terribly i must say.

I am just a little considered that the Chaintec won't get me to 315 bus. Do you think it will be adequate?

Well, I did it... but Heres a couple things that may have helped....

Pull the stock Chipset cooler and apply AS5... Or better yet, get a vantech chipset cooler....

Run ONE stick of Ram.... 512mb should be plenty for most apps and games.... 2 ram modules will hurt your overclock.

Run the 9/21 Chaintech Bios. It was the most stable with the Sempron.

I added ramsinks to just about every chip I could fit one on onthe motherbaord... Mosfets, AUdio chips, chips that I didnt know what they were.....

No Volt Mods were done to achieve the Results inmy tests.

THis is a really good board and with very little effort, 315 is doable.

Hey, is there a chance you could sell me your rig. If not, do ramsinks really make a difference. The problem is that I have 2x256 sticks so I need both of them. Did you use a different cooler on the chipset. Will AS5 be fine. Is there a difference between all the thermal pastes.

if by ramsinks, you mean to put them on the power regulation mosfets.. it helps with a really heavy load. though on my k8n neo plat. the board comes stock with heatsinks on the mosfets, which i found to be a nice touch.

and really, any thermal paste is fine, but if you're gonna buy some, why not spend an extra dollar and get something you know will last quite a while without having to be reapplied

The more I think about it, buying a Sempron 2600 over an Athlon 64 2800 crazy. A Sempron is worse than an Athlon XP, is rated 200 points worse, 1/2 the bits, and has 1/4th the cache. They will both be the same price, but I can get away with a cheaper motherboard with the Athlon 64. I am basing my decision on the fact that the Sempron will be able to overclock 55%. What if I get one that doesn't overclock too good. Also, 2.2 isn't too shabby for an Athlon 64. I would probably only run the Sempron at 2.4 to be safe anyway. I am torn between the two, but am liking Robberbarons's better now. Could you post some benchmarks so I can see how it stacks up.

the 2800+ is a great contender, ask anyone who has em, they easily can make it to 2.4 with no issues, and will outperform a 2600+ at the same speed. i bought one cuase they can overclock like the devil, and i havent been disapointed. it does 2.46 ghz in my kv8-pro with some moderate tweaking. if you do go the way of the 2800+, get a LANPARTY!!! DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID! Lanparties are the best boards for 754's due to their insane bioses and the ability to give 3V's+ to the vDimm.

Back