Good Cheap overclocking s754 board

Blinkme323

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, I am going to buy a Sempron 2600 and overclock it. I am building a budget combo for under $150 and it got VERY good results on XBIT when overclcoked. At 2.5ghz, it beat out an A64 3400 in pretty much every test. I can get the proccesor for $75 which gives me another $75 for the motherboard. I have pc3200 and would like to have a good motherboard that has a ram divider and pci lock. I am shooting for 300 bus and 2.4ghz. What motherboard will let me do that for that price. I was thinking about getting this one, what do you think?

http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=13-123-219

Can it hit 300 bus, I would really like to keep it as cheap as possible so I guess the DFI is out of the question. Can I find one for $80 or so.

Eclipse told me his hit 305HTT with a divider, but i dont know if his was the platinum or regular MSI K8N Neo

Blinkme323 said:

Thats the same one I linked to. I would be wary of refurbs. Some people around here have refurbs that lack a SATA lock. I myself found a lack of a SATA lock on 3 and 4 (traditionally these are the locked ones on NF3 boards.) However, DFI reversed it, and 1 and 2 are the locked channels. So a board with a SATA lock is what you need (assuming you use a SATA HDD)

I don't think I have a SATA. I am using 2 hardrives that are from my old machine. 7200rpm and 4mb buffer. Will that let me run my Sempron at 2.4 with an 8x multiplier.

Blinkme323 said:
I don't think I have a SATA. I am using 2 hardrives that are from my old machine. 7200rpm and 4mb buffer. Will that let me run my Sempron at 2.4 with an 8x multiplier.

Well then you'll go through the IDE channel and there shouldnt be any problems there. But I really think that the MSI Platinum or DFI would guarentee a 300HTT. I'll look for info about the non platinum MSI and let you know.

edit: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA3LDY=

They got a 300MHz HTT on that board.

Thanks for the help. :) Also, will I have any compatibility issues with my 9700 pro. I am completely new to overclocking these new cpus. I have 2x256 pc3200 2.5x3x3x6 and a Sempron 2600. What settings should I run it for best perfromance. I want to keep the stock cooler. XBIT said they ran theirs at 2.5, but it is cooler and more stable at 2.4 with a 300HT so that is what I am trying to do. At those sppeds, it outbenched pretty much every processor except for the 3500 which beat it in a few games by a very little amount.

Blinkme323 said:
Thanks for the help. :) Also, will I have any compatibility issues with my 9700 pro. I am completely new to overclocking these new cpus. I have 2x256 pc3200 2.5x3x3x6 and a Sempron 2600. What settings should I run it for best perfromance. I want to keep the stock cooler. XBIT said they ran theirs at 2.5, but it is cooler and more stable at 2.4 with a 300HT so that is what I am trying to do. At those sppeds, it outbenched pretty much every processor except for the 3500 which beat it in a few games by a very little amount.

Optimal timings are different for each stick of memory. RAM is a very peculiar thing I'm finding. Sometimes higher latencies are better than no latency! For example, if I set my tRas to 0, I get less performance than a tRas of 12. Also, any CAS above 2 (and below 2) is highly unstable in CH-5. Do you happen to know what kind of memory is in those sticks of yours?

This is the last time I'll say it, but the DFI would reeaaally be the best choice, man. I can hit at least 318HTT on it.

It is a little out of my price range. Can i find it any where for $80. If not, I will go with the MSI I think. Can that hit 300 pretty easy. Also, my ram is out of a Dell Dimension 3000. I obviously can't run it at 300 so I will have to use a divisor then?

the DFI nf3-ut and msi k8n neo platinum are both awesome boards.. though they cost the same amount, which is just over your desired budget.

though i'm having trouble with my dfi hitting high mhz (i stupidly bought a refurb, gonna return it and get a real one), the k8n neo can reliably get to 310.. never really tested higher, though i could definitly boot into windows up to 315mhz. not stable though.

however, much over 250-280mhz isn't.. really needed for some light tweaking. i personally run 230x10 for my 24/7 speeds, mostly cause of memory controller limitations. on occasion i'll go for 245x9.. but that's rare.

The problem though Eclipse is that he seems really dead set on that 2600+ sempron. It has a multi of 8. 8. Plus it has 128kb of cache. It needs all the HTT it can get.

ouch. i didn't see that :(

hmm... yeah, my advice? DO NOT get a cpu with 128kb of cache. you will pay for it in performance. even though it still has an 8x multi and 'just' 256kb cache, the 2800+ is a better deal just because a64's like cache more than most people think.

however, this will increase the price of your upgrade just a bit more..

(cf)Eclipse said:
ouch. i didn't see that :(

hmm... yeah, my advice? DO NOT get a cpu with 128kb of cache. you will pay for it in performance. even though it still has an 8x multi and 'just' 256kb cache, the 2800+ is a better deal just because a64's like cache more than most people think.

however, this will increase the price of your upgrade just a bit more..

Hehe, his sempron has 128kb of cache. It's like a Celeron.

I agree about the 2800+ though. Hell I'd be willing to sell you a 2800+ for $75. I can get it to 2.2ghz on air. I cant gurantee any OC of course, but it has the "full" 512kb of cache needed to have a good S754. I could even send you the stock amd heatsink that came with my 3700+. It was pretty solid in games, but I'd rather use my 3700+ for obvious reasons ;)

Plus the 2800+ can do stock speed at 1.4v. Nice for keeping a cool and quiet computer.

Yeah, I was skeptical of that benchmark too. It said the difference between 128j and 1mb cache is only 6%. It also said that the 2600 oc'ed dusts A64's. Too bad they didn't overclock the the A64's too. I am VERY interested in that A64 robberbaron. Does it come with fan and does it max out at 2.2.

Blinkme323 said:
Yeah, I was skeptical of that benchmark too. It said the difference between 128j and 1mb cache is only 6%. It also said that the 2600 oc'ed dusts A64's. Too bad they didn't overclock the the A64's too. I am VERY interested in that A64 robberbaron. Does it come with fan and does it max out at 2.2.

I havent been able to get it higher than 2.2. Heat didnt seem to be an issue with it, just that the chip can't do it. It would come with the fan if you bought it.

I take it that it would toast an overclocked Sempron 2600. How old is it and what is the multiplier? Did it run stable and cool at 2.2; What was the voltage? Woul it work well with the motherboard NascarFool is selling:

"I have an MSI K8T NEO FIS2R. $55 shipped."

Blinkme323 said:
I take it that it would toast an overclocked Sempron 2600. How old is it and what is the multiplier? Did it run stable and cool at 2.2; What was the voltage? Woul it work well with the motherboard NascarFool is selling:

"I have an MSI K8T NEO FIS2R. $55 shipped."

If it ran decently on my Soltek, It should work well with that. I think the temps were about 40-45c with 1.65v and 2.2ghz. 2150MHz is really a much more stable and better speed though. It's an 0409 Clawhammer with half the cache disabled by AMD (making it 512kb) and the multiplier is 9x. I got about 90fps in CS Source stress with my 6800 and this processor.

Isn't that a pretty low overclock. I thought those could hit 2.4. Was the mobo holding you back. The MSI doesn't have a pci lock I found out, so I should spend a bit more for a new Epox or something.

Blinkme323 said:
Isn't that a pretty low overclock. I thought those could hit 2.4. Was the mobo holding you back. The MSI doesn't have a pci lock I found out, so I should spend a bit more for a new Epox or something.

Yeah, it is. It's a pretty old 2800+. I got it from Newegg in November. No idea why one from late February was still in their stock.

The lack of a PCI lock is what seperates a K8N Neo from the Neo Platinum I guess. I knew it had something to do with OCing abilities.

I dont know if the board was holding me back. I tried it in the DFI and got the same results, basically.

Blinkme323 said:
How would it stack up against the overclocked Sempron.

I honestly have no idea, I've never used a sempron. It really depends on the application. Of course on a 64bit OS, the A64 would win simply because it could run it. Also, the cache helps in things like gaming. How much it helps is arguable. I noticed a difference of about 5-10 fps in CS:S in going from 1.8ghz 512kb cache to 1.8ghz 1024kb cache on the 3700+ (I dropped the multi.) But 512kb of cache would be a large improvement over 128kb of cache, in games especially if you took the A64 to 2ghz or 2.1. Plus it has a higher multi than the Sempron. Though the multi doesnt really matter. I use multis of 7 or 8 when I can since I run dividers.

Hmmm, I might buy this. With a Gigabyte K8NS motherboard and 512 pc3200, what could I run it at. Also, could I exchange it with Newegg for a newer one.

Blinkme323 said:
Hmmm, I might buy this. With that MSI motherboard and 512 pc3200, what could I run at. Also, could I exchange it with Newegg for a newer one.

The highest HTT I got it at (and this is on an unlocked sata) was 250. You could run it at... 8x250 5:6 divider to run the ram at 200MHz/DDR400 and the HTT at 250. That would be 2GHz, which I would assume is stable. However, the lack of a pci lock is.. well bad. The PCI bus will increase about 1MHz every 5 HTT. So that would bring the PCI bus to 41.8MHz, which is way too high for anything to be stable.

So since that may be a no go (there are almost infinite combos with dividers, though) what memory is it?

Jonsey said:
Still trying to make a decision? I see you've changed your mind about the Mobile Athlon XP. I'm surprised no one suggested the chaintech 754 board, the VNF-250. Overclocks very well, and cheap, just what you're looking for.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-043&depa=1

Yeah I actually forgot about that. It's a pretty popular board too. I'd say its about the 3rd most popular 754 board, and for $75... yeah, thats the board you want.

Now we just need to see if a 2.15ghz A64 can beat a 2600+ Sempron OC'd to 300x8...

This motherboard does have a lock and I am thinking of buying it:
Gigabyte K8NS motherboard for $55 shipped (nforce3 250gb)

The memory is from a Dell Dimension 3000 and is 2.5x3x3x6.

Blinkme323 said:
This motherboard does have a lock and I am thinking of buying it:
Gigabyte K8NS motherboard for $55 shipped (nforce3 250gb)

The memory is from a Dell Dimension 3000 and is 2.5x3x3x6.

Ehh, what is it, Nanya brand or what? I wouldn't expect it to OC very far. I think dividers are what you'll need, and that chaintech would be great for it.

I hate Linking to other Forums for stuff like this, But I'm not about to repost my entire THreads....

I'm the resident Sempron Guru over at eocf, and have extensively tested the 2600+ with a couple Motherboards and done LOTS of research...

My Sempron Sticky
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=161198

and My Sempron Challenge
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=161028

The Challenge thread is filled with results and screenshots. I think you'll be surprised.

So what do you think impaqt? Robberbaron it would be great if you could run those benchmarks and compare scores. It would help a lot of people decide to buy. Maybe even a sticky.

I'm not registered at that forum, and registration requires an admin to activate my account. Bleh. Once I get in then I can review the results. Could you maybe put the pictures on imageshack and post them here?

So the question is......

Sempron 2600 with Chaintec motherboard @300x8 for $150 new

OR

A64 2800 with Gigabyte motherboard @250x8 for $130 used

Impaqt, could you post the results here, and how do you think the systems compare.

Even if your not registered you can still view the Messages cant ya? Hmmm....

I'm on my way out the door right now.... GOtta go to work and then run take care of a few things. I have over 20 screenshots in that thread... So it could be diffucult to get them all up here.

I have a GB K8ns-Pro with a 2800+ that my wife uses. I run that at 220x9 and in All CPU related tests, my Sempron Pwns it....

Its a CO Stepping Crippled Clawhammer. One of the worst 2800+'s out there for overclocking.....

The Chaintech VNF3-250 is a great board. But my DFI's are better. If you have enough round cables and accessories lying around, check neweggs refurb section. I picked up a DFI NF3-250 for like $65 when I was doing my testing.... Worked great.

Impaqt said:
Even if your not registered you can still view the Messages cant ya? Hmmm....

I'm on my way out the door right now.... GOtta go to work and then run take care of a few things. I have over 20 screenshots in that thread... So it could be diffucult to get them all up here.

I have a GB K8ns-Pro with a 2800+ that my wife uses. I run that at 220x9 and in All CPU related tests, my Sempron Pwns it....

Its a CO Stepping Crippled Clawhammer. One of the worst 2800+'s out there for overclocking.....

The Chaintech VNF3-250 is a great board. But my DFI's are better. If you have enough round cables and accessories lying around, check neweggs refurb section. I picked up a DFI NF3-250 for like $65 when I was doing my testing.... Worked great.
The images are attatched so I cant see the screenshots. And yeah, that 2800+ is identical to mine. I'm sure you can tell why I went with this 3700+ instead.

To blinkme: the sempron is sounding like it will be better but the 2800+ with 256kb of cache would be loads better for you. It's $88 though. Find a way to cut costs in the motherboard, such as that refurbed DFI if there is one, and go with the 2800+.

Ok, I just registered:

memory bandwith 3095/3097
multimedia 15289/16609
Arithmetic 7289/ (2632/3390)
Ecalc 34.157s
super pi 54s

Actually isn't too impressive at all, bad scores.

EDIT: lol, those are the stock score, I was wondering why they were so bad. I will post the overclocked scores shortly

Blinkme323 said:
Ok, I just registered:

memory bandwith 3095/3097
multimedia 15289/16609
Arithmetic 7289/ (2632/3390)
Ecalc 34.157s
super pi 54s

Actually isn't too impressive at all, bad scores.

EDIT: lol, those are the stock score, I was wondering why they were so bad. I will post the overclocked scores shortly

54s for 1m? OUCH. Oh, stock. I see. heh

Ok, Lets see here... Heres The Meat of my Benchmarks.... Most done at 2.6+Ghz with an eVGA 6800Nu Notice the near 11k CPU Score in AQ3! :eek:

8639.jpg
8640.jpg

8641.jpg
8643.png

8642.jpg

8644.jpg

Ok, at 300X8

Arithmetic: 10979 (3939/5118)
Ecalc 22.812s
Memory Bandwith 4143/4143
PI 37s

nm, you beat me to it and then some.