Godfall

This is one of a few games that looks like it could be either really good or really bad...hoping for the former.

Though it sounds more like an anti-cheat more with a bonus of anti-piracy feature. Overall it puts the game to a hard pass category for me. I won't support any game without an offline mode with my money.

Its a SP only game, honestly why should anyone give a fuck if legitimate owners want to cheat? Flimsiest excuse yet.

Pick it up for under $20 after the developers patch out the online only requirement in a few years when they abandon the game.

Its a SP only game, honestly why should anyone give a fuck if legitimate owners want to cheat? Flimsiest excuse yet.
I thought this was a SP/MP game like Dark Souls in that you can "get help" and "invade"? If it really is only SP with no MP side at all than yeah it's a bigger a.hole thing to do.
Pick it up for under $20 after the developers patch out the online only requirement in a few years when they abandon the game.
You mean if the devs survive and/or don't lose the source code and/or make it too expensive to patch out due to the cancerous invasion of the MP code due to bugfixes/patches in the space of time before someone notices "this was a bad idea".

I thought this was a SP/MP game like Dark Souls in that you can "get help" and "invade"? If it really is only SP with no MP side at all than yeah it's a bigger a.hole thing to do.

You mean if the devs survive and/or don't lose the source code and/or make it too expensive to patch out due to the cancerous invasion of the MP code due to bugfixes/patches in the space of time before someone notices "this was a bad idea".
It's SP or two to three-player co-op according to the below article.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/godfall?amp

This game looks so good but that gameplay is like the worst typical button masher I ever seen where you just go numb after a while.

https://videocardz.com/newz/godfall-requires-12gb-of-vram-for-ultrahd-textures-at-4k-resolution

Well the 3080 RTX cards are already outdated if you play at 4K.
With it's 10 GB of Ram Godfall requires 12GB

They're pretty sly with the word "may" in that article. Still, this is one of the (admittedly dumb) reasons I ended up chasing a 3090. Not the first and probably won't be the last. Hopefully the 20GB 3080 really is a thing or Nvidia has a refresh sooner than later. I always thought it was a weird decision to go with 10 rather than 12 or more.

Yeah I dont even care about this game I think Randy Pitchford is the only one promoting it.

Yeah I dont even care about this game I think Randy Pitchford is the only one promoting it.

LOL, big time. When he's not giving out Borderlands golden key codes every week he's been pitching Godfall pretty hard for the last 6 months. With so many games hitting at the same time, I'm going to wait on reviews for this one. If it's a letdown at all they might put it on sale for Epic's Christmas promotion.

Me neither. It peaked my interest when first showed but the fact it is just a looter game made me lose interest real quick.

I’ll likely buy this game shortly after release. I like decent 3rd person action game and Godfall has difficultly settings so I won’t get halfway through the game, get pissed, and never play it again.

I am excited for the game. Yet i am not happy. The epic game store is price scalping. The game did not cost more to produce. But they used this as an excuse to raise price by 20$. Ridiculous

I am excited for the game. Yet i am not happy. The epic game store is price scalping. The game did not cost more to produce. But they used this as an excuse to raise price by 20$. Ridiculous

What region are you in? Here in the US it's $60 on EGS.

By the way, Epic doesn't set prices for these games the publisher does.

I didn't even realize this came out...doesn't seem to be connecting with gamers as a next gen title...

Godfall might look next-gen, but under the graphical gloss, it's a hollow experience

If Godfall looks like a next-gen game, it certainly doesn't play like one...its third-person brawls try to mimic Dark Souls and Sekrio: Shadows Die Twice, but there's none of the nuance of From Software's masterful hack-and-slash adventures...

https://www.pcgamer.com/godfall-mig...-the-graphical-gloss-its-a-hollow-experience/

Last edited:
It at least doesn't seem like complete trash. I figure I'll keep an eye on pricing and see if I can snag it for $30 around Christmas.

major update released today...

-Ray-tracing is now enabled for users using Nvidia cards 20XX and up. Ensure that Nvidia drivers are at 461.09 or newer along with Windows update version 19041 or newer

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/february-11-2021-godfall-primal-update/4552030

looks like there's only an RTX on/off option. No Quality/Balanced/Performance presets, nor any DLSS unfortunately...so they haven't put any real effort into Nvidia optimizations and want AMD owners to experience the game in its full glory (although the game has gotten very poor word of mouth so AMD seems to have chosen the wrong game to partner with)

major update released today...

-Ray-tracing is now enabled for users using Nvidia cards 20XX and up. Ensure that Nvidia drivers are at 461.09 or newer along with Windows update version 19041 or newer

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/february-11-2021-godfall-primal-update/4552030

looks like there's only an RTX on/off option. No Quality/Balanced/Performance presets, nor any DLSS unfortunately...so they haven't put any real effort into Nvidia optimizations and want AMD owners to experience the game in its full glory (although the game has gotten very poor word of mouth so AMD seems to have chosen the wrong game to partner with)
It's really nothing special to look at to begin with. They are back to the old trick of putting bloom on everything to make you think it looks better than it is.

Disclosure: been playing it on PS5. The game itself is fun enough, I think. Starts out extremely shallow with 2 hours of not only limited abilities, but limited menuing. Once you get past that it opens up. Kind of reminds me of Too Human, but simplified. The comparison to a Soulslike is completely inappropriate in this case, and I am so sick and tired of hipster journalists making this comparison now with every single third-person action RPG that gets released.

The layout of the realms makes me think that they were initially going for a multiplayer live service game. As odd as it sounds, it's like a "AAA" live service game with stripped features.

It's really nothing special to look at to begin with. They are back to the old trick of putting bloom on everything to make you think it looks better than it is.

Disclosure: been playing it on PS5. The game itself is fun enough, I think. Starts out extremely shallow with 2 hours of not only limited abilities, but limited menuing. Once you get past that it opens up. Kind of reminds me of Too Human, but simplified. The comparison to a Soulslike is completely inappropriate in this case, and I am so sick and tired of hipster journalists making this comparison now with every single third-person action RPG that gets released.

The layout of the realms makes me think that they were initially going for a multiplayer live service game. As odd as it sounds, it's like a "AAA" live service game with stripped features.

I am getting my PS5 next week...finally...how is the difficulty? It's down on my list of games to play on the PS5 but it looks good and I love 3rd person combat.

I am getting my PS5 next week...finally...how is the difficulty? It's down on my list of games to play on the PS5 but it looks good and I love 3rd person combat.
Inconsistent. It is a breeze sometimes to where you get into a rhythm and all of sudden it spikes and you die. There is no penalty for dying, so you're not really learning anything from your death. Combat is really just about reading the telegraphed attacks and timing your dodges correctly since combat itself doesn't have a whole lot of depth to it. There is some strategy to picking the right armor for the job, though, as the strengths and weaknesses of each come into play depending on which realm you're in.

Free on Epic next week except it's the challenger edition which is Co-OP or PVP I think I don't own the game so I really don't know.
I always wanted this game but never could push the button due to the gameplay.

It's apparently also on PS+ this month for the PS5 folks.

Just for clarity

PlayStation is offering a unique version of Godfall called "The Challenger Edition" which "focuses on three unique modes: Lightbringer, Dreamstones, and the Ascended Tower of Trials."

These are all endgame content, meaning the version offered as part of PS Plus will push players immediately to post-game content with max-level characters pre-equipped with the right gear and weapons.

As noted in the PlayStation Blog, Godfall: Challenger Edition will be compatible with co-op and cross-gen play, but if players want to access the campaign for Godfall and the Fire & Darkness expansion, they'll need to upgrade to the Deluxe Edition.

Clocked quite a few hours on this one. Its a pretty sweet game if you're into the looter build crafting thing.

Just for clarity
It's basically the end of the game. I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to just get a taste of what the game plays like. I think the full game is decent for what it is.

I figure I'll give it a go just to see if I want to pick up the full version at some point. I'm particular about control schemes for games like this, so it'll give me some idea if I'll be frustrated or happy.

Back