Go home memory prices, you're drunk.

capt_cope

Gawd
I mean really now, I thought the price of ddr4 was ludicrous a few months ago, looking again today it appears the price of ddr4 has gone plaid. I paid $200 (and thought I was being foolish) for this kit a few months ago, now it's up to $399. Nearly $400 for a 32gb kit?! I was all excited to build a thread ripper box, but with ram prices like this there's no way in hell. Anyone have an idea when these prices will drop back into the realm of reasonable?

$55 cheaper at newegg
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232379

as a total non-expert, is it really worth $100 to get CAS 14 instead of CAS 16?
I didn't (and still wouldn't) pay an extra $100 for the tighter timings. I've had both kits in my current gaming rig, and I haven't noticed any difference between the two outside of synthetic benchmarks. I only ended up with the cas14 kit because I was able to buy it for the same price as the cas16 kit (which I promptly returned) and I've heard the cas14 *should* overclock better than the cas16, but I haven't bothered trying yet.

yeah, my server is screaming for more ram but not at double the price I paid a year ago

Just picked up 64gb(4x16) and dam it was pricey. But I traded a 5820 system for it, so was nice.

I just looked it up: looks like smartphones using DDR4 chips is putting a chokehold on supply.

A side effect of heavy competition in the android market, everyone is trying to one up each other that it's affecting supplies of other things.

Although I find more ridiculous in that 8GB*2 DDR4-3200 CL14 ram kit is over 50% more than 8GB*2 DDR4-2400 CL16 kit...

The prices in memory are increasing because supply is not keeping up with demand. SSDs and DIMMs are seeing increasing demand in the Enterprise market space. This year alone, I've seen 4 or 5 price increases at Dell for their server memory. A 32GB DIMM used to have a list price of about $549. Now it's $1000. It's really been driving up the cost of ESXi Hosts for our clients.

So the same ram I use in my rig 2x8GB DDR4 3000 Ripjaws V costs twice as much as when I purchased them. I wanted to save money by only buying 2x8 and later upgrading to 4x8, but WTF? How long should I wait? Will RAM prices ever normalize? It's not like there is a ramminer craze out there. Are the module manufacturers engaged in a price cartel?

Supply and demand. I doubt the process correct to previous levels this year.

This is not the first time we've had a memory shortage. The first happened when sri lanka and other parts of the world got nailed by that tsunami and it destroyed production capacity. But when we're creating more data than ever before and it's growing exponentially and the requirements from operating systems and compute power keep going up, then you need more of everything.

Every ESXi Host I sell these days has at least 256GB of RAM in it. The most common configuration is 512GB, and they go up to 1.5TB on the 2U boxes. Then companies servicing our ridiculous social media obsessions are filling datacenters like this:

datacenter_large.jpg

Then you might have a memory shortage.

I just order ram everytime there is a pricing error on amazon, some get delivered after weeks some not at all, but you can save good money with a little patience.

So the same ram I use in my rig 2x8GB DDR4 3000 Ripjaws V costs twice as much as when I purchased them. I wanted to save money by only buying 2x8 and later upgrading to 4x8, but WTF? How long should I wait? Will RAM prices ever normalize? It's not like there is a ramminer craze out there. Are the module manufacturers engaged in a price cartel?

jeez, i just paid 127 for ddr4 3200 ripjaw V, i'm sad now knowing how much cheaper ram was before. guess i should of been paying more attention when it first came out. :(

Yea I remember last year I could've bought a 6700k at microcenter for $260 and ram was like $130 for stuff that's over $200 now. Of course I decided to wait on both

I remember paying the equivalent of 70-80$ for 16GB of 1866 DDR3 back in 2013.

Didn't keep myself updated with the cost of DDR4 since I knew they were a bit high but didn't expect them to be THIS high.

Yeah, its gotten quite ridiculous. A nice motherboard for a Ryzen setup cost less than 16GB DDR4 to put into said motherboard.

Last week I paid $717 for 64GB of Cas 14 DDR4 3200 RAM. :eek: Talk about sticker shock, it's just $283 short of a second Threadripper 1950x lol. I checked the historical price on this ram and it was only $410 a year ago.

Last week I paid $717 for 64GB of Cas 14 DDR4 3200 RAM. :eek: Talk about sticker shock, it's just $283 short of a second Threadripper 1950x lol. I checked the historical price on this ram and it was only $410 a year ago.
I'm jealous. I really want to build a TR box, but I just can't justify it with the current price of ram. Hopefully someone will get sued for price fixing (ala lcd panels) soon and it'll get back to normal.

I've actually been watching the price of some GSkill TridentZ steadily increase over the last year. In July of 2016, the two 2x4GB DDR4-3000 C15 kits I bought were $52.99 each. Now they are nearly $100 each. I wish now I'd opted for the 2x16GB because that price has increased by over 175%.

I am glad I got my memory before it went up more. I think it was only 450 or something a few months ago?

The prices in memory are increasing because supply is not keeping up with demand. SSDs and DIMMs are seeing increasing demand in the Enterprise market space. This year alone, I've seen 4 or 5 price increases at Dell for their server memory. A 32GB DIMM used to have a list price of about $549. Now it's $1000. It's really been driving up the cost of ESXi Hosts for our clients.

A year ago I picked up 5, 32GB ddr3 ecc reg dimms for ~ $135 or so IIRC. That isn't each, that is total....

Looks like it's returning to DDR4/2011-3 launch prices. The 16GB Dominator plat kit is the exact price I bought it two years ago.

Yep £80 for 4x4GB DDR4 3000 back in May 2016. Now looking at £160!

Wow server memory has gone up too. I paid about $80 per module for 16GB DDR4 ECC RDIMMs about a year ago.

Looks like prices are up almost another 10% in the last week.

Even DDR3 is too expensive compared to what I paid several years ago. It actually made sense for me to buy the Optiplex in my signature $200 (it came with 16GB), rather than buy memory by itself.

it's almost like prices are going up across the board from each company at the same time in tandem.

it looks like a cartel but hey i only learn from history.

I have a Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3 1866 set in my support bag that I bought for probably £35 some time ago but I can't warrant selling it to somebody that 'just needs more ram' to replace the generic 4GB stick of DDR3 1333 as it costs £65 now and grandpa wont pay that.

I'm also weighing up getting a replacement 2600k Vs a used ryzen rig and ram. Interesting times. The octacore sure is tempting for video and content creation though.

Back