Go home memory prices, you're drunk.

Guess I'm confused as to why you keep posting that demand is going up, profits are going up and you already informed us that, the fabs choose to keep profit high by not ramping production.

Price automatically will go up, we have been enlightened to your economics wisdom. There is no other way it can go if all manufacturers agree to only raise production by the minimum they can get away with.

do you need a pat on the back?
Are you offended by facts and information or just salty in general? If everyone would rather complain about memory prices and argue about how the memory mfgs are crimals instead of knowing what’s going on, I’ll stop posting updated information.

PC DRAM prices expected to “only” increase 3% on average this quarter after a 5% increase last quarter.

NAND will continue to decrease this quarter but is expected to stop doing so next quarter as shortages are again expected 2H18

Micron spending $8B, Samsung over $24B. Is that sufficient for you delicate constitution?

Are you offended by facts and information or just salty in general? If everyone would rather complain about memory prices and argue about how the memory mfgs are crimals instead of knowing what’s going on, I’ll stop posting updated information.

Some of us appreciate the information. I'm waiting on memory prices to normalize before my next build.

Some of us appreciate the information. I'm waiting on memory prices to normalize before my next build.
The prices are normalized now. You expect them to hit rock bottom prices anytime soon? It is time to stop crying. As much as it sucks it is the norm now. While prices are still going up they have slowed down a lot. I just brought 32gb DDR 4 3200 for $350. It sucks but I am not crying about it.

Last edited:
I just brought 32gb 3200 for $350.

I'm so out of tune on memory.. is that pc3 3200? more specs plz?
ive got a ton of 8gb 2rx4 pc3L-10600R-9-11-E2 memory to sell... procrastinating on ebay listing...
ive got them running in a Lenovo c30, Lenovo d30, hp z800... maxed all the ram in them so they are ecc and support other systems... now I gotta stop being lazy...

Prices won't come down for quite some time, most likely. Server DRAM is where the fat margins are at, and as long as that's the case, manufacturers will move more production from PC DRAM to Server DRAM whenever it seems PC DRAM prices begin to weaken (thus keeping prices elevated). If RAM prices are they only thing holding up your build, just bite the bullet and do it.

I'm so out of tune on memory.. is that pc3 3200? more specs plz?
ive got a ton of 8gb 2rx4 pc3L-10600R-9-11-E2 memory to sell... procrastinating on ebay listing...
ive got them running in a Lenovo c30, Lenovo d30, hp z800... maxed all the ram in them so they are ecc and support other systems... now I gotta stop being lazy...
DDR 4 memory. DDR3 still has some value. Dump it if you can.

Prices won't come down for quite some time, most likely. Server DRAM is where the fat margins are at, and as long as that's the case, manufacturers will move more production from PC DRAM to Server DRAM whenever it seems PC DRAM prices begin to weaken (thus keeping prices elevated). If RAM prices are they only thing holding up your build, just bite the bullet and do it.

Agree with you. Not to forget the fact that there are only two major manufacturers for memory and now that they know what the market will bear there's no reason to compete.

I guess it didn't happen since your lazy @$$ can't read 10Q's and annual reports.

The onus to back your point is on you, not on the rest of us. Either way, we'll see if all this presumed R&D actually brings us any tangible performance benefit. 30 years in this industry have taught me to be skeptical.

The onus to back your point is on you, not on the rest of us. Either way, we'll see if all this presumed R&D actually brings us any tangible performance benefit. 30 years in this industry have taught me to be skeptical.
That's not R&D, that's the money it costs to migrate to new nodes and expand production capacity (the target of which is to replace lost wafer starts per month due to node/layer transitions).

That's not R&D, that's the money it costs to migrate to new nodes and expand production capacity (the target of which is to replace lost wafer starts per month due to node/layer transitions).

Well I don't know exactly what it's called then, let's say "investment". Considering the gross jump in profits from the current situation (that, based on precedent, I'm not entirely trusting that it's "inevitable" and out of manufacturer's hands, but I won't engage in conspiracy theories...), I'd hope all this money either a) accelerates the arrival to market of DDR5 or b) accelerates new research that will bring other tangible benefits to users. What I'm fearing is we'll see a few people pocketing a crap ton of money just because - which is when we get into thin ground regarding why the current inflated market is sustained, because any capitalistic venture is driven to expand production when business is booming, not keep the current limits to force price hikes. I'm not saying this is what's going on... but I'm highly skeptical about what I've been seeing for months.

....30 years in this industry have taught me to be skeptical.

ive only been doing this for 27 years LOL...

I remember when 4mb.. YES MEGABYTES!!!! came out and was like $175... so to me, memory is expensive, but gotta define expensive as we all want the best for the cheapest...

oh and I remember back in 1993/1994ish... Kingston gave all of their employees bonuses and from that I recall reading, even their janitors got like a $75k bonus due to profits so well off!!!!!

new.png

The prices are not great, but maybe they will continue to get a little better. I have seen a few deals for around the $160 price point for 16GB, and that is not a whole lot worse than before the hike!

The prices are not great, but maybe they will continue to get a little better. I have seen a few deals for around the $160 price point for 16GB, and that is not a whole lot worse than before the hike!

Whoa, we definitely consider "not a lot worse" to be very different things. That memory was $100 at the tail end of 2016, making $160 a %60 price increase. That's still unacceptable to me. $120? OK I'll pay the extra $20, but an extra $60 is still way too expensive. Of course, if your work depends on it, or you have to edit video and such, you do what you gotta do, but in my case, only using my pc for work with MS Office and gaming... I'll wait until prices go back to 2016 levels before I spend another penny on PC hardware. It's simply not worth it if you don't need, really need, it. I decided in October I'd fully move my leisure to the PS4 until PC prices stabilize, and so far I've spent less than $60 on 8 games. My money is getting me a looooooooooot more worth than buying RAM at inflated prices for not that much benefit! :)

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Whoa, we definitely consider "not a lot worse" to be very different things. That memory was $100 at the tail end of 2016, making $160 a %60 price increase. That's still unacceptable to me. $120? OK I'll pay the extra $20, but an extra $60 is still way too expensive. Of course, if your work depends on it, or you have to edit video and such, you do what you gotta do, but in my case, only using my pc for work with MS Office and gaming... I'll wait until prices go back to 2016 levels before I spend another penny on PC hardware. It's simply not worth it if you don't need, really need, it. I decided in October I'd fully move my leisure to the PS4 until PC prices stabilize, and so far I've spent less than $60 on 8 games. My money is getting me a looooooooooot more worth than buying RAM at inflated prices for not that much benefit! :)

You make a great point. I guess I was thinking of the early to mid 2017 as compared to late 2017/now. It will probably be a couple years before DDR5 is mainstream, so hopefully things don't get worse before they get better.

Glad I decided to keep some of my older servers around. Lots of used memory available at good prices.
I'm planning on adding another 128GB of DDR3 memory to one of my Dell servers for a total of 256GB. Cost for (8) 16GB RDIMMS, $600 :D

Well I don't know exactly what it's called then, let's say "investment". Considering the gross jump in profits from the current situation (that, based on precedent, I'm not entirely trusting that it's "inevitable" and out of manufacturer's hands, but I won't engage in conspiracy theories...), I'd hope all this money either a) accelerates the arrival to market of DDR5 or b) accelerates new research that will bring other tangible benefits to users. What I'm fearing is we'll see a few people pocketing a crap ton of money just because - which is when we get into thin ground regarding why the current inflated market is sustained, because any capitalistic venture is driven to expand production when business is booming, not keep the current limits to force price hikes. I'm not saying this is what's going on... but I'm highly skeptical about what I've been seeing for months.
Maybe this will help you untwist your panties

Prices are crazy, the memory I bought at the end of February last year is over 400 bucks for 2 sticks of 16GB each now, yet when I bought it the set was just under 200 bucks. That is just crazy it's moved that much.

Yeah, I've been waiting for this. Some people keep insisting that this is just demand/supply, but I know of no other market that has taken 2 years to figure out the situation. All this demand, no increase in production - it can't just be about the fabs. Also, memory makers have done this before, so... I'm not jumping to conclusions, but I'm glad at least this will now be thoroughly investigated.

Back