GK 110 for next gen!? lets hope so

dinlee23

Gawd
http://www.techpowerup.com/173851/NVIDIA-Kepler-Refresh-GPU-Family-Detailed.html

" When it's time for Kepler Refresh to go to office, TSMC will have refined its process enough for mass-production of GK110, a 7.1 billion transistor chip on which NVIDIA's low-volume Tesla K20 GPU compute accelerator is currently based.
The GK110 will take back the reins of powering NVIDIA's flagship single-GPU product, the GeForce GTX 780. This product could offer a massive 40-55% performance increase over GeForce GTX 680, with a price ranging anywhere between US $499 and $599. The same chip could even power the second fastest single-GPU SKU, the GTX 770. The GK110 physically packs 2880 CUDA cores, and a 384-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface."

The TechPowerUp article links to a 3DCenter article which is in German. A quick Google Translate of that article gives me a inadvertently hilarious translation: " Now lies again by SemiAccurate before a certificate of nVidia performance forecast for GK114 chip..." Haha, lies again indeed... :D

So that brings us about to the original article at SemiAccurate, which has quite a different tone than the TechPowerUp article did:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/10/15/will-nvidia-make-a-consumer-gk110-card/

There's another article in which it is reported that yet another German website has compiled the GK110 specs:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Specs-of-GK110-Based-NVIDIA-Tesla-K20-Finally-Known-299899.shtml

Going to that German site with Google Translate gets this interesting bit of info:

"Next year, the GK110 graphics chip land on GeForce graphics cards. Is rumored to be ready in March 2013 at the earliest - then finds coincidentally next Nvidia GPU Technology Conference in San Jose."

That article also backs up previous rumors explaining why we haven't seen GK110 chips in GeForce cards yet. They're being bought up by data centers for K20 computational cards. By the thousands. The article specifically mentions just one data center wanting 14,592 of them as soon as possible. Places like that are paying many times more for GK110 chips than Nvidia would ever get for putting them on a gaming card. What, then, is Nvidia's motivation for making a GK110 GeForce card?

no one really knows thats why im hoping that these rumors about gk110 in geforce chips are true... even if they release the 24xx cuda core variant it would still be better than the gk114 chip they originally planned and allot of people have been saying that the gk110 isnt meant for gaming instead it was meant for HPC well so was the GNC architecture and look what that did for AMD...

Typically, yields rise and costs go down making it profitable all around. That said it looks like the cycle is slowing from the hectic pace it once had.

no one really knows thats why im hoping that these rumors about gk110 in geforce chips are true... even if they release the 24xx cuda core variant it would still be better than the gk114 chip they originally planned and allot of people have been saying that the gk110 isnt meant for gaming instead it was meant for HPC well so was the GNC architecture and look what that did for AMD...

If you mean that it was less successful for AMD than they hoped, you have to remember that nVidia already went through that rocky territory with Fermi and still managed to come out with good cards and make a profit. I'm sure any "big-compute" Keplers that they release in gaming form will reflect the lessons they learned then. Edit: On re-reading, looks like you're saying GCN was better for gaming than some predicted, so agreed, plus this would be nVidia's second trip down that road.

Charlie's frothing hatred was amusing as usual. "GK110 for gaming will be a disaster! A power-sucking, overheated dud with only 20% more performance for twice the price! Only fools would buy it!" Yeah, let's maybe wait for at least a leaked benchmark or two, mmmkay?

What, then, is Nvidia's motivation for making a GK110 GeForce card?

Well, surely there are a finite number of these that research institutions/compute farms want. Consumers will help them keep making profit. 5 months away seems pretty long. You would think it'd be 3-4 months, tops...

the GK110 780 would probably have been released in November if not for ATI's troubles and lack of competition...now Nvidia can go back to price gouging and long gaps between generations

I actually prefer long gaps as it makes high end cards last longer

the GK110 780 would probably have been released in November if not for ATI's troubles and lack of competition...now Nvidia can go back to price gouging and long gaps between generations

I actually prefer long gaps as it makes high end cards last longer

Me too. Its not like a lot of games really push recent cards.

This product could offer a massive 40-55% performance increase over GeForce GTX 680, with a price ranging anywhere between US $499 and $599.

i highly doubt that. keep in mind the 680 now was suppose to be the 670. so i only see mabye a 10-15% increase over 680's now.

i think this is why nvidia has and continues to enforce voltage controls on the 680. it explains why nvidia in mid cycle forced evga to take the evbot plug off the classifieds.

they dont want it competing with the 780 or whatever they are going to call it.

Hopefully the next gen SLI scaling performance will be very good. I honestly do wish nvidia made single slot variants of their high end cards without sacrificing performance and having abnormally long PCB's. (Refers back to the dual Sapphire 1950Pro gfx card from DX9 days).

the GK110 780 would probably have been released in November if not for ATI's troubles and lack of competition...

Ah, the "all is well in NV land" rose colored glasses strikes again...

Trust me, if NV and TSMC could've produced a 7.1BILLION transistor GPU in November, they would have. Not for consumer card wars, but for the lucrative enterprise market.

So what approx release date can we expect the GTX-780 ? Is it just a couple months out, or not until Spring/Summer time ?

That would be a sweet card to run PlanetSide 2 on a 30" monitor.

Or maybe can handle these new 4k HDTV's sets :eek:

50% increase over the 680? I'll believe it when I see it. And then I'll buy one. :cool:

kinda hoping they go along with intel's cpu haswell, some big upgrade over my amd 955 and gtx 580 is needed to push 1440

Back