• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Thread

I have changed the volts to my CPU to 1.2 and i no longer have coil whine with C1E up.

And no one is "accepting" it as a solution, but do you have any other ideas?
 
I have had this board for 2 months now and its great, I just got a new kit of 6GB G Skill ripjaws 1600 MHz and man that memory is excellent, I currently have it overclocked to 2000 MHz stable. Great memory I highly recommend it for this board.
Also Gigabyte is aware of the CPU whine, not sure on a fix yet. I will keep all of you updated. I also ordered a 980x should have it Monday. I am excited.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231304

Here is the memory and it beats corsair in alot of benchmarks..

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=836&page=3
 
Geez, I still can't decide to pull the trigger on this board or not. It has everything I need and want, at a price that can't be beat. But I have read so many problems with memory, and whines, and audio interference, and rebooting, and bios updates, and on and on ... LOL. Maybe there is my answer! :(

I guess it's like russian roulette that I would get one of the boards that seems to work without issue for some people.
 
I had a really good experience with it. The whine went away as soon as I put the volts to stock on the CPU.
 
You also need to understand that people post when things dont work, not when they do. I doubt its the majority.
 
As to not scare anyone off from this board, I recently swapped mine out with an Asus P6X58D and my memory problems have prevailed so it wasn't the motherboard. That being said, at least now I don't have coil whine :)

I'll probably keep the Asus and sell the Gigabyte, although I like the GA-X58A-UD3R BIOS much better than the Asus. But that might just be because I'm used to the Award BIOS.
 
You also need to understand that people post when things dont work, not when they do. I doubt its the majority.
Exactly, my problem turned out to be nothing more then a noob mistake. Turns out all my problems were due to me not pushing my ram all the way in:mad:. The problem i'm having now is installing win7:(
 
It just seemed a bit abnormal because the LED's haven't lit up before... The DDR voltage is on the red LED, and the CPU voltage LED is on yellow. I haven't changed any voltages or overclocked yet... all I did was adjust the timings on the memory and bumped up the memory from 1066 to 1600 which is its rated spec.

Did you ignore the overvoltage LED's...
I have the same issue... what causes them...?

here's some info I got recently...

also, the lights are supposed to come on, you are overclocking to run the ram at the 1600 speed. just ignore them.

because there are no CPUs that natively do 1600. the ram bus speed has to match the cpu's bus speed by some ratio. its an XMP profile or X-treme memory profile. and DDR stands for double data rate, have a read:) http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=68018

this one is all about XMP http://forum.corsair.com/upload/Using XMP.pdf

thanks
 
As to not scare anyone off from this board, I recently swapped mine out with an Asus P6X58D and my memory problems have prevailed so it wasn't the motherboard. That being said, at least now I don't have coil whine :)

I'll probably keep the Asus and sell the Gigabyte, although I like the GA-X58A-UD3R BIOS much better than the Asus. But that might just be because I'm used to the Award BIOS.

I actually had that happen on my OG Asus p6t - one day my 9 GB of ram was 4 GB. I got a replacement P6t and everything was back to normal. Now I have a x58a udr3 (because I have to have sata 3 and usb 3.0 to surf the internet and read email !) ...here is hoping all goes well.
 
followed this guide and its fine no whine on my mobo
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/28242-gigabyte-ga-x58a-ud7-living-review-5.html#post80455

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7
You know that this thread is about the UD3R mobo and not the UD7 one? :)

Hi guys,

Finally installed everything. X650 used as PSU. NO coil whine, HOORAY! I was pretty scared beforehand. Its working great, till now.

Great board!
Good to hear, because I just got a X650 lol.
Thanks for posting!
 
It's part of my build as well and I too got an X650 (on it's way from California). I'll report back once the machine is assembled. All the parts should get to my house by tomorrow.

i7 930
X58A-UD3R
6GB Corsair XMS3
Sapphire HD5850
SeaSonic X650 PSU
Coolmaste Hyper 212
 
Previously with a quad core penryn the motherboard needed a bios update to boot with that CPU. The problem was I did not had another CPU to perform the Bios update. I was lucky and a friend was willing to uninstall and lend me his core 2 duo, I updated the motherboard and then it was able to recognize the new CPU.
My guess is that this will not happen with i7 930 and X58A-UDR, being the 930 the same architecture as previous i7 9x0 series.
But to be sure could any of you X58A owners confirm that you were able to boot your 930 in this board out of the box with the shipped bios?
Thank you
 
Received my board today and maybe be able to install it all tonight. Since this is my first full build, I may not have results tonight. :D I will post my specs and experiences - wish me luck!!
 
You know that this thread is about the UD3R mobo and not the UD7 one? :)


Good to hear, because I just got a X650 lol.
Thanks for posting!

Of course I know this is for ud3r but ud7 is very similar and I used the specs on that link and I have no problems at 4ghz w/my i920 and the setup I used from that uk site.
 
Anyone here have booting issues with this board and the Logitech G110? My system will not boot with it plugged in. I've updated to the F5 bios and still it get's to the post screen and reboots. My other logitech usb kb works fine. Pretty strange. I know this may have been discussed earlier in the thread, but I haven't had time to read through all of the post so please be gentle with me.:confused:
 
I've read a lot of memory issues in this thread when pushing the memory over the stock 1066MHz, but I didn't see much/any talk about increasing voltage to the memory controller on the CPU.
 
Is it advisable to update Bios...to F5 ?
Gigabyte X58A UD3R
I have F1
Or should I leave it at F1?
Would that solve the damn overvoltage LED problem...?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1104242


thanks

I'd update to F5 since there's been some decent fixes in later bios's.

What's the overvoltage LED problem? You're running 1600MHz RAM aren't you? This requires running the voltage at 1.65 which is higher than the default so the LED will light up, that's what should be happening.
 
Isn't there a BIOS settting to enable a USB keyboard? I don't use one myself, but seem to remember the setting somewhere...
 
I'd update to F5 since there's been some decent fixes in later bios's.

What's the overvoltage LED problem? You're running 1600MHz RAM aren't you? This requires running the voltage at 1.65 which is higher than the default so the LED will light up, that's what should be happening.

thanks for the info...
a little new at ovrerclocking, BIOS settings etc.
I did update to F5 successfully, last night...
Just making sure about the led light warnings...!
 
I had 3 or 4 of the VDRAM LEDs lit up when I was running this board, due to using 1.66v

It was only annoying because they are very bright blue, and my case color theme is all black w/ red lighting.
 
I have had no coil whine from either the x58-ud3r or the x58a. But never had c1e enabled. Nice board though took 10 minutes to OC 920 to 4.04
 
thanks...
I'm starting to get used to it...
On my MB the DDR voltage LED's green-yellow-red, all lit up.
Also the CPU voltage LED's green-yellow lit, red off.
That's acceptable....correct...?

thanks for your input....
 
Can someone with the coil whine issue clarify a little what it sounds like? Is it a constant noise when the computer is powered on, or does it come and go?

Thanks,
 
I've read a lot of memory issues in this thread when pushing the memory over the stock 1066MHz, .


Fuck, this is what I'm encountering. I have Corsair XMS3 (2x2x2) 6GB RAM and it won't recognize all 3 sticks once I go over stock frequencies!

EDIT: I can randomly get up to ~1500 with some luck and testing, but still, this is a huge hassle and isn't 1600.
 
Last edited:
==============================
I figure out my memory issues. Turns out one stick of OCZ was bad.
Stupid me should have checked each module individually from the get go.
I'm currently running a single kit (3x2GB) perfectly fine @ 1400
==============================
 
Hi guys this is my first post here.

I have also run into memory issues with this board.
I`m runing TR3X6G1600C9 - 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3 and i7 920.
The installation of Win7 x64 went smoothly on default speed of 1066. I haven`t OC`ed and I`m not planning to.
Then I`ve tried to fiddle in BIOS and changed sata controller mode to AHCI and selected XMP profile1
To run the memory on it`s nominal speed (1600). Since then I was unable load windows unless I revert everything back to "optimised default" in BIOS.
I even flashed to the latest BIOS successfully (F5) but still no success on booting with the XMP profile so I reverted everything back to it`s normal working state ("load optimised default") and I still have four DDR Voltage LEDs light up (green-yellow-green-yellow) before windows loads (i.e. When in BIOS) but these leds go out as soon as it gets to the stage to load the OS.
Also one short beep is audible at every boot. I have read it`s the sign of a normal boot, but if I remember correctly I didn`t have this before I attempted to load the XMP, neither the LEDs.
Most annoyingly I can`t use controller mode in AHCI any more or else it crashes on boot so I have to use IDE mode as I dont want to set up RAID at this time.

When I`ve tried to run the Intel SATA RAID Driver setup file (iata_cd.exe) i`ve got the following error message:
"this computer does not meet the minimum requirement for installing the software"

Any idea how to get rid of the LEDs and the beep?
I`m not really bothered about the memory speed, I can live with 1066 if it makes the CPU happy, but I need that AHCI mode for the HDD`s.
Im thinking of uninstalling all mobo-chipset drivers (any suggestion how to?) then format c: and start it all over again.

10X
 
pmuadib, check your Intel Matrix Storage Manager when you are in your IDE mode. I think when you click on it, that it will tell you that the Raid Plug in and the Serial ATA plug in failed to load because the drivers did not install correctly. This was because the system was set up in IDE and the IMSM read the bios and didn't install them. Some how you have to set the bios to AHCI get it to boot, and uninstall as much of the IMSM as you can (anything that is open won't allow removal). Go to Intel's download site and download 8.9.0.1023. This is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager for desktops, if you are in the AHCI mode it will download everything you need (both Raid and Serial ATA plugins). It worked for me (I got the same message). Good luck.
 
That one obnoxious blue LED on the top right corner of the board, I just put a piece of electrical tape over it. You can still see light leaking on the edges but I bet you can just put a bigger piece to completely cover it.

I also got coil whine with all those power saving settings enabled, but I turned them off anyways so everything's good. The noise sounds like a high pitched whining/buzzing sound. The sound doesn't fluctuate, it's at a constant volume.
 
Fuck, this is what I'm encountering. I have Corsair XMS3 (2x2x2) 6GB RAM and it won't recognize all 3 sticks once I go over stock frequencies!

EDIT: I can randomly get up to ~1500 with some luck and testing, but still, this is a huge hassle and isn't 1600.

The memory controller is probably running out of breath. Have you increased your QPI/Uncore voltage at all? I've had two separate identical systems side by side: 920's, 12GB of Corsair 1600MHz each, Evga X58 3x SLI boards, both wouldn't do even 1333MHz at stock volts, same thing with only 6GB, but setting to 1066MHz was perfectly fine.

Just because you buy 1600MHz memory doesn't mean you can just crank it up there blindly. Sure the memory is rated for whatever speed, timings, voltage, but the memory controller in the CPU (part of the Uncore) is only rated for 1066MHz so there's no guarantee that you'll hit it on stock volts (50% speed increase, lol).
 
Does the intel raid controller natively use AHCI? Cause I am running my SSD on the same controller as the Raid 0 array I have, but I cannot find any Windows AHCI drivers installed.

How can I check that AHCI and NCQ are enabled?
 
Back
Top