Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Thread

I just put together a system with this board and could not get it to post no matter what I tried of course I tried all the hardest solutions before the easiest which I saw in this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264194-30-gigabyte-post. Once I switched the memory from the blue slots into the white slots the board booted no problem.

FYI: I know this was the P55 board but, the same concept applied.

We've covered which slots to use earlier, but thanks for the input... my upgraded memory should be in today via UPS, I'll see if that addresses my memory issues :)

If anyone's wondering, I can confirm the board works fine with all 6 dimm slots populated.
IMG_0480_1.jpg

Replaced an ASRock x58 Extreme that decided to die 2 days ago.

Have a minimal oc ATM with stock volts...hoping to go higher once I have the time this weekend. I think my ram is holding me back but I'm not about to go buy 12gigs of 1600 just to run 4ghz+ though. :)
(full specs in sig, obviously)

Initial results: Success!

12GB of Corsair DDR3 1600 (HX3X12G1600C9 G), board POSTed first time with RAM clocked at 1066. Went into BIOS and selected Profile 1, RAM speeds popped up to 1600 no problems. BIOS is fairly stock otherwise. Memtest is running now and so far shows no signs of problems.

EDIT: Memtest completed clean, updated the BIOS to F3 and re-ran, still clean. Installed Win7 x64 fine except for some large pauses through the initial screens.

Last edited:
I have an update as well, got the higher grade of G-Skill memory... install 3 sticks @ 2 gig each in the white slots, go into the bios and set to Profile 1. Boots flawlessly at 2002 speed and recognizes all 6 gig. I guess the QVL list does have some value :)

I am having a problem with my logitech x-540 speakers using onboard sound. I have the front speakers set to green, rear set to black, and subwoofer set to orange. I get the fronts to work and the middle speaker, but the rear and the sub do not work. When I test with 5.1 selected the subwoofer does not play, and the middle speaker plays for the sub and middle. Any ideas? I have played with all the settings. driver version is 6.0.1.5998.

little miffed, I was really hoping to avoid going back to my creative elite pro. But I may have no choice, I like the deep bass for fps games :)

I have an update as well, got the higher grade of G-Skill memory... install 3 sticks @ 2 gig each in the white slots, go into the bios and set to Profile 1. Boots flawlessly at 2002 speed and recognizes all 6 gig. I guess the QVL list does have some value :)

Is the reason why the first set of memory you bought not work because you didn't install it in the proper white slots?

I have the same set of memory you bought originally.

It says it is supported by asus p6x58d motherboard.

Do you reckon I should get that board?

Also you reckon the ud5 or ud7 worth the extra cost? and can they fix the memory problem with bios updates?

===

Also can ppl here plz post how much they can overclock on this board.

Can't address the speaker issue, I'm a 2.1 guy :) As for the memory, before this thread I didn't know how to set a profile and didn't try that with the original memory. It may have worked, but once I pulled the trigger on getting the new stuff, I didn't mess around too much with the other.

Can't address the speaker issue, I'm a 2.1 guy :) As for the memory, before this thread I didn't know how to set a profile and didn't try that with the original memory. It may have worked, but once I pulled the trigger on getting the new stuff, I didn't mess around too much with the other.

But did you put the original memory in white slots? or blue?

Also you think I should still go for ud3r, even though i got that same memory you bought.or go for ud5 or p6x58d...

Btw do you still have the original memory or sent it back? If you could test it with the new knowledge...

I was using the white slots, I actually read the manual before installing :) As for which motherboard you should get, I do like the UD3R and have no issues now... I did send the memory back today, sorry... get the memory a go, be sure and use the XMP option in the BIOS and it should probably work.

But did you put the original memory in white slots? or blue?

Also you think I should still go for ud3r, even though i got that same memory you bought.or go for ud5 or p6x58d...

Btw do you still have the original memory or sent it back? If you could test it with the new knowledge...

I was using the white slots, I actually read the manual before installing :) As for which motherboard you should get, I do like the UD3R and have no issues now... I did send the memory back today, sorry... get the memory a go, be sure and use the XMP option in the BIOS and it should probably work.

Just curious but how did u find out about the xmp profile thing would make it work?

I have been reading a bit about it..

Looks like it reads the info from your RAM and sets the info for you in the bios..
so you don't need to manually set it.
It suppose to overclock the RAM to 1600 or above..since intel only supports 1066 officially..
Weird that they would turn this off by default even though it would help with memory issues..

So what are your RAM currently running at now?

BTW can you post your best overclock. I heard it can go 4.4 on some forum

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243198

What are your computer specs?

Also do you reckon it is worth paying extra $100 for ud5?

Thanks for the thread it is really helpful more ppl who want to buy this board..
wish there was more reviews...

Last edited:
Actually read about the XMP portion of the BIOS in this thread and did some reading in the manual... I was clueless that profiles were stored on the memory, but it is a great idea. My new memory only has one profile, and once enabled is now running at 2002 Mz. As for overclocking, I haven't done any yet, I wanted my system to stabilize first before doing any too exciting.

My specs are basic, I7-920 with the new 6 gig memory kit, an EVGA GTX 260 vid card, 3 or 4 hard drives, a Corsair 620 PS. As for a UD5, I didn't see anything in particular that warranted the extra money for me, so opted for the UD3R... the UD5 supposed has slightly better power which may benefit overclocking, but other are overclocking the UD3R as well with good results from what I've read.

I'm back home and have had some time to play. F1 bios and all settings at auto except for XMP profile 1. Win 7 64 installed without problem. CPU-Z showing core voltage at .928 idle and 1.184 at 100% (i7 920 CPU). Memory at 1600 at 8-8-8-24.

Northbridge temp was not as bad as I thought it would be. Idle around high 40's C and after a few passing runs of P95 FFT test around 56 C - IIRC this is similar to the actively cooled EVGA x58 SLI board I built a couple months ago, which was a surprise (dont remember exactly and not able to confirm this at moment). Room temp around 26 C.

Next I will see how high I can O/C. I'm curious how this board will handle higher BCLK. I wonder how frikken hot this NB is gonna get? I'll update later with results.

Go here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243198

for overclocking help

someone got it to go 4.2 - 4.4

I want to buy the board but worry the memory will be a problem coz i got the same memory u bought originally.

If that happens then i don't know what to do..
would gskill rma it for a new working/compatable set?

I bought the ram last year so i don't know how it would go for rma..
though they got a lifetime warranty, does it apply to incompatable ram and M/B...?

If i go for asus p6x58d then it is supported memory...but more expensive...

Also on the gskill forum

they told to enter the values as follow

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4043&highlight=F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Just a note, don't be an idiot like me and forget to install the native SATA drivers. Was getting these little hangs during periods of high disk activity, started investigating, and found out I'd never gotten around to installing the Intel SATA drivers. Was still using the Microsoft default ones.

Durrrrr...

4.2 Ghz so far using BCLK 200 x21. CPU Vcore 1.29375, 1.255 QPI/Vtt, 1.18 IOH core, Load-Line lvl 2. Mem settings left auto using XMP profile 1 (seems to be working as it should).
Several passes using P95 FFT test and NB temps were mid to high 50's, CPU 72-78 using a Noctua NH-U12P with single push fan. HT and ALL advanced CPU features enabled (HT, C1E, etc).

There's more stability testing to be done and definately more tweaking, but it's lookin like it'lll probably end up around 4.1 - 4.2 for daily use since high 70's is about as hot as I want it getting.

Will update if / when I have more info. Next I think I will start pushing memory, BCLK and divider settings...

.. wanted to note I'm still using bios F1. I may go ahead and update to F3 but still have not made up my mind...

4.2 Ghz so far using BCLK 200 x21. CPU Vcore 1.29375, 1.255 QPI/Vtt, 1.18 IOH core, Load-Line lvl 2. Mem settings left auto using XMP profile 1 (seems to be working as it should).
Several passes using P95 FFT test and NB temps were mid to high 50's, CPU 72-78 using a Noctua NH-U12P with single push fan. HT and ALL advanced CPU features enabled (HT, C1E, etc).

There's more stability testing to be done and definately more tweaking, but it's lookin like it'lll probably end up around 4.1 - 4.2 for daily use since high 70's is about as hot as I want it getting.

Will update if / when I have more info. Next I think I will start pushing memory, BCLK and divider settings...

.. wanted to note I'm still using bios F1. I may go ahead and update to F3 but still have not made up my mind...

These boards overclock quite good despite only having 8 phases..

What is considered high or safe temps?
For NB and CPU?

78 seems high...what is idle temp?
probably gonna shorten your cpu life.
I would probably lessen the overclock to 4ghz or 3.8..

Only a 200mhz-400mhz less But would be better for your system...
And I don't think you will noticed it

If you want noticeable performance increase, get a ssd.
I saw on the youtube compare..
Things just load so fast..

Also check this guide

http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/Core i7 920 oc 4G 2008.12.12_(ENG).pdf

Last edited:

i just recently purchased a 920 build with this mobo and can't get it to OC at all!

specs:
ga-x58a-ud3r
i7 920
AC freezer 7 pro
corsair xms 6gb (2gbx3) 1600
lian li pc-60fnw

i plugged in the exact same settings you're using (actually used 200x19=3.8) and the computer simply won't post. sometimes it'll get to the windows load screen, then it'll shut off without rebooting.

if i load optimized settings, set memory to profile 1 (xmp on) and leave everything at auto the computer runs perfectly stable, so i'm fairly certain it's not a hardware issue. i've also flashed the bios to the latest version on the website with qflash.

do you mess with the qpi/uncore multis or do you leave them at auto? arghhh i just wish i could figure out what i'm doing wrong!

I'm running mine at 4ghz right now @200x20(turbo boost, c1e, all downclocking feature disabled)
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme w/fan , ~45 degree celcius idle, ~73 degrees celcius @ load
XMP Profile 1 8-8-8-24
CPU Volt @ 1.25
Mem Volt @ 1.65
other volt left to default
Uncore clock multiplier close as possible to x2 of memory speed
BCLK @ auto

doing some more tweaking, hoping to hit 4ghz+ with good temps

Last edited:
do you mess with the qpi/uncore multis or do you leave them at auto? arghhh i just wish i could figure out what i'm doing wrong!

One thing to check - When bumping up BCLK in M.I.T. section of bios, make sure your memory freq is 1600. I set System Memory Multiplier down to 8.0 or (I suspect) it will override the XMP setting of 1600 and attempt to seriously overclock your memory. It's possible it may be trying to do that. If not perhaps try running memtest with your overclock settings to help determine if it's the CPU or memory.

Also, maybe try leaving multi at 21 and lowering BCLK to 180 to achieve the same 3.8

I set QPI ratio to x36 and Uncore clock to x16.

Maybe you just don't have a good overclocker (CPU), but it seems 3.8 should not be a problem.

Just for grins I set my BCLK to 210 and was shocked when it not only POSTed but booted into Windows! It was insta-crash when I tried to run P95 but still was exciting to see 4.4 Ghz - even if only for a few moments. 205 BCLK was no better so I'm back to 4.2. Things seem stable enough but I think I will go ahead and update to the F3 bios and see if it changes anything (I'd like to get the VCore a little lower while still keeping 4.2).

@misfitsfiend,

The general consensus on x58 boards is to have uncore twice the memory frequency (2x) or sometimes 2x+1.

Example:

Memory: 1600MHz / 8x multiplier
Uncore: 3200MHz / 16x multiplier

Though you could have them off a little like maro had posted above.

Anyone know if the sata 3 is bootable?

Since when sata 3 drives start appearing we like to use it as OS drive..
What is the point off using it as a storage drive if it is not bootable?

Also anyone know if the p6x58d also bootable on the sata 3 port?

Man I am sooo in love with this board!! I didn't have any of the Memory issues you guys seem to be having with my Patriot Extreme Performance Gaming Series(PGS36G1600ELKC)

Not sure if they're on the QVL or not. I think alot of the problems have to do with stock memory voltages, this board seems to like RAM with a stock vdimm of 1.65, then I just set it to 1.66 and I'm off.

I can easily do 4515MHz(21*215) but like all my other GA boards before it only shows the 20x divider in Windows, I'm sure this is a windows issue though. So I just leave it at 20x215.

As for the shutdown with no turnoff simply re-install your SATA2 Drivers. This fixed it for me!! As for BIOS F3, just installed it yesterday and will give it a fair shake, F2 seemed a tad bit flakey for me but once everything was dialed in, she purrs. 18300+ mb's per second read in Everest suits me just fine and makes my Mushkin XPS2 1066 DDR2 in my old UD3P cry. pffffft dual channel!!! That's so last decade!

Unless I really needed all the extra stuff on the UD5 and up boards I don't see any reason not to buy the GAX58A-UD3R.

heh heh, good luck with this board, it's a winner!

I just wish there were more reviews on it, it cannot really be compared to the X58-UD3R well, maybe just a little, but I think it deserves a chance to be reviewd on it's own.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the sata 3 is bootable?

I have not even tried the sata3 ports. I would assume yes (it should be backward compatible) worst case maybe install the drivers for the Marvell chip prior to installing windows and it should see the drive. I have already transferred mine into its new home and I have the cables all neatly routed but later I may swap my O/S drive to one of the sata3 ports just to confirm it will boot if that's what you're asking (perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question).

I did need to install drivers for the USB3 ports - Win7 did not recognize them initially - still have not even confirmed if they work or not. TBH by the time I see myself using either (sata or usb3) I will probably have moved on to another MB :p

On the mention of overclocking, has anyone tried to use the Easy Tune 6 utility that Gigabyte includes on their motherboard CD? Any successes to report there? Seems like an easier way to OC with less hassle than messing around with dozens of bios settings. 80% of the performance for 5% of the hassle :)

^^ But that defeats the whole purpose of building a custom rig with all the best components. It's like putting a 6cly. engine into a vintage Ford Mustang.

I have not even tried the sata3 ports. I would assume yes (it should be backward compatible) worst case maybe install the drivers for the Marvell chip prior to installing windows and it should see the drive. I have already transferred mine into its new home and I have the cables all neatly routed but later I may swap my O/S drive to one of the sata3 ports just to confirm it will boot if that's what you're asking (perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question).

I did need to install drivers for the USB3 ports - Win7 did not recognize them initially - still have not even confirmed if they work or not. TBH by the time I see myself using either (sata or usb3) I will probably have moved on to another MB :p

Yes, the reason i need to know is cos if later on ssd drives with sata 3 support come out,
i would like to install OS on it.

If it only use for storage then pointless.

On the mention of overclocking, has anyone tried to use the Easy Tune 6 utility that Gigabyte includes on their motherboard CD? Any successes to report there? Seems like an easier way to OC with less hassle than messing around with dozens of bios settings. 80% of the performance for 5% of the hassle :)

If I felt that Overclocking was a Hassle, I just wouldn't do it. There is no software in the world no matter how good it is that will ever compare to a good ol fashion BIOS OC.

:p

And as far as the SATA3 goes, I'm sure you will be able to boot to it, if not now, a BIOS update will resolve the issue in the future.

F3 BIOS, the most stable for me by far. 0 crashes. 0 BSOD's while stressing = NICE!

Just brought this board yesterday. Very stable so far.

Guys is any way to save bios settings?

Last edited:
I never had any issues with saving settings, the standard F10 and "Y" always worked for me.

As for the OC utility, I tried it and it is a bit flaky... I may be back for some advice doing it the "real" way :) The issue I had was I was using an XMP setting on memory, and the EasyTune when cranked up was jacking the memory way too high and it failed to boot. I assume if I turn off the XMP setting, make sure I'm using stock timings, and lower the speed on the memory, when it goes up with the BLCK setting turned up, it should be in more normal settings, correct?

Guys is any way to save bios settings?

Just bought this board along w/i920 combo at newegg.com
thought it was a good deal.

I am using this memory w/this board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMX6GX3M3C1600C7
did anyone bough the same memory?

And does anybody have a proper procedure on how to install drivers? in what order etc...
I am putting my system together tomorrow

Last edited:
Thinking of getting this board for an i7 920 setup, which CPU cooler would you guys recommend? I am looking to get to around 3.8Ghz but would also like to stay relatively quiet. Would the Noctua NH-D14 fit?

Thinking of getting this board for an i7 920 setup, which CPU cooler would you guys recommend? I am looking to get to around 3.8Ghz but would also like to stay relatively quiet. Would the Noctua NH-D14 fit?

i have the noctua nh-12p and its idle at 35 with my 920. That is with both fans and a not so good as5 application. going to redo the paste with nh1 this weekend now they sent it to me. Noctua customer service rocks by the way.

Cooler is running on high and I cannot hear it in my scout.

Something to do with Q-Flash or something like that. I'm not going to worry about this update. I really wish Gigabyte would include some better release notes on their BIOS updates.

I agree, they do a poor job documenting changes between bios versions...

Something to do with Q-Flash or something like that. I'm not going to worry about this update. I really wish Gigabyte would include some better release notes on their BIOS updates.

Back