Gigabyte X48-DQ6 vs EVGA nFORCE 780i. Which one to go with?

anabioz

Limp Gawd
What should I get? A gigabyte X48-DQ6 or an nforce 780i?

Crossfire vs SLI?

HD4870's CF or 9800GTX+ in SLI?

Definitely the Gigabyte. Not only is it a better board with a better chipset, but two 4870s in Crossfire are also significantly faster than two 9800GTX+ cards in SLI.

I'd have a hard time parting with $200 for a new motherboard with i7 out there. What other components do you have? It sounds like you're doing a new build if you haven't decided on graphics cards yet.

The Gigabyte board is better simply because Intel chipsets tend to be more stable and run cooler than nVidia chipsets, whose only advantage is that they support SLI. And even if I did want SLI, I'd just get an X58 board. Heck, even if I wanted xfire, I'd get an X58.

If you're going to spend extra money to build a new high end machine, it would be worth considering the X58, supporting both SLI and Xfire, instead. And I'd recommend the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 X58 board. (I'd only consider the old technology if I was into maximum framerates with the best price/performance hardware)

The Gigabyte motherboard. NVIDIA Intel chipsets is not worth it, you would have heard a lot of stories about them being buggy, unstable and all that bullshit. I had a 780i and it was utter shit, glad I sold it and got a nice P45 instead.

But if you want both SLI and Crossfire, then a x58 is your best option.

I'd say go with asus's very-highest end board, especially if gigabyte still uses 8 usb ports on the back i/o panel. i've heard of too many gigabyte boards screwing up. I bought an x38-dq6 last year, but several ports on the back i/o panel didn't work, and a newer bios was much worse than the one before it. not to mention many other problems.

i'm surprised my foxconn (a79a-s) has worked so well but it was a complete rip-off. if i had waited just a few more days i could've bought the asus m3a79-t AND saved $40. I see that the foxconn one i have is now cheaper though.

X48 won the race. 780i is ok but is still pretty glitchy. Thank you guys for your replies :)))

I like gigabyte myself, and right now I am upgrading to gigabyte X58 for SLI GTX 285 :)

I truly believe gigabyte makes quality boards. From p35 to x58 i never had any issues. Crossifre was working excellent on X48-dq6. I hope SLI will not let me down on X58

Back