Gigabyte Q-Flash

Spetsnaz201

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
183
Trying to update my Bios through Q-Flash. It doesnt recognize my Carsair Flash Drive. It only gives me the option to update through floppy drive, which i dont have. I tried formatting the flash drive to fat 16 or fat 32, it still doesnt recognize it. Someone on another forum suggested creating a small fat 32 partition on the hard drive and update it like that. Q-flash still doesnt recognize it. The flash drive and hd are recognized in gigabyte bios. Any suggestions?
 
Do you have Windows installed already? I've used Windows bios update programs for years now without any problems as long as you download the bios ahead of time rather than let the program itself go out and find the right software.
 
See if you have the bios option "Detect Legacy USB Storage Devices" and make sure it is on. I think its under the "Intergrated Peripherals" menu with the other USB options (mouse, keyboard etc.) at least it is on Intel boards. I have not looked at a Gigabyte AMD bios in a while.
 
See if you have the bios option "Detect Legacy USB Storage Devices" and make sure it is on. I think its under the "Intergrated Peripherals" menu with the other USB options (mouse, keyboard etc.) at least it is on Intel boards. I have not looked at a Gigabyte AMD bios in a while.

i do not have that option
 
Hi.

Didn't want to start a new thread but I am facing exactly the same problem as the OP mentioned.I tried different types of USB Sticks, formatted them to FAT32/16, checked if Legacy USB Storage was enabled in BIOS and it was.

Nothing has worked and so I came to these great forums hoping to find some solution to this issue.
 
Does it show any hard drives? When I update mine with a flash stick it shows up under the hard drives listing.
 
Nope, it doesn't show any Hard Drives at all, just one "Floppy Drive" option to choose from even though I don't even have a Floppy Drive.
 
Qflash can be extremely picky on what usb drives you use. I've found that it tends to pick up smaller drives than larger ones. I've tried formatting my 8GB flash drive as Fat32 and it simply wouldn't work. Had legacy USB on and whatnot but it still wouldn't show up.

For shits and giggles I tried it on a 512MB promotion flash stick I got from a computing conference and to my surprise, it works.

Both formatted as Fat32. I don't know if it might be a controller communication problem with the bios and the usb stick or simply it can read from large devices.
 
It finally worked :D.

I tried Ronbo's way but VFD doesn't seem to run under 64-Bit environment.It needed some modification to the original source code and I didn't want to go through that hassle.

Biskquik's post was spot on.I tried another 1GB Kingstone stick and Q-Flash detected it immediately, everything went smooth and the BIOS updated accordingly.

Thanks a lot for your help and feedback guys.
 
VFD doesn't seem to run under 64-Bit environment.It needed some modification to the original source code and I didn't want to go through that hassle

maybe that's why I used to have a laptop set up just to do stuff like this. I'm sure I made the usb key in 32 bit xp
 
Back
Top