Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 & Purple SATA connectors

Burner27

Supreme [H]ardness
I am not sure if anyone can explain this but I upped the voltage on my memory (see rig in sig) to 2.0v and I set it to run at 1066Mhz with timings of 5-5-5-15. It boots fine, and windows is stable but the Seagate 500GB HDD I have attached to the Gigabyte RAID controller (i.e. Purple SATA connectors) doesn't post. Is there something I am overlooking?

Make sure your PCI (regular PCI, not PCI-e) is set to 33mhz and not auto. You stand to cause serious mayhem for your components if you don't lock the PCI and PCI-e bus speeds.

I use a p35-ds4 and boot RAID 0 off the gigabyte purple controllers no problem, also did on my old 965p-S3

pretty sure the purple plugs won't work for RAID unless you do it through the OS. they're rounted differently than the orange connectors.

edit: nevermind, just read they were working before, duh. shouldn't read before bed.

Make sure your PCI (regular PCI, not PCI-e) is set to 33mhz and not auto. You stand to cause serious mayhem for your components if you don't lock the PCI and PCI-e bus speeds.

I will try this. Why does the Auto setting work when I have the memory running at 800MHz but not at 1066? Is this some "known issue" with the P35 chipsets or is this a common practice for those who overclock? What if I purchased 1066Mhz memory and plugged it in, left everything on auto? Do people who purchase 1066 memory have to make the setting changes you suggested?

When it is set to Auto for PCIe, is it actually running at 100? What is the default setting for PCIe? If I manually set it to 100, do I risk damaging anything?

Thanks for the information

100 is the default. Some users set between 102-110

I personally have used 102 and 105

Just try it d00d.

Sometimes motherboards that have "Auto" don't lock the bus speeds properly, so even though on "Auto" it should be at 100 it might not be, it might have raised it for some reason. Its merely a suggestion. It may or may not work, but you won't know until you try it. Same with the PCI board @ 33 mhz.

I have no setting for controlling the PCI bus and locking it in @ 33mhz. What could it be under?

There is no setting that I know of, its locked on the motherboard and should not be a concern.

I would need to know what is connected where on all the Intel (orange) and Gigabyte (purple) ports and what configurations the drives are in (raid non-raid) and if you installed the pre-install drivers, what OS you are using etc. Did you just upgrade to 4GB memory ? By POST do you mean the machine will boot on another drive but the drive in question is not reconized by the bios ?

I doubt changing the memory voltage (if that truly is all you did) has anything to do with it.

There is no setting that I know of, its locked on the motherboard and should not be a concern.

I would need to know what is connected where on all the Intel (orange) and Gigabyte (purple) ports and what configurations the drives are in (raid non-raid) and if you installed the pre-install drivers, what OS you are using etc. Did you just upgrade to 4GB memory ? By POST do you mean the machine will boot on another drive but the drive in question is not reconized by the bios ?

I doubt changing the memory voltage (if that truly is all you did) has anything to do with it.

Intel (Orange Connectors)

SATA1: Raptor X (Single Drive OS)
SATA2: LG GGC-H20L HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Reader/DVD Burner
SATA3: Samsung SH-203B DVD Burner
SATA4: Seagate 500GB HDD
SATA5: Seagate 750GB HDD
SATA6: Hitachi 1TB HDD

Gigabyte (purple SATA connectors)

SATA1: External eSATA connection (400GB Seagate HDD--not on normally)
SATA2: Seagate 500GB HDD

All HDDs are Non-Raid single partition drives. OS is Vista 64bit Ultimate. 4GB Ram(Didn't just upgrade from 2GB if that is what you are asking) Drivers used are the Intel Chipset drivers dated 9/24/07 v8.3.1.1009 for Intel ICHR9. For gigabyte (Purple connectors): None

What I mean by POST is if I leave the memory voltage at 1.8v @ DDR2-800MHz setting with 5-5-5-15 timings, the 500GB HDD attached to the Gigabyte controller will show up in the bios POST and in windows and work properly.

To get the machine to successfully boot into windows @ DDR2-1066 @ 5-5-5-15 timings, I need to bump the voltage up +.2v. When I do that (that is make those three changes- I agree a simple voltage increase shouldn't cause this), the drives attached to the gigabyte controller no longer show up in the BIOS post, and when I get into windows, the drive doesn't show there either but the controller shows up in device manager.

I tried setting the PCIe to 100 instead of auto and my drive(s) on the Gigabyte controller are now recognized!!!

Thanks to all!!!

Happy to see that. :)
So, at last me and other users guessed it right the problem. :D

Back