Ghost In The Shell Official Trailer

Heh, that has been a thing I've done before, but not in this movie ;-)

Although I will say:
It may still be a box office bomb. Opening night our theater had fewer than 20 people in it.

Edit: Just looked it up, 1.8 million opening weekend. That ain't gonna make anyone happy.

That can't be right. Rotten Tomatoes says it made $19 million over the weekend.

"Scarlett Johansson opened her new sci-fi entry Ghost in the Shell to an estimated $19M from 3,440 theaters for a $5,523 average. The PG-13 film came in with less than half of the $43.9M that the star’s Lucy generated on its opening weekend in 2014."

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/box-office-boss-baby-bumps-beast-from-number-one/

Hollywood, you folks, you're just ruining movie going with each piece of shit you keep cranking out and the reboots and remakes and live action translations, seriously, stop it, just fucking stop it. :D
Better than the alternative though... have you seen Bollywood? Toho is bankrupt, and just generally speaking no one else has a budget to produce anything, with very rare gems that come out from foreign markets. And think about the rest of the world, they are all watching our stuff, but with really bad dubs.

The alternative is making better movies, period, and not just churning out shit. There are some talented folk out there writing screenplays that could be half billion dollar box office flicks easily but they never seem to see the light of day because of all the bullshit going on behind the scenes. And with Hollywood constantly pushing out stupid bullshit these days plus people having access to more content by streaming methods of various kinds and the multitude of services it will just progressively get worse as time passes.

I'm truly just sick of stupid, and that's all I've seen over the past year - well, to be perfectly honest I should say I have not seen it since I avoid stupid like the plague whenever possible and for the record I didn't pay cash out of my own pocket to see "Ghost in the Shell" as someone else did, either way it wasn't all that great in my opinion but some folks will go apeshit over the cinematics I suppose. Didn't really see all that much of ScarJo in the suit to be honest, she has a great body overall but that didn't actually give any glimpses we haven't seen before but of course that's the draw the movie makers were counting on to get the young males interested in it, that much is painfully obvious.

It's just sad to think of all the creativity that people have and yet we just keep seeing these craptastic flicks being made over and over again and billions of bucks just vanishing into thin air - might as well burn it, same effect in the end. :)

Better than the alternative though... have you seen Bollywood? Toho is bankrupt, and just generally speaking no one else has a budget to produce anything, with very rare gems that come out from foreign markets. And think about the rest of the world, they are all watching our stuff, but with really bad dubs.

I don think you have been much around if you think the entire world uses dub. dub is very much frown upon in many countries unless its target kids.
There are also plenty of good character based movies in "foreign" theaters. However a lot of it doesn't translate well to go into American theaters due to the general lack of knowledge of outside countries.
I also doe believe that the Hollywoods massive "lets target the grey masses" make it appears like movies there are not made this way might not appease the American people and thereby never get go come over here.

I don think you have been much around if you think the entire world uses dub.
Having only lived in five countries on three continents, and visited plenty others in the area does leave me a bit ignorant. What percentage of English films in China and Germany are not dubbed? *starts stop watch*
There are also plenty of good character based movies in "foreign" theaters.
Yeah, there really isn't. Check the box office results for whatever country tickles your fancy... they are watching our movies. They wouldn't if their own stuff were better, and, no, Japan, Brazil, or Portugal releasing one good movie every three decades doesn't count. ;)
I also doe believe that the Hollywoods massive "lets target the grey masses" make it appears like movies there are not made this way might not appease the American people and thereby never get go come over here.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

That can't be right. Rotten Tomatoes says it made $19 million over the weekend.

"Scarlett Johansson opened her new sci-fi entry Ghost in the Shell to an estimated $19M from 3,440 theaters for a $5,523 average. The PG-13 film came in with less than half of the $43.9M that the star’s Lucy generated on its opening weekend in 2014."

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/box-office-boss-baby-bumps-beast-from-number-one/

weird, google "Ghost in the Shell Box Office" And you should see the number I got. Quite odd.

but I'm now finding 19 mil as well.

They should have just had a brief scene in the beginning where the Major is originally an asian actress but her body gets damaged so she swaps into Johansson's body.
That's exactly what they did. They expanded it further to give her ghost a defined origin story. It will probably upset the die hard fans, but I didn't mind it. It worked out well for what they set out to accomplish, in my opinion.
ScarJo is too old+fat for the role. She's still hot and totally would bang, but this role should have gone to some thin half-asian model type. Her hair is ALL WRONG. No volume to it. Anime hair is asian hair and its totally different from anything else.
One thing the trailers failed to show is that she, in fact, lost a lot of weight for this role. She looks like half the person, practically, compared to when she last portrayed Black Widow in Civil War.

It's absolutely a bomb, that much is a given. Saw it earlier
Hollywood, you folks, you're just ruining movie going with each piece of shit you keep cranking out and the reboots and remakes and live action translations, seriously, stop it, just fucking stop it. :D
They'll "stop it" when people stop giving them money. Simple.

she's definitely a bigger-boned type of figure, no amount of weight loss can change that...
She's also supposed to represent a physical ideal, something an artist would have molded out of clay to be perfect... yet her facial symmetry isn't the best (teeth not centered in her face, right eye at an angle and higher than the left, cheekbones not even, kind of a big schnaz), and frankly, without makeup, I see fifteen more attractive women every time I go grocery shopping:
99cfe8dc5170dab3886b2343446dbbbf.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes is usually pretty spot on for action flicks, and gives it a steaming poop review: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_in_the_shell_2017/

But I'm still going to watch it anyway and probably enjoy it as I'm sure the CGI will be badass, albeit at home. :)

That's exactly what they did. They expanded it further to give her ghost a defined origin story. It will probably upset the die hard fans, but I didn't mind it. It worked out well for what they set out to accomplish, in my opinion.

That's what they borrowed from SAC 2nd Gig. Motoko and Hideo Kuze met as children before they were both cyberized (converted to full-cyborg). Only in the movie, they met as teen-aged runaways and were shanghai'd by Hanka Robotics for cyberization experiments. I didn't have an issue with this either- I actually like that Motoko has a living mom now, and those scenes were very well-done.

My only die hard fan beef is that they're throwing out all of Motoko's pre-Section 9 history, where Kusanagi was in the Army. (It's why she's a Major)

But I still don't feel that the filmmakers shit the bed in adapting GitS. Their only real mistake was underestimating the audience that was clamoring for it.

Thunder stolen?

Sure, lots of people like that and it's probably a better sell than trying to match a more typical anime body type:

*snip*

Well, realize that we are talking about a Shirow Masamune story (original creator of "Ghost in the Shell") and that Shirow almost always prefers to have his females as thin somewhat "skinny" and lithe beauties that have ample, uhmmm... assets one could say:

Shirow_Female.jpg

The man does love his females and guns, that's for damned sure. :D

This movie will probably wind-up like the actual anime film did.....a cult classic that builds momentum over time.

This movie will probably wind-up like the actual anime film did.....a cult classic that builds momentum over time.

doubtful. That original anime movie had style, class, and an artistic flair that predated the Matrix style of action. This movie retreads everything we have seen before and breaks no new ground moving forward. There is nothing 'new' with this movie, there is no 'grab' with this movie, this is a Hollywood 'blockbuster' in all it's dreadful trappings.

Been there, done that, give me something new.

What went wrong? The white washing cry babies, and people who are too blinded by their nostalgia because it's not an exact 1:1 adaptation of the Oshii films or SAC. Even though it states in the film twice, it is an adaptation of the comic. (With a lot of implied homages to other adaptations of GITS, visually or thematically. Even though the pieces like Kusanagi dropping off the building and cloaking originate from the comic http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qf2uz1KwOQY/V-OV1pdPLUI/AAAAAAADi0s/3nrDXsM0Vx8/w1600/1.jpg )

It's like no one remembers that every other adaptation of GITS takes it's own direction an spin from the original comic with big differences in tone and even setting. With the LA film being more true to the setting visually of the comic than Oshii's Hong Kong style background. (Which is another example of large deviations from the comic) Or Oshii's neutering of Batou's personality compared to the comic. And Oshii's first film is hardly some masterfully written piece of cinema.

Just another case of Fan Dumb.

This movie was great, not perfect, but a valid interpretation of the source just as any other adaptation with it's own spin on themes about the figurative Ghost in a Shell, does it resist manipulation, how does the human soul cope with a completely artificial body? The casting was perfect too, I don't think they could've done a better job. Despite the lack of Japanese casting for what are Japanese named characters and intended to be Japanese characters like Ishikawa. I doubt you would ever find a Japanese guy that could ever pull off looking like the character without looking comical like the Arise stage play.

The whole white washing thing is absurd, it ties into the plot perfectly. Plus, it's a series about a woman with a completely cybernetic non human body that doesn't look how the character was born as a human. Why would it have to look Japanese??
Of all the things from the Oshii film, does this look Japanese?
ghost-in-the-shell-1995.jpg

Granted, GITS:2:I looks a lot more asian. But given the series background, I really don't understand the problem. It would work either way just fine.

Last edited:
For some reason the front page article about the movie flopping re-routes to this thread. OK.

Ya know, I saw it last weekend on 3D IMAX, and I thought it was pretty good. The plot re-work at first seemed kind of annoying (and hyper predictable) but they pulled it off fairly well for a mass audience who might not know the material. I went in having seen the anime movie, most of SAC, and having read some of the manga, but without any sort of sanctity towards it. GitS has reinvented itself before so I don't consider the movie's re-imaging to be out of place.

I liked Section 9, I liked the scenery, I liked the ambiguous location (anywhere near an Asian coast in the future basically), I liked Aramaki. Batou's actor was kind of bleh, and the backstory of his eyes felt obviously "actor complained about the prosthetics," but he pulled off being Batou fairly well. I liked Kuze, though there's some plot issues with him.

I felt it was an action movie that didn't have quite enough action, which is a good thing for me but I can see how someone who's never seen it was probably expecting more explosions.

I saw the movie this past weekend and I LOVED it.

I honestly don't get all the whining about it. Was the story simpler? In some ways yes, but in other ways it filled out things, it made some characters more fleshed out instead of extremely wooden like in the anime.

The thing that really drives the movie is the set design/cinematography, it was bloody AMAZING. The new Blade Runner has a lot of work to do to top this movie in that regard.

Legit almost every frame/scene had an artistic side to it, you could tell they put a lot of thought into how each scene looked and played out.

I also thought that Michael Pitt did an amazing job in the movie and to me he was the stand out. Especially like how they did his voice, it gave him such an eerie yet heartbreaking quality.

I'm sad to see this movie getting so much hate, from the whitewashing thing (which the creator has even came out in support of the actress, they even use this in a plot point and it actually helps drive home part of the point of the story).

I also thought it was good. I really liked gits/sac and still found this to be an acceptable retelling of the story. The places where they expand on the characters worked well, and we are talking about the Japanese here. If they were going to make a "fake" body to put a female brain into you better believe they would go with a busty white woman. It's their thing apparently.

My wife liked it as well, and she has not ever watched any of the animes, so it did its job of appealing to new people and was able to tell the story in a way where it wasn't confusing to them.

As for why it failed I have no idea. The theater we went to on opening night was packed. I didn't hear any comments or complaints about how it "messed this or that up" . Maybe just bad release timing?

I heard it is good, but I think they have released too many "big" movies in the past weeks, so won't be going back to the theater for now. Will buy on disc when it's released.

So I guess the Major's plot revolves around her originally being an Asian woman, then being put into a "perfect" cyborg body...that is white?

I was never one of the folks claiming this was whitewashed, but with a plot like that I can see why some folks might...

Not sure if I will see this in the theater.

So I guess the Major's plot revolves around her originally being an Asian woman, then being put into a "perfect" cyborg body...that is white?

I was never one of the folks claiming this was whitewashed, but with a plot like that I can see why some folks might...

Not sure if I will see this in the theater.

A counter argument to "why is she Caucasian?" is simply, "why shouldn't she be Caucasian?". I don't feel like I should have to dig up references to show that many foreign cultures also adopt and appreciate aspects of American culture. To think that if someone manufactured a body, and had the option to make it look how they desired, it could look like a person from anywhere. As the body was a military weapon, though, It would make sense to design one that would appeal to the country with the largest military budget. Merica.
That being said, of course Holywood is going to pick a major Holywood actress to star in a financially significant film. As thematically, the body doesn't matter, I would have been satisfied with any person, as long as they could act the role, tbh.

I saw the movie with cautious optimism, and I was not disappointed. Sure it wasn't entirely faithful to any one source material, but I never assumed it would. If anything I felt a few of the characters and sections of dialog were maybe too authentic to the original materials, as there were too out-dated for modern culture and cinema. I'm just thankful they didn't include lines like the original movie's closing, "The net is vast and infinite."

Not sure where they get a production budget of 180. Boxofficemojo lists it as 110 million. The gross is currently at 70 million (worldwide). My guess is that it'll fall a bit short at the box office, but will make it up on PPV and disc sales. As for why it failed, I'm no expert, but I'd say it's partially do to the ridiculous "she's not asian" whining (reminds me of the bitchin about "Finn's supposed to be White" whining a few years ago) and the fact that reviews were horrible.

If they'd made a good movie, it'd have done well, even with a white woman playing the cyborg, because the odds are that the majority of patrons would have been unfamiliar with the original anime (just like virtually nobody ever heard of Finn before TFA was made)

All I know is John Wick2 has really great reviews, and I can't remember the last time I watched such a boring action film. Ghost in the Shell is pretty good, and has much worse ratings. People have strange tastes :p

I saw this on the Thursday evening before opening, first showing near our hotel in Dallas. I've never seen the original. I enjoyed this movie. It was t the greatest but it was fine. It was somewhat telling to me that the theater had less than ten people in it for the first showing in a major city.

well i know absolutely nothing about the anime since i'm personally not an anime fan but i enjoyed the movie. either way i could see why it would flop internationally though. i will say though i think they screwed the movie over with the trailers because after seeing the movie and seeing the trailers they pretty much gave away the core of the movie and there wasn't much left.

All I know is John Wick2 has really great reviews, and I can't remember the last time I watched such a boring action film. Ghost in the Shell is pretty good, and has much worse ratings. People have strange tastes :p

i think some of it has to do with knowing that Reeves actually did most of his own stunts and fight sequences and the bad ass gun fighting sequences are an easy sell. it's sorta the same thing with tom cruise movies which are pretty blah in my opinion but he does all his own stunts so that alone is worth seeing his movies for some people.

Last edited:
This was a movie with no market. There aren't that many anime fans in the US. And those people were never going to be happy with it because it wouldn't be 100% accurate to the source material. Everyone else would look at this and have no idea what the hell it was supposed to be. Unsurprisingly, no one went to the theater to see it.

I don't think whitewashing protests were the problem.

it was just an awful movie with a lead actress that isn't really qualified to lead any movie.
Scarlett just doesn't have the acting chops to play anything but supporting roles.
I mean if they made a Black Widow movie, it would flop hard as well.

Scarjo is way fuckin overrated. Her acting sucks, and many women are better looking than her

doubtful. That original anime movie had style, class, and an artistic flair that predated the Matrix style of action. This movie retreads everything we have seen before and breaks no new ground moving forward. There is nothing 'new' with this movie, there is no 'grab' with this movie, this is a Hollywood 'blockbuster' in all it's dreadful trappings.

Been there, done that, give me something new.
Cult classics generally don't attempt to appeal to the mainstream, which is why they have such a rabid following among the cult.

Considering this is a PG-13 movie with a cookie-cutter A-list actress, its clear they were going for mainstream, and so probably won't hit cult popularity anymore than Pacific Rim. But that's OK, sometimes just being entertaining enough to watch through a bag of popcorn is sufficient.

Edit: Although... I should just erase what I wrote, because the Fifth Element was PG13 and used Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, Gary Oldman, Luke Perry, Tommy Lister, and more famous actors and appealed to mainstream, and is arguably a cult classic, and I think I've watched that movie five times now, and still enjoy it despite its age.

So I don't know what makes a sci-fi a classic... hmmm...

Better than the alternative though... have you seen Bollywood?.
If you don't understand Bollywood, you don't understand Bollywood. Its kind of like country music......outside of its local market, its an acquired taste. But yeah, some of the crap Hollywood does put out is far less entertaining than Bollywood does. They absolutely understand exactly what they are putting out and who its for.

If you don't understand Bollywood, you don't understand Bollywood. Its kind of like country music......outside of its local market, its an acquired taste. But yeah, some of the crap Hollywood does put out is far less entertaining than Bollywood does. They absolutely understand exactly what they are putting out and who its for.
Is it like country music where its something you'll never truly get until you pine for the love of a first cousin?

This was a movie with no market. There aren't that many anime fans in the US. And those people were never going to be happy with it because it wouldn't be 100% accurate to the source material.

Perhaps the older generations aren't anime fans, but I know there's a lot of younger people (35 and younger) that love anime. The size and growing number of conventions, and the ever increasing content, including imported anime with English audio, proves how popular it is. Especially works by Hayao Miyazaki.

As for fans not watching the movie due to them butchering the characters or story. I'm not entirely sure what the producers were thinking. Classics like Ghost in the Shell have a deep fan base, if you're going to make a movie for them based on a beloved series, you better make the actors and costumes look as identical as possible, not waste resources on name brand actors. It wasn't even so much about the white washing, which is a small problem in the industry, but the fact the costumes, and even the actors themselves, weren't remotely true to the characters! This is the sole reason why it flopped, just as the live action dragon ball movie did a few years ago.

The script was a pile of garbage. The rest was fine. The people who wrote the script spent too much time snorting Cocain and not studying Japanese culture.

Back