• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Get Your VR on for Cheap!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
2FA
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
58,531
Now I will argue that Samsung Gear VR is nothing like the experience you can have with the HTC Vive and I have got a good bit of experience on that front, but if you want to dip your toe into the sparkling VR water to see what is going, the latest version of Samsung Gear VR is on sale at Amazon with Prime shipping for $52. This version supports a bunch of smartphones.

Samsung Gear VR 2016 - Virtual Reality Headset Black (SM-R323) - Latest Edition for Galaxy S7, S7 edge, Note 5, S6 edge+, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge (International Version)

Bit better deal over on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351811635631
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love some of the 360 degree VR artwork. It's also pretty cool to take 360 photos with your phone and then view them in the Gear VR. I took it to work and had way too much fun watching old guys watch VR pron, that alone made it worth the money. Talk about people making some comical noises.
 
fyi I have pixel XL and I felt that a 2$ cardboard device was better than the vr kit. major let down.
 
its not a bad little kit, got one free with my phone. Was enough to get me interested in it. But damn does it make my phone hot!
 
I bought a cheap $10 thing from Marshalls. Put my iPhone in it. It's pretty fun. It's very low end VR, but it's still pretty damn cool.

I'd love to see Vive or Oculus because I'd be happy with a similar VR experience with higher end graphics.
 
I bought a cheap $10 thing from Marshalls. Put my iPhone in it. It's pretty fun. It's very low end VR, but it's still pretty damn cool.

I'd love to see Vive or Oculus because I'd be happy with a similar VR experience with higher end graphics.

I noticed that Fry's now has the Vive out for trial with the motion trackers and such. Was here in Las Vegas, not sure about others.
 
I have one of these. Have used it with my GS7. High ppi, so the screendoor effect is better than I expected. I found that the device needs to be square on my face, and I need to be in an app and not looking at the menu. The blue warning screen when no software was installed instantly gave me eye strain, but otherwise in actual use my eyes are OK. I do wish they could somehow hide the black frame on the very edges of my vision.
 
well if the price is right....
LNElVow.gif
 
  • Like
Reactions: DF-1
like this
VR is the future. But it's going to be 15 years until it can make you feel that you are in the world of ....
 
Google Daydream View is USD$49 with $30 discount right now in Google Play Store, USA only.
 
All this talk of cheap VR headsets, what's the cost of the phone that they are compatible with. Inb4 someone says it's free with their contract.
 
All this talk of cheap VR headsets, what's the cost of the phone that they are compatible with. Inb4 someone says it's free with their contract.
"Free" because you would only buy it if you have a phone that is compatible already.
 
I have no experience with any other type of VR gadget, but the graphics seem comparable to the original Xbox. My wife got one free from Verizon when she got an S7, and the phone does get very hot. The $100 list price is ridiculous. However, at $50 it may be worth the price of admission to watch an older relative experience one of the Rollercoaster rides for the first time. Premium entertainment!
 
Gear VR is great for immersive TV watching. It's lower res than ideal but its really fun.
 
Gear VR is great for immersive TV watching. It's lower res than ideal but its really fun.

Is this a decent solution for watching tv in bed and you don't want to keep your wife awake? Does it work with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu or just Google Play stuff?
 
Is this better than google cardboard :bag:

suppose to be.. it suppose to- have additional motion sensors/trakcers that is suppose to be faster and more accurate then whats on th-e phone or google cardboard.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AK0tA
like this
install riftcat on your phone and computer and you can play oculus/vive games with it that dont require the controllers
 
Is this a decent solution for watching tv in bed and you don't want to keep your wife awake? Does it work with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu or just Google Play stuff?

That's pretty much its perfect use. I don't know about amazon or hulu but there is a netflix app with some nice watching locations as well as a void theatre that works well when laying down.
 
Back
Top