Get your PC Resident Evil 5 benchmark program!

@ 1680x1050,4XAA,everything set to high i got 36 fps w/rig in sig say's it ran without any prob's.but i still want 45-50 @ least.

all high 8x AA @ 1920x1200 on an 8800GT @ 760/1890/1015 i avged 38.1fps using dx9c on the variable benchmark.. (benchmark was done with the bottom rig in my signiture)

btw anyone doing the fixed benchmark, AA does not show up on it.. i tried various settings up to 16xAA and the performance stayed the same and you could still see the aliasing, it only works under the variable benchmark..

even at 38.1fps game still felt smooth.. though personally i do not plan to buy this game.. it just doesnt look right.. graphicly it looks good.. but there are so many flaws that i already hate the game.. 1 of my major gripes is that you cant blow the zombies limbs off.. the other minor gripe i have is that your secondary character can walk through zombies so that she can keep up with you as you move through the map..

...?

They're both third-person shooters; I didn't notice much similarity beyond that.

That's probably because you have a brain :) other less fortunate people seem to think RE5 is a GeOW-wannabe when its gameplay is based almost exclusively on RE4 (other than being able to stomp on some enemies and a slightly-dodgy cover system).

:)

re5dx102009071803475047.jpg

Try to run in DX9 - I didn't get any dips below 60 in DX9, but my results look just like yours in DX10 (Single 4890, Windows 7 RC)

I ran it in DX9, that did fix the area 3 problem, but my results are still below what I expected. I do however have a weird issue with the benchmark. The first time I ran it, in area 1, there was speech for the guy with the megaphone and the guy who gets decapitated. Every time after that there is no speech ... weird.

re5dx92009071810014575.jpg

EDIT: I just deleted and then reinstalled the bechmark and these are my results now, in DX10.

newqlz.png

Last edited:
There is something definitely weird going on with this game and ati based cards. Just for the hell of it I set all of the graphical options to low or turned off alt ogether, set the resolution to 800x600 to see what kind of numbers I could come up with. The first part I was getting icredibly high fps. The next three sections of the actuall gameplay benchmark I was still only getting around 50-60 fps. Averaged around 57 fps. Very strange. One must wonder if ati cards are being deliberately handicapped, because it sure seems like it.

Sig Rig: DX10 1680x1050, 8xAA, 60hz Vsync, all bells and whistles on or on high.

A solid 60 fps on the variable bench. Kinda funny it still rates it a B since it didn't go any higher then 60 fps.

One must wonder if ati cards are being deliberately handicapped, because it sure seems like it.

No, but you're being dumb.

The FPS plummets do not seem to happen in DX9. I just ran it in DX9 on a 4850 and it never dropped below 60, ever. It scored 90 average. In DX10 it dies in the later areas.

DRIVER

PROBLEM.

the conspiracy theories people come up with are truly mind blowing.

but there are so many flaws that i already hate the game.. 1 of my major gripes is that you cant blow the zombies limbs off.. the other minor gripe i have is that your secondary character can walk through zombies so that she can keep up with you as you move through the map..

What absolutely stupid reasons to hate a game you haven't even played.

I'm getting 60 to 72 fps on my rig @ the highest quality (see my sig).

However, my midrange gaming laptop which consists of a Turion X2 @ 2.2Ghz & ATi Mobility HD2600 runs the game on high quality at 22 to 25fps at 1280x720 which is perfectly playable for me. Definitely a purchase for me. :D

Keep up the great work Capcom!

DX9 does give more favorable results with ati cards compared to dx10.

2dluloj.jpg

i7 @ 4.0, xfx 4890 950/1100,
everything max, 8xaa

No, but you're being dumb.

The FPS plummets do not seem to happen in DX9. I just ran it in DX9 on a 4850 and it never dropped below 60, ever. It scored 90 average. In DX10 it dies in the later areas.

DRIVER

PROBLEM.

the conspiracy theories people come up with are truly mind blowing.

Average 90fps with your 4850...you're so full of shit dude. All I'm saying is that something is quite odd when I cant maintain 60fps with everything set to low/off, but then again you're rocking it out at ~90fps with a 4850 so...

Also I guarantee that the 9.7cats will do little to nothing in terms of improved performance with this game. I'm using the beta's right now, hardly any change at all.

Last edited:
There is something definitely weird going on with this game and ati based cards. Just for the hell of it I set all of the graphical options to low or turned off alt ogether, set the resolution to 800x600 to see what kind of numbers I could come up with. The first part I was getting icredibly high fps. The next three sections of the actuall gameplay benchmark I was still only getting around 50-60 fps. Averaged around 57 fps. Very strange. One must wonder if ati cards are being deliberately handicapped, because it sure seems like it.

probably not.. could have more to do with cpu limiting since its running at such a low resolution.. the ATI cards dont like running at resolutions that low.. even when you look at benchmarks for ATI cards they seem to do worse below 1024x768 then they do above it which probably has something to do with the architecture of the card and gpu..

what cpu, ram, os are you running?

what cpu, ram, os are you running?

amd 6400+
4 gigs Patriot ddr2 800
winxp
hd4870 512
The highest I can go is 1280x1024, which I don't consider to be low res. at all. We're talking ~10fps difference between absolute highest and absolute lowest. It just doesn't make sense to me.

highest with 8xaa
Area2 44.6
Area3 47.6
Area4 47.1

lowest, everything off
Area2 54.0
Area3 56.7
Area4 57.6

I got some weird crap with Windows 7...

I ran this on my laptop T9600, 4GB, ATI Mobility Radeon 4650. Yesterday on Vista 1920x1080 with some tweaks i was getting 28-21 FPS. Today with Windows 7 and Win7 CCC I'm getting below 10 FPS!! What gives?

Windows 7? Win7 Beta ATI Drivers? Or the game itself is not optimized for the Windows 7 yet?
I thought Windows 7 suppose to be gaming/performance friendly.

I just tried the demo.

Good lord! I certainly hope the PC controls aren't this bad! It reminds me too much of previous RE installments and i'd really rather not have those controls in an action game.

Windows 7? Win7 Beta ATI Drivers? Or the game itself is not optimized for the Windows 7 yet?
I thought Windows 7 suppose to be gaming/performance friendly.
The problem isn't with Windows 7, it's with ATi's WDDM 1.1 drivers.

As others have mentioned, ATi cards seem to be doing better in DX9 mode. If that doesn't help, you could try installing the ATi's Windows Vista (WDDM 1.0) driver instead.

I just tried the demo.

Good lord! I certainly hope the PC controls aren't this bad! It reminds me too much of previous RE installments and i'd really rather not have those controls in an action game.

Tank controls are kind of a RE trademark.

Besides this game would be way too easy with standard FPS controls and it would lose some of its "OH SHIT!" moments when you're getting ambushed from all sides.

nice graphics nice framerate but TERRIBLE gameplay, man this not resident evil this is serious sam 2 with zombies and friendly AI in third person view :(

that was on E6600 @ 3.3 and GTX 260 192 @ 676/1457/1158 182.50 win xp sp2, tried again with 186.18 and i got very minimal gains, run it once with default clocks and i lost about 22fps in the first area but the framerate in the other 3 areas was pretty much the same so my total average fps dropped from 83.4 to only 78.4, what are your results in the "fixed test" ? can't get any higher than 46fps it seems it's heavily cpu bound, btw does this game utilize more than 2 cores or not ?

btw thank you unrealsword for sharing this tweak, nvidia optimized my ass :D

Last edited:
amd 6400+
4 gigs Patriot ddr2 800
winxp
hd4870 512
The highest I can go is 1280x1024, which I don't consider to be low res. at all. We're talking ~10fps difference between absolute highest and absolute lowest. It just doesn't make sense to me.

highest with 8xaa
Area2 44.6
Area3 47.6
Area4 47.1

lowest, everything off
Area2 54.0
Area3 56.7
Area4 57.6

which test are you running because to me it looks like you are running the fixed benchmark which is fake.. it has no AA option in it and the quality never actually changes..

run the variable test.. its long as hell and makes you not ever want to play the game because of the glitches.. but its the only option for real benchmark numbers..

Does anyone know what it means when I get this message: "RE5DX9.EXE has encountered an error and needs to close"?

I can't even run the benchmark. It crashes before it even starts.

I have full latest drivers, firmwares, Windows updates, DirectX, and defragged hard drive. No overclocks, no viruses, I can run Memtest and Prime95 no problem, etc.

32bit WinXP SP3
ATI HD4870 video card
Intel Core2Duo E6600 CPU
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Mobo
2GB RAM
Onboard Realtek sound

(yes I realize my system is underpowered by today's standards, but Capcom's PC ports lately have been running so well I don't think raw power is part of my problem)

Anybody have a suggestion? I have no problems in any other software, I thought I always kept my system perfectly maintained, updated and taken care of. I've checked everything I can think of short of re-installing Windows.

The retail copies I purchased of Lost Planet Colonies for PC and Devil May Cry 4 for PC both run perfectly. I have no idea why this error is happening, and it gives me no info to narrow it down.

Maybe somebody who knows more about the technical side of things can help me out. What could this error message even mean?

amd 6400+
4 gigs Patriot ddr2 800
winxp
hd4870 512

It's a CPU bottleneck, I get similar results on my setup.

From my Sager NP9280 Laptop - All settings are Default with resolution maxed out to 1920x1200.

Screenshot taken with fraps.

Variable

Fixed

Not too bad.

What's so amazing about the third area? I was playing at 1920x1200 res with max settings and vsync but managed 40+ in all areas except the third one where I got about 15 fps despite it not being anymore impressive than the others. Specs in sig

have a 4870 512 using Cat 9.7

in the Fixed benchmark, anyone noticing hardcore aliasing primarily in certain areas of the wooden platform that the loudspeaker man & executioner are standing on?

I've run the benchmark up to 8x AA and aliasing is still very noticeable

CCC settings are app controlled for AA with the "Box" filter setting

From my Sager NP9280 Laptop - All settings are Default with resolution maxed out to 1920x1200.

Screenshot taken with fraps.

*snipped*

Not too bad.

Someone told me Sager went out of business? Apparrently they lied.. by the way that laptop looks nice ( I assume you have the one that has the glowing blue lights on teh hoempage.

have a 4870 512 using Cat 9.7

in the Fixed benchmark, anyone noticing hardcore aliasing primarily in certain areas of the wooden platform that the loudspeaker man & executioner are standing on?

I've run the benchmark up to 8x AA and aliasing is still very noticeable

CCC settings are app controlled for AA with the "Box" filter setting

yes, for some AA doesn't work on the fixed test, maybe they did that on purpose so you your performance will be even more limited to your cpu muscle.

Hit around 75 FPS @ 1920x1080 4xAA all settings high w/ motion blur. DX10

I like the graphics, but the gameplay seems really poor. I obviously cannot say much, as it is just a rolling demo; however, it seems to me that the AI is absolutely pathetic (even for zombies). Also, the guy playing either sucks horribly or the controls are poor. Perhaps a combination of the two.

Someone told me that enemies in RE5 only run towards you up to a certain point and then stops and starts walking slowly. Is this true?

If it's something they need to do to make it easier for consoles. The only way it'll be challenging on the PC is to nerf the controls.

Back