Germany Bans Windows 10 and Office 365 In Schools

If I understand MS’s response to their complaint this is exactly it. But hey Office 2019 does basically everything O365 does but isn’t cloud based.
What do you mean by cloud based. My subscription to O365 installs the latest version of Office on my computer and it does not require any internet connection to use it.

What do you mean by cloud based. My subscription to O365 installs the latest version of Office on my computer and it does not require any internet connection to use it.

That's my experience as well. I have a 365 license on my work PC and there are very clearly full-sized programs installed and present on my hard drive. They're almost the identical same size and scope as the 2019 versions on my home PC. They look and work the same way as well. Obviously there are some under the hood differences and some integrated web search/collab functions in 365, but I think they're closer than most people realize.

Education licensing for Office 365 is a user licensing agreement not a device licensing agreement, so while it does does do a full local install the licenses are still tied back to the online subscription and it will automatically synchronize with OneDrive and all that fun jazz as it all works through SSO using the Azure AD Pass-through. Using the Office 2019 licensing you can go per device instead and break the connection to the Online O365 services and instead go with an onsite Onedrive Business which is a front end to a local Sharepoint install again removing the linkage to the O365 online services.

While your install works perfectly fine offline try keeping it offline for say 90 days, you will find that your office install will switch over to saying there is an issue with your license and it will start prompting you with a sign in portal to your O365 account and will continue to do so until you successfully sign back in.

Back