Gentle Typhoon advice

I've had AP-15's on my Silver Arrow for a while now. I put them on just under the assumption that they would be better. I had three running at full speed since the PWM ability of my board sucks. About a week ago I upgraded to 16gb of ram and I got to looking at the fans again. So with the highest overclock I could manage (5.0ghz) I decided to test the two sets of fans. The difference between 3 AP-15's at full speed vs two TY-140's at full speed? 1c. The noise difference between the two is pretty large. Needless to say, I have three AP-15's just sitting in their boxes.

They did have a noticeable hum though. Nothing terrible, but they just are not as silent as the TY-140's.

Last edited:
I've had AP-15's on my Silver Arrow for a while now. I put them on just under the assumption that they would be better. I had three running at full speed since the PWM ability of my board sucks. About a week ago I upgraded to 16gb of ram and I got to looking at the fans again. So with the highest overclock I could manage (5.0ghz) I decided to test the two sets of fans. The difference between 3 AP-15's at full speed vs two TY-140's at full speed? 1c. The noise difference between the two is pretty large. Needless to say, I have three AP-15's just sitting in their boxes.

Pretty sure AP-15s aren't PWM fans..

Pretty sure AP-15s aren't PWM fans..

Doh. You're right. I got mixed up. Let me clarify. The TY-140's are the PWM fans, and those also run at full speed. The AP-15's were connected directly to a molex connector with 3pin cables on them. The AP-15's aren't able to be connected to the board as I am unable to get them to run at full speed through all of the ports. The CPU connector will run a fan at full speed but the two other (PWM) connectors will only run them at really low speed. So it was either spend the money on a fan controller and run my cables, or hook them directly to the power supply.

1300 RPM vs 1850 RPM really isn't a fair comparison. The larger size of the TY-140 also gives it an edge, as the heatsink is relatively low FPI and doesn't restrict air much. Where the Gentle Typhoons really excel is on the use of watercooling radiators, where the radiators restrict air a lot more.

Would you guys recommend using a normal case fan as the exhaust (out back of case) for the push-pull radiator config?

I never really thought about it but it sort of makes sense. I don't know enough about static pressure though.

Generally if you do push/pull, you want the same fan on both sides.

1300 RPM vs 1850 RPM really isn't a fair comparison. The larger size of the TY-140 also gives it an edge, as the heatsink is relatively low FPI and doesn't restrict air much. Where the Gentle Typhoons really excel is on the use of watercooling radiators, where the radiators restrict air a lot more.

It's as fair as it's going to get. These fans are not only the top rated fans for the SA but for all other purposes as well. I'm sure if they were "radiator only" fans then Scythe would have advertised them as so.

I'm also not trying to sound harsh, if that is how you take it. Just trying to point out my view of it.

Okay those cougars are loud! But it's mostly wind noise. I can reduce it a bit by lowering the RPM to around 1200. Not sure if I'm satisfied though.

Damn I miss my S-Flex E fans.

It's as fair as it's going to get. These fans are not only the top rated fans for the SA but for all other purposes as well. I'm sure if they were "radiator only" fans then Scythe would have advertised them as so.

I'm also not trying to sound harsh, if that is how you take it. Just trying to point out my view of it.

You compared apples and oranges. Well, you tried to and failed.
140mm and 120mm fans are an entirely different class. If there were a 140mm version of the Gentle Typhoon, it would shame those TY-140's.

I mean really, the 120's already beating the TY-140 temperature wise. Increase the blade surface area from 120mm to 140mm, and you can lower the rotational speed to get the same airflow at lower rpm.

Anyway, the fact still remains that no other fan pushes as much air as a GT through restriction for the same noise level. That's the reason why there's so much chatter regarding the GT's. It's not hype, it's fact. Proven, scientifically tested, repeated over and over, fact. Trying to deny that is like trying to deny that the sun is a giant ball of burning hydrogen.

I have bought ap15's years ago, and heard a terrible whine, which others didnt hear(@ different speeds). I sold them, all buyers where very happy (i checked).

You compared apples and oranges. Well, you tried to and failed.
140mm and 120mm fans are an entirely different class. If there were a 140mm version of the Gentle Typhoon, it would shame those TY-140's.

I mean really, the 120's already beating the TY-140 temperature wise. Increase the blade surface area from 120mm to 140mm, and you can lower the rotational speed to get the same airflow at lower rpm.

Anyway, the fact still remains that no other fan pushes as much air as a GT through restriction for the same noise level. That's the reason why there's so much chatter regarding the GT's. It's not hype, it's fact. Proven, scientifically tested, repeated over and over, fact. Trying to deny that is like trying to deny that the sun is a giant ball of burning hydrogen.

I only compared two sets of fans that are highly recommended for the SA (not a radiator). Thank you for stating the painfully obvious that one fan is bigger than the other. I also do not see anyone claiming that the GT's don't do exactly as you stated on a radiator. On my SA (not a radiator) in my system, 3 GT's vs the 2 TY-140's result in a 1c difference in favor of the GT's. They also do it much louder. I'd say that is a +1 for the TY-140's. Put them on a radiator. I would expect the GT's to win. +1 for the GT's. That is just plain common sense at this point. I really just don't understand the butthurt.

My point is, I understand where the op is coming from. The GT's even emitted a similar noise hooked up to a heatsink where the fins are nowhere near as dense. It's not hype, it's fact.

Last edited:
Noise is subjective just like music. FWIW I've had 5 AP15's going full speed in my case since March and I lovem. No high pitched whine, just a lil wind noise.

my2c

Back