Gentle Typhoon advice

PopTart

n00b
Hey kids,

I purchased 4 AP-15s to replace my NoiceBlocker PL-2s. Better performance with a slight increase in noise, albeit a 'nice' noise. Right?

The AP-15s emit a hideous, throbbing, high pitched whine! I'm picking at least a few of you have experienced this? Doesn't matter how I mount them - push, pull, rubber washers, holding the bloody things in my hand - no dice.

Has anyone tried the lower rpm versions, the 1450 and 1150rpm versions, specifically? What do they sound like?
Whoosh (fine) or whine (ugh)?

I use the AP-13s which I believe are the lowest RPM available and they are dead silent. I'm using them on a RX240 radiator which has very little resistance so it works out very well.

I have the 2150 RPM Gentle Typhoons, and I don't find them to have a hideously loud whine.

An 1850 RPM fan is going to be significantly louder than a 1400 RPM fan, regardless of design.

Thanks guys. Might swap them for some AP-13s; not like the RX360 isn't coping.

Any AP-14 users out there?

Pretty sure I bought the AP-14's and I believe all I hear is some wind noise. But the room has to be quiet for that to happen. If there's any background noise or I'm wearing headphones I don't hear anything.

And to be honest I only have 2 AP-14's in a case with maybe...4 other fans including the video card, so it might not even be the Gentle Typhoon's that I'm hearing.

Interesting that you just made this thread, I just made one last night about the EXACT same thing. I just put 2 AP-15s on my H100 and performance wise they are brilliant, but that high pitched whine is super annoying. I will be replacing them ASAP, but I'm wary of trying more Gentle Typhoons. Lower RPM will produce less "noise" but I fear the whine will still be there.

Yeah... I own 10 AP-15's and 13 AP-00's(2150rpm)... None of them make any high pitched noise, and they certainly don't make a throbbing noise.
I'd try them with a different psu, or directly on your psu instead of a fan controller or on the motherboard.
If they still make a noise try to rma them...

I already RMA'd 2 and they all make the sound. I'd wager a bet that they all make the sound it's just more or less noticeable to each individual. Some people hear things more easily than others, just like some people have really sensitive sense of smell etc.

There have been frequency/harmonics testing done on the GT's. There is no high pitched whine or oscillating noise in correctly working GT's.

They make a noise when run at certain speeds. I've seen a lot of people mention that they don't under volt as well as some other fans.

Scythe is getting out of the business so if you are getting them better do it fast...

Scythe is getting out of the business so if you are getting them better do it fast...

No they aren't. The company that distributes them in the US is. So for a little while retailers are going to have to deal with Scythe Japan directly. Eventually someone else will take over US distribution.

I wouldn't be shocked if prices went up a bit for some items.

No they aren't. The company that distributes them in the US is. So for a little while retailers are going to have to deal with Scythe Japan directly. Eventually someone else will take over US distribution.

I wouldn't be shocked if prices went up a bit for some items.

Heck, Scythe themselves are only a middleman. Someone or anyone else could probably open up a deal with Nidec who actually makes the fans. With how well GTs sell, it wouldn't take long to turn a profit probably.

I'm using AP-14's and AP-13's in my HAF XB build atm until my Aerocools arrive. They are very quiet and move a good amount of air. Great choices for case cooling despite all the competition still, GT's are unbeatable. Using a AP-14 on my Dark Knight as my LED Xigma fan crapped out and its working real well, even at 1450 RPM during load temps.

cmredo4.jpg

Right, well at least I know it's not just me! I thought I could get away with under-volting the AP15s, but still they whine.

@Colonel Sanders - Hard case man. What are you going to do? Go with AP-14s, or switch brands?
I'm going to return the 15s and give the lower rpm versions a shot (13 or 14, just need to make up my mind). Like you I'm just hoping the whine isn't still present. Only one way to find out... I'll let you know how I get on.

Where did you guys get your bad fans from? I wonder if it's the same place.

I got my AP-15's from aquatuning.us and the AP-00's from a user who participated in the group buy on OCN directly from Nidec.

Where did you guys get your bad fans from? I wonder if it's the same place.

This. The only time I've heard an AP15 or 14 whine was either when the impeller wasn't seated correctly (i.e. it didn't spin freely by simply blowing through the unpowered fan)...or when a dustbunny got in the gap between the impeller and the spider.

Got them from here - http://quietpc.co.nz/.

I'm in New Zealand, but looks like these guys are UK based.

I'm baffled as to why I got a bad bunch. I'm picking it's an inherent characteristic of the fan, and that I'm sensitive to the frequency they're throwing out...but hey, I could be wrong.

I had 3 mounted on the RX360 (rubber washers to be safe) and one as exhaust to the Cosmos II (should my case be making a difference here). Didn't matter if I ran them individually or had all four going at once - same result.

I'm swapping them for AP-14s and I'll holler when I've got them up and running.

All computer fans are annoying if you believe them to be. I just dont believe them to be annoying.

OP, you definitely are not alone..I purchased 4 AP-15s back in June, 3 to run in "Push" on my Koolance 320mm radiator and 1 to run in "Push" on my Swiftech 120mm radiator that was also the exhaust in my HAF 932. They were great for 2 weeks or so, and then I noticed that the fan mounted closest to the front of the case was making a high pitch whine..I am very easily irritated by certain noise, and it messes with my migraine cycles..

I have all 4 fans hooked up to an AeroCool fan controller, and I noticed that when running the fans @ either 7V, or 9V, the noise really couldn't be heard. The minute I spun them up to their full 12V, it was insane. I tried cleaning all the fans, with no change. I switched the connectors on the fan controller thinking one was bad, but only the first fan made the noise. Finally, I plugged the fan into a 3pin MB header to rule out the fan controller, with no luck..I got sick of it and bought a 2 pack that were on sale @ NCIX for $25, and the new one worked like a charm, just like the original three..

Buggar man. Luck of the draw it seems...

I've changed my mind on the AP-14s.
a) I'm spooked by the noise.
b) $57 to send the AP-15s back for RMA (!!).
c) I guess the PL-2s are doing the job...

Unless... Anyone tried undervolting San Ace fans? SP-120s any good? Any other recommendations?

I run my AP-15's between 40-80% most of the time. The only noise I can hear is a low hum and of course the air moving, and I'm pretty sensitive to noise. Even at 100% they have a very pleasant, consistent hum that is the best I've heard of any high performance radiator fan. Maybe you got a bad batch?

Gotta change what I said a little. The AP-14's have are in my GF's pc. With my ear to the back near the radiator exhaust I can definitely hear some odd whine noise coming from one or both (push pull on H50 rad), but when you're sitting normally it's not really noticeable.

I also picked up some cougars that were on sale for $10 each. Going to throw them in my machine to see how they fair.

I'm going to break the bad news to you... there's a chance it might not be the fans. When you pull air through a thin mesh, such as radiators or case grilles, it whistles in the same way you can whistle with a leaf or a piece of paper. While better fans can reduce it, you can't always get rid of it. Try the cougars, they're not bad fans but they may not fix it either.

I've got some 140mm and 120mm Aerocools coming this week for my HAF XB build, anxious to see how they do compared to my AP-13's

I'm going to break the bad news to you... there's a chance it might not be the fans. When you pull air through a thin mesh, such as radiators or case grilles, it whistles in the same way you can whistle with a leaf or a piece of paper. While better fans can reduce it, you can't always get rid of it. Try the cougars, they're not bad fans but they may not fix it either.

I doubt that. I have the same basic setup in my case and there is no such noise. I'm fairly certain it's the fan(s) themselves. It's not really a huge deal though.

The cougars are more for myself to satisfy some curiosity. I'd like to see if I can get my case a little quieter with the same or better CPU temps without "breaking the bank." Not really looking to spend a lot on fans right now.

You could know for sure whether it's the fan or the setup.. just pull the fans out, and power it out of the case (or just hanging off the motherboard). If you hear the whistling still, you'll know for sure.

I use AP14's and they are quite quiet. :)

The first time I put them in, I had to put my ear next to the case just to check if it was running

bad batch maybe?

I run 6@AP-15 full blast 24/7 for the last 3 years, low pitched woosh

You could know for sure whether it's the fan or the setup.. just pull the fans out, and power it out of the case (or just hanging off the motherboard). If you hear the whistling still, you'll know for sure.

Uhh, comparing fan noise by pulling them out of the case completely negates the point of comparing them. Any fan will sound quieter in mid air, its how well the fan isolates its vibration and harmonic resaonance into the case that makes all the difference along with what static pressure and how well the blades move air when there is restriction, wether it be a heatsink, radiator or fan girll

No, no it doesn't. It tells you that if you have a noise while it's attached to the case, that the noise is coming from your case vibrating, which you can easily solve.

Also, your statement is absurd. Putting a high flow fan on a rickety case with thin walls is going to cause vibrations no matter what fan you use.

I suspected my case/rad setup could be causing the noise, but holding the fans in my hand i got a distinctive high pitch hum.

Even if the motor noise (or whatever it is) is amplified through the case, how would I go about getting rid of it? I rubber-washer all the screws...apart from doing that, I'm out of ideas.

And to top it off, the PL-2s don't make such a noise. The only one that makes a humming sound, and only if you put your ear right next to it in a silent room, is the exhaust fan; I suspect the noise is coming from pushing air through the honey-comb grill, as the ones mounted on the rad make no such noise.

I suspected my case/rad setup could be causing the noise, but holding the fans in my hand i got a distinctive high pitch hum.

Even if the motor noise (or whatever it is) is amplified through the case, how would I go about getting rid of it? I rubber-washer all the screws...apart from doing that, I'm out of ideas.

And to top it off, the PL-2s don't make such a noise. The only one that makes a humming sound, and only if you put your ear right next to it in a silent room, is the exhaust fan; I suspect the noise is coming from pushing air through the honey-comb grill, as the ones mounted on the rad make no such noise.

Filter noise is a distinct possibility. I've had a metal set of filters that mt GTs could make howl if at full speed. Did a great job filtering air but very noisy. Filters off quiet GTs

Just plugged one in to triple check.
For all you music lovers, the hum is nearly a tone above middle C. So just slightly flat of a D.

Right, so Cougars, I'll look them up. Any San Ace fans (pun intended) out there?

Back