• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.
33% more 5070's over the Ti.
I was of course right about the supply being split.

No 9070 or XT listed. This means there are likely more of each 50 series on the market than 9070/XT combined. What happened to AMD's huge supply?

View attachment 727355
That list is a guesstimate at best. Quite a few people, including me, do not participate in the hardware surveys on Steam. My current machines would have added to the 5070 ti and 7900 GRE total.
 
I've been informed the new AMD cards aren't being detected by the survey.

TaintedSquirrel Yeah, the Steam survey results seem iffy to me, since RTX 5070 supply really was low at start and the higher priced models don't move, while RX 9000 supply was not that low and they all went fast even for a little higher price concerning the XT model, while AMD itself boasted with successful sales. They will appear on the Steam survey sooner or later, while I can believe the RTX 5000 numbers being submitted as usual.

The current situation in Finland is that entry RTX 5070 models have dropped in price from the MSRP of 689 € to 619 € at the lowest, with Doom: The Dark Ages bundled. It's hard to say how well the cards move, but supply is plenty enough and there doesn't seem to be great hope to sell even solid models like the Asus Prime for the MSRP. Clearly Nvidia has realized this and acted accordingly, as we already saw regarding their own store where they adjusted prices of the few FE models a while ago. This time they didn't evaluate the will to buy correctly on top of their supply issue at the beginning, while AMD's answer was also likely stronger than expected. I'm glad though that this otherwise decent chip is quickly reaching a more fitting price tag.

I don't think at this point and time 12 GB VRAM particularly ruins any GPU, although having a notably more powerful GPU than 5070 with this amount would be hard to fathom, it's just the pricing that got many upset. Nvidia seems to have placed the barrier of 12 GB VRAM at this performance level given how close this card is to the RTX 4070 Ti (12 GB); I don't expect them to release better cards with this amount, though a situation is possible in future generations where some lower end model is able to reach a bit further while having 12 GBs.

What comes to the experience on RTX 5070, I don't have anything notable to write about, just minor driver issues, while some might be on Windows 11. I've been slow to test games, but The Quarry that never worked right on my RX 7800 XT worked as well as this particular game tends to work on one of the earlier Geforce drivers, while The Callisto Protocol had stutter and performance issues on one driver. On the latest driver I cannot comment much yet, I hope the situation only improves. Anybody can mind singular issues here and there I assume, but it gets dubious when issues don't get fixed in months on end or even longer. 😞
 
Last edited:
My hats off to AMD. Their shrewdness finally got them a win in the eyes of the enthusiasts in the good ol' USA. They have people convinced that they outsold Nvidia by strangling every market except for the handful of brick and mortar microcenters in the USA. They got people believing that by selling only a handful of units online and snapping pics of dozens upon dozens of Americans coming out of a few stores with units in hand somehow killed the months of online and physical sales that Nvidia enjoyed uncontested.

Bravo AMD, bravo. Here to hoping next release cycle they capitalize on this new found shrewdness and execute better than the limp Microcenter only release they pulled off this time.

1746228236857.gif
 
ZeroBarrier Well, of course, without trying to calculate any actual numbers from my part, Nvidia indeed sells plenty GPUs in prebuilds and perhaps we should also include the laptop chips, but in any case I don't think the availability of RTX 5000 series has been good enough to outweigh the successful launch of RX 9000 series (sells wise at least). If there was supply in stores, it seemed like the models on shelves were too expensive. This is only the beginning of the generation though, we already witness how the RTX 5070 is becoming a more desirable purchase, so if one feels like the tables are turning between the brands, I wouldn't bet on that.

To me it seems as Nvidia settling on a too high price at first either on purpose due to weak availability (why sell for less small amounts that could get sold for more) and driver issues, so people don't rush on buying and then be appalled by the drivers, or all it was due to misevaluation which can be corrected when supply gets stronger - it's a balancing act in any case, while we should remember that the rumours indeed told there being some manufacturing issues. Now though, AMD doesn't seem to get enough supply to ride on the brief, although notable, success, while the market is steadily being supplied by a wave of Geforces. Hard to say if AMD can improve supply in any way quickly if at all because of the other major customers of the fabs, so for now it's a simple waiting game for Nvidia, adjusting the price till the customer hands out the cash.

In the end, RX 9070 XT kind of product is not a particularly popular buy due to price and it's success depends on the price of the arguably overall better product RTX 5070 Ti, so if Nvidia doesn't change price, I guess AMD can just keep selling them out in peace till the moment of descending demand, so stock status may remain in red for quite a long. The price difference between these two competing products is big enough for some to keep waiting for the Radeon instead of going for an available RTX 5070 Ti, which yet though exist in very low numbers.

I don't see like handing AMD the honour of early success is misinterpreted, nor it changes too much the overall picture. Enough for the slight offtopic for my part now...
 
Last edited:
Ended up picking up an MSI 5070 Gaming Trio the other day to tinker with. My addiction to video cards continues I guess..lol. Will have some time tomorrow to mess around with it, so it should be interesting.
 
Ended up picking up an MSI 5070 Gaming Trio the other day to tinker with. My addiction to video cards continues I guess..lol. Will have some time tomorrow to mess around with it, so it should be interesting.
Why a 5070? Judging from your sig you already have a 5090 and a 5080. IMHO one of each is more fun that 3 NV cards. I'd go for the trifecta - 5090, 9070XT and B580. So far I have the 5090 and B580. Sorry if I'm feeding your addiction.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Niner
like this
Why a 5070? Judging from your sig you already have a 5090 and a 5080. IMHO one of each is more fun that 3 NV cards. I'd go for the trifecta - 5090, 9070XT and B580. So far I have the 5090 and B580. Sorry if I'm feeding your addiction.
Basically just for fun I suppose. I had a 5070 TI that I sold here in the same rig that the 5070 is going into, so it's nothing other than a basic addiction at this point. I thought about an Intel or AMD card, but nothing jumped out to me there and though this machine is a back up machine I need it to function for when I have some buddies over for a LAN party.
 
50 series results for May.
Still no 9070/XT but it does seem like a detection error at this point.

SteamHW_May2.png
 
I saw the RTX 5070 in person today in the store, from MSI, really small card, i.e. pcb, I think it's smaller than my RTX 4070 super.
 
I saw the RTX 5070 in person today in the store, from MSI, really small card, i.e. pcb, I think it's smaller than my RTX 4070 super.
Their MSRP model is a mini dual fan card.
Fine for itx builds or something, but a scam for the price.
 
Their MSRP model is a mini dual fan card.
Fine for itx builds or something, but a scam for the price.
It's an MSI, but I don't know which model, it has two fans and a cooler in the extension of the PCB, this second vent blows out into space.
probably ventus 2X
 
Last edited:
50 series results for May.
Still no 9070/XT but it does seem like a detection error at this point.

View attachment 733099
I think I know the issue. Most people who run onboard graphics leaves it on by default and I will say that I use the onboard for my secondary monitor to keep the AMD clocks idling correctly. The onboard graphics always show as the primary GPU in my computer when running on Radeon. What is really odd is that when I run an Nvidia GPU, the Nvidia always shows as a primary instead of Radeon. I believe ARC shows secondary as well according to my testing.
 
I think I know the issue. Most people who run onboard graphics leaves it on by default and I will say that I use the onboard for my secondary monitor to keep the AMD clocks idling correctly. The onboard graphics always show as the primary GPU in my computer when running on Radeon. What is really odd is that when I run an Nvidia GPU, the Nvidia always shows as a primary instead of Radeon. I believe ARC shows secondary as well according to my testing.
The 9070 appears if you use the expanded view.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/
 
  • Like
Reactions: Niner
like this
Picked up a RTX 5070 from a forum member. Haven't tried it out yet as I'm still gathering parts for the new build. Should be able to get the system running in a roughly three months.
 
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/tuf-gaming/tuf-rtx5070-12g-gaming/

I've been trying to see the price on the Non Over Clock Edition of this 5070 from Asus TUF series. Everywhere I go, the search engine bump me to the Over Clock edition

try searching for the model name "TUF-RTX5070-12G-GAMING"
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Blackwell-Architecture-DisplayPort-TUF-RTX5070-12G-GAMING/dp/B0DYPJW622
that will be $5 paid to kbnetworks via paypal.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I saw that long ago. Amazon makes an error on their listing, take a closer look: The 4 options on those 4 square boxes, all they have is RTX 5070 PRIME or ROG ASTRAL or RTX 5080 TUF OC

the description does NOT match the 4 available options
 
So I picked up an ASUS Prime 5070 from B&H a few weeks back due to drama with my 3080ti meeting an early death. Slapped a water block on it due to... reasons... and went about my business.

Circling back to some light overclocking. Without adding any volts I was able to get over 6k in the Steel Nomad bench. Highest temp I saw during the run was 48c.

Gaming in RDR3, STALKER 2 and GTA 5 enhanced 7680x1440 is smooth as butter. I'll likely pick up Arc raiders as I'm skipping BF6, at least for now.

So far, no "regerts" buying the 5070.

**Updated Screns**
450.3000.png


6075 3dm 5070.png
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: jaffy
like this
^^ One oddity I am noticing is the power draw. With the power limit at +120% and the above core/mem settings I see core voltages (with heavy GPU usage) range from 1.060 to 1.070. But the max peak wattage spike I've seen is about 215w, norm range is much lower 195w to 205w. From what I'm reading these should pull closer to 240w? No stability issues whatsoever up to this point. Just seems odd that an OC'd card would be pulling less wattage than the standard 5070 FE.
 
^^ One oddity I am noticing is the power draw. With the power limit at +120% and the above core/mem settings I see core voltages (with heavy GPU usage) range from 1.060 to 1.070. But the max peak wattage spike I've seen is about 215w, norm range is much lower 195w to 205w. From what I'm reading these should pull closer to 240w? No stability issues whatsoever up to this point. Just seems odd that an OC'd card would be pulling less wattage than the standard 5070 FE.
1. You've got it custom watercooled. Well cooled chips use less power. You said yourself, it doesn't go above 48C. Which is probably the idle temp for most off the shelf 5070. Maybe even warmer, since they all have fan-stop.

2. 50 series seem quite efficient and also temperature sensitive. In example: 5070 TI are 300 watt cards. But, if you watch youtube videos of people using them, they will often run around 250 watts. Only spiking to 300 watts, at times. You seemingly have to go out of your way to press an absolute full, sustained load, to see a 5070 ti stick to 300 watts. This is how MSI can get away with using only 4 or even 3 heatpipes, on their Ventus and Inspire 5070 TI.
Similarly, I've seen plenty of anecdotes from users, saying their 5070 don't really run at 250 watts.

3. The FE 5070 has relatively poor cooling and is loud, to compensate. That means it runs hot, and would likely use more power on average, than a 5070 with better cooling.
 
1. You've got it custom watercooled. Well cooled chips use less power. You said yourself, it doesn't go above 48C. Which is probably the idle temp for most off the shelf 5070. Maybe even warmer, since they all have fan-stop.

2. 50 series seem quite efficient and also temperature sensitive. In example: 5070 TI are 300 watt cards. But, if you watch youtube videos of people using them, they will often run around 250 watts. Only spiking to 300 watts, at times. You seemingly have to go out of your way to press an absolute full, sustained load, to see a 5070 ti stick to 300 watts. This is how MSI can get away with using only 4 or even 3 heatpipes, on their Ventus and Inspire 5070 TI.
Similarly, I've seen plenty of anecdotes from users, saying their 5070 don't really run at 250 watts.

3. The FE 5070 has relatively poor cooling and is loud, to compensate. That means it runs hot, and would likely use more power on average, than a 5070 with better cooling.
I'll take it. Low power and cool.. I like it.

I should stop playing with it but. . . last bump got me "Legendary" for a 5070. Is this like having the fastest lawnmower on the block? :LOL:

475.3000.png


6090a 3dm 5070.png
 
1. You've got it custom watercooled. Well cooled chips use less power. You said yourself, it doesn't go above 48C. Which is probably the idle temp for most off the shelf 5070. Maybe even warmer, since they all have fan-stop.

2. 50 series seem quite efficient and also temperature sensitive. In example: 5070 TI are 300 watt cards. But, if you watch youtube videos of people using them, they will often run around 250 watts. Only spiking to 300 watts, at times. You seemingly have to go out of your way to press an absolute full, sustained load, to see a 5070 ti stick to 300 watts. This is how MSI can get away with using only 4 or even 3 heatpipes, on their Ventus and Inspire 5070 TI.
Similarly, I've seen plenty of anecdotes from users, saying their 5070 don't really run at 250 watts.

3. The FE 5070 has relatively poor cooling and is loud, to compensate. That means it runs hot, and would likely use more power on average, than a 5070 with better cooling.
The 5070 ti will sit in the 290-300 power bracket in several modern games at 4k and 280-300 at 1440P, if you have a fast enough CPU. With a slower CPU you need RT or similar to push it close to the power limit. E.g. a 5800x3d will slightly limit a 5070 ti in a lot of modern games so it doesn't reach max power limit and might sit between 250 and 290 without RT on.
 
Back
Top