Geforce GTX Titan - First Pics & True Specs

Anand Titan Preview:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

Launch price for North America $999! I'm astonished they would price this thing so close to the 690 when it is slower than it.

Availability Feb 25+. And it won't be a limited edition card. So those that want one and are willing to spend the cash will probably be able to get one. Just maybe not right away.

will the fact that it won't be limited edition mean that we can expect price drops in the future?...so the Titan is now what it was always intended to be- the GK110 flagship/high end performance card vs the mainstream GTX 680

Last edited:
will the fact that it won't be limited edition mean that they we can expect price drops in the future?...so the Titan is now what it was always intended to be- the GK110 flagship/high end performance card vs the mainstream GTX 680

Not until something comes in the single gpu arena that is faster than the Titan, and from nVidia that won't happen until at least 2014. Unless AMD shows their cards early and it forces nVidia to lower their price. nVidia is dominating the market right now.

will the fact that it won't be limited edition mean that they we can expect price drops in the future?...so the Titan is now what it was always intended to be- the GK110 flagship/high end performance card vs the mainstream GTX 680

It's a very, very limited part as confirmed by Gibbo on overclockers, a UK retailer. And it's also been confirmed that this was never intended to be a gaming card, but it has been shoehorned into one.

They seem to have done a pretty good job of it too, much better than I was expecting, especially in power use and noise.

Sorry I had to edit, this. Nvidia are saying that it's not a limited part but that it should be available in the same quantities as the 690, this goes against what Gibbo is saying, that numbers are very, very low.

Last edited:
Launch price for North America $999! I'm astonished they would price this thing so close to the 690 when it is slower than it.

It may post slower absolute frame rates, but its single GPU and thus overall better :p

$999 reflects that it is meant as an entry-level compute card too. If money is any object and you're a gamer, wait for the GTX 7xx series coming within a couple of months per rumors ;).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1/2

As compared to the server and high-end workstation market that Tesla carves out, NVIDIA will be targeting the compute side of Titan towards researchers, engineers, developers, and others who need access to (relatively) cheap FP64 performance, and don’t need the scalability or reliability that Tesla brings. To that end Titan essentially stands alone in NVIDIA’s product stack; the next thing next to a FP64-constrained consumer card is the much more expensive Tesla K20.

Zarathustra[H];1039627237 said:
It may post slower absolute frame rates, but its single GPU and thus overall better :p

My 690 just grew longer legs. No reason to give her up for the Titan. I love the SLIAA of my 690. Titan can't do that. ;)

I hope AMD releases a card comparable to Titan soon to lower these ridiculous prices. I understand that Titan has compute capabilities, but the same can be said about the 480, 580 and those were never close to $1000. I guess gamers will wait for the 7xx series, hopefully we can get Titan gaming performance for much much less.

I hope AMD releases a card comparable to Titan soon to lower these ridiculous prices. I understand that Titan has compute capabilities, but the same can be said about the 480, 580 and those were never close to $1000. I guess gamers will wait for the 7xx series, hopefully we can get Titan gaming performance for much much less.

AMD isn't releasing a new GPU until at the earliest 2014, this is old news

nVidia are pretty hopeful Titan is going to be a huge seller. Time will tell. I don't think it will be.

http://www.nvidia.com/titan-graphics-card

First previews go live.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-gk110-review,3438.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_titan_preview_reference,1.html

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/51857-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-6gb-graphics-card-overview/

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/02/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-first-look/1

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-launch-gtx-titan-powerhouse-gpu/

GeForce GTX Titan is designed to be overclocked. NVIDIA received a lot of heat when they started limiting Voltages. Obviously they have done so in order to prevent high RMA rates. For GeForce GTX Titan this changes. At default your card will be locked at a maximum Core voltage of 1.162 mV.

Now read this very carefully, the board partners like MSI, EVGA and others get to decide whether or not you may unlock Voltage control. Inside the NVIDIA driver you can opt to unlock Voltage by agreeing to an EULA. That EULA will try to make you understand that applying higher voltages will decrease the lifespan of the product. So if the GeForce GTX Titan has been built for a theoretical 5 years productivity at 1.162 mV then tweaking the Voltage towards 1.250 mV could (in theory) halve that lifespan. Now here's the good news; unlocking the Voltage will not result in losing your warranty, let me be very clear about that. However, if you have a 2 year warranty and after 3 years the card dies as a result of voltage tweaking and thus the reduced lifespan... that would be the consequence and at your risk.

And that's where this article ends, sorry! Now we'll share the manufacturer suggested retail prices.

EUR 800 Ex VAT
GBP 827 Inc. VAT
USD 999 Inc. VAT

The Titan isn’t worth $600 more than a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition.

index.php

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/nvidia_unleashes_titan2013

It's hitting 80C, 5C hotter than the 690!!

This turd just keeps smelling worse.
The MSRP Price is even higher, runs Hot from the factory. How much OCing can you do if it's already hitting 80C?

$999 USD...it's the new halo product and as such it will sell, no doubt about that, but ouch. That said I'm now very curious as to how close it will skew to the 690 performance-wise.

I thought this was going to be like the 690 which didn't have non reference models??

MSI Lightning Titan. If anything like the 680 lightning will be amazing.

And early previews are already barking at the pricetag! Not surprising.
Yeah, for a grand it should handily beat SLI 680 or 690. Gotta see the actual benches but so far I only see it compared to 1 680
Not impressed so far and have a new love for my 690.

sounds like a nice card for those that can justify the price...for the other 99% this will just be the Lamborghini of graphics cards- great to admire from a distance

Wow are you kidding me? $1000 for the card?....There is no way to accept that price at less performance of a 690 GTX.

O well too bad this card is voltage unlocked.

Wow are you kidding me? $1000 for the card?....There is no way to accept that price at less performance of a 690 GTX.

And its not like we have a ton of games that really push its power. We still won't even when the PS4 and next XBOX come out.

For $1000... maybe I'll... wait forget it. There won't be any cheap GTX 680s in FS/FT now. :(

nVidia are pretty hopeful Titan is going to be a huge seller. Time will tell. I don't think it will be.

I think this thing will sell out near instantly. There are tons of people who know nothing beyond the latest and greatest, and with the smallish availablity they are going to get snatched up regardless of price. Heck, if I had the money to burn I would do it too just because its a very cool card.

I think this thing will sell out near instantly. There are tons of people who know nothing beyond the latest and greatest, and with the smallish availablity they are going to get snatched up regardless of price. Heck, if I had the money to burn I would do it too just because its a very cool card.

Very true, but Nvidia shot down the rumor of only 10k units.

This will be a production card period. It's not some Rare 1 time only card.

So prices will level off eventually. Just like the Nintendo Wii's did back in the day.

From NVIDIA themselves, albeit the numbers are potentially off a couple of percent getting it from a chart to percentages. (2560x1600, max settings)

680 vs. TitanIc - 680 % relative to titanic
metro 2033 61
crysis 3 70
witcher 2 73
max payne 3 70
crysis 3 67
shogun 2 68
ass creed iii 74
bordland2 75
lost planet 2 76
sleeping dogs 68
bf3 69
des ex 66
dirt 3 70
skyrim 69
COD BO2 71
batman 73
starcraft2 64

TITANic vs 680 % lead
metro 2033 164
crysis 3 142
witcher 2 136
max payne 3 143
crysis 3 149
shogun 2 147
ass creed iii 136
bordland2 133
lost planet 2 132
sleeping dogs 148
bf3 145
des ex 151
dirt 3 143
skyrim 144
COD BO2 140
batman 136
starcraft2 157

A 30-60% lead over the 680. Pretty pitiful for the outrageous premium.

A turd for $1000.

I think this thing will sell out near instantly. .

I don't really think so. If it isn't available it will not be because of demand so much as production. Even the 690 when it came out didn't really sell huge that you couldn't get one.

I don't really think so. If it isn't available it will not be because of demand so much as production. Even the 690 when it came out didn't really sell huge that you couldn't get one.

i think you are under estimating people. especially hard forum members haha

personally ? fuck no im not buying one of these for 1000. not when i could grab another 670 and be way more then comfortable.

in fact at 1440p im pretty comfortable now.with just one

That's the sound of wallets closing everywhere. :(

pretty much.... even $800 was rather steep, but was still a consideration for the GTX Titan for me. But $1k? no thanks, I'll stick with what I have.

From NVIDIA themselves, albeit the numbers are potentially off a couple of percent getting it from a chart to percentages. (2560x1600, max settings)

680 vs. TitanIc - 680 % relative to titanic
metro 2033 61
crysis 3 70
witcher 2 73
max payne 3 70
crysis 3 67
shogun 2 68
ass creed iii 74
bordland2 75
lost planet 2 76
sleeping dogs 68
bf3 69
des ex 66
dirt 3 70
skyrim 69
COD BO2 71
batman 73
starcraft2 64

TITANic vs 680 % lead
metro 2033 164
crysis 3 142
witcher 2 136
max payne 3 143
crysis 3 149
shogun 2 147
ass creed iii 136
bordland2 133
lost planet 2 132
sleeping dogs 148
bf3 145
des ex 151
dirt 3 143
skyrim 144
COD BO2 140
batman 136
starcraft2 157

A 30-60% lead over the 680. Pretty pitiful for the outrageous premium.

A turd for $1000.

Stock v. stock.

Titan @ 1176mhz(like guru3d said they got theirs to without any problems ON AIR), it should point a different story. I mean - can you show me a gtx 680 or 7970ghz for that matter that can increase its clocks by 40% roughly on air without any aftermarket mods (like flashing bios or fancy wiring)?

While I do firmly believe that two 7970's, and also my 2x680 lightnings @ 1300+mhz, will provide better raw numbers, I think the Titan will probably be smoother overall for my NVSurround setup. Especially if you have even MORE overclocking headroom when put under water.

Paint me excited. And sure you are paying more money - but its not much more at all than what I got my 680's for. Meh - I will have to see what the actual figures are like before I put my lightnings on sale.

I'm now just hoping we will hear news of 3gb variant coming in the coming months for $699. That would at least be more reasonable for us 2560@60Hz or 1080@120Hz monitor users. Part of the high cost is probably all of that (completely unnecessary for most) VRAM.

Stock v. stock.

Titan @ 1176mhz(like guru3d said they got theirs to without any problems ON AIR), it should point a different story. I mean - can you show me a gtx 680 or 7970ghz for that matter that can increase its clocks by 40% roughly on air without any aftermarket mods (like flashing bios or fancy wiring)?

While I do firmly believe that two 7970's, and also my 2x680 lightnings @ 1300+mhz, will provide better raw numbers, I think the Titan will probably be smoother overall for my NVSurround setup. Especially if you have even MORE overclocking headroom when put under water.

Paint me excited. And sure you are paying more money - but its not much more at all than what I got my 680's for. Meh - I will have to see what the actual figures are like before I put my lightnings on sale.

True.

Remains to be seen just how cherry picked the review samples are, but if the cards that go on sale perform similarly, this card could wind up being really kickass.

If you - like me - have a GTX680 already and are looking at options, you could get a second GTX680 4gb, for ~$530, or sell the existing one and pick up one of these, for a total cost of about $599.

So the Titan is a little more expensive, and probably a little slower than two GTX680's even when fully overclocked, but the experience should be smoother, and with less input lag due to it being a single GPU solution rather than AFR,

I was reading the Hexus review and it stated that this is really looking for a 4K display. Maybe Sharp and Nvidia should do a joint promotion? Buy a $5K display, get a Titan thrown in....

Stock v. stock.

Yeah the OCing may be good, but in the end it's merely a GTX 580 successor! They effectively doubled the price.

As for OCing, the 670's/680's/690's seem to go to say 1200 no problem so about 20%, so OC vs OC it may go 20% further (40%) total. I guess the OCs probably scale better than the 680 too, but it's not like it will be a 40% gain over those numbers, perhaps a 20-25% breakaway difference in some extreme overclocks (680 @1200, Titanic @1150).

My lightning hit ~1400 on air too (35%+ over stock 680) . If they are cherry picked cards, we have to wait for retail to see the true picture, as well as true benchmarks not from NV.

Zarathustra[H];1039627776 said:
True.

Remains to be seen just how cherry picked the review samples are, but if the cards that go on sale perform similarly, this card could wind up being really kickass.

Every generation the reviewers always seem to be able to get better overclocking results. Retails don't overclock as good for this reason. Not until aftermarket and tweaked products roll out.

Wow on the $999 price. I mean, I know that in the audiophile world you have the "diminishing returns" deal, but this is different. Why the hell am I going to spend this much on a card that I pretty much know will be outclassed very soon. The only thing that I can give Nvidia is this - at least this isn't like the 8800 Ultra - where you paid out the ass for a clock bump. But still...

I think the Titan pricing underscores how important it is that AMD/ATi is to the price of computer hardware. There would be no way nVidia would charge $1000 for Titan if AMD had a card ready to compete with it. Sure hope AMD/ATi don't ever go out of business, or decide to abandon the high end graphics market.

I think the Titan pricing underscores how important it is that AMD/ATi is to the price of computer hardware. There would be no way nVidia would charge $1000 for Titan if AMD had a card ready to compete with it. Sure hope AMD/ATi don't ever go out of business, or decide to abandon the high end graphics market.

If AMD leaves the desktop gpu market, either Intel will buy out their gpu division or desktop gaming will die altogether.
No way Nvidia can carry on by itself. Why do you think Intel helps AMD now and then?

Nvidia tech would become stale because there would be nothing to compare it to. People would hold on to cards for years i.e. 8800GTX.

You need two to tango.

Back