Geforce 7800 GTX in stock!

J-M-E said:
WTF This is not a discussion on some whos retarded car is louder, its about video cards....

*ahem*

I just bought 2 6800U's for SLI, I can still return them as I have not opened them yet

What would you guys recommend I do :confused:

My psu can handle anything, a 650 watt PC P&C
Return them.

Get the G70

THis is a no brainer.

Better and cheaper.

Two 6800Us will be faster than a singel 7800, period. But, that being said, I would still return them and simply grab two 7800s.

Brent_Justice said:
3dmark results don't equate to game performance and how a single card will compare to SLI cards in a game

exactly

sli cards are as efficient as a single card.

ATI seems to have hlped the efficientcy with their cross fire but stiill not as good as one.

1 will always be the best.

ray4389 said:
exactly

sli cards are as efficient as a single card.

I don't think that's what Brent is trying to say.....he is referring to absolute performance not relative efficiency.

will nvidia's next gen be faster or slower than two 6800 ultra's in SLI in games?

that is something 3dmark cannot tell you

Brent_Justice said:
you seem confident with your statement
Ooooooo!!! I like it when you say something like that! It makes me think good things, because, surely you have already benched the card and just waiting to release the info :)

Brent_Justice said:
I also concure that 2 6800U will beat a single 7800 GTX. We will all find out tuesday because I believe that is the date when the NDA is lifted.

EDIT: I hope I am wrong with my statement. Also, I wonder if the Shuttle SN25P will handle this bad boy.

If people have to compare 2 Ultras to one GTX then that says a LOT about the GTX.

I'm waiting for the GTX.

Brent_Justice said:

So is there something Nvidia is hiding? The specs simply dont lead me to believe that it can meet the speed of two 6800Us.

Skrying said:
So is there something Nvidia is hiding? The specs simply dont lead me to believe that it can meet the speed of two 6800Us.
Well it does have 24 pipes.

Skrying said:

What specs? All we know is the number of pipes. We know nothing about the ALU/TMU configuration of each pipe and that will affect performance as well.

Skrying said:

The memory bandwidth isn't so high, so that leads me to believe 6800U's in SLI will be faster...but I think certain visual effects will run much better on a 7800GTX like HDR and whatever thier new AA implementation is.

So yeah, 6800U's in SLI will have more raw horsepower...but a 7800GTX should be a lot smoother with the newer effects...

^eMpTy^ said:
The memory bandwidth isn't so high, so that leads me to believe 6800U's in SLI will be faster...but I think certain visual effects will run much better on a 7800GTX like HDR and whatever thier new AA implementation is.

So yeah, 6800U's in SLI will have more raw horsepower...but a 7800GTX should be a lot smoother with the newer effects...

That makes a lot more sense to me.

Which means 2 - 7800GTX's is going to own everything, espically your wallet.

But oh well, you get what you pay for :p

USMC2Hard4U said:
Ooooooo!!! I like it when you say something like that! It makes me think good things, because, surely you have already benched the card and just waiting to release the info :)
Something tells me he'd say the same thing if someone said that they were 100% sure that a single 7800GTX was faster than 6800U SLI...of course, it is interesting and enticing when he shoots down someone saying that 6800U SLI will beat this.

Ether said:
Something tells me he'd say the same thing if someone said that they were 100% sure that a single 7800GTX was faster than 6800U SLI...of course, it is interesting and enticing when he shoots down someone saying that 6800U SLI will beat this.

I know, and that's why its so hard to really believe him!

frankly a 1200mhz-1400mhz card with perhaps dbl the pipes of two 1100mhz(?) cards might just do it with the overhead of ~30%. SLI seems wastefull, no?

~Adam

i still got my money on the ultra being 32 pipes.....
seeing how the R520 is rumered to be 32 pipes.. nvidia still has something up its sleeve...

Will my 6800 ultras Aqua computer waterblocks work on these cards? It looks to me like they have to same memory and core placement, therefore it should work...

Warrior said:
i still got my money on the ultra being 32 pipes.....
seeing how the R520 is rumered to be 32 pipes.. nvidia still has something up its sleeve...
I agree completly. It will have 32 pipes and being clocked higher too.

J-M-E said:
Will my 6800 ultras Aqua computer waterblocks work on these cards? It looks to me like they have to same memory and core placement, therefore it should work...
thats a very good question.. im leaning over to the incompatable side.. but that still is to be reviewed when these cards arrive... good question... there really is no definite answer unless you talk to a guy that has one on water.. he could tell you if the hook up and holes are the same...

Arkanian said:
I also concure that 2 6800U will beat a single 7800 GTX. We will all find out tuesday because I believe that is the date when the NDA is lifted.

EDIT: I hope I am wrong with my statement. Also, I wonder if the Shuttle SN25P will handle this bad boy.

I supect that under conditions of full AA and AF the GTX will out perform the dual 6800 Ultras in certain games

What I dont understand is why people are saying that just cause the core speed of the G70 is faster than the G6, it will be faster...need we bring up Intel v. AMD? Isn't G70 a brand new core?

Regardless, I still cannot wait for this to come out, and definately plan on getting one or even two when they do. Now, if only I can find whether or not the dual PCI-Express 16x slots on the 955x boards will work with two cards and give better performance, i'll be golden

rayman2k2 said:
What I dont understand is why people are saying that just cause the core speed of the G70 is faster than the G6, it will be faster...need we bring up Intel v. AMD? Isn't G70 a brand new core?

Regardless, I still cannot wait for this to come out, and definately plan on getting one or even two when they do. Now, if only I can find whether or not the dual PCI-Express 16x slots on the 955x boards will work with two cards and give better performance, i'll be golden

Uhhhh, its more like the fact that the G70 has 8 more pixel pipelines and 2 (or is it 4) more vertex shader units as to why its faster. The stock speeds being shown for the 7800GTX are only 430Mhz, which is only 30Mhz higher than a 6800U.

I beleive that the 7800GTX will be as fast as 2 - 6800GTs in SLI.

I think that this is good, and really hoping for a 32 Pipe 500Mhz Ultra Version when the R520 is released. :)

I will be waiting for the ultra to see....

jacuzz1 said:
I supect that under conditions of full AA and AF the GTX will out perform the dual 6800 Ultras in certain games
i can agree with this....

man i want to see some fill rates with this card really bad!!..

jacuzz1 said:
What does this mean?
"I predict that sometime between 6:00pm and 9:00 pm tomorrow something will happen to someone somewhere."
I'm probably right, but it's so goddamned vague, that it doesn't mean anything.
Not to mention, I'd think those areas would be the least noticable performance increase due to AA being primarily a memory bandwidth limited feature if the AA sample algorithms are the same. AF is a memory/bandwidth intensive process as well. Expect the greater performance increase in other areas.

USMC2Hard4U said:
I beleive that the 7800GTX will be as fast as 2 - 6800GTs in SLI.

I think that this is good, and really hoping for a 32 Pipe 500Mhz Ultra Version when the R520 is released. :)

I will be waiting for the ultra to see....

I believe the GTX is the "Ultra".

Arklight said:
I believe the GTX is the "Ultra".

It appears there will be no 'ultras' this round (June-July) since there's no need for it due to delay of r520. However, Nvidia is certain to come out with one around Xmas to beat the already released r520. GTX is certainly not Ultra, just the rumored top offering at this time.

hmm it may have been the Ultra at one time then NV got wind of the delayed R520 and rumors of a 32pipe card and are going to do a one to match it ?
GTX is a odd name for NVs top end card as it has been Ultra for some time now and makes me think that THIS WAS the Ultra at some point it time but was lowered a step as to save the Ultra tag for a 32 pipe card in 6months?

After reading a lot of post about the number of pipelines, I have come to a "conclusion".
I would look more at pipe/ALU efficency that the actual number of pipes...
Just like the 12 piped 6800 GO Ultra (12 pipes) can beat the 6800 Ultra (16 pipes)...

Terra - But soon we will all know :)

Terra said:
After reading a lot of post about the number of pipelines, I have come to a "conclusion".
I would look more at pipe/ALU efficency that the actual number of pipes...
Just like the 12 piped 6800 GO Ultra (12 pipes) can beat the 6800 Ultra (16 pipes)...

Terra - But soon we will all know :)

good point but i want to see some benches :D

TehQuick said:
It appears there will be no 'ultras' this round (June-July) since there's no need for it due to delay of r520. However, Nvidia is certain to come out with one around Xmas to beat the already released r520. GTX is certainly not Ultra, just the rumored top offering at this time.

As long as we don't have to Ultra prices for the GT range just because no Ultras are around.

Back