Geekiest Picture of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tell me the first thing that went through your mind when you saw this picture wasn’t “That’s no moon…” as the Star Wars theme played in your head. Well, if it didn’t before, it will now. ;)

Last edited:
i know you guys are tryin to get your clicks up but this is ridiculous :D

is it just me or is that hyperlink just bringing me back to this same page?

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "My God, it's full of stars!"

Wow, I didn't' even read the comment before I saw the picture. I had to read teh comment to figure out that it WASN'T the Death Star. =P

I'm sleep deprived.

All astronomy is black and white. The color pictures are fakes, composites.

[Hmm. I see actually explaining that one is joking is no immunity.]

I expect there are a lot of astrophotographers who would dispute that combining colour-filtered photographs into a single image is fakery.

The Cassini shot is at least as fake, given:
The image was taken with the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera on Nov. 7, 2009 using a spectral filter sensitive to wavelengths of near-infrared light centered at 752 nanometers.

There are prosumer/college observatory grade CCD cameras that do color in one shot. The difference between taking separate pictures through red, green, and blue filters vs taking one with a camera that had alternating red, green, and blue filters over each individual subpixel is fairly arbitrary.

The difference between taking separate pictures through red, green, and blue filters vs taking one with a camera that had alternating red, green, and blue filters over each individual subpixel is fairly arbitrary.

Actually, there's a massive difference in quality between using an astronomy-grade optical filter and some paint that someone put over the CCD in order to take pictures of rosy-cheeked children. To do astronomy research, you need to know the wavelength and dispersion for a filter fairly precisely in order to get useful data. Also, the same sensor density could be increasing your resolution instead of saving you from taking extra images with a different filter - not a complicated decision for an astronomer.

Even for portraiture...the result of the on-CCD filter isn't all that precise. It's what Adobe Lightroom is for, yes?

Back