Gears 3

I never played much MP in Gears 1 or 2, but I played a few matches tonight and it felt good. No noticeable lag, gameplay was fun, and I got the gold guns unlock. I can see myself playing Gears 3 MP quite a bit.

How do you find the MP "stale at times"? Gears has one of the best fleshed out MP modes of any game on the 360.

I've always found the multiplayer of Gears to feel very tacked-on. The game modes are very basic and the whole thing is just "these five guys vs these five guys" with every round playing out practically the same, with the action occurring in the same two spots of the map. Epic tried to sell the Annex mode to death with Annex-specific Achievements but nobody really bothered with it or the other "objective-based" modes - the action was all in Warzone and Execution, and the two were very rinse-and-repeat, even compared to TDM modes of other shooters.

Co-op has always been Gears of War's biggest draw, ever since the original re-popularised co-operative play. I doubt that will change much with Gears 3 even if the MP is better this time around. I also don't see Gears 3's MP standing up against the upcoming onslaught of competitive-shooters like BF3, CODMW3 and Halo CE: Rehash. Sure the die-hards will keep playing but the casual Gears players?

not so much into the TDM modes but we fell in love with King of the hill and Capture the leader during the beta. From Gears 2 multi, they blended Annex and KOTH into one mode, and Guardian and Submission into the other. Our group enjoys CTL the most, as it doesn't completely rely on straight shotgun mastery to win. Always seem to get steamrolled in straight up deathmatch however.

If you didn't play the beta, or the last MP you played was in Gears 2, it's a totally different feel with 3. Same Dodge/Duck/Dip/Dive/Dodge type of play, but it just *feels* better in this one. They really dialed it down a ton, and completely nailed the controls this time. Dedicated servers are a godsend as well

Just started Act 2 of the campaign, and so far the presentation, levels and story telling are top notch.

Just picked it up at KMART. It got glowing reviews and even though the mulitplayer can be stale at times I didn't play the horde mode of the 2nd game.

Best deal by far:

60 dollars for the game
20 dollars off for a future purchase made by 11/05 which will be BF3
and half off a 12 month card of xbox live if rang up in the same transaction. So basically 93 bucks for everything.

Game + 20 dollar off coupon + year of xbox live.

Was that in store or online?

I'm loving SP mode so far. The concept of having 2 parties approach the same situation from different sides was nice. I did get a full-on lock-up when leaving the grocery store, but otherwise no issues.
I figure I'll probably complete SP by the weekend and I'll move on to Horde and Beast Mode.

How do you find the MP "stale at times"? Gears has one of the best fleshed out MP modes of any game on the 360.

I found the 5 on 5 action of the first one to get boring after a while, but I didnt play GOW2 so I dont have a great idea on the Horde Mode etc, but I look forward to playing it.

Was that in store or online?

In store. The coupon I got was for use in store, although people say the coupon is strictly for online use that isn't the case. My coupon states valid for instore game from 9/25 - 11/05 (usable coupon dates).

BF3 comes out in that time frame so fine with me.

not so much into the TDM modes but we fell in love with King of the hill and Capture the leader during the beta. From Gears 2 multi, they blended Annex and KOTH into one mode, and Guardian and Submission into the other. Our group enjoys CTL the most, as it doesn't completely rely on straight shotgun mastery to win. Always seem to get steamrolled in straight up deathmatch however.

If you didn't play the beta, or the last MP you played was in Gears 2, it's a totally different feel with 3. Same Dodge/Duck/Dip/Dive/Dodge type of play, but it just *feels* better in this one. They really dialed it down a ton, and completely nailed the controls this time. Dedicated servers are a godsend as well

Just started Act 2 of the campaign, and so far the presentation, levels and story telling are top notch.

Sounds promising. :cool:

I just started single player, just got out of the stadium and then went to bed. Ill be playing the shit outta multiplay though

It's easy to get if you work retail. I have a friend that worked in a retail store and he got my Resident Evil 5, Gran Turismo 5 and a couple other games a week or so before they came out too. It's crazy how some stores let you check this stuff out at the register without any sort of "don't sell before this date" alarm going off. I know they do it for movies, I guess games aren't as important.

You would have to do daily counts, but most managers at those places are just like "whatever" have fun with the game. People have been fired in the past for giving out the game early when I worked at one of those places although it wasn't our store that was affected.

Still when you are a making a shit wage at most of those places there is no incentive to protect the assets.

I may be up for some coop later tonight T4rd. PM me if you're still playing later.

Sorry, I missed this of I would have PM'd you last night. I started playing around 8 PM Est. and played til almost 1 AM, lol. My friend (another [H] member and friend IRL) stayed with me until about 9:30. If you're going to be on again tonight, just add me and join in if I'm online ;).

So far, about 4-5 hours into the campaign and it's been pretty good so far. As other reviews have echo'd the game play hasn't changed much at all (which isn't a bad thing), but there's a crapload of new enemies. I only thought there would be like 3-4 new ones, but pretty much everything you fight now is new, mostly because the lambents are taking over and their mutations are taking all sorts of crazy forms. A lot of new weapons are in too, but I find myself just sticking to the trusty Lancer most of the time, using the other weapons just to try them out when I find them. The Digger (underground grenade launcher) sounds cool, but hasn't worked well in practice for me.

But so far the game definitely seems worth the launch price. I think I'll be playing it for at least a couple months until BF3 and Uncharted 3 launch. But I'm sure I'll come back to it for Hoard with friends as I did occasionally with Gears 2.

I remember when Gears 2 launched that each copy had a great big dirty DO NOT RELEASE BEFORE THIS DATE! sticker on it. Same with Forza 3.

I remember when Gears 2 launched that each copy had a great big dirty DO NOT RELEASE BEFORE THIS DATE! sticker on it. Same with Forza 3.

Yeah, my Gears3 Epic Edition arrived with a big orange sticker that said "Street Date 9/20/11" or something. I have to say that I'm quite happy I decided to get the Epic edition. The statue is pretty cool (and big!), and the metal Octus service medal is pretty cool.

I just made it to Act II and I have to say that I'm loving it so far. I have been a huge Gears fan since the beginning and so far this is shaping up to be a great game. I have heard great things about the MP modes as well, but I haven't tried them yet.

Just received the game today, anxious to try out Horde mode. BTW, if anyone wants to trade multiplayer skins, I have an extra mechanic Baird that I'd like to trade for something else (already have commando Dom)

Yeah, my Gears3 Epic Edition arrived with a big orange sticker that said "Street Date 9/20/11" or something. I have to say that I'm quite happy I decided to get the Epic edition. The statue is pretty cool (and big!), and the metal Octus service medal is pretty cool.

I just made it to Act II and I have to say that I'm loving it so far. I have been a huge Gears fan since the beginning and so far this is shaping up to be a great game. I have heard great things about the MP modes as well, but I haven't tried them yet.

Where did you get your Epic Edition from? A friend of mine at work pre-ordered from Gamestop, but hasn't gotten it yet. He said a friend of his got it, too, and when he received it the game wasn't even in a case with the artwork; it was just in a CD sleeve. He said if he gets his and it's like that he's taking it back to GS and getting his money back.

Where did you get your Epic Edition from? A friend of mine at work pre-ordered from Gamestop, but hasn't gotten it yet. He said a friend of his got it, too, and when he received it the game wasn't even in a case with the artwork; it was just in a CD sleeve. He said if he gets his and it's like that he's taking it back to GS and getting his money back.

He got it that way because his case was used as a store display. I imagine it was a store that had extra copies of the Epic edition. If I was him I would have refused the game.

This is why you only order new from Amazon.

Hopefully the co-op is as good as it was in the previous games. Plan on picking it up on the way home from work.

Man, I'm so rusty at this game.

Is it just me, or does the default aiming seem REALLY sensitive compared to Gears 1 and 2? It seems like the sensitivity has been upped a lot.

I know you can change it in the options, but I was so used to the default and now I have to try and find my "sweet spot" again to get the aiming right and not be flying all over the screen with it lol.

He got it that way because his case was used as a store display. I imagine it was a store that had extra copies of the Epic edition. If I was him I would have refused the game.

This is why you only order new from Amazon.

If I'm not mistaken he said that he saw on a forum where many others had the same thing happen. I laughed and told him it seemed like an "Epic" fail. He said that is what others were saying. My friend also got the Gears of War 3 console from Best Buy. He said that was missing some kind of unlock code for a character. He said that others had that same problem too. He called Best Buy support and said he waited on the phone for 45 minutes to an hour before someone answered. He said he was told he "might" receive a code.

What's the sound design/quality like compared to the previous games? From the videos the Lancer sounds a bit beefier this time around, which is good.

Yeah I'm hanging out for my copy to arrive in the mail from the other side of the world...

One thing I really like about the design of the game is that the characters no longer look like giant squared off blocks of cement. Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird, etc. now look more human with normal sized arms and legs.
The sound is great, especially if you have a surround setup. When shit hits the fan, my basement sounds like a warzone. Even though it's "only" Dolby 5.1, it sounds better than some PC games using lossless.

One thing I really like about the design of the game is that the characters no longer look like giant squared off blocks of cement. Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird, etc. now look more human with normal sized arms and legs.
The sound is great, especially if you have a surround setup. When shit hits the fan, my basement sounds like a warzone. Even though it's "only" Dolby 5.1, it sounds better than some PC games using lossless.

Can't wait :cool:

As much as I can't stand Bleszinski and as much as Epic annoys me, I do love me some Gears.

What's the sound design/quality like compared to the previous games? From the videos the Lancer sounds a bit beefier this time around, which is good.

Yeah I'm hanging out for my copy to arrive in the mail from the other side of the world...

I agree, they do look considerably different this time. It was weird seeing Dom in just overalls at the beginning, lol. Everyone looks a lot different in the face too except for Marcus and maybe Baird. Cole looks like he's aged 10-15 years instead of just 18 months (I think is when this takes place after Gears 2, can't remember now) for some reason.

Yeah, the sound is damn good, IMO. Though this is the first time I've played a Gears game in my basement hooked up to my Z-5500s (5.1) via optical cable. Surround sound works very well. The Lancer sounds the same to me though, you might be referring to the "Retro Lancer" which does sound a bit different.

Loving this game so far. Playing it co-op with a buddy and it is pretty awesome. Also, it looks great in 3d. Sound is fantastic, the environments more varied and using brighter colors... this is a polished game.

I got mine from Amazon, and the CD case is a little ... different. It's just a clear plastic case with some design on the front, but it's more than just a sleeve. It just doesn't have the normal case art (which I'm sure you could find online, print it on photo paper and put it in the case if you really wanted to).

This picture shows it pretty well on the far left.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/16/gears-of-war-3-limited-and-epic-edition-extras-revealed/

There are also some pics in the unboxing gallery here,

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/13/gears-of-war-3-epic-edition-epic-unboxing-gallery/

I agree, they're all pretty nice to watch. I think the Last Day vid for Gears 2 is my fav though for some reason. I didn't even remember that Gears 1 trailer. I thought that was "Mad World" playing at that scene (don't want to spoil it) in Gears 3, but wasn't sure without the lyrics and the other background noise. I just thought it was interesting they used that song for the first games trailer, but didn't use it in the game until the 3rd installment.

i was never fond of any of the Gears multiplayer modes except horde. i just felt like the movement was weird, the shotgun was overpowered, and that all the different modes felt similar. mantle, shotgun, sprint. i guess you could say that of any multiplayer game, but i never was interested in the competitive multiplayer mode.

i AM very interested in the new horde and hope they have the old version to play too, and beast mode. i always like to finish single player campaign before hitting multiplayer though...

I think the dedicated servers will help gears 3 MP a lot. And Gears 2 was all about Horde and it looks even better in Gears 3. I can't wait to play this weekend.

I decided the Dust to Dust trailer is my favorite atm. I like how it fades between scenes of gears 1, 2, and 3. Plus the song is hauntingly beautiful (Into Dust).

But all the songs they choose I really enjoy; Mad World, How It Ends, Heron Blue, Into Dust.

Last edited:
I think the Mad World trailer for Gears 1 is my favourite, with Last Day and Rendezvous close behind.

Horde mode in Gears 3 is worth the price of admission on its own. Damn good stuff.

I haven't played Gears 3 yet, but I'm betting you're right. The Horde Mode was my favorite multiplayer mode in the second game, and looking at what they've added for the third game I think it'll be tha much better. I like the idea of being able to setup barriers and guns that you can upgrade as the waves progress.

Hopefully I'll finally open up my copy tonight!

Amazon still has the $20 credit on the standard edition if anyone's on the fence. I just ordered mine earlier.

I really wanted to get the LE since I got LE's of 1 and 2 but a) the $20 Amazon credit is only on the regular, and b) the LE went $20 more than regular (whereas with 1 and 2's LE's they were only $10 extra). $10 extra for an LE = no brainer. $20+ extra for a special edition....meh, I'm not really down with that. :eek:

Awesome game so far. Finished the campaign and it's definately the best of the trilogy. Looking forward to some coop on insane and multiplayer.

Absolutely awesome game. I can't even articulate how amazing of a job Epic did on this game.

I love the Gears of War trailers. Epic does a great job with them. I can't decide which one I like the best.

If you go to any youtube links on this game, be warned right now there's a bunch of fucking assholes out there leaving comments on the YT videos spoiling a lot from the campaign mode (major plot type stuff)....of course I saw one of those things earlier and I'm really pissed off about it.

Learn from my mistake.....if you go to anything on YT regarding Gears 3, do not scroll down to the comments. :mad:

I'm now on Chapter 5, and while I've had a blast, I'm starting to get the feeling that they made Gears 3 by doing a round-table of "what setting have we not used yet?" I won't list any of them, you'll see what I mean as you move forward. The plot seems pretty loose, too.
While the difficulty has been moved up a bit, I'd say some of the epic firefights from previous games were harder because when you went down - you died. In this one your team will keep bringing you back...at least on the normal difficulty. I'm also noticing that whenever shit hits the fan, they load you up with tons of weapons, ammo, turrets, etc. so you not only know what's coming, you're ready to rock. The first games had several scenarios where you were constantly getting surrounded and power weapons/ammo were at a premium. So far I haven't gotten that from Gears 3. Most of them feel like a shooting gallery.
Still, those are just my nitpicks. I think Gears 2 felt more "epic" so far, but the graphics and scope of this one are pretty amazing.

I'm now on Chapter 5, and while I've had a blast, I'm starting to get the feeling that they made Gears 3 by doing a round-table of "what setting have we not used yet?" I won't list any of them, you'll see what I mean as you move forward. The plot seems pretty loose, too.
While the difficulty has been moved up a bit, I'd say some of the epic firefights from previous games were harder because when you went down - you died. In this one your team will keep bringing you back...at least on the normal difficulty. I'm also noticing that whenever shit hits the fan, they load you up with tons of weapons, ammo, turrets, etc. so you not only know what's coming, you're ready to rock. The first games had several scenarios where you were constantly getting surrounded and power weapons/ammo were at a premium. So far I haven't gotten that from Gears 3. Most of them feel like a shooting gallery.
Still, those are just my nitpicks. I think Gears 2 felt more "epic" so far, but the graphics and scope of this one are pretty amazing.

Play it on Hardcore. And then play it on Insane. Doing so will make everything seem immediately urgent and extremely hectic. Brings back the "do this or you'll die" feeling from the first two games. I've also found that they don't really give you any more ammo or anything the harder you set the difficulty. So what may seem like a lot on normal definitely doesn't feel that way on Insane.

You'll see what I mean at the end of Chapter V.

Yeah, if figured things would be different on the higher difficulties. Gears 1 wasn't too different as you upped the difficulty (it was always challenging), while Gears 2 was an absolute clusterfuck near the end on Insane.
This one is borderline too easy or normal. I tend to always play through once on normal, but now I'm wishing I'd just jumped straight to hardcore.

As long as you beat it once on Normal I believe you can jump straight to Insane. You're almost there anyway.

Back