Gearing Up for Threadripper 2990WX Cooling

Jeeezus, 1.6 Kilos? :woot: We gonna need some steel reinforcement plates on our mobos for that
All socket TR4 already has that for the most part. TR4 socket is built like a tank. That said, I have not seen any "cheap" x399 boards either.

Man tomorrow needs to get here. I've been going back and fourth on whether I just want to build a custom loop or go air. Wondering if air can even sustain 4.1ghz on the 32 core...

Man tomorrow needs to get here. I've been going back and fourth on whether I just want to build a custom loop or go air. Wondering if air can even sustain 4.1ghz on the 32 core...

Probably not across all cores. but I agree, I'm definitely not going to sleep til the reviews posted.

I wonder whether the Bykski will still perform as close to the XSPC with the 2990WX as it did with the 1950X.

Does [H] have any more tests planned with the Bykski?

Even if it does have over a pound of plastic and fan like you are "betting", I am betting it still has over 2 pounds of metal on it.

Big and purty.

IMG_20180817_182216.jpg IMG_20180817_182218.jpg IMG_20180817_182231_1.jpg IMG_20180817_182233.jpg

You could throw a disco with just the board and cooler...

...the fracking RJ-45 ports light up with RGB :ROFLMAO:

its yuge! that and some custom rgb water cooling and some el cable accent would make a cool tron themed setup.

OMG that is just gigantic. Flat like in the video no worries but in a tower case with the MB mounted vertically. :nailbiting: I'd be worried that beast would take out my whole system one day as I played a VR game. My mind might know that the MB can take it, but my gut just can't reconcile it. lol

OMG that is just gigantic. Flat like in the video no worries but in a tower case with the MB mounted vertically. :nailbiting: I'd be worried that beast would take out my whole system one day as I played a VR game. My mind might know that the MB can take it, but my gut just can't reconcile it. lol

Do they make 420mm AIOs yet?

I'd use that...

Jebus but that thing is a monster! I would be afraid it would hit the 200mm fan I have on the side panel of my HAF XM case :eek:

Nice for those that wanna stay away from Liquid cooling. Glad I am sticking with my liquid cooling. I would like to see how well it performs against Kyle's 420 LCS.

So the torque limiters on both the cooler and socket are built into the screws and or bolts?

One thing I do that you seem to absolutely not do. Is once I've checked the TIM spread and returned the cooler, I smoosh, rock, and turn the cooler. Has this at any time entered your repertoire?

So the torque limiters on both the cooler and socket are built into the screws and or bolts?

One thing I do that you seem to absolutely not do. Is once I've checked the TIM spread and returned the cooler, I smoosh, rock, and turn the cooler. Has this at any time entered your repertoire?
The supplied tool is a torque wrench. It has a set to click over at 13.3lb-ft of force applied. Once the wrench clicks, it is as tight as it needs to be.

The pushing and turning etc. is not needed, or even a good idea IMO. Let the hold-downs do their work. Once you start putting heat to the CPU, the TIM will flow where it needs to go. Rocking and pushing and turning is likely going to flow the TIM where it does not need to be. Again, just my 2 cents, you may need change.

Kyle,when are you going to test that silver arrow tr4 cooler? I cant stop drooling over it :X3:

Kyle you should open a parts shop man.
One online reviewer I personally knew would ebay the equipment sent to him by vendors. His agreement with them is that he gets to keep anything he reviews. Of course his site was his income as well so it made sense for him to do that. He has since closed up shop do to lack of traffic / traffic (he had a good 15 year run though :D ). Also I suspect he just got tired of doing it decided to get a better paying job & focus on his wife & kids.

Kyle you should open a parts shop man.
We do not sell parts that given to us for review, ever. All of our editors know this as well. Doing so is grounds for termination. That said, if we bought it, we will surely sell it to get back some of our expense.

This is the last cleaning house we did a year ago. Not one penny was charged for anything there. Heck, there were some vintage GPUs there now selling on ebay for thousands...

IMG_20170610_092007.jpg IMG_20170610_092047.jpg

So, what do you do with all that stuff and how do you manage to keep in business? Strictly advertising and Patreon donations?
We gave all that old testing equipment away to readers. We usually promote this in the GenMay subscription forum.

Our business model rests on advertising, commission sales through Amazon, and lastly Patreon.

That's actually pretty neat. Had you considered getting copper coil from hd/lowe's (or local supply) and using a couple hardline fittings instead? Downside of that would be corrosion I guess...
Yes I did. Spool size was too big for easy assembly and I was not looking to spend a lot of time on getting it up and running.

Back