Gateway LT3103u Netbook

just wanted everyone to know that i am running on tl-52 (dual core) undervolt with crystalcpuid to .8v and at 1.2ghz everything is fine and dandy.

i am looking for extreme mod, eventually want to drill holes in the housing and attach copper H/S to the northbridge and cpu. If i can think it, I can't be the only one out there that's looking to do this....

so i just got one of these from Woot.com for 269$ and formatted it and put on windows 7 64bit, everything is great but i need the ati x1270 drivers. . .

Thx guys( i bought it because of this thread)

so i just got one of these from Woot.com for 269$ and formatted it and put on windows 7 64bit, everything is great but i need the ati x1270 drivers. . .

Thx guys( i bought it because of this thread)

Just do a windows update and it will download the drivers.

the original windows vista that comes with the lt3103 has a utility to make a drivers install disc, and a windows vista reinstall disc did you make them before you reformatted

Instead of creating a new thread, I figured I'd just update this one. I just dropped a tl-50 into my lt3103u. Running at 48c at idle and just a little heat on load getting up into the 60s. Well within the safe zone for a turion.

Got it on ebay for $9 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...965873&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3255wt_911 That's the page I bought it from. I would be wary from buying from that guy again though. I got the cpu with some bent pins and it took me about an hour to straighten them out with a sewing needle. It's working fine now though. I'd recommend anyone doing this to drop the speed to 1.45GHz and the voltage to .975v. This is what I did and it keeps temps well in check and still provides plenty of speed.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
okay so I bought a TL-50 any pictorials/ DIY on how to make it work PROPERLY.

also any info on the right 4gb of ram for the netbook too

Thx guys

I just upgraded my LT3103u to a TL-52.

The TL 52 is definitely push'n the limits of this notebook. You kinda have to bootstrap the notebook to get it to boot - unplugging the power cable during boot did this for me, once its running and booted to the desktop, the proc speed and voltage is set, plug it back in.

Before you install the proc, make sure you're ready with the shortcut placed in the startup folder and Vista UAC is diasbled.

Here's the shortcut for 1.2Ghz @ .9v - its a good starting place for voltage and frequency:
CrystalCPUID.exe /F4 /V26 /P1 /E

.85v @ 1.2Ghz is what I have it set to now. .8V @ 1.2 GHz did not work for me.

Make sure you keep track of all the lil screws when you're taking it apart. The different lengths can be a lil tricky.

This is a great upgrade for this notebook - 1.2Ghz, dual core, 1M L2 Cache. Its like a new notebook. Play's 720p HD video no problem now(previously, the notebook would totally choke on HD content) 'Performance is niiiice.

I'm thinking of getting a TL-52 for my netbook, just got it back and wanted to upgrade it.

What exactly did you have to do to make the 52 work? I'm guessing it wasn't just plug n play from reading your post.

I'm thinking of getting a TL-52 for my netbook, just got it back and wanted to upgrade it.

What exactly did you have to do to make the 52 work? I'm guessing it wasn't just plug n play from reading your post.

Well it was plug and play, its just the notebook would boot to the desktop, then lock up after a minute or so. So the trick is getting it de-clocked before that happens. Thus, you set up a shortcut to Crystal CPU with the appropriate flags(in my previous post) in the startup folder.

ah ok i gotcha

I was looking at the TL-50 but the 52 has double the cache

I saw the 52 was pretty cheap, did you get it on ebay?

ah ok i gotcha

I was looking at the TL-50 but the 52 has double the cache

I saw the 52 was pretty cheap, did you get it on ebay?

Yeah, I thought, "hmm... double the cache"? I'll take that. ;-)

I got it through ebay from 'Bestpotdeals'(I have no idea what that's about heh.)

I paid a whole... wait for it.... seven dollars and ninety nine cents for it. Add two dollars for shipping and it set me back a whopping ten bucks. lol

It shipped out the day or day after I ordered it. And now I'm typing away this reply with it. :)

I found one for $5.74 shipped lol

Here

Can't really go wrong with trying it. Does it stay cool?

Here's the big fat data DUMP... This was taken during and after a while of matroska 720p playback... also downloading in steam. The processor stays below 60c. I think the fan kicks into "HI" at 62C, but im not 100% sure. It doesnt kick into 'HI" at 60c, so...

very nice compilation, answered the next few questions lol

much appreciated

the crystalCPUID shortcut you made, is that just a shortcut and add the /F1 etc on the target line?

very nice compilation, answered the next few questions lol

much appreciated

the crystalCPUID shortcut you made, is that just a shortcut and add the /F1 etc on the target line?

yeah, create Crystal CPUID shortcut with those flags at the end. you could test it w your existing hardware to make sure it executes correctly. if anything, its just gonna lock ur rig.

btw, steam is eating up between 8-17% of proc @ 1.8MB download. thus, the HD video is about 60%.

well thanks for your input, I went ahead and bought it

should be here in a few days!

I benched the LT3103u because it had problems with video playback. I gave it to my mom then bought an M11x, which I in turn traded for an M15x. Mom wanted a PC so I used old parts and built her a PC to do e-mail etc on and got the netbook back today so I was seeing what I could do to make it a tolerable travel netbook.

Much appreciated for your help

well thanks for your input, I went ahead and bought it

should be here in a few days!

I benched the LT3103u because it had problems with video playback. I gave it to my mom then bought an M11x, which I in turn traded for an M15x. Mom wanted a PC so I used old parts and built her a PC to do e-mail etc on and got the netbook back today so I was seeing what I could do to make it a tolerable travel netbook.

Much appreciated for your help

you're welcome. :)

I see... The TL-52 makes the lil guy a nice lil notebook. We were watch'n Star Trek last night on my gf's notebook and had to play it on my notebbook cuz hers wasnt PHAT enough. haha.

Its too bad we couldnt upgrade the video like the CPU.

I ran it as high as 7 x .9v(stably) but keep it at 6 x .85 to keep temps down. 1.4Ghz pushed the temp and i didnt want to test the upper limits.

Got it on ebay for $9 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...965873&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3255wt_911 That's the page I bought it from. I would be wary from buying from that guy again though. I got the cpu with some bent pins and it took me about an hour to straighten them out with a sewing needle. It's working fine now though. I'd recommend anyone doing this to drop the speed to 1.45GHz and the voltage to .975v. This is what I did and it keeps temps well in check and still provides plenty of speed.
Do you mind sharing on how easy it was to install this in your netbook? And can you post a shortcut that you used for CrystalCPUID? Just got a TL-50 off of Ebay....

Help please!! I just installed the tl-50 (amd turion 64 x2) into my netbook and everything is dont but when i hit the power button it only lights up for a second and then the light turns off, the fan never goes on and there is no other noise.

I re installed the stock processor and it boots and runs fine.
Any ideas guys while i still have the netbook apart?

Thx

I have this crystalcpdid program and played with it some but i cant get the computer to even boot up to run the program(with the new tl 50 processor). . . Any ideas guys? ( the computer works fine with the Old stock CPU)

Last edited:
i installed the tl - 50 and it wont boot up, i installed the stock cpu back in and it will boot up fine. . .
with the Tl-50 installed i tried unplugging it, setting the power management setting to max battery( 50% cpu on battery) and nothing made it boot.

what should i do to make this work?

@Ha11ster

Maybe I'm retarded or something, but the TL-52 came in, I put it in, plugged everything together, and I couldn't get it to boot like the other guy

I tried the power drain then plug in + battery, power up, monitor doesn't even turn on. Only the fan starts running

yep mine is just like that fan spins for a few seconds then the turnon switch light goes out

I did not read anyone doing what I do...

Environment:
Battery fully charged
TL-52 processor
Notebook power provided by battery power(Not plugged in)

Turn on PC.

Boot to Windoze desktop, immediately reduce multiplier and voltage

Okay My Environment:
battery fully charged
tl-50 processor
Notebook power provided by battery only (not plugged in)

Wont Turn on
since it wont turn on it wont boot to Windows so i cant reduce the multiplier and voltage

Okay My Environment:
battery fully charged
tl-50 processor
Notebook power provided by battery only (not plugged in)

Wont Turn on
since it wont turn on it wont boot to Windows so i cant reduce the multiplier and voltage

Wow, and you have the TL-50. That one should work. Hmm... Gonnna check something. bb

Sorry I didn't see the updates to this thread sooner. But, from what I have read, there are two different versions of this netbook that have different tendencies to work with different options like cpu, memory and overclocking through fsb. The following link is to a subforum of the gateway forums. It is dedicated specifically to the lt3103u. It's full of great information, and hopefully you guys can find some answers there. Unfortunately, short of what has already been mentioned, I don't have any advice I can give you.

http://www.gatewaynetbooks.com/index.php/forums/11-hacks

Yeah I've tried all kinds of ways to start it up.

I've even removed all the things I didn't need like the wifi card hoping to make the laptop use less power but no luck

When I did the swap in one of the ones I had, I had to make sure that the laptop had been sitting turned off for a good while to make sure there was no heat in the cpu, and then it would run long enough for me to get into windows and throttle it down. Not sure what else I can tell you. What I have found is that the TK-42 is the only cpu that seems to work on a regular basis in this netbook. I have only seen stories of successful swaps with this cpu. Other's it seems to be hit or miss.

i'm sad that the TL-52 wouldn't boot up no matter what after going 6 hours

but i'm also not too sad since it only cost me $5 shipped lol

I would like to build a cooling system for one of these... does anyone have one that they would let me mess with? maybe someone in the Kansas City area? I think I could build a triple heatpipe setup for it... that should move some heat...

from the looks of it the single heat pipe barely cools the single 1.2GHz cpu... and even the tk-42 and similar low clocked duals are lucky to run...

Back