• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gateway LT3103u Netbook

I would definitely get it from a local Best Buy. In fact, that's the major advantage Best Buy has from any other retailer; since, its a bit PITA if you have issues with one when buying online or from a store that's not close to you.
 
Not trying to take this off topic but: Do all Best Buy's honor their warranty and all? I'm at an internship for the summer and want to buy it but would like to be able to use the BB back home for warranty stuff if necessary.
 
Yes, they do. I know, because I have used their warranty regularly; even their extended warranty. One time, they didnt have the same model I had of a TV after one year of owning it, so they replaced it with a brand new, newer model version of the TV!

Not trying to take this off topic but: Do all Best Buy's honor their warranty and all? I'm at an internship for the summer and want to buy it but would like to be able to use the BB back home for warranty stuff if necessary.
 
Bringing an old thread up, sorry, but I had a couple of questions maybe a few more people have gotten their hands on one of these. I had gotten one and installed win7 64bit on it and it runs great. I am looking to possibly do a few minor upgrades for shits and giggles.

Does this support 4GB of ram for sure? Also has anyone confirmed that the wireless n card would work on this? Any other upgrades besides the processor one that is listed earlier in the thread?

thanks!
 
Where did you find the ram to upgrade to 4GBs? Where did you find a wireless N card? I havent been able to find any half-height mini-PCI cards anywhere other than plain 802.11G. Im looking for something with builtin bluetooth or even Sprint EVDO broadband.

Bringing an old thread up, sorry, but I had a couple of questions maybe a few more people have gotten their hands on one of these. I had gotten one and installed win7 64bit on it and it runs great. I am looking to possibly do a few minor upgrades for shits and giggles.

Does this support 4GB of ram for sure? Also has anyone confirmed that the wireless n card would work on this? Any other upgrades besides the processor one that is listed earlier in the thread?

thanks!
 
X1270 does not have h.264 decode. That's a deal-breaker for me. This makes the 4500MHD the superior chip IMO.
 
since this doesn't come with the 4500MHD i guess your decision is made. I don't know what h.264 decoding has to do with this netbook though.
 
since this doesn't come with the 4500MHD i guess your decision is made. I don't know what h.264 decoding has to do with this netbook though.

ehh, I want to play h.264 video on my ultraportable? What else can you do with h.264 decoding?
 
I just picked one of these up yesterday and am enjoying it so far. Still not used to the size of the keyboard, but it's definitely more manageable than what the smaller netbooks offer. Now, if I didn't already have another "real" laptop (my gaming FX one), then I would've looked at something a little larger and more powerful. As an extra, more portable PC, it fits the bill.
 
I'm going to pick up one of these later this week.

Tempted to put in a x2, but not sure if I should risk it.
 
Got mine Saturday, I love the portability. I already ordered a 2 Gig CAS3 266/533 memory stick as the default memory clock is at 239 and CAS5. My stock wireless card does Draft n 1T2R or 150 Mbs connection fine. Setfsb seems to be ok at 250 from stock 200 but I am happier at 222 and that gives memory at 266 MHz so this should be ultra stable. With the Cas3 memory it should run pretty snappy too.

Already loaded the recent synaptics driver and did a merge from my P-7805u to disable the toughpad with the mouse plugged in.
 
Bought mine last week and I am attempting to put it into a zeroshock III 12in case tomorrow when it arrives, I know some people were looking for well fitting sleeves, ill let you know how well it fits.
 
I'm going to pick up one of these later this week.

Tempted to put in a x2, but not sure if I should risk it.

i bought one and tried to put an X2 in it last weekend....

laptop kept overheating and would shut down like 60 seconds after I'd turn it on....

bleh, ah well, the girlfriend likes it just fine with the single core proc in it, so I guess i can't complain too much....

but, just an FYI, unless you're really aggressive with RMClock, and wont be spending too much time outside of windows with it enabled, the X2 really is a no-go
 
Just got the 2 Gig Cas 3 stick in. Runs at Cas 3, overclocks to 290, but run it at 280, Command Rate 1T. You can tell the difference without a doubt.
 
Got mine Saturday, I love the portability. I already ordered a 2 Gig CAS3 266/533 memory stick as the default memory clock is at 239 and CAS5. My stock wireless card does Draft n 1T2R or 150 Mbs connection fine. Setfsb seems to be ok at 250 from stock 200 but I am happier at 222 and that gives memory at 266 MHz so this should be ultra stable. With the Cas3 memory it should run pretty snappy too.

Already loaded the recent synaptics driver and did a merge from my P-7805u to disable the toughpad with the mouse plugged in.

Would you care to share the model of RAM you installed?

TIA
 
I picked one of these up yesterday. I'll post pictures and whatnot in a bit.

I was on the verge of picking up the Toshiba NB205 or the Acer 1005HA, but decided on this netbook due to this thread. I'm very glad I did. The screen is very, very usable, and it seems quite capable. I was thinking I'd have to make several concessions in getting a netbook for school, but I don't really have any qualms with this device. My biggest would have to be the fan. It might be a tad loud in a quiet classroom in which only 2-3 other people are using laptops. I'll just have to make sure I've got only Microsoft OneNote open, it's only noticeable when multitasking or doing something that's especially taxing.

I didn't care for the keyboard as much as some of the other netbooks there when I was trying it out in the store. While the keys are huge, there's not much to differentiate between them, very little space and they're all level with one another. After having a bit of time to get used to it, though, it's obvious that it'll be easier to use in the long run. Just have to get used to the spacing/positioning of the keys and it's all good.

I got in on the ACM MSDN AA deal and now have four copies of Win7 Professional. Going to put on on this device, but not sure what I need to do regarding drivers. I don't have a USB optical drive to make the drivers/utilities disk. Is Win7 able to find all of the drivers? Are they available elsewhere? I've read of people having troubles with the wireless card/webcam.

Is all functionality preserved in Win7? Do gestures still work? The function keys?

Also, which cases are you guys using for this thing? Looks like most 12" laptop sleeves would work? I also need to get a new mouse . . . The Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX looks like an amazing pair with this device. A tiny usb dongle that'd never have to be removed that also effectively adds bluetooth to the device? Yes please. Although still too expensive for me to bite. It'll probably be a long while before they go on sale/have mail-in rebates, too. :(

But, the real question is! Can it play World of Warcraft!?


/sarcasm

Apparently, yes. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRpfq6SmGCE
 
i picked one of these guys up today on my way to work. i've got it updating right now. so far, so good. vista basic is running alright so far, but i might end up replacing it with win7.

it'd be awesome if a few more of you guys who have the LT3103u would chime in with cases/sleeves that you've found that work/don't work for the device. thx.
 
The netbook case BB has from targus is fine. I went slightly larger with a 14" case. I highly suggest Windows 7 and if you don't mind an extra 30 or so the 2 gig cas3 Kinston stick from NewEgg.
 
The netbook case BB has from targus is fine. I went slightly larger with a 14" case. I highly suggest Windows 7 and if you don't mind an extra 30 or so the 2 gig cas3 Kinston stick from NewEgg.

ah, right on. i've been pretty content with vista, and i don't have any desire to run an RC that I have to replace, so i'll probably just wait until next month (assuming a timely release of win7) and get licenses for all my machines at once.

i ordered the kingston memory last night on amazon, should be here tuesday.
 
So, I picked this thing up last weekend. Pretty impressed for my first netbook.

My biggest complaints are on the keyboard and battery, The Keyboard is very stylish looking, but it takes time getting used to. And the battery only seems to last about 4 hours for me, just browsing the web and listening to music.
 
ah, right on. i've been pretty content with vista, and i don't have any desire to run an RC that I have to replace, so i'll probably just wait until next month (assuming a timely release of win7) and get licenses for all my machines at once.

i ordered the kingston memory last night on amazon, should be here tuesday.

I didn't see the stick over at Amazon, at newegg it is this stick;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104100
 
I didn't see the stick over at Amazon, at newegg it is this stick;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104100

Do you know how much the faster memory improves the speed of this computer. I own the LT gateway and Im curious if this upgrade is worth it. Ive read that it will help the ATI graphics chip in the computer. Im wondering if anyone could give me some before and after benchmarks like of 3dmark01 or something ?

Thanks alot
 
What has this world come too? no one just takes your word anymore...... :) So here are some numbers too look at and see the improvements................

Windows 7, 3DMark 2001SE, Set FSB 240 to run CPU @ 1.4 GHz, memory @ 280 Mhz
Both benchmarks right after boot once the system settled down..........

Cas3

RESULTS
3DMark Score 3703
Game 1 - Car Chase - Low Detail 37.0 fps
Game 1 - Car Chase - High Detail 17.6 fps
Game 2 - Dragothic - Low Detail 60.8 fps
Game 2 - Dragothic - High Detail 29.9 fps
Game 3 - Lobby - Low Detail 61.4 fps
Game 3 - Lobby - High Detail 31.4 fps
Game 4 - Nature 26.6 fps
Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 467.4 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 968.5 MTexels/s
High Polygon Count (1 Light) 9.5 MTriangles/s
High Polygon Count (8 Lights) 1.8 MTriangles/s
Environment Bump Mapping 108.9 fps
DOT3 Bump Mapping 54.5 fps
Vertex Shader 47.0 fps
Pixel Shader 96.9 fps
Advanced Pixel Shader 34.2 fps
Point Sprites 7.4 MSprites/s


Cas 5

RESULTS
3DMark Score 3301
Game 1 - Car Chase - Low Detail 34.0 fps
Game 1 - Car Chase - High Detail 16.2 fps
Game 2 - Dragothic - Low Detail 54.1 fps
Game 2 - Dragothic - High Detail 26.7 fps
Game 3 - Lobby - Low Detail 53.6 fps
Game 3 - Lobby - High Detail 27.9 fps
Game 4 - Nature 23.4 fps
Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 436.5 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 985.0 MTexels/s
High Polygon Count (1 Light) 9.1 MTriangles/s
High Polygon Count (8 Lights) 1.7 MTriangles/s
Environment Bump Mapping 94.8 fps
DOT3 Bump Mapping 49.3 fps
Vertex Shader 45.4 fps
Pixel Shader 88.9 fps
Advanced Pixel Shader 32.0 fps
Point Sprites 6.6 MSprites/s

So how is that for under $30.....................
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
while the improvement in ram speed, makes some difference in synthetic benchmark tests. Don't expect any big jump in improvement when it comes to real world applications. That is an 8 year old synthetic benchmark test, I don't really think it can give you any real scale on how it would affect its gaming capability.

I have tried running this using Warcraft III Frozen Throne, DotA which is less demanding than normal play, and I can tell you that you still have to tone down the resolution and effects to have it run fluidly.

In terms of real performance, I found that the only thing that really makes a netbook feel 'faster' is a SSD. Which will also improve battery life as well. I guess what it comes down to is, is it worth putting a SSD on such an under powered system to improve its performance :p
 
It is not meant to show gaming capability, far from it. I only ran this as people wanted proof, well here it is.................
 
while the improvement in ram speed, makes some difference in synthetic benchmark tests. Don't expect any big jump in improvement when it comes to real world applications. That is an 8 year old synthetic benchmark test, I don't really think it can give you any real scale on how it would affect its gaming capability.

I have tried running this using Warcraft III Frozen Throne, DotA which is less demanding than normal play, and I can tell you that you still have to tone down the resolution and effects to have it run fluidly.

In terms of real performance, I found that the only thing that really makes a netbook feel 'faster' is a SSD. Which will also improve battery life as well. I guess what it comes down to is, is it worth putting a SSD on such an under powered system to improve its performance :p

Dota is actually the SINGLE game I would really like to be able to play with some fluidity.
What are your game quality setting set at, and resolution. Also about how many fps do you think you are getting ?

Also what would be the best SSD for this netbook if 60 gb was all the more space you needed ? Do they even make performance speed SSD any smaller than like 60 ?
 
To have to run fluidly I ran it some weird custom resolution which I had to do via registry editing. I don't recall at the top of my head. I had everything at low as well.

In terms of gaming capability for a netbook, it is definitely better than the intel GMA950. But the problem is the native resolution in comparison to most GMA950 netbooks is a lot sharper.

So in terms of the "look", if you played DotA on say... an Asus 1000HE and then the Gateway LT, it will very much look the same. Even though the Gateway will run at a higher resolution (i think i had DotA running at 1067x600 resolution), it looks just as crappy as when I run it on an Asus netbook (which i run dota at 820x480). Now if the native resolution was like other netbooks (1024x600), then i'd venture to guess that DotA would look great with the gateway. I don't run FRAPS on my netbook to check the FPS because (sadly) it will hog the performance and will give you an inaccurate FPS. But at the resolutions I mentioned, it was fluid enough to play. Usually in big battles inside a base (where there are a ton of creeps... like the kind you get during the end of a game) then I think it drops to around 18-22 fps

The best SSD? that is a hard call, the problem is that the chipset will hinder most (if not all) SSDs, at least in terms of read/write.

I personally am using a OCZ vertex 30gb on my 1008ha. The performance of the OCZ vertex is identical to my girlfriend's netbook (msi wind u100) which is using a Patriot V2 32gb SSD. The only real difference I see between the two was in XP. When I ran the Patriot V2 under XP, I would experience stuttering (even after applying all tweaks), because it uses the jmicron controller. The stuttering wasn't really as bad as I thought (split second usually), but it was common if you tried to multitask and all the temporary files go to the ssd.

I found the best way to remedy the issue was using a portion of RAM as a small drive (roughly 256mb) and have the temporary files (like web files & etc) be written there. Under windows 7, the stuttering is non-existant. Is it "fixed" via these tweaks? i doubt it, I'm sure I can enduce a stutter if i tried, but you don't really do much multitasking with a netbook.

With the vertex, you don't have to apply any tweaks to get smooth performance. i do these tweaks anyway to preserve as much writes as possible since SSD are limited in how many times they can be written into (and yet I know that I will probably not reach that limit, but I figure I might as well preserve them if I can).

The difference is I got the Patriot V2 32gb for $45, while I spent $85 for my vertex 30gb. What it comes down to is how much do you really want to spend to improve the performance of a netbook before it defeats the purpose of buying a netbook, which is the low price.

If you really require a netbook that can game, I would really wait for the ion netbooks to come out, and if you can't wait then I'd just go with the Asus N10j. That will play DotA easily without any compromises.
 
Last edited:
It sounds like most of you have the Gateway LT3103u, so I thought I'd post some pictures of my LT3114u. Same specs and whatnot, just a different color.

I purchased this netbook about five days ago because I really needed something portable for school, and also needed a printer. Best Buy's having a combo deal on printers and laptops, and I took advantage of it. I got the Canon MP 620B (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9168811&st=canon+620b&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218041995464) for $150-$50 sale-$60 combo deal = $40. I was definitely excited about that. It can be seen in this pic below of my overall setup after my trip to Best Buy. Try to ignore the wires in the back, was moving a few things to get the printer hooked up.

3882207363_6d8c77ab72_o.jpg


I've got a lot of stuff on the desk these days . . . happily it has the room to accommodate, though I'd like to get some shelves to reduce the clutter.

3882192275_e8f6f81cf2_o.jpg


This is the case I'm using. It's the 12" Targus Slipskin from Best Buy.

3882986376_b576cb2395_o.jpg


It's well-constructed and pretty stylish. A very nice match.

3882192331_3f8acdb214_o.jpg


As you can see, it's a beautiful fit. I imagine Best Buy stocks this case specifically for the LT3103/3114. I like the protective tubing that surrounds the zipper when the case is closed. There's very little chance of the zipper scratching whatever is inside.

3882986588_be727b016a_o.jpg


The only downside to this case is that it picks up lint really easily. I imagine I'll be using a lint roller on it from time to time before heading out.

3882986620_c73c046e3f_o.jpg


I had a hard time finding pictures of the red 'in the wild' after I purchased it. All of the review models were the 3103, and indeed, that's what I had intended to purchase. Being a university town with two huge schools that started that week, however, my Best Buy was out of stock of almost all netbooks (and their entire netbook sleeve rack was empty, haha -- I had to drive about an hour to another store for that).

On impulse, I purchased the red with the intent to return it later next week when they got the black back in (so that I could take advantage of the great price on the printer). But the red started to grow on me, and I got a bit of gadget fever and just opened it. I'm really happy with my decision. The red doesn't show fingerprints very badly, and looks great. Plus, it's cool pulling it out in class among all of the other black netbooks. It gets a lot of looks. Also, I think the buckle/latch looks a lot better with the red. It stands out a bit too much for my liking on the black.

3882192561_6de206c26d_o.jpg


Pretty sleek looking, and again, fingerprints only show up on the red casing in harsh light. One thing to note, a normally sized SD card sticks out of the port about 1mm. It's not going to get caught on anything, but note that it'll be slightly visible if you've got a pink SD card or something. In this picture, I've got the dummy card inserted.

3882986806_f66a24309f_o.jpg


Fingerprints will show up on the black bezel. Wiping dust or lint off of the bezel or screen will be very apparent if in harsh lighting. Might want to keep a microfiber around just in case. And, obviously, the screen is very glossy. The screen is so bright, however, that it's really not much of an issue, even when outside. Unless you've got the brightness turned down quite a bit, the LED-backlit display powers through reflection pretty well.

3882192699_c65e1b6371_o.jpg


I really wasn't a big fan of the keyboard in the store. As I mentioned in my previous post, it was hard to distinguish between keys; much more so than the chicklet-style keyboards. After having a few days to get used to it, though, it's wonderful to type on. The large keys and conventional positioning make all of the difference.

3882192743_8986cfcf18_o.jpg


I've installed Windows 7 Professional from the MSDNAA deal (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1446708) and it's incredibly snappy. It handles multitasking (for my purposes, at least) very well. I often run 10-20 firefox tabs open over a couple of windows, Messenger, Office, Outlook, OneNote, and maybe a couple other applications, and there aren't any hiccups. The biggest downsides to this netbook will rear their heads if you're doing this for an extended period of time with the backlight turned up, though. That is, heat, and battery life. Battery life, in my experience, can vary between 3-6 hours, depending on what you're doing. Watching flash video or gaming and you'll obviously be on the lower end of that estimate. Sitting in 'power saver' mode while taking notes will leave you on the higher end.

As for heat, it's not that the netbook gets terribly hot. It's really quite comfortable to use on my lap in its own right, and when compared to my 17" laptop with an Nvidia 7900 GS, it's rather cool. Heat is a small issue in regard to the fan. It's usually on unless one's meeting the prior criteria of just sitting back, taking the occasional note. If the fan's on high in a very quiet bedroom, you'll notice. However, for students considering this device, I've yet to even be able to hear the netbook in a classroom without putting my ear to the fan and looking like a fool. So I really don't think you'll be bothering the person sitting next to you unless you're playing Starcraft and it's otherwise absolutely silent.

3882986968_3eecbcd685_o.jpg


The resolution/pixel pitch of this netbook are what sold me on it. The screen is beautiful and crisp. Incredibly bright, too. Coming from my 22" eIPS screens, however, the viewing angles, particularly vertically, are pretty bad. Even compared to my 17" laptop, which I believe is a TN display, it's not great. When on my lap, I'll usually have the display tilted almost all the way back as to not get washed out blacks. It's really not a big issue, though, considering that this is a pretty small screen. It's not like you'll have differing viewing angles in the corners than the center of the display, nor will anyone be using color-critical applications on a netbook. Just thought I'd mention it. I've never used another netbook to compare it to in this regard.

3882987026_f4fcb4fca9_o.jpg


The texture of the palmrest is really quite nice. The constantly-flashing WiFi indicator light, not so useful. Also, the touchpad is big enough for the resolution and works well. The mouse 'bar' is pretty nice, too, though it will pick up fingerprints as soon as you touch it, and I find it almost impossible to use with one hand. Usually I'll use my dominant hand to navigate the touchpad, my other to press the bar. It's a little to stiff to casually tap with your thumb.

3882192971_f3a9a7f23c_o.jpg


Power indicator light/button.

3882193065_720bc23763_o.jpg


Mic and webcam. They work well, for what they are. Also, the bezel will scratch pretty easily. I think these marks are from using a microfiber on it. They're not terribly noticeable, however, and it's not a big deal.

3882987230_416dc9182d_o.jpg


And, of course, the primary reason to consider this netbook, its power. Specifically, the discrete graphics. WoW runs at 15-30 fps at the stock 1.2GHz on minimum settings/native resultions/no addons. Definitely playable if leveling an alt or grinding or something, and apparently you can expect ~20-25% better framerates if overclocked.

I think that's residue from the protective plastic that was on the bezel. I'll have to wipe it off.

I really love this device. I know I wouldn't have been as happy with my other considerations (Toshiba NB205 or Asus 1005HA). Other than battery life, you don't really make many concessions with this purchase. For a school netbook, I couldn't be happier. I also got in on Microsoft's Ultimate Steal deal and I'm loving OneNote/Office 2007 in conjunction with this hardware. The amazing price I got on the printer seals the deal for me.
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear you are enjoying it!. This is a great system for casual use and even slightly more. I would not consider it a gaming system but I myself went in knowing that. It definately does all I need it to and with the new ram I have I no longer feel the need to OC for anything other than Flash video.

I've ordered a Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM to try out. If it doesn't work out I have plenty of use for it elsewhere. If SSD's weren't Soooooooo expensive I'd maybe give that a shot as it seems the tech, just not the prices, have come of age.

Eventually I'll go with an Intel when thery pack the Dual core and Ion in an affordable netbook, for now this is awesome and if you need extended batteries are easily available, with added weight of course......
 
I need to post a WARNING about the Cas3 memory. If you have the PLL that only alows you to take one quick jump to 1.45 GHz this memory amy not alow you to overclock. There are two users on the other forum that can not overclock anymore unless they use the old memory. It would still preovide the enhncement in memory speed at stock but you may then be stuck at stock speed.
 
Taikero

The only issue with Win 7 is the WiFi driver. Try this. It worked for me

http://www.gadling.com/2009/06/28/gadling-gear-review-windows-7-on-the-gateway-l3103-netbook/

Yeah, I downloaded that driver from that site too. Although all of the drivers can be gotten from Gateway's official site at http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp. You'll also want to download the touchpad driver. While the touchpad works by default in Win7, the scrolling/gestures don't work without the official driver. They're pretty nice once you get used to them. A two-finger flick to navigate forward or back in a browser, for example, is pretty convenient.

I noticed that Microsoft OneNote wouldn't record audio with the default driver downloaded by Windows Update. I installed the official driver and it works fine now. Also having some problems with video recording in OneNote. The video freezes after the first few frames in playback. Hoping one of the two official video drivers will sort that out. Not that I'll use the video recording much in class, although audio recording will be very useful (as will the ability to search audio for keywords).

My girlfriend bought this netbook too after seeing mine, and when video chatting via Skype, the video freezes occasionally. When chatting via Messenger, audio drops out sometimes. Hoping those two driver updates on both machines will help. Both are running Win7 Professional.
 
Last edited:
I need to post a WARNING about the Cas3 memory. If you have the PLL that only alows you to take one quick jump to 1.45 GHz this memory amy not alow you to overclock. There are two users on the other forum that can not overclock anymore unless they use the old memory. It would still preovide the enhncement in memory speed at stock but you may then be stuck at stock speed.

really??

I'm using that new CAS3 memory and I'm overclocked, using setFSB to 1.43 GHZ.
 
Back
Top