Gateway Laptop $299

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
BestBuy AdScan starting October 7th, super HOT deal.

There are 2 laptops.

1. Celeron M, 512MB RAM, VISTA, DVD writer = $299

2. DualCoreINTEL, 1024MB, VISTA, DualLayer DVD Writer = $449

1486588856_38d47b5421_b.jpg

Omg, my wife will kill me if she sees this ad.

She would so like to get this pink Sony, however I already ordered that 12" HP this last Monday. :mad:

No way I'm gonna miss my football games! :D

More for you guys :p

How interesting......I was just looking at getting my daughter a laptop from Wally World for her birthday next weekend. Can you order them online at those prices?

I wonder how poorly it's gonna run Vista with only 512 ram? I'll bet the video is integrated, too. Hmm. Still a good price I guess. Just buy more ram.

It looks like this deal is regional, as no Best Buy stores in NE Ohio have this lappy in stock. :(

Others on Slickdeals are finding the same, so this is a big YMMV..

It's a celeron... You may save a greenback or two, but you'll need those later for reconstructive face surgery once you get done punching yourself in the face for buying such a pile of shite. ;)

If it had XP home the deal would be hot, however, having used vista and the celeron m, if you decide to buy this plan on getting more memory. Overall this is a great deal though, where else can you get a new laptop for 300 bucks

If it had XP home the deal would be hot, however, having used vista and the celeron m, if you decide to buy this plan on getting more memory. Overall this is a great deal though, where else can you get a new laptop for 300 bucks

Can't you use a Vista serial on a XP install?

I have no idea about this and judging from the comments in this thread... Is the celeron a really bad processor to use with Vista? For basic, home office stuff is the cpu really going to hamper the performance of the OS? I would think things like lack of ram or hdd speed would effect the system more since previous celerons (on Win98-XP) seem to work alright.

Celeron's are massively castrated. The one in that laptop is probably conroe core based except with 1/4 or 1/8th the amound of cache.

I have a 2.53 ghz Celeron. Based on P4 core in my work computer. It's SLOW. Bogs down on webpages, word documents, it's miserable. I don't think my old, old P3-800 got bogged down as much of this pile of crap does.

It's a celeron... You may save a greenback or two, but you'll need those later for reconstructive face surgery once you get done punching yourself in the face for buying such a pile of shite. ;)

ahahaha good one and good point :p

The moblie Celerons are fine. They are the exact same as the Pentium-M but with speedstep disabled so they run full speed all the time and battery life is less as a result.

Further info: Pentium-M chips are similar to the Core2Duo archetecture.

The moblie Celerons are fine. They are the exact same as the Pentium-M but with speedstep disabled so they run full speed all the time and battery life is less as a result.

Further info: Pentium-M chips are similar to the Core2Duo archetecture.
Core 2 was loosely based on the Pentium-M, but it's a couple of generations newer.

Pentium-M (single core only) -> Core Solo/Duo -> Core2 Solo/Duo

It's a celeron... You may save a greenback or two, but you'll need those later for reconstructive face surgery once you get done punching yourself in the face for buying such a pile of shite.

Celeron's are massively castrated. The one in that laptop is probably conroe core based except with 1/4 or 1/8th the amound of cache.

I have a 2.53 ghz Celeron. Based on P4 core in my work computer. It's SLOW. Bogs down on webpages, word documents, it's miserable. I don't think my old, old P3-800 got bogged down as much of this pile of crap does.

This isn't a 1998 Covington core folks. It's a Celeron M 520, and we don't know which stepping it is A or B. Either way, it's a single core, "Core2" CPU but...with half the cache, 533 FSB, no speed step, no virtualazation...that's it...

You guys are missing the big picture...it's the integrated Intel graphics, the single channel RAM(which a 943 chipset can actually gain from dual channel) that is what is holding this back and keeping it cheap. That CPU is quite powerful actually to be wearing the Celeron name.

Probably be some even better deals coming near the end of this year for same price but better guts, but this is a really good deal for a laptop that doesn't need to game.

That means my laptop is worth less than $300. :(

Ha hah!

I wonder how poorly it's gonna run Vista with only 512 ram?

Very, very slowly. 2GB is the spot where it starts getting snappy, from what I've heard. Not that I've owned a computer with less than that for a while now...<3 cheap RAMs.

You know you can get 2GB Laptop ram for $50 or 1GB for $25

Well, when there's a good sale up. :rolleyes:

Closer to $60-80 for a 2GB stick is more common. 2x1GB tends towards the lower end, of course. Newegg's got a number of nice options, between [H]ot deals.

Is the celeron a really bad processor to use with Vista?

Yes.

Well, "bad" depends on your expectations. You could probably turn Vista way down and make an okay web surfing + word processing lappy out of it. It even does maths if you're patient. Vista seems to be more of a whore about getting over 1 GB of memory than CPU speed. I still wouldn't put Vista on an older machine like that, given the choice...

I wasn't actually saying the celeron would affect vista, just that celerons and vista both suck. Vista on a vostro 1700 with 2gigs of ram is already using 33 percent of your memory with nothing but the base programs running. Vista is a joke, the only worthwhile part of it is volume shadow copy, but no businesses want to use such a new operating system to take advantage of it. This laptop will work great for someone using it for school once you upgrade the memory, but the graphics will still hamper any chances of gaming.

They aren't that bad. The Merom-based Celerons are single-core with 1MB cache. I've used one with an 8600M GT (also crippled, hurrah for DDR2), and it was alright for gaming.

I wouldn't suggest doing any encoding or anything of the sort, though. Note that I never tried it with Vista. I'll stick to XP for at least another year.

Sorry guys two of them are mine.

Limit of one per household*

If you want more than one, you'll probably have to go to more than one store. Or at least the same one at two different points during the day.

But at this price, I seriously doubt you'll have the time to do either.

Limit of one per household*

If you want more than one, you'll probably have to go to more than one store. Or at least the same one at two different points during the day.

But at this price, I seriously doubt you'll have the time to do either.

You were able to reserve them for in-store pickup online earlier this week as many as you wanted, with their price adjustment policy to get them to $299 on the weekend. This scan's been out for a few :).

disposable laptops at best, wait a couple years after they break, see what gateway part will cost.

would not advise buying anything gateway, acer is probaly liquidating all stock prior to absorbing them into operations/

I picked up something from a friend that is a bit more than those specs for 200$ recently so I would say this would have been sweeter as warranty would have been nice. Newegg has 2gb ram (pc5300 ddr2) for 60 bucks. Pretty sure it was Buffalo sticks.

When buying a laptop for 200-400 I think one can expect it to go for a couple of years for basic use with more RAM, fresh installs and treating it well. I just retired my 700MHz compaq armada that a couple of people used for years with DamnSmallLinux on it. They are disposable if you treat them as such.

As they say, you gets whats you pay for, and this is overall not a bad deal. For $300, they had to trim somewhere.

Performance-wise, a Celeron M is not a bad deal, it just suxors for battery life (no speedstep, as mentioned earlier.)

For a basic machine to do web-browsing and general office tasks, this will do it, albeit not as fast as other, more-expensive machines. I think I will try and snag one and eBay it.

i would buy $450 one, it will last couple of years. It is only $150 expensive from celeron, but if you see you will get double the memory double the hard drive, double the processor (not to mention at leat three times faster).

i would buy $450 one, it will last couple of years. It is only $150 expensive from celeron, but if you see you will get double the memory double the hard drive, double the processor (not to mention at leat three times faster).

i agree with everything, but 3 times faster. isn't the pentium dual core based on yonah architecture? i could have sworn the new celeron m 5xx series was based on merom. 1mb of cache isn't too bad. 1/4 of a high end core2duo seems to be what the celeron m is. a single core with half the cache of a t5xxx series.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html
according to that benchmark superpi is faster on the celeron m 520, but dhrystone whetstone stuff is faster on the dual core (maybe because it's dual core?).
yah... if you don't need dual core yet, i think the celerons should be just fine. it's almost like back in the opteron days when i was trying to decide between a single core opteron 148, or a 3800 x2. let's see... it'd be about $30 to upgrade ram 1.5gb... good enough or $60 for 2gb
it's not going to be super awesome gaming laptop that will burn through benchmarks, but it'll work well enough for general purposes. if it was a smaller screen, i'd find myself with one. i'd rather have a gateway than the always been there compaq celeron laptop though, that's for sure. ;p
oh yah... and the $450 has premium instead of home basic. woohoo!

Can you buy this laptop ahead of time and then bring it back unopen and do price-match?

Back