Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Wow someone has a tad too much spare time. Those videos look like compressed shit btw. Now do that same video on another display so we can see almost the exact same thing. To show how great they are.

I do think its good people are making a big deal about the smearing, if I had seen it I wouldve known this monitor wasnt for me, heck now I cant even go near my favorite game ( cs 1.6) cause Ill just get headaches or feel dizzy.

It seems to me more people aren't bothered by it then are so again, if it bothers you, get another display. I like how you mention you didn't see it until someone pointed it out to you, must have been really awful huh?

I mean seriously, some of you really just need to move on. Complaining of getting dizzy or headaches from some minor display smearing? Give me a break.

It seems to me more people aren't bothered by it then are so again, if it bothers you, get another display. I like how you mention you didn't see it until someone pointed it out to you, must have been really awful huh?

I mean seriously, some of you really just need to move on. Complaining of getting dizzy or headaches from some minor display smearing? Give me a break.

Ok ? I saw it myself on day 2 when playing awp_map in cs 1.6, the game that to me has it the worst, heck if it was minor I wouldnt be bitching. I also pointed it out on soccer games like Winning Eleven.

I will be moving on as soon as I find someone who wants it.

So you saw something that bothered you to the point of headaches and dizziness after only 2 days but still kept the monitor. That makes sense.

So you saw something that bothered you to the point of headaches and dizziness after only 2 days but still kept the monitor. That makes sense.

I can only do a replacement and in my case expensive as hell, and I will try to hold on until I sell it or make sure gateway is shipping out replacements without the faroudja doing its naughty business or whatever the problem is.

I do think its good people are making a big deal about the smearing, if I had seen it I wouldve known this monitor wasnt for me, heck now I cant even go near my favorite game ( cs 1.6) cause Ill just get headaches or feel dizzy.

5 seconds later......

Ok ? I saw it myself on day 2 when playing awp_map in cs 1.6, the game that to me has it the worst, heck if it was minor I wouldnt be bitching. I also pointed it out on soccer games like Winning Eleven.

I will be moving on as soon as I find someone who wants it.

:rolleyes: r u cereal? Now, before this thread went to a bunch of people complaining about smearing, the emphasis was on how you could hand-pick your panel based on production month and return or exchange it if it didn't suit you. Am I the only one who finds it ironic (and amusing) that the loudest voices are the ones that are out of their return/exchange period? Seriously, you had 2 weeks to do something about it and you didn't....crying about it here isn't going to help. If something bothered me that much I would've done something about it (I did actually, 3x with 3 different LCDs) or dealt with the consequences. Life goes on.

Now that I've done my part demonstrating this Gateway's fabulous display feature, how about you guys take a picture or video of your own model to show us how great it is!

Done something about it? You're preaching to the choir lol. No one here can do anything about your situation or effect any change. Posting a bunch of videos and synthetic tests on a forum only targets an audience that sees what you're seeing in varying degrees (mine's not as bad, but the smearing is there). Again, you'd be better off trying to start a dialogue on Gateway's forums or contacting a senior tech and directly linking your urls or the the PRAD link.

Regardless, you should be able to have your panel exchanged for a later production batch which won't completely eliminate the smearing but it might make it less noticeable. Either way you'd be in a better situation than your current one. Either you'd get a new panel with the chance of less noticeable smearing/ghosting/shimmering or you'd have an unopened new panel which would be easier to unload. I'm happy with the January panel compared to my 1st December panel and it corrected the problems I had enough for me to keep it. If it didn't, I would've simply returned it and you'd never see me in this thread again. :)

I returned the 32" Westy and decided to try a 24" January panel. I still see some smearing and flickering, but it isn't as bad, and I haven't messed with any settings yet.

I can confirm the panel lottery here, because this panel is better than the previous two "C" or Dec revs I had. This could be based on the month of manufacture or just luck I guess.

I am not 100% pleased, but I am better off than I was with the other panels, so I'll keep it. It does enough things right for me to deal with what it does wrong.

Thanks, guys, for ruining the best thread on the Internet pertaining to this display. That thanks :rolleyes: goes to both sides - !!!!!!s and critics.

That said, this is not normal ghosting, as has been said. The ghosting on this Gateway is darker than other LCDs, even other "overdrive" LCD panels. But I've learned to live with it, because I can't detect it in games. When moving a window containing text, it's quite visible and distracting. But in practice, I don't notice it that much.

5 seconds later......
:rolleyes: r u cereal? Now, before this thread went to a bunch of people complaining about smearing, the emphasis was on how you could hand-pick your panel based on production month and return or exchange it if it didn't suit you. Am I the only one who finds it ironic (and amusing) that the loudest voices are the ones that are out of their return/exchange period? Seriously, you had 2 weeks to do something about it and you didn't....crying about it here isn't going to help. If something bothered me that much I would've done something about it (I did actually, 3x with 3 different LCDs) or dealt with the consequences. Life goes on.

Bought from JR.com and only have exchange warranty from Gateway, which I intend to do when I know theyre shipping out later than Jan models or if I dont sell it before.

In other words I knew from day 2 I was #$^$ed. :D

Bought from JR.com and only have exchange warranty from Gateway, which I intend to do when I know theyre shipping out later than Jan models or if I dont sell it before.

In other words I knew from day 2 I was #$^$ed. :D

Really? What'd you do the other 28 days?

Return/ Exchange Policy

Products are warranted solely by the manufacturer. The complete warranty is included with the product and is subject to the conditions set forth by the manufacturer. J&R offers an exclusive 30-day exchange/refund policy to mail order and web customers only, except for the following products: TV monitors 20" and larger. Defective computer software and opened pre-recorded DVDs and CDs may be exchanged for same title only.

If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it for exchange or refund (excluding shipping and handling charges) within 30 days, subject to a Return Authorization from J&R (see exceptions above). Keep your purchase, accessories and all packing materials in new condition to avoid any restocking fees. For an RA (Return Authorization) number, call Customer Service at (800) 426-6027. Please note that an RA # does not guarantee final disposition and all returns are subject to inspection. All exchanged/ returned merchandise must be in original factory carton, including all packaging materials, inserts and manuals, warranty cards (not filled-out) and all accessories. Please do not tape or write anything on the item or the original manufacturer’s carton. In some cases, we may charge you for the replacement of damaged, altered, missing, written-on or taped-on contents or cartons. We reserve the right to refuse any such items.

All returns must be packed in an outer shipping carton with valid RA # written on the outside of the shipping carton.
A copy of your original invoice must be included in your return package.
Please note: our Returns Receiving Department will refuse any package that does not have a valid RA#. There are no exceptions.
Please ship your parcel back to us Freight Prepaid. We suggest that you use UPS Ground Service “Insured”. Sorry, we cannot accept COD or freight-collect shipments.

We do not reimburse or refund shipping charges if a third-party shipper is used, such as Mail Boxes Etc., Postal Annex, etc. Note: A signed proof of delivery will be required on all lost package claims. The above guidelines apply to all internet and mail order purchases.

Send pre-authorized returns to:
J&R Music and Computer World
59-41 Maurice Ave.
Maspeth, NY 11378

Purchases made through our website or by phone may also be returned to our Retail Store. Returns for computer and office products can be brought to 19 Park Row basement. Returns for other consumer electronics can be brought to 31 Park Row basement.

Seems like they have an excellent return/exchange policy, unless in your excitement you ripped the box apart with your teeth. You pay for shipping, that's it. $20 or $650 worth of monitor you can't stand to look at.

Talonman: No worries. I know I come off as a bit abrasive in forums. I think I need to use more smiley's or something. :)

Several of those talking about overdrive, I think you may have the answer about the reverse ghosting. I was unfamiliar with overdrive other than as a completely overpowered display. But I did some more research and I think you are probably right.

Here's a blurb from AnandTech:

Response Time

Response time measures how long it takes for one crystal cell to change its state from on to off. Some types of panels are faster than others in this category. The lower value of time (usually milliseconds) means a quicker change. A high response time can cause blurry/streaky effects in motion. A technology called Overdrive (ODC, overdriving circuit) can assist in reducing these effects.

Overdrive is not perfect. It takes advantage of the phenomenon where crystals transition faster when put under a high voltage (and likewise slower under a low voltage). However, it can push this voltage too high, resulting in bright artifacts around moving objects. The opposite can happen with reverse overdrive which droops voltage and can result in dark artifacts.

That seems to sum up the problem pretty well. It sounds like the display has overly aggressive overdrive as others have pointed out. Although I'm still trying to figure out why it goes from almost non existence to unmissable after 20 minutes. If I run the prad test, or the like, right when I turn on my monitor, after a few hours off, you can only barely see if it you really stare at it. However, around 15-20 minutes it becomes so bright (or dark) that it's obvious even 5-6 feet from the display. I'm curious if the noted high heat of the monitor has something to do with this?

I'm hoping, probably futilely, that Gateway will correct this in later models. I would find it unlikely that this would be something that could be adjusted in any way on the users end.

Here are some more practical examples of the effect. These were taken at 1/60 shutterspeed (which explains why they are a little dark) so your not seeing multiple frames.

These two are from BF2142:

bf2142ghost1.jpg

bf2142ghost2.jpg

Honestly these pictures don't do justice to how bright the trail actually can be. In the picture it's quite faint. And it's not like I was turning real fast either.

Here's the effect with opposite colors on Company of Heroes:

CoHGhost%20copy.jpg

I'll get my new one from Gateway shortly. So until then here's hoping.:rolleyes:

I guess my question is why does inverse ghosting bother some more than regular ghosting? Six of one half dozen of the other really, and clearly it's worse on some displays.

I would imagine a service menu would have some options that would effect output, someone needs to find that code so we can see what exactly is going on.

Just a question for those dealing with Gateway customer service, do they offer a cross ship exchange right off the bat or do you have to fight for that option?

I'm thinking I will do a Gateway RMA down the road just to get an up to date model, but only if they send out first.

Several of those talking about overdrive, I think you may have the answer about the reverse ghosting. I was unfamiliar with overdrive other than as a completely overpowered display. But I did some more research and I think you are probably right.

Here's a blurb from AnandTech:

That seems to sum up the problem pretty well. It sounds like the display has overly aggressive overdrive as others have pointed out. Although I'm still trying to figure out why it goes from almost non existence to unmissable after 20 minutes. If I run the prad test, or the like, right when I turn on my monitor, after a few hours off, you can only barely see if it you really stare at it. However, around 15-20 minutes it becomes so bright (or dark) that it's obvious even 5-6 feet from the display. I'm curious if the noted high heat of the monitor has something to do with this?

I'm hoping, probably futilely, that Gateway will correct this in later models. I would find it unlikely that this would be something that could be adjusted in any way on the users end.
Now see, that's actually a productive contribution to this thread. Not sure if you deleted the bit about overdrive creating artifacting and underdrive causing darker ghosts, but that was helpful as well.

It helps explain why some people are seeing more severe ghosting/shimmering compared to others. Some of the earlier threads focused on the heat of the panel and the buzzing PSU along with heavy ghosting. I've never really considered the panel hot on either of my panels like some others but it makes sense considering many are complaining about the brightness of the backlight. That blurb indicates smearing gets worst as the panel warms up and many others including myself have noticed ghosting in the corners tends to go away as the panel warms up. So clearly, the temperature of the panel or even ambient room temps have some impact on ghosting.

In any case, I do think getting a newer panel can alleviate some of the biggest problems people are having with this panel. Shimmering for sure, inverse ghosting may still take some time to fix. Adjusting the lamp temperatures/brightness/heat may help as well tweaks to the drive electronics, overdrive chip, or Faroudja over time.

Thanks, guys, for ruining the best thread on the Internet pertaining to this display. That thanks :rolleyes: goes to both sides - !!!!!!s and critics.

That said, this is not normal ghosting, as has been said. The ghosting on this Gateway is darker than other LCDs, even other "overdrive" LCD panels. But I've learned to live with it, because I can't detect it in games. When moving a window containing text, it's quite visible and distracting. But in practice, I don't notice it that much.

This is not a fix but may I make a suggestion to eliminate the distraction that occures when moving windows that contain text and or graphics?

Since it is highly unlikely that you need or are trying to either read, type and or edit the windows contents with while you are moving it around the desktop why not eliminate the contents altogether?

If you go to My Computer / Properties / Advanced - Tab / Performance - Setting

Under the Visual Effects menu UNCHECK "Show window contents while dragging"

Now when you move your windows around the contents will not be shown and you will just see the needed outline of the window.
When you are done moving the window the contents will re appear.

Works great.

Best

JMD

Just a question for those dealing with Gateway customer service, do they offer a cross ship exchange right off the bat or do you have to fight for that option?

I'm thinking I will do a Gateway RMA down the road just to get an up to date model, but only if they send out first.

When I called they stated they couldn't do a troubleshoot since I didn't have a Gateway tower and then they immediately offered to ship me a new one. They will cross ship but they will put a charge on your credit card (sort of a security deposit) that they will give back when they have the old monitor back.

Guys let's turn this thread into something productive. What we ALL really need and should have is access to the LCD's Service/Factory menu. I would bet a dollar to a donut (*is that the saying?) that there are settings that would make users happy with the output, some like the overdrive, some don't. I personally would rather have a slight smear that ghosting, but others just want traditional ghosting.

Let's try and figure it out. Doing a google for Gateway service menu I was able to find a PDF of one of their older Television sets and it details how to access the factory menu, so clearly it is something their panels (hell all panels) have.

I am on hold and plan to pepper the tech support into giving me the damn code, I suggest those of you who have complaints do the same (instead of posting lame ass videos set to music) Again, I love my display and really don't have any complaints to speak of, but I would love access to the service menu!

I have one for my Westinghouse 42 1080p display and would really like to have it for this one dammit. I hate secrets. :)

service.JPG

Make sure when and if you call you ask for the code to the Factory Mode or menu, someone is bound to break.

i got a noob question i need a dvi cable for my gateway so i went on monoprice.com to get one but they have different types like dvi d dual and all that. can someone link me to the cord i need. i dont get down with all these different types of cables. im just hooking it up to my 7900 vc

i got a noob question i need a dvi cable for my gateway so i went on monoprice.com to get one but they have different types like dvi d dual and all that. can someone link me to the cord i need. i dont get down with all these different types of cables. im just hooking it up to my 7900 vc
You only need a single-link cable for the Gateway -- a dual-link cable would also work, but the extra bandwidth would be completely wasted as the resolution on the Gateway only utilizes single-link (i.e. a dual-link cable will NOT improve the image quality, or anything like that). I believe this cable would be sufficient:
DVI Male Digital/DVI Male Digital Single Link 28AWG Cable - 12FT (Gold Plated/Black).

Guys let's turn this thread into something productive.
Amen :)

What we ALL really need and should have is access to the LCD's Service/Factory menu. I would be a dollar to a donut (*is that the saying?) that there are settings that would make users happy with the output, some like the overdrive, some don't. I personally would rather have a slight smear that ghosting, but others just want traditional ghosting.
Cool idea, Ferris. I hope you're able to get the info from Gateway. Is overdrive typically something that is toggleable on service menus for panels that support it? So far, the only panel I've heard of that allows the user to toggle overdrive is the new NEC 26 inch model, but then again, I haven't specifically looked for this in other models. Are there other monitors out there that let you disable overdrive, perhaps through a service menu? It would be interesting to see if this fixes the color trailing that's bothering some people (at the cost of decreasing the response time, but it would be nice to have the option nonetheless).

Really? What'd you do the other 28 days?

Seems like they have an excellent return/exchange policy, unless in your excitement you ripped the box apart with your teeth. You pay for shipping, that's it. $20 or $650 worth of monitor you can't stand to look at.

Yeah I remember seeing that and took notice of 20" thing, either the rep I contacted was a moron or this one falls into that category.

Got my 24" Gateway at BestBuy this past weekend - it was a January 2007 model. No dead pixels, light bleed is very slight to non-existent (compared to what I've seen on demo units at least). Composite/S-video NTSC picture is very nice. Very happy with quality.

Got my 24" Gateway at BestBuy this past weekend - it was a January 2007 model. No dead pixels, light bleed is very slight to non-existent (compared to what I've seen on demo units at least). Composite/S-video NTSC picture is very nice. Very happy with quality.

Ditto for me. Got my JAN-07 at Best Buy for $593.XX + tax on Friday. Very happy so far.

Ok, I figured out how to apply the color profile Jarred at AT provided. Takes a few steps but colors do look much better, only I don't think it applies to every input like with EzTune or the OSD. Looks like the changes are only applied under XP unfortunately.

Anyways here's what you need to do to apply the profile:

1) Get the MS Color Control Applet and install it.

2) Download the Color Profile ICC provided by Jarred at AT and extract it anywhere, just remember where.

3) Run the MS Color Control Applet through Control Panel > Appearance > Colors.

4) Go to the 2nd tab Profiles. Hit Install and navigate to where you saved the Color Profile ICC. Select the ICC and it should show up in the compatible profile window .

5) Go to the 3rd tab Devices. Select your Gateway, hit Add and choose the Gateway Profile you just added. Hit Apply and OK.

Again, it looks like its just a fix for apps/games in Windows unfortunately and colors may still look off a bit depending on what your EzTune and OSD settings are. I'll ask Jarred tomorrow what his Brightness and Contrast are set to but I think he said 60/61 with this profile. Ideally someone could do this using EzTune so its a uniform fix for all inputs, although it might not be as precise or easy to accomplish.

Chizow,

I got to step 5 and when I hit apply I keep recieving "Could not associate profile new-gateway-60contrast.icm". Any idea why I keep getting that?

Just to add two data points.

1) If heat does turn out to be a factor, I might add that my wife likes to keep the house set at 62 degrees, and my computer is in the basement. The monitor has been sitting in a 60 some degree room ever since I baught it. My DEC power supply never did make a peep, nor does my screen get real warm ever. This could be part of the reason I consider the ghosting I see to be normal LCD performance. I keep my brightness set to 87.

2) I have all the extra little boxes in Windows settings about extra drawing features set to 'unchecked', and also think it is the way to go.

Here's a blurb from AnandTech: Response Time

Response time measures how long it takes for one crystal cell to change its state from on to off. Some types of panels are faster than others in this category. The lower value of time (usually milliseconds) means a quicker change. A high response time can cause blurry/streaky effects in motion. A technology called Overdrive (ODC, overdriving circuit) can assist in reducing these effects.

Overdrive is not perfect. It takes advantage of the phenomenon where crystals transition faster when put under a high voltage (and likewise slower under a low voltage). However, it can push this voltage too high, resulting in bright artifacts around moving objects. The opposite can happen with reverse overdrive which droops voltage and can result in dark artifacts.

This was a good nugget of info just to know. Thanks for the post. ;)

Guys let's turn this thread into something productive. What we ALL really need and should have is access to the LCD's Service/Factory menu.

I too would like to see the various setting's in the Gateways 'secret menu' and see if maybe the default settings were changed from month to month?

Another good post.

Chizow,

I got to step 5 and when I hit apply I keep recieving "Could not associate profile new-gateway-60contrast.icm". Any idea why I keep getting that?

I'm not sure, this is the first time I've used that applet. TalonMan added some stuff to get his to work so maybe that might help you.

1) Get the MS Color Control Applet and install it.

2) Download the Color Profile ICC provided by Jarred at AT and extract it anywhere, just remember where.

3) Run the MS Color Control Applet through Control Panel > Appearance > Colors.
Note: (On Windows XP Media Edition it's just Control Panel > Color).

4) Go to the 2nd tab Profiles. Hit Install and navigate to where you saved the Color Profile ICC. Select the ICC and it should show up in the compatible profile window .

5) Go to the 3rd tab Devices. Select your Graphics Card entry, hit Add and choose the Gateway Profile you just added. Hit Apply and OK.
Note: (My computer did not go Jarred's new professionally calibrated color profile until I clicked the 'Save as default' button too, then poof!! Much better).

Service menu would be nice if there's an option to decrease the ODC or backlight intensity but I haven't come across any posts showing how to access it. Anyone know a Gateway tech or know if its accessible on some of the other Gateway panels? People having problems might want to play around with the OSD mode settings as well, since it seems on some other panels the setting can effect banding/ghosting due to any video processors like Faroudja. I believe the 2407 was like that.

Also, for people noticing more ghosting, are you running native resolution or 1:1 for non-native resolutions? Are you enabling Vsync? Are you getting 60+ FPS in the games/movies you're noticing a lot of ghosting? As I stated earlier, the resolution and source quality has a pretty big effect on how much ghosting and banding the panel exhibits.

I watched Sin City yesterday in HD and it looked incredible. For those who aren't familiar with the movie, its shot almost entirely in B&W. I didn't bother to double-check but I'm sure if I watched the non-1080 version, it would've looked like ass. Maybe I'll take some pictures tonite and show the difference.

Chizow,

Just to check one thing, when you are selecting Jarreds file to use as yours, it is listed there as a valid selection in the 'Seclet Color Profile' box that appears when you hit the Add button correct?

We install it in step 4, and select it in step 5 to use.

"Could not associate profile " almost sounds like the computer cant find the file?

Not sure what to think about that error... hmmmm.....

I talked to a few "techs" at Gateway last night both on the phone and online and got NOWHERE with getting access to a service menu.

Some just sent me a spec sheet while another guy just posted links to how to use the Gateway OSD.

:rolleyes:

With no actual buttons on this monitor it makes it hard to figure out. If you hold down menu the display takes you through a text tour but that is about the only thing I stumbled upon while playing with the buttons etc..

Just to check one thing, when you are selecting Jarreds file to use as yours, it is listed there as a valid selection in the 'Seclet Color Profile' box that appears when you hit the Add button correct?

TalonMan,

After I extract the file, I then open the Color Control Applet and click the profile tab. When I click install I go to the location where I unzipped the file and it appears as a valid color profile so I add it. The next tab I show 2 monitor options, I think one was Default Nvidia and then another was Plug and play. I then hit add and see Jarreds profile an hit ok. When I attempt to apply it I get that message "could not assoiciate profile...". Same thing happens for either monitor option. One thing I do notice, and I'm not sure if this matters, but in the Profile tab, Jarreds profile shows up as new-gateway-60contrast.icm*. I am not sure why (*) shows up at the end of the profile name in the list of profiles or if it even matters.

I have a question, I kind of got jacked on this a little bit.

I never noticed I had a white pixel until the other day when I decided to put my face to the monitor when it was on a black background. Of course, I notice this a few weeks after the purchase since it's the only lit pixel.

How many pixels does it take for Gateway to backup this 24" monitor? Maybe by some luck they back up their top of the line better than the average consumer, I don't know.

It's driving me nuts, actually, it's not a big deal, but still. :(

I got a November model, but a bit later down the road, I am going to warranty exchange it when I have a great chance of getting a 2007 model....

Mine is not bad at all, but in CoD2, I do see some smearing or ghosting like in the sky when planes are flying, the back edges leave a steady lighter colored trail for a very specific distance with a sharp edge.....no transitions really....

I have a question, I kind of got jacked on this a little bit.

I never noticed I had a white pixel until the other day when I decided to put my face to the monitor when it was on a black background. Of course, I notice this a few weeks after the purchase since it's the only lit pixel.

How many pixels does it take for Gateway to backup this 24" monitor? Maybe by some luck they back up their top of the line better than the average consumer, I don't know.

It's driving me nuts, actually, it's not a big deal, but still. :(

Huh? What exactly are you talking about, how many pixels does it take to backup the monitor?

One great thing about Gateway and their piss poor tech support is they don't even try to troubleshoot a display, they just cross ship you a new one. So in 6 months when they have ironed out any kinks, you can have a new display in no time.

Back