Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Can you tell us what were the months/serial (MGL6*) for those FPD2485W you tested?

The models on display in the store were november models MGL6B.

And the 24inch that I purchased and hand picked from the stacks was a January model. MGQ71.

Both had the same trait of trailing, leading me to assume that the MGL6C (DEC) does it as well.

I just find it increadibly interesting that very few people in this thread find it unnatural or hard on the eyes. Even several people I worked with agreed that the trailing/ghosting colors on the gateway was akward.

I'm not saying the gateway was a bad monitor. I love its crispness and colors. Text to me looks awesome on this. But playing games and watching videos, its just too much for me.

I will be returning this monitor to find something that better suits me.

Again, if you're in search for the 24" Holy Grail that exhibits no ghosting you'll be waiting for a while. ;) Sure, its odd that the ghosting trails on the Gateway result in darker colors, but I think the reason more people aren't complaining about it is because its only really obvious in synthetic ghosting tests. In games and movies, I've only noticed the smearing in high contrast situations like light on dark or dark on light. It probably does have something to do with the Faroudja processor or the panel trying to overcompensate with overdrive. It could also be a design flaw where the R/G/B don't respond at the same speed. Worth keeping an eye on this for sure, but for most people its not a show-stopper.

In terms of input lag and response time, its better than the Dell 2407 A03 which I had for about 2 weeks. It didn't have inverse ghosting, but the ghosting trails were more severe and larger textures would tear and distort on their own. To give you a better example, it seemed like there was extra animation on a moving object when there should've been none. The result was a blocky pixelated mess moving across the screen.

Anyways, good luck in your purchasing decision. The Dell 2407 A04 is shipping with relative certainty now and you can pick one up for $575-600 on Ebay guaranteed A04. The new BenQs are starting to ship as well (WZ and VW). I believe LG and Sceptre are also coming out with new 24"s in the next few months that look promising. Or you can wait for the 24" WMGX2 from NEC but it'll probably be $1000+.

I just find it increadibly interesting that very few people in this thread find it unnatural or hard on the eyes. Even several people I worked with agreed that the trailing/ghosting colors on the gateway was akward.

Thats likely because no two people see things exactly the same way.

Some people are more sensitive to sunlight than others, some have great night vision compared to others, but no two people are going to see things exactly the same. What is noticable and annoying to one person may not even be noticed by someone else.

I was debating for months about a new LCD to replace my old SONY 19". It was killing me because I've never bought a single screen that I couldn't see in person. When I saw the Gateway 24" in BestBuy, I knew I'd found one that worked for me. I don't notice any of the problems some people here have mentioned.

To my eyes, I've got no dead pixels, no backlight bleeding, and my eyes don't notice any ghosting at all. Someone else may not agree, even though they're looking at the same screen I am.

Personally, I love this screen, and wouldn't exchange it for anything else.

LCD's are VERY subjective, and it always pays to look at it in person before you buy if its at all possible.

Again, it looks like its just a fix for apps/games in Windows unfortunately and colors may still look off a bit depending on what your EzTune and OSD settings are. I'll ask Jarred tomorrow what his Brightness and Contrast are set to but I think he said 60/61 with this profile. Ideally someone could do this using EzTune so its a uniform fix for all inputs, although it might not be as precise or easy to accomplish.

Chizow,

Did you ever find out whether Jarred used the 60/61 settings for Brightness/Contrast?:)

I returned my second 24" Gateway, because I must have subjective and sensitive eyes. I could see terrible black smearing in WoW, and texture flickering all over the place. Best Buy had a deal on the 32" Westinghouse LCD, which runs 1366 x 768.

Besides the two dead pixels on the Westy (which I also can't live with :mad: ), the Westy does not have black smearing or ANY texture flickering in WoW, just like my 21" Gateway did not have these issues.

So, I really can't believe that it is only my eyes that are seeing these things on the Gateway 24". I was tempted to grab a January revision instead of the Westy, but I don't have faith in this panel.

I had a January model and had the terrible ground texture shimmering/flickering thing in WoW too so don't feel bad. I think it is an interaction between the panel and certain video cards because my laptop hooked to the panel did not produce the flicker, but my Mac Pro hooked to it was flickering like crazy in WoW whenever you moved. Whatever it was I couldn't live with it and returned it. If not for that flicker I thought it had a great image.

I am really starting to think that it may be card based as well to a degree.

If that is the case though, some people with no issues may get a little surprise if they upgrade their card later.

Chizow,

Did you ever find out whether Jarred used the 60/61 settings for Brightness/Contrast?:)

Yeah its 60/61 or 61/60, I double-checked the review and it looks like that's the case. Problem is that if you change your contrast/brightness via EzTune or the OSD, it'll affect your other inputs as well. I'm using 60/61 now with the ICC profile Jarred provided in Window but I may go back to my old contrast/brightness settings. Windows still looks good with the ICC profiles and my old settings because the color spectrum is still uniform even if they're not as close to accurate as possible, if that makes sense. With my old contrast/brightness settings, other inputs look better, if that makes sense.

DCMix5, ya its going to bother some people more than others for sure, similar to how banding bugs the hell out of some people but others not so much. I did see the shimmering on my DEC model but I don't on the JAN one for sure. Sounds like some with JAN panels still do and some with DEC or even NOV never have. On the bright side, you were able to return your panel with relative ease once you realized it wasn't for you. The other options from here won't be so painless.

It will be just as painless, because I am going to try a 22" Gateway from Best Buy. If I don't get a good panel, it goes back.

It will be just as painless, because I am going to try a 22" Gateway from Best Buy. If I don't get a good panel, it goes back.

Ah ok, thought you were still looking in the 24" category. People seem pretty happy with the Gateway 22" so hopefully that suits you better. Can also check out the 22" Samsung 226BW, the Acer and Viewsonic, all of which are available at CC (may be 15% restocking though).

But like anything else with LCDs, there is a trade-off. Lower resolution, higher dot pitch, lower pixel density going to a 22". No 1:1 scaling and no 1080p output with limited input options. After seeing what a 24" display with these features is capable of, I can't see myself using anything else despite its flaws.

After having the 21" Gateway that was perfect, all I can see in the 24" Gateway are the flaws, and they are glaring flaws that make the monitor useless to me in comparsion.

I have a 46" TV out in the living room for the Xbox 360, so I am really going to have to focus on great PC gaming screens, and the 21" I sold was really great in that respect. I am just praying the 22" is the same.

Does anyone here play Counter Strike 1.6 ? This game makes me dizzy because of the stupid trailing, smearing or whatever it is.

Ferris or anyone out there with a "perfect" or near perfect :p , do you have CS 1.6 to try ?

Anyways, much thanks to the person who posted the Jarred ICC profile, definitely made me like the monitor a bit more.

After following this thread for a a while, went out this weekend and purchased one at B.B.
A January model. I have to say this thing is beautiful! Exceeded my expections.

I'm not a hard core gamer, but I could not find "anything" wrong with this monitor. I'll say it's the first monitor I've bought in over a decade that I didn't find something that I didn't like but decided to live with. Pounded it a little with 3dbenchmark05, looked awesome. Having a ton of fun multitabling online poker, surfing and reading emails all at the same time.

A+++ from me.

Also wanted to mention what I thought was a pretty good buy for anyone looking for a cable.

http://www.datapro.net

Bought a 25' "DVI-D" cable for $59.00 +shipping.
Good quality cable and performing flawless at 25'

XFX 7600 GT (AGP)
Asus 2.8 ghz P4

If the 22" has the same issues as the 24", that will be my fourth monitor/TV return in 2 weeks.

Here's my prad test result. Look's the same as above :(
Obviosly we're seeing something of a new issue here. Could it be the Faroudja processing?

Btw, Nice wallpaper design Darv :cool:

Here's one site with lots of different wallpapers at 1920x1200 res and other sizes
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/index.php?sort=date&w=1920&h=1200

Thanks, there is some nice stuff there. Some actually do work in Portrait modes (1200 x 1920) but the vast majority that I find are ladscape only. I've been working on them to get EzTune to automatically switch wallpaper when the montior is rotated. Hopefully they will have some time to get to it eventually.

-Darv

Same for me Piken. I love my 24" HD screen.

I cant see stepping back down to smaller pannels unless money is a factor. 24" and 1:1 true scaleing is just too appealing to give up. I had a 22" screen that I took back to BB. The color was better on the 24" Gateway.

I still am amaised at the people bitching.....

Take it back and move on................

Give the ghosting talk a rest. Mine dosent ghost, or very little. We need all the super pickey people, or the ones with week eyes to go to the Ben-Q or Dell thread and talk about how crappy their screens are. Mabey it will be better received there, but I doubt it?

Who knows though, it goes against human nature to want people trash talk about the monitor you baught, but mabey they will like it.

Go try them out to see how receptive they are.

Is it just me or is anybody else getting tired of the ghosting trash talk? There are so many good things to say about this monitor, just tired of a few pople's repetitave negitive posts.

24" Gateway fans unite! Lets take this thread back.....

Inverse-colored trailing is normal for monitors with overdrive and is usually most visible against dark gray. I've seen it on every monitor with overdrive, although I find it's worse on monitors with S-PVA panels since they have bad gray-to-gray response times to begin with.

I've seen this problem on the Eizo CE240W, and I hear the Dell 2407WFP has the same problem. It's caused by the crappy overdrive implementation used in some monitors with S-PVA panels. Changing the brightness or color settings might eliminate the effect.

ToastyX I am not familiar with what your talking about as far as "overdrive." I know what an "overdriven" monitor is, which is too much voltage, but that doen't cause the inverse effect. Can you explain it in more detail?

To clarify, for those looking at the images that people are posting with ghosting, the camera shutter speed will cause the multiple images and generally not the ghosting itself. For instance if an image is being displayed at 24fps then 1/8 second shutter will capture ~3 frames since in the 1/8 of a second 3 fames of the 24 per second will go by. I could produce the same effect on a CRT. I wouldn't be concerned about that too much.

My problem is not with that aspect of it but with the inverse color trailing which is visible on my and a few others pics. Wasteomind said it was also in 22" Gateway as well but not in other monitors (Thanks for the tests BTW:) ). This leads me to believe theat there's a good likelyhood that it has something to do with the Faroudja chips in them since both monitors have them and the others don't AFAIK. If this is the case it may be possible to fix the monitor with a firmware update or the like. I myself cannot take this monitor back because I have had it well over the 14 day return policy so I'm stuck with trying to find a solution if possible.

Also Piken (or anyone who recently bought this monitor), could you run a quick test? Make sure your monitor has been running for 20 minutes or so and then go to this link. Stand about 1 - 2 feet from the monitor and see if you see an inverted trail (it should be a light greenish blue) behind the red moving square. It should be obvious if it's there. Post your results if you can. I'm interested if certain model runs are different or are all of them have this problem.

Yeah, it might be another ghosting post...

Some people don't like that part of the monitor.

Tell me that was not another ghosting post please!!

Talonman no offense but your starting to sound like a shill for Gateway.

What I and others are talking about is not conventional ghosting. It is something else. As I have stated several times before normal ghosting doesn't bother me. And as wasteomind test shows other monitors do not do the inverted thing. If your's is fine that's great. Good for you. However, for those of us who cannot return them I am trying to figure out the problem as it may be correctable.

So please keep your comments to yourself if you have nothing to add other than "My monitors great."

Man, this thread went to crap since I was last here!

I've got a Dec. model and I've been happy with it. It DOES have the ghosting from the Prad website (I think I might have been one of the first to see it in this thread?) but in real life use, I haven't noticed it. If there's a way to fix it, that would be awesome though. I want my $600 screen to look as good as possible! There is a slight amount of backlight bleeding in the upper corners but I don't notice it very often, just when there's a dark scene in a video I'm watching. I've been playing UT2k4 and HL2 and ghosting/inverted ghosting hasn't bothered me. I also do video editing and 3D work regularly. I do notice slight banding in 3D (the gradients) though.

Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to the issues of LCD's as this is my first.

Talonman no offense but your starting to sound like a shill for Gateway.

What I and others are talking about is not conventional ghosting. It is something else. As I have stated several times before normal ghosting doesn't bother me. And as wasteomind test shows other monitors do not do the inverted thing. If your's is fine that's great. Good for you. However, for those of us who cannot return them I am trying to figure out the problem as it may be correctable.

So please keep your comments to yourself if you have nothing to add other than "My monitors great."

Check your facts Ace. It's not all I post.

And you keep your comments to yourself if all your going to add is my monitor ghosts.

Do us a favor and just return it....
Please!!!

I am tring to get any and all other conversations going other than ghosting.

It has all been said 1000 times. Look back in the thread, I assure you the subjuct has been adaquately covered and then some. It seems to be the subjust some just cant seem to let go of.

Let it go...... It's an LCD.

However, for those of us who cannot return them I am trying to figure out the problem as it may be correctable.

What exactly have you tried to correct the problem? Have you tried messing with the different settings (desktop, movies, games etc.) to disable or lessen the effect of the Faroudja? Getting on the phone with Gateway and asking them if they considered it a problem and if it was possible to bypass/disable it would also be helpful.

You could also try and unload the monitor on Ebay. Sure you'll take a little bit of a loss on it but if it bothers you that much, its worth it. If something bothered me that much I'm sure I would've done something about it within 14 days, like so many others have done.

Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to the issues of LCD's as this is my first.
Actually you're kinda lucky, usually first time LCD owners have the hardest time adjusting to the problems associated with LCDs vs. CRTs. But ya most people won't notice the inverted ghosting; I only see it on certain color schemes but I'll test it more when I get some working RAM for my PC. Watching the Chili Peppers in concert now atm in 1080 and it looks great, no noticeable ghosting at all. :)

Check your facts Ace. It's not all I post.

And you keep your comments to yourself if all your going to add is my monitor ghosts.

Do us a favor and just return it....
Please!!!

I am tring to get any and all other conversations going other than ghosting.

It has all been said 1000 times. Look back in the thread, I assure you the subjuct has been adaquately covered and then some. It seems to be the subjust some just cant seem to let go of.

Let it go...... It's an LCD.
I'm sorry, but since when do you get to decide what topics are valid for discussion and what aren't? I disagree that the subject has been adequately covered, and I'm interested in this information, so other posters are not "doing us all a favor" by not discussing it. It's true that ghosting has been mentioned a lot, but after reading this entire thread it's still not clear to me whether the problem with inverted color affects every single Gateway, and some people are just less sensitive to it, or whether Gateway's quality control is inconsistent and some of these monitors exhibit it worse than others. I would suspect that there is probably some combination of both, but on this entire thread there's only been one person who actually had the chance to test several of these monitors at the same time, namely wasteomind, a couple of pages ago. He reported that all that he looked at experienced the color ghosting problem, but even there he only got to test the November models, so it's still not clear to me whether this issue is less prominent on the December or whether it affects all shipments.

This issue is obviously important to a lot of people who are still considering this monitor, so I fail to see why the discussion is unwarranted. I'd think people who already own this monitor and notice this problem would be interested in discovering the cause and whether or not it's possible to resolve this problem or make it less apparent with settings on the monitor.

For what it's worth, I think it's great that you are happy with this monitor, and I'm certainly not saying that this thread should only be a place where people bitch and moan about all the problems they can find. But comments like "Gateway fans unite!" are not contributing anything to this thread -- this isn't supposed to be a fight between those who like and dislike the monitor. It's supposed to be a place to share information, both good and bad, for the benefit of both those who have this monitor and those who are thinking about buying it. So if you don't care about ghosting, that's fine, you're welcome to discuss anything about the monitor you'd like to, but please stop telling others what they can and can't discuss.

Hey all - I by chance was following up on this thread at work and ran the http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/ghosting2.html test on my CRT here. Now my eyes are not the best but I would swear after looking at it that the red box is bounded by a black outline. If that is the case, is this really an inverted black ghosting but rather straight ghosting of the black outline?

Mind you, I do see the ghosting when doing this test on my Dec Gateway but if it is a black box, is this really a fair test? This looks to be a shockwave - has anyone had a chance to disect it? To be honest, I'm too lazy to go re-read everything to see if people have tested this on other LCDs as well...

Hey all - I by chance was following up on this thread at work and ran the http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/ghosting2.html test on my CRT here. Now my eyes are not the best but I would swear after looking at it that the red box is bounded by a black outline.
Yes, the box certainly does have a black outline. In my browser I can right click on the Flash and uncheck "play" and it pauses the animation -- the outline is easily visible.

Not sure what all this means in terms of the rest of your post, just thought I'd confirm that the black outline is in fact there.

How about we not turn this thread into some silly flame war.

Talonman, if you want talk about how much this monitor makes your dick hard go right ahead, no one's stopping you. But don't just dismiss other people's problems just because you don't have the same problems or their not improtant to you. If you had bothered to actually read my posts you would know I cannot return it. More importantly I'd rather not have to return it because I think overall it is a pretty good monitor. But I, and others, are trying figure out if this inverse ghosting is an across the board problem or just with a certain run. Is it something correctable? I have a Nov. model. Does that matter? I don't know but that's what I'm trying to find out.

What exactly have you tried to correct the problem? Have you tried messing with the different settings (desktop, movies, games etc.) to disable or lessen the effect of the Faroudja? Getting on the phone with Gateway and asking them if they considered it a problem and if it was possible to bypass/disable it would also be helpful.

You could also try and unload the monitor on Ebay. Sure you'll take a little bit of a loss on it but if it bothers you that much, its worth it. If something bothered me that much I'm sure I would've done something about it within 14 days, like so many others have done.

I have the monitor as close to perfectly calibrated as possible you can sans $300+ calibration program. I have even set it to exactly what others in this thread have and it's still there. Unless I have to radically distort the color in someway to make it go away (which would defeat the purpose of calibration) it isn't going away.

I have called Gateway. Their tech support is a joke (most companies are). They don't even have an 800 for their products bought from a third party store (good thing I have free long distance). Said they couldn't even toubleshoot since I didn't have a Gateway tower. The only thing they are doing is sending me another monitor. Called them friday so should be here tommorow or the day after. What's the problem then? If the new monitor has the same problems what can I do about it? I'm still stuck with a monitor that I see as defective.

Yes I could sell it on Ebay but then I would be knowingly selling someone a product I considered defective. I could of course put "defective" in the description but I doubt I'd get much of what I spent back.

All I want is some info on why this monitor is inverse ghosting while other makes do not. Many times there are service menus that maunfacturers have that allow to adjust things that aren't listed in the menu. Does this have that ability? Is Gateway aware of this and do they have plans to correct it? I don't know. That's why I am asking questions. If I can find the reason then in the future at least I can avoid buying monitors using this type of technology.

ok guys, I have had mine for 4 days now and have used it quit a bit. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. Before you take your monitor back, try a different video card for shits and giggles. My ATI X800XL is doing fine.

OK, My bad. Looking back I think I might have jumped a bit too hard in my post.

I guess I could have tried to make my point in a better way.

All I guess I was trying to say is I like coming back to this thread to share ideas, and mabey even what we enjoy about the product too. Last few days the majority of the posts have been about ghosting. If there is a new idea about some setting to solve it, by all means proceed. I would not want to interrupt that. It also is true that the people who arent happy are the most active posters. I was just trying to preserve mabey some of the 'fun' factor involved in a having a HD 24" screen, and the thread. I don't even think this is the 'best' display made, nor have I ever eluded to that. Heck, I want the 3 grand Apple display, and have an HP computer. I do think that our display is a good deal for the price that most of us are willing to pay. Just dwelling only on a negitive aspect of somethig tends to suck the fun right out of it. My 'Gateway fans unite' comment was merly an attempt to return some positive energy back into the thread. I don't care about Gateway, my only consirn was this thread headding south. My bet was 5 more pages of 'ghost' talk, and this thread would have been a ghost. :)

I guess for thoes of us who do like them, mabey don't want to just dwell on ghosting. I'm sure im not alone on this? I just thought mabey we could use a change of main topic.

I don't get to decide what topics are valid for discussion or not. Heck, I was an active poster on the subjuct of ghosting a few pages back. We ruled out the video card due to one of the boys having a top of the line card but still reported ghosting. When I get told to keep my posts to myself, I sometimes feel inclind to return the insult. Charector flaw on my part. :)

Please continue.

Also Piken (or anyone who recently bought this monitor), could you run a quick test? Make sure your monitor has been running for 20 minutes or so and then go to this link. Stand about 1 - 2 feet from the monitor and see if you see an inverted trail (it should be a light greenish blue) behind the red moving square. It should be obvious if it's there. Post your results if you can. I'm interested if certain model runs are different or are all of them have this problem.

Just to be a sport I tried the test. I found a tiny 1/16" to 1/4" at the worst light grenish trail behind the square. Nothing that would bother me playing a game or watching a movie. To me I am seeing a 'typical' LCD trail. Small, light, but there.

I have a Dec model, using Jarred's calibrated color profile, contrast at 61, brightness 87, gamma 0, and 1:1 on the moniter settings.

Video Connection Type : DVI (with HDCP)
Video Card is: NVIDIA’s GeForce 7600 GT (256MB GDDR3)
Graphics Card Driver : 6.14.10.9371
I run my desktop at 1920 by 1200, with 32bit color for my screen resolution.

If someone wants the criteria for whether or not the monitor is 'defective' to be how it runs that test, consider this. I picked up the Gateway this past weekend after spending an hour in Best Buy checking out everything they had. I put that test on my SD card and dodged blue shirts running it on ALL KINDS of monitors including a NEC 20WGX2 which, for some reason, they actually had for $599 (thats a $600 20" S-IPS panel).

I had my friend with me who is much more anal than I am and has better vision to boot. NO MONITOR including the NEC looked good on that test. As a matter of fact, unless you photograph the screen, they really all look the same. The test utilizes harsh colors and those oddly animated sprites (like the car) are really just a big blurry blob seen live. I even checked out that test on a CRT and it looked bad!

So Im wondering, what display PASSES this supposed litmus test? People are claiming their old monitor was "fine" on that test. I find that HARD to believe. The NEC panel and the CRT looked pretty much as bad, in motion, on all those tests as the Gateway. Im sure if you photograph the screen with a high shutter speed, there might be a difference, but does that REALLY translate to real world?

Another thing I noticed is most of the machines couldnt run that test at a high enough framerate in native res. As I look at the systems of the people on this thread, MOST do NOT have a system that can push 1920x12000x32bit color at a full 60fps - even on that dopey test. I noticed that as the framerate dropped, surprise surprise, the flicker became a lot worse.

Take it for what its worth, but after running real world tests on the Gateway - Everquest, FEAR, Vanguard, 3DMark06, HL2 and WoW (stuff I actually use), my Mac, XB360 and PS3, I have found there to be no issues with strange artifacting during gameplay.

I think that the people who have a real hardon for this monitor should just do a final return, stop buying/returning panels, and just try a different monitor. Theres no need to crap all over this model. Now that I tested it, and bought it, as I suspected, Im guessing the vast majority of people would find it perfectly fine. If this monitor drives you into a rage and you feel anyone who likes it should be committed, then you're not one of those people. That can happen and just means you need a different panel or a different technology alltogether (maybe CRT).

For anyone intested, my panel was a 1/07.

And PainBoy, what are you looking for? You're saying you've perfectly calibrated it, nothing short of $300 pro gear could do better, you CANT return it, refuse to ebay it b/c you cant with a clear conscience sell a "defective" monitor, you hate Gateway and their support, but then you say you just want to have "reasonable discussion"? And you are quick to claim that anyone who challenges you on that just has some burning need to "defend" this model. Ill tell you what... It sounds to me like you just want to rant and rave and, hopefully, prevent people from buying the panel. Thats completely the tone of your posts. Just look at the contradictions Ive listed and explain them if thats not the case. There is NOTHING left for ANYONE to tell you. You claim you just want to "see if it is limited to certain runs"? I doubt youd believe anyone if it was and, to behonest, I think nothing is going to change from Nov to Jan. The panel is what it is. The flaws that you detect are a feature of the panel. It may seem INSANE to you that some people dont notice/dont care, but thats the reality. It isnt that some of these panels behave differently. Its that some folks dont notice or dont care. Like ANY monitor, some HATE it, some LOVE it. Some who hate it let go and move on. Some make it a crusade. I think the thread is outliving its usefulness hence people starting to get frustrated and get a bit nasty.

To be honest, this thread is doing nothing for any potential buyer (I was one and followed this thread forever - it did ZERO for me except introduce confusion). Anyone following this thread as a buying influence - you are W A S T I N G your time. BUY the thing from somewhere that will let you take it back and LOOK AT IT YOURSELF. You cannot allow an annonymous quorum of strangers determine for you what you will like to look at everyday. This thread (and really - EVERY other thread on this WHOLE display forum) prove that EVERY model of monitor has very vocal detractors, very vocal supporters and people who say "seems ok". You cant know which of those you are unless you test it YOURSELF.

mlambert890 said:
People are claiming their old monitor was "fine" on that test. I find that HARD to believe.
It's not hard to believe. Like I mentioned earlier, the inverse trailing is caused by overdrive. Older monitors don't have overdrive, so the trailing is not inverse-colored, which makes it not as bad for some people. That's the complaint I'm seeing here, but it's normal and shouldn't be a problem in most cases.

Wow, intense. Yet so right the fuck on. I was going to go through the whole routine of posting pics and videos but I really don't see the point or even think I can take a good picture of a moving box.

I ran that test on all sorts of displays at work (IT Dept, LCDs everywhere from Dell, Acer, Viewsonic, Double view etc) and not one of the displays passed that, in fact my Gateway faired better than all of them IMO.

Hey, if someone finds out a service menu for this display that would be awesome btw, I love tinkering with settings.

To add some clarification, perhaps I wasn't clear in my other post.

I didn't say every monitor I tested passed the test.

I said the Gateway monitors were the only ones that ghosted/smeared/trailed a black/darkgreen while every other monitor trailed a color similar to the object moving.

Gateway = red cube moving with black trail

Gateway = white cube moving with black trail

Gateway = grey cube moving with black trail

Every other monitor = red cube moving with red trail (of varying degrees)

Every other monitor = white cube moving with white trail (of varying degrees)

Every other monitor = grey cube moving with grey trail (of varying degrees)

I'm not bashing the Gateway. I really liked the colors, brightness, features overall. My eyes were just way too sensative to the black colored ghosting/smearing.

I play an MMO called RF Online alot, and two of the maps in the game that I am on most often is alot of brown and green earth tone colors. Another is a white snow themed area, and its white on black, yeah it stands out.

This monitor gave me a headache on those maps. Had it been same color ghosting I would have been fine with it.

Again I don't knock the monitor, just not what I am looking for. I don't need a Holy Grail of LCDs to be happy.

Like I said earlier in this post, and now named by a previous poster, this overdrive feature on the monitor is love or hate. Some displays ghost the image with the same color, this display does it with black. Some people can obviously REALLY see that color, while others are most likely all but blind to it unless they focus and stare for it.

The overdrive, from the...nothing I know about it, must just compensate the ghosting by trying to blend it in and removing the color trails. I personally notice typical ghosting FAR more than any slight black smear.

What would be REALLY interesting is if you could disable this feature and see if the people who once loved it now hate it and vice versa.

Someone find a service menu or rip this bitch apart and see whats doing inside.

To be honest, this thread is doing nothing for any potential buyer (I was one and followed this thread forever - it did ZERO for me except introduce confusion). Anyone following this thread as a buying influence - you are W A S T I N G your time. BUY the thing from somewhere that will let you take it back and LOOK AT IT YOURSELF. You cannot allow an annonymous quorum of strangers determine for you what you will like to look at everyday. This thread (and really - EVERY other thread on this WHOLE display forum) prove that EVERY model of monitor has very vocal detractors, very vocal supporters and people who say "seems ok". You cant know which of those you are unless you test it YOURSELF.

I agree with most of what you posted except for this last bit. There's plenty of good info to help influence a buying decision if you know what to pay attention to. ;) Most rational people are going to look at potential deal-breakers and compromises when shopping for an LCD. Weigh the pros and cons and then test it for themselves. That's the only litmus test. But thats the beauty of this panel. Most anyone can drive 30 minutes or less and try this panel out for themselves. Its not going to be for everyone, and for those who don't like it simply need to pack it up and take it back for a refund. Nice when that process doesn't involve weeks or months waiting for a credit and paying for shipping.

There's no need to try and sweep problems under the rug; the inverse ghosting is something potential buyers should know about when shopping for a new panel. Then they need to see if its something that they can live with or not. I honestly dismissed it as normal since I only noticed smearing on light/dark or dark/light situations and my old panel is just black ghosting on everything. The shimmering is also something people should be aware of, although that looks like a problem that is dependent from panel to panel.

And Wasteomind, the Gateway isn't always dark trails, or else that wouldn't be inverse ghosting. In the Prad test, the trail off the red box is a yellow/light green for me. Personally I think the shimmering is an overdrive problem and the inverse ghosting is either the Faroudja processor or a problem with the timing of the 3 sub-pixels. Its also very dependent on the color of the pixel that replaces it and the resolution/quality of the image being displayed.

Back