Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

So is this the current running list of problems:

horizontal banding
buzzing noise
component 1080p is green or all messed up
backlight bleeding in corners
no HDMI

Can anyone comment on color accuracy and color gamut? I'd also like to see screenshots of video noise when playing movies/videos/DVDs.

shahidhaque said:
I got a PS3, and have it hooked up through component (PC is on the DVI). When I set it to 1080p, the screen goes green. Otherwise, it looks fantastic, with no ghosting.
crap, so it's not just the 360 :(

I just picked this monitor up a couple days ago from BB. They wouldn't let me use the 12% off coupon. To whoever was told it wouldn't scan, I'm betting it would since at least one other person on the forum has used it, he probably just wanted an excuse.
Anyway, I am very impressed with it so far, coming from an NEC CRT. I have not had a chance to mess with the 360 yet, but I'll try it with component tomorrow.

Ultimately this is supposed to be a high end multimedia monitor so why only have 1 DVI connection? Especially when VGA /S Vid etc will be slowly being dropped. HDMI will be more usefull in the future and as a universal conection instead on concentrating on the past and present connectivity options. Manufacturers could at least offer optional connections for an additional charge and I bet many would go for it.
Well, an HDMI->DVI adapter is like $5 from Monoprice.com and the cables aren't much more. The cables are nice and shielded, and remember that it's digital so you have no signal degredation. You can also get a switcher. Not the most ideal situation, but I'm not really sure why HDMI is considered superior to DVI when they carry the same signal. So what if HDMI supports a billion colors, your monitor can't display a billion colors.

I'm not yet sure how computers are going to handle that. I'm guessing it might be on an app by app basis? Good question.
From what I understand, it's all a giant hack in the Bluray/HD-DVD capable computers right now because of Windows XP. Part of the new Aero layer in Vista adds true DRM support for monitors. Unfortunately, just like with a TV, the computer needs HDCP support, which has to be part of the graphics card. This CANNOT be added in a driver update! It needs a unique DRM key assigned at manufacturing. Up until now, very few graphics cards support HDCP, namely a customized Sony 6600GT and maybe the new 8800? Don't know about the ATI side of things.

To test for banding I made a Granger Chart following the directions from this site.

1.18MB 1920x1200 http://tmc.kuyaglen.com/hardware/monitor/gateway24/Granger_Chart.png

There is a little verticle banding on the blue side and something that I can only describe as water ripple around the dark green/yellow area, but for me I know I'm not noticing in game unless I specifically look for it (get in the right place and look at the right direction etc).

photo of granger chart on screen (cant really tell with a camera shot)
gateway24_banding_05.jpg

{edit}

lol I'm stupid, its been a long day)

Paragon54 said:
From what I've seen and read of this monitor, I really like it except for two things: 1) No HDMI port, as I stated in an earlier post there are a number of new graphics cards that will be releaed in the next month or two that all have HDMI; and 2) The variable buzzing sound reported by a couple of its owners.

The main thing I like about it is that I can pick one up at my local Best Buy Store that's 10 minutes away from my house and if it doesn't work to my expectations, take the sucker back for an immediate replacment or get my money back. Monitors are the only computer component that I really despise mail ordering.

Regarding HDMI, you can get VERY inexpensive HDMI to DVI cables / dongles at www.monoprice.com ... sometimes buzzing can be due to the power condition being input to the display. My recommendation to those seeing this, is to try plugging the display into a power conditioning UPS.

Well I just got mine from Best Buy it is really bright !! There doesn't seem to be any stuck or dead pixels! Color Banding does not appear to be in mine as I look at it ,if it has any it is very subtle. No buzzing that I can tell from the monitor at all ! Haven't played any games but DVD looks great so far! Color is absolutely amazing!! Better than my Dell FP2001 and or my 2005FPW. There is some backlite bleeding at this time in the upper R/H Corner but not to bad ! I will make an opinion on this after I try it for a few days I'll see how much it changes over time! So far I am impressed with the out of the box performance!!

In regards to the gradient picture posted above, I see SLIGHT banding and I'm using a Viewsonic CRT. CRTs shouldnt have banding right? So I'm guessing the picture might be flawed?

Edman22 said:
In regards to the gradient picture posted above, I see SLIGHT banding and I'm using a Viewsonic CRT. CRTs shouldnt have banding right? So I'm guessing the picture might be flawed?

I didn't make any tweaks to Photoshop when I was following the site's instructions...

Here is the gray gradient image I used initially. I've also just now rotated it 90 degrees and beyond and I can't really see any banding.

graygradient.png

{edit}

ok, i've this time I've made another one but started with 16-bit RGB color mode, the first one was made with 8-bit color mode.

4.06MB http://www.kuyaglen.com/images/Granger_Chart_16bit.png

kuyaglen said:
I didn't make any tweaks to Photoshop when I was following the site's instructions...

Here is the gray gradient image I used initially. I've also just now rotated it 90 degrees and beyond and I can't really see any banding.

graygradient.png

{edit}

ok, i've this time I've made another one but started with 16-bit RGB color mode, the first one was made with 8-bit color mode.

4.06MB http://www.kuyaglen.com/images/Granger_Chart_16bit.png

Those ones look better, I don't see any bands with my crt.

Gateway 24" (x800pro dvi2vga adapter) & 21" (x800pro vga)

In this pic these are set to the same brightness/contrast/gamma settings. (brightness @ 67 / contrast @ 53 / gamma @ 30)
gateway_24_21.jpg

Here the brightness of the 24" is changed to 0 (zero), contrast @ 45, gamma @ 30
gateway_24_21r.jpg

{edit}

24" is using a DVI 2 VGA adapter, the one DVI connector is being used with my main gaming rig.

nice comparison...i have mine @ default...whatever that is...but it's incredibly bright

iketeru said:
crap, so it's not just the 360 :(

Don't forget that PS3 is not an ideal example of 1080p over component (hell.. even over HDMI). Read the latest news on PS3's video output issues. So it might be xb360+ps in the same non-HD-barrel. I hope :rolleyes:

milas said:
From what I understand, it's all a giant hack in the Bluray/HD-DVD capable computers right now because of Windows XP. Part of the new Aero layer in Vista adds true DRM support for monitors. Unfortunately, just like with a TV, the computer needs HDCP support, which has to be part of the graphics card. This CANNOT be added in a driver update! It needs a unique DRM key assigned at manufacturing. Up until now, very few graphics cards support HDCP, namely a customized Sony 6600GT and maybe the new 8800? Don't know about the ATI side of things.

Yea.... well, I have no interest in Vista really. Still, I'd be surprised if they let the video card do the HDCP and then output a full rez digital signal. That seems like it would defeat the whole purpose of HDCP in the first place.

So, hopefully, the DVD players or apps can just pass on the digital signal and communicate with the HDCP monitor, just like a real HD-DVD player would do.

I'm using MythTV, so I'm probably pretty screwed in this regard. :rolleyes: I doubt DVD Jon will be cracking HDCP any day soon. So, if and when I get interested in HD-DVDs, I'll probably just have to buy a normal hardware player for them. (Oh how I HATE DRM! I own every music I have, and every movie I have... yet I keep running into stuff I have to buy specialized hardware to play with all this DRM... ack!)

Oh fun!

-Steve

peTeMelster said:
HDMI 1.3 is more than just one billion colors.

http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp

Just get the converter cable... I don't see anything in that spec that would benefit this LCD (or any of these 24" LCDs). That might be a cool future thing... but it doesn't really matter if the end of the line display doesn't support any of it.

The only advantage at this point, seems to be if you like the type of plug on the cable better. Or, if they put a few DVI or HDMI ports on it so multiple things could be hooked into the digital inputs.

-Steve

Mysticode said:
Where can I buy this monitor in Canada?

Bestbuy has no idea when they will come in if at all and costco customer service said they have no plans to stock it but check the individual stores (?) this is in the Toronto area

now what's wrong with this picture?? :eek:

Does anyone know what panel this monitor uses? I see S-PVA in the first post, but what is the panel model number and manufacturer? I see nothing at flatpanels.dk or tft central about this one.

Well I tested it much more last night and the Light/Dark issue is actually the monitor leaving a Negative Trail of the color behind. Its leaving a purple mouse trails and shadows as brightly colored objects move around on the screen.

Its multicolored ~ Fire will leave purple, brown will leave Greenish/Clear and ive seen Yellow

Some places its slightly noticeable ( trees and ground) but other things like Fire and the mouse pointer for example will leave a deep Purple haze trail as you move it side to side.

:confused:

I lowered the Brightness and all the color settings from 100/100/100 to around 80 for each.

I'm totally stumped, Do any of ya'll have World Of Warcraft you could try this out on?

Can anyone confirm if this monitor has any tearing when using the xbox 360 at 1080p over VGA.

Btw I doubt europe will see this monitor before the end of the year. I contacted all the resellers in the UK and they`ve got no information on this new model so cant give an estimate when it will be available. :(

PaRaNoiDJaCK said:
Can anyone confirm if this monitor has any tearing when using the xbox 360 at 1080p over VGA.

Btw I doubt europe will see this monitor before the end of the year. I contacted all the resellers in the UK and they`ve got no information on this new model so cant give an estimate when it will be available. :(
What is tearing? Is it when it looks like the image gets separated during motion or something? I believe I have noticed this occasionally on the 360. But isn't image tearing a result of the graphics processor and not the display?

Can someone please tell me if banding is seeing steps in color gradients or is it actual strange lines appearing on the display? I don't want to say the monitor has horizontal banding if it doesn't really. Putting the monitor in Warm mode or lowering the brightness makes this color gradient stepping unnoticeable unless you get close to the screen.

I already tried the Xbox 360 1080p update. It makes no difference over VGA. The only difference I noticed was that using 1080p over component #2 in Zoom mode resulted in a stable image.

Again, about the HDMI. It's not really a flaw if the monitor can't utilize its benefits.

This monitor does use an S-PVA panel.

I actually can notice the buzzing if just my computer is running because my computer is kind of far from where I'm sitting. But it really doesn't effect me. I constantly have noise either from TV, music, or games. If the 360 is also running and there is no audio, I don't notice it, though.

I also do believe that there may be some washed out coloring over VGA but it is not detrimental and my be do simply to a higher brightness over that cable. I just say that because component looks darker (too dark over component #1). But I don't have any problems with the image over VGA. Gears of War looks fantastic. Does anyone have problems with it?

I personally believe that component #2 supports 1080p. I'm not sure what is wrong with component #1. It gives a green image and the images it does display are darker than component #2.

I have a question. When I set the 360 to 720p over component, the image has subtle flickering. Does anyone else have this? It doesn't really matter but I just noticed it.

Finally, the PS3... Did you test out a game that actually supports 1080p over component natively (I believe there is only one game but not sure which)? Unlike the 360, which is upscaling all games to 1080p, I don't believe the PS3 is upscaling or is not doing it consistently (yet). Frankly, it's not a definitive test. Doesn't anyone have a standalone HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player? Hmm, I wonder if it is the upscaling algorithms in the 360 update that is messing up the video on the 2485W?

What is tearing? Is it when it looks like the image gets separated during motion or something? I believe I have noticed this occasionally on the 360. But isn't image tearing a result of the graphics processor and not the display?

Yeah thats what tearing is and the problem I believe is down to both the GPU and monitor. The Dells have been known to show alot of tearing while at 1080p but this can be fixed by either downgrading to 720p or reduce the sharpness while at 1080p. But aslong as the gateway doesnt have a profound problem with tearing it`s still the monitor I want to get.

Also if possible could you take 2 pictures of the xbox 360 over component and VGA having the monitor set at the same setting for each. I`m interested in viewing the difference since VGA over my current monitor is dull and washed out.

Has anyone attempted to contact Gateway and ask/tell them about the 1080p issue over component? I mean it either supports it or it doesn't right, there is no middle ground. And if it doesn't, they shouldn't go around advertising it on their website since that's just plain false advertising.

Edman22 said:
Has anyone attempted to contact Gateway and ask/tell them about the 1080p issue over component? I mean it either supports it or it doesn't right, there is no middle ground. And if it doesn't, they shouldn't go around advertising it on their website since that's just plain false advertising.
I have, many times. The last time I asked them first, and they said it did. I showed them the web site, and they said it did. I then showed them the manual, and they said it still supported 1080p. They said the manual is subject to revision but the web site is correct.

How much was the cheapest someone was able to get this monitor from Best Buy as a normal consumer (if you used coupons, tell us which ones)?

Also, can I buy this monitor at the physical store, use it for a month, then return it for 100% refund? Even if my reason for return is, I just wanted to try it out for a month - nothing really wrong with it, except it didn't have the quality or features I hoped for?

You can just check bestbuy.com and click "pick up" and see what local stores have it.

I've never had an issue w/ returning anything (other than software ie. games etc.)

so returning it, should not be an issue

kuyaglen said:
24" is using a DVI 2 VGA adapter, the one DVI connector is being used with my main gaming rig.

I'm a bit confused by this.... one of them is VGA, or both are VGA? Do you notice the same extreme brightness (I'd say washed out even). over DVI?

Though, I guess from my reading about most LCDs... I think people tend to run them at only like 50-60% brightness. So that seems normal.

In that second photo though... you say brightness at zero? You mean at the default? Or, that you couldn't lower the brightness any more and it was still that bright (still looks brighter than the 2nd monitor.)

Thanks,

-Steve

FerretBoi said:
I lowered the Brightness and all the color settings from 100/100/100 to around 80 for each.

Hmm.... I think that still sounds pretty high. Most of the reviews and stuff that I've read on any of these LCDs indicate the best setting between like 50-70% brightness depending on the model.

Maybe you can find some calibration type sites or apps on the Net and use them to try and get it set to a proper contrast/brightness. Then start tweaking each color.

-Steve

SteveW928 said:
I'm a bit confused by this.... one of them is VGA, or both are VGA? Do you notice the same extreme brightness (I'd say washed out even). over DVI?

The X800Pro in my fileserver/2nd gaming rig has 1 dvi port and 1 vga port. The 24" is using a dvi-to-vga adapter to its vga port. The 21" is just straight vga.

SteveW928 said:
Or, that you couldn't lower the brightness any more and it was still that bright (still looks brighter than the 2nd monitor.)

Correct. This monitor is like frackin panel of light that shines down on you like god. :eek:
I turn off the light in my room and when I look at the things in front of me its like there's no difference.

kuyaglen said:
The X800Pro in my fileserver/2nd gaming rig has 1 dvi port and 1 vga port. The 24" is using a dvi-to-vga adapter to its vga port. The 21" is just straight vga.

Just curious... you did this to make them both VGA? I'm just wondering why you aren't running it via DVI. Also, wondering if DVI vs VGA would effect your brightness issue.

kuyaglen said:
Correct. This monitor is like frackin panel of light that shines down on you like god. :eek:
I turn off the light in my room and when I look at the things in front of me its like there's no difference.

Yikes.... well hopefully there are some other ways to adjust it down... maybe individual colors or some other setting... That seems way to bright to me for minimum. Unless I'm being fooled by the camera or something. But, it looks so bright as to be washed out. I didn't think other photos I've seen of it were that extreme.

-Steve

SteveW928 said:
Just curious... you did this to make them both VGA? I'm just wondering why you aren't running it via DVI. Also, wondering if DVI vs VGA would effect your brightness issue.

The one dvi port on the 24" monitor is being used by my main gaming rig.

SteveW928 said:
That seems way to bright to me for minimum. Unless I'm being fooled by the camera or something. But, it looks so bright as to be washed out. I didn't think other photos I've seen of it were that extreme.

Part camera (Canon A630), but it is a lot brighter. Tomorrow I'll try and take somemore pics as to compare the panel brightness/color settings along with connecting it to the Comcast HD PVR thats downstairs.

Well, I just picked up one of these at BB and it is amazing. It's VERY crisp and very bright. My unit has absolutely NO buzzing. I've tried it in a completely dead silent atmosphere with my head next to the unit and hear nothing; even when playing DVD's. This thing is great except one problem; it's just too damn big for me. I thought it would be a perfect size but coming from a 17 inch monitor, this thing is just massive. I will probably take it back just because I don't feel I need this big of a monitor. Otherwise, I highly advise getting this monitor; it's absolutely amazing.

OMG I've just found out that this boy is $720 including tax in my local BB :( 12% off coupon really doesn't work...

RyanGrob said:
Well, I just picked up one of these at BB and it is amazing. It's VERY crisp and very bright. My unit has absolutely NO buzzing. I've tried it in a completely dead silent atmosphere with my head next to the unit and hear nothing; even when playing DVD's. This thing is great except one problem; it's just too damn big for me. I thought it would be a perfect size but coming from a 17 inch monitor, this thing is just massive. I will probably take it back just because I don't feel I need this big of a monitor. Otherwise, I highly advise getting this monitor; it's absolutely amazing.

You should hold on to it for a few days ... true, the 24W is a HUGE step up in size from a 17 standard, but you will adapt. Gaming and web surfing are quite cool on a panel this size. Plus the monitor has other great features ... auto rotation, PIP (with auto hide), touch controls and a great speaker bar option. Don't give up yet ... once you get used to it, you'll NEVER want to go back to a smaller screen!!!

RyanGrob said:
You're joking right? :eek:

Wow, just picked one up at BB and it is quite nice, BUT, it buzzes like mad. Does anyone think this might go away or is it returning I go.

I've been using one for a couple of days now. Here's my observations so far:

1. Beautiful, huge display. Very sharp with great colour. Like others have said, it's exceedingly bright out of the box but a quick adjustment later, and you won't feel like your retinas have been burned into the back of your eyes.

2. No buzzing that I can detect at all. This was the big one for me; I had a 2185 last year, and the buzzing was just unbearable.

3. I see minor vertical banding in certain shades of blue, as posted previously, but nothing severe.

4. Very minor backlight bleed in a couple of the corners, but you'd need all the lights off and a completely black screen to notice.

5. Awesome stand, height adjustment, and rotation. Very smooth mechanically.

6. When I've got AA and AF on, I notice what I can only describe as a brownish ghosting effect at times. A good example would be the flag and teammate death icons in COD2 MP. I noticed some on EQ2 when I enabled AA and AF, but didn't notice it before. Gonna try reducing the filtering to see what effect it has. Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm using an 8800GTX.

I haven't tried my 360 with component, and I don't have the VGA adaptor, so I can't comment on those. Haven't tried DVD yet, simply because I don't watch movies on the pc any more.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this monitor. I tried the 2275 for a day or two prior to the 24, and it was nowhere near as good as this panel. Totally love this thing.

Back