Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

I wanted to point out an opportunity to save some money on this monitor.

Go to http://mywishlist.mylifemycard.com/

Everyday AmEx is offering coupons at 11AM, 2PM, and 6 PM EST. Yesterday, they offered a BestBuy $150 coupon if you spend over $600 at BestBuy. It should be pretty easy to obtain if they offer it again. I'm going to go back to BestBuy and ask them if they'll give me the $150 off or else I'll return the monitor and buy another one so I can get the $150 off.

pNin01 said:
I wanted to point out an opportunity to save some money on this monitor.

Go to http://mywishlist.mylifemycard.com/

Everyday AmEx is offering coupons at 11AM, 2PM, and 6 PM EST. Yesterday, they offered a BestBuy $150 coupon if you spend over $600 at BestBuy. It should be pretty easy to obtain if they offer it again. I'm going to go back to BestBuy and ask them if they'll give me the $150 off or else I'll return the monitor and buy another one so I can get the $150 off.

That would be pretty sweet, but you probably have to have an Amex card right?

Edman22 said:
That would be pretty sweet, but you probably have to have an Amex card right?
Yes, I think so. I'm not sure. My friend will give me his coupon when he gets it.

pNin01 said:
Better than that, why don't you simply ask them to connect a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player to this monitor in the store. I bet they will do it if they think they'll get a sale out of it. They may be annoyed but it's fine. Actually, I need to buy a router, I may go down there. But I'm thinking they may not even have these monitors on display. Gateway promised me that the monitor can do 1080p over component. They said the manual specs are subject to revision but what is on the web page is final.

Yea, if nobody has done it by Sunday, or maybe mid next week I might just go to my local best buy and try that. I'm too busy in the next few days or else I'd go right away. About them not being on display, you might be right. I've gone to Best Buy at least 3 times since Thanksgiving and everytime I go to the monitor section (just for fun) and I never saw it displayed and believe me a 24" gateway display isn't something I would have missed.

I'm thinking about getting this monitor pretty soon, but has anyone tried watching HDTV on it? I'll probably be using it more for TV/console gaming than attached to my computer (don't have a desktop right now, only a laptop).

Here are some back lighting pictures.
gateway24.044.jpg

gateway24.045.jpg

gateway24.046.jpg

You cant really tell by the pictures but this monitor does not have an issue with horizontal banding.
(my dumbass didn't think to rotate the image to verify vertical banding)
gateway24.049.jpg

My (2 years running) Natalie Portman wallpaper (made suitable for landscape and portrait mode) and other wallpapers from interfacelift.com
gateway24.051.jpg

gateway24.093.jpg

gateway24.052.jpg

gateway24.053.jpg

gateway24.054.jpg

Browsing two sites full screen:
gateway24.055.jpg

gateway24.056.jpg

Some games:
gateway24.057.jpg

gateway24.058.jpg

gateway24.062.jpg

gateway24.064.jpg

My monitor info:
gateway24.072.jpg

1:1 scaling with nvidia centered output option:
gateway24.073.jpg

gateway24.075.jpg

1600x1200
gateway24.067.jpg

1680x1050
gateway24.068.jpg

1280x1024
gateway24.070.jpg

Macro attemps at pixel level performance:
gateway24.077.jpg

gateway24.078.jpg

gateway24.079.jpg

gateway24.080.jpg

gateway24.081.jpg

gateway24.082.jpg

gateway24.084.jpg

gateway24.085.jpg

gateway24.086.jpg

gateway24.088.jpg

Browsing pictures:
gateway24.109.jpg

720p Serenity
gateway24.105.jpg

gateway24.106.jpg

gateway24.108.jpg

1080i Episode III
gateway24.060.jpg

PiP action:
gateway24.111.jpg

gateway24.112.jpg

Dreamcast gaming via VGA
Zoom (fills the screen but keeps aspect ratio)
gateway24.115.jpg

1:1
gateway24.116.jpg

Jaggies but on a game and a system bought on 9.9.99
gateway24.121.jpg

I dont have an X360 to try the component input so I tried the component output of my video card, but found out that
it maxes out to 1080i. The results were a fuzzy picture akin to down scaling the resolution to a non native res.
gateway24.096.jpg

gateway24.101.jpg

gateway24.102.jpg

Video action of the touch sensitive buttons and the sounds they make:

1:13 @ 4.72 MB http://tmc.kuyaglen.com/hardware/monitor/gateway24/gateway_touchbutton_menu_sounds.wmv

I'll be trying component with Comcast HD DVR and a regular dvd through component and S-video sometime later.

Yes, very nice pics kuyaglen. I may just keep my pre-order after all. :eek:

Nice pics..very much appreciated. This monitor just moved up a notch on my short list thanks to your pics. The battlefield (or whatever game that is) pics showed a lot of detail in the dark areas of the glove/gun which means the black level is good. :cool:

pNin01 said:
As far as all the talk about HDMI...

... the second argument is obviously useless because the BenQ and the Gateway won't do higher than their native resolutions.

... even capable of displaying more color data than what DVI-D is capable of?

I think those are great points! Your rez is limited by the native rez of the display... and if you can already do it on DVI... no advantage. Digital is Digital.

I think you are also correct about the colors. DVI can already handle more colors than I think these panels can do. I've even seen debates on whether these panels are 6-bit with dither, or fully 8-bit. Either way, I think DVI is plenty capable in that aspect as well.

-Steve

Yes, thanks kuyaglen for the pics! Looks very good. Will really be looking forward to your impressions of watching HD movies and regular DVDs on it.

Thanks,

-Steve

I saw one of these today at my local Best Buy...of course they had it hooked up to a very cheap computer with an even cheaper VGA card. I was even impressed with the picture quality and the monitor's capabilities using the trash system it was hooked up to.

Now it's down to two for me either this Gateway or the BenQ FP241W or WZ if it comes out soon. The only reason the BenQ's even up for consideration is that it has the HDMI slot...FOXCONN and a number of other vendors are just before releasing a bunch of new NVIDIA based cards all with HDMI and DVI so I'm not sure what to do.

wow great pics, i've been debating like everyone else on whether to get this screen or the dell 2407 wfp...

I'm going to pick one up from my local best buy and see how I like it...if not I'll just return it.

I'll post pics later.

Just got this monitor after returning two FPD2275W's due to backlight bleeding along top and bottom. First was as bad as the picture in this post and the second included a huge bleed up the middle. Took it back and got this one. Bleeding on this monitor is worst at the bottom left and upper right corners(looking from front). Acceptable though IMHO. In no way does it detract from the viewing experience like the 2275.

HD-DVD through from the 360 is amazing on this. Through VGA the colors are washed out a bit but I didn't really mess with the settings on the monitor since it doesn't remember settings for each input. Again no 1080p from VGA(of course) but I'm thinking it has to do with the 360 not sending a "correct" signal to the monitor as someone else suggested. Unfortunately I don't have another component to test it on.

Played a little Gears on it and I prefer the VGA connection over the component. Over component the picture just isn't as smooth. Again I'll need to fiddle with the settings with this as well. For now I'll do the VGA.

I also got to see this monitor right next to the 2275 at BB and the difference in picture quality was evident. We even switched computers to see if it was the gfx cards but the 2485 was that much better. In addition, I noticed that this monitor is a little "easier" on the eyes than the 2275. I believe this monitor is just a little smoother than the 2275. I'm not an expert on these things but I definately feel a difference.

Also, there is a buzzing noise but it's not bad at all. I noticed it cuz the 2275 was super quiet. You could also hear buzzing when switching inputs as well.

Overall, besides the "horizontal banding" with the 360 through both VGA and component, the picture quality is excellent, colors are vibrant, text is easy to read, and PIP is way cool, EzTouch is easy on fingers, numerous inputs. Just wish there was support for rotation on nVidia Mac cards. But for $598(12% BB coupon if you're nice) I'm happy(so far).

BTW, thanks to all for your comments and input.

I'll keep up with this post when I can.

um what is this 12% bb coupon you speak of?

I am nice, please give me 411 =D

I'm trying to pick one up tonight after work

1080pee said:
Again no 1080p from VGA(of course) but I'm thinking it has to do with the 360 not sending a "correct" signal to the monitor as someone else suggested. Unfortunately I don't have another component to test it on.

Did you mean no 1080p over component? VGA was working for some other people.

Thanks for the review.

Here you go.

The thing is they might give you slack because it doesn't list monitors on there. I kept saying that I'm using it as a TV and after about 10 minutes of back and forth my salesman finally got his supe to sign it off.

Good luck and pay homage to the BB before you go. ;)

the 12% best buy coupon offer for reward zone member, just print out the coupon with the UPC code and show the cashier your rz card and you'll get 12% off, though the coupon said it's good for tv 37" and up but I guess you probably can talk them into using it anyhow.

If you read closely it says "TVs up to 36" so if you can convince them it's a TV then you're set.

I'm thinking the Warm setting is pretty good. If the brightness is really high such as with "Game," I see some horizontal banding on the side menu in Windows XP MCE. I guess that is what banding is. The blue looks like a series of steps of different hues of blue.

Thanks for posting that 12% coupon.

pNin01 said:
I'm thinking the Warm setting is pretty good. If the brightness is really high such as with "Game," I see some horizontal banding on the side menu in Windows XP MCE. I guess that is what banding is. The blue looks like a series of steps of different hues of blue.

Thanks for posting that 12% coupon.
Is the horizontal banding only in DVI or is it evident while playing Xbox 360 over VGA/component?

dannyallen34 said:
Is the horizontal banding only in DVI or is it evident while playing Xbox 360 over VGA/component?
I didn't see any banding on the 360 at all with VGA or component, only on DVI-D with my PC in certain video modes such as Picture, Web, and Game. In less bright modes you can still that banding there but it's almost imperceptible.

1080pee said:
Here you go.

The thing is they might give you slack because it doesn't list monitors on there. I kept saying that I'm using it as a TV and after about 10 minutes of back and forth my salesman finally got his supe to sign it off.

Good luck and pay homage to the BB before you go. ;)

Is that link correct? I don't see any BestBuy coupon when I go to that link.

didn't work for me =(

I couldn't convince the cute cashier girl or the cute supervisor girl =(

the problem was that the barcode won't scan if it's not any of the "listed" items...

well setting it up now, I'll post pics in a few

Here's some pics, I <3 it! I don't have a 360 or any other console...I'm using it more as a TV/extra real estate for multi-tasking etc.

but the colors are so bright and crisp...much more brighter than my 17" WUXGA laptop screen

let me know if you guys want any other pics etc, as I'm only pushing the screen w/ a x1800 go

so here they are...

My AW laptop 17" both @ 1920 x 1200

awngatewayks7.jpg

awngateway2wb7.jpg

awngateway3ly3.jpg

awngateway4my7.jpg

awngateway5fs7.jpg

I was on the fence on whether to get this one or the dell 2407/acer/benq

well I went w/ this one b/c i could pick it up locally and if I didn't like it I could always return it @ BB (plus i'm an impatient bastage and I didn't want to wait haha)

nice setup, what's Transformers playing off of? and is it stretched to 16:10? i don't see any black bars...

haha yeah, I watch transformers the movie pretty religiously...not sure what the aspect ratio is, I used MCE and zoomed it to #3, but yeah this screen is AMAZING!...no complaints @ all

I've had a 17" envision lcd (very old 50ms or something ridiculous)

19" L90D+ and that was a great screen as well...

the colors are so vibrant...but I don't have too much experience other than the other 2 screens I had...so this is the 1st "high end" screen I've ever had/used

ben805 said:
Diammn....I had my heart set on this 24" Gateway, and it's good to know that the backlit bleeding is not a problem so far. But, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the 37" westy now. This Gateway with the extended warranty from best buy I'll be spending upward $850 after tax, but for about $300 more I could get the 37" westy with extended warranty along with free shipping. I know this sounds kinda stupid but pound for pound...err....I mean inch for inch, the FPD2485 cost $28.29/in, while the westy cost $27/in :p Beside, I probably won't notice that big of a jump to go from present 19" Samsung 930B to 24" Gateway, but if I were to get the 37" westy instead....POW! instant big screen upgrade in mah face LOL hmm...decision decision :D

You would be better off purchasing the monitor from www.gateway.com ... the extended 3 yr warranty only adds $29 ... with shipping the total is $764.98 ... depending on where you live, you will not have to pay tax as well ... I think that you will not be happy with the 37" westinghouse for everyday PC usage

a totally noob question...if I want to watch high definition quality movie from my pc without selling my kidney for blu-ray player, do I need to buy a upconversion dvd player to play regular dvd? or is this monitor going to automatically upconvert it to 1080i or 1080p? what if I hook up my 2yr old progressive scan dvd to it...will I only get 480?

Well, I bought this monitor last night. Setup was a breeze. The height adjustment mechanism is a little annoying if you don't have a screwdriver that's long enough, but easy enough to deal with. I haven't noticed any dead pixels or the like. Everything looks gorgeous! My previous monitor was a 17" non wide-screen LCD. What an experience moving up to the larger monitor! Everything is so immersive now!

I haven't noticed any input lag at all in either normal desktop use or games (I've tried HL2 and Oblivion so far). Mouse clicks seemed snappy. And if there was any regular ghosting, it certainly wasn't enough for me to notice it, and I consider myself picky about that sort of thing.

My only concern is that the monitor produces a quiet buzzing noise. It's only really noticeable/annoying if I think about it, and very easy to drown out with other things like music or game sound effects. I noticed that other people are reporting this too. Is this considered a defect that I should try and get a replacement monitor to correct, or is this normal? This is the only thing about the monitor I don't like.

The buzzing seems to be an alarming issue I find with this monitor. It's the main reason I decided not to buy the 2185 in hopes of the 2485 fixing this issue. I know earlier in this thread it was said to be improved, but how improved? If I'm just sitting there surfing the web, will I hear it? I can't understand why Gateway would use the same power supply if so many units had this buzzing noise.

Back