Gateway FHD2400

The 22" version is the HD2200. I ordered it on Thursday, I should be getting it on Tuesday (according to UPS). I'll let you know how it is when I get it, I also had the FHD2400, so I'll let you know if there is any major differences.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of a 22" version. I'd be wary of purchasing the same panel even in a smaller size, though.

As promised, here are some pics.

First, at my usual setting of 45 brightness:

image.php

Second, at Wayne's setting of 5 brightness:

image.php

As you can see, 5 is somewhat better than 45, but both are terrible in my view, and both appear significantly worse than Wayne's bleeding, I think. How does this compare to everyone else's?

It's way worse than when I first got it. I would not have kept it at these levels.

Again, I wasn't suggesting you turn your brightness down to 5, I was saying doing that from the beginning may be the secret to my success. Just a possibility.

What were your camera settings?

Again, I wasn't suggesting you turn your brightness down to 5, I was saying doing that from the beginning may be the secret to my success. Just a possibility.

What were your camera settings?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were suggesting that. I just wanted to see how it looked on your brightness setting.

I have no idea what my camera settings are -- I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to that stuff, as you can probably tell from the shoddy quality of the pics.

As promised, here are some pics.

First, at my usual setting of 45 brightness:

image.php

Second, at Wayne's setting of 5 brightness:

image.php

As you can see, 5 is somewhat better than 45, but both are terrible in my view, and both appear significantly worse than Wayne's bleeding, I think. How does this compare to everyone else's?

It's way worse than when I first got it. I would not have kept it at these levels.

If you are talking about the FHD2400, then your screen looks just like mine. I have it set to five brightness and my screen looks just like one you show in the image. I do however have the four year protection plan, so plan to trade in for a new one at some point.

So I took back my FHD2400 today to BestBuy and they acted like they didn't want to return it... Geek Squad actually took it out of the box to prove me wrong that it was fine. I explained the situation and they took it back...

But in regards to the last pictures posted, my first one looked worse than that...

Are there any good NON-TN panel 24 inch monitors available that have multiple inputs (ie composite, hdmi, dvi)???

The only problem ive had is red color shift

i just turned red down to 85

my settings are

Brightness- 100

Contrast- 100

Red-85
Green-95
Blue-100

Theyre not "accurate" at all but the image is really bright and vibrant

Ok so I have been researching about high def displays for over a month now. I purchased a samsung 40 inch lnt4069 lcd 1080p hdtv for 1400 over a month ago and I have been very interested in finding a more personal display for my own use, seeing that the 40" hdtv is shared between several people. I've have almost decided on a display and I think this one is it. I only need a few things cleared up and since there seems to be a lot of avid fhd2400 owners here and I've read a lot of the posts I think this is the best place for me to ask these questions.

1. I am looking to use the fdh2400 as a hdtv, I want to hook up my ps3 via hdmi and my vcr, which I use to transmit my cable to my tv via composite cables. I have an old tube tv and am ready for the upgrade. Has anyone connected plain, basic cable to the fdh2400 via composite cables? And how did it come out, your impressions? If you just have some advice on this subject please help, even if you don't have this hooked up like this, how to hook up basic cable from a coaxial cable?
2. I have heard that this monitor has 1:1 pixel mapping. Does it? I asked a few of my techy friends and one said it did and another said it didn't. So has anyone played a ps3 or 360 via hdmi and produced the image in 1920x1080 intsead of stretching the image vertically?
3. How is the glossy screen? Ive read online that people have mixed review of the screen and I have seen it in store and to me it looks fine, I have a macbook with a gloss screen anyway.
4. What is this talk about TN displays being so horrible? Is it old technology, because I honestly don't know what the hell you guys talk about? And since I've heard the viewing angle is sort of bad, what have you guys experienced?

Sorry for such a long post, i just want to get my facts straight. Thank you for any help.

I can't answer all your questions, but can tell you a few of my experiences:

I watch HDTV through an over-the-air receiver connected to my USB port (this makes my Mac a HDTV DVR), and HD looks TOTALLY AWESOME. I posted some screen caps in the first link below (I watch it in a computer window driven through my DVI port). Sorry, I have not used my component input, or any direct-to-the-monitor HDTV connection.

On plain, basic cable, I have my standard-definition DVR connected to my HDMI port in 480p mode, about all plain, basic cable and my SD DVR can do. It looks bad (noisy) compared to a computer input, but still has better sharpness and color accuracy than my old TV. The noise is not the fault of the monitor, it is just that standard-definition TV doesn't have enough data to fill out a monitor of this capability.

This monitor does have 1:1 pixel mapping, and I'm sure your game questions were answered in other responses, but I have no game consoles here.

I LOVE the glossy screen. This was my first. Sharpness, contrast, and color are much better on a glossy, but if you are in a highly reflective environment, glossies can be a problem.

There are 3 basic technologies used on today's flat panels: The high-end IPS (In Plane Switching), mid-range VA (Vertical Alignment), and low-end TN film (Twisted Nematic). All of these are TFT (Thin Film Transistor) technologies, which is all the manufacturer will usually specify. So, finding out -WHICH- TFT technology a panel is usually requires a little homework. The second link below will give you a site where you can look up what technology a panel is using.

Each technology has its own advantages and disadvantages, and also has several sub variations of the technology:

IPS is a good balance of everything, and superior on color and viewing angle, but Super-IPS displays can be up to 3 times more expensive. Because cost is King, they haven't been designing as many of these, so mostly only old designs without things like HDMI or HDCP are available.

VAs have been known for input lag, but otherwise are a reasonable compromise on many of the specs. These are very common.

TNs are the least expensive, fastest, and are superior gaming displays, but one of the drawbacks of this technology is backlight bleed (BLB). Everyone should expect a little, but large amounts are usually considered a malfunction. Another disadvantage is viewing angle. Consider this a personal display for a single person, as color and contrast can change with viewing angle. I chose TN because of cost and gaming speeds.

I've been a lucky one from the posts I've seen here. I am still very happy with this monitor, although even at my BLB levels, I wouldn't mind the bleed being a little lower. I don't notice it in PC mode unless I'm viewing dark photographs at full-screen. However, as this monitor has so many inputs, it can also be noticed when watching dark movies, or in the borders of anything that doesn't fill out the whole screen. If you aren't prepared for at least a little BLB, don't get a TN.

Hope that helps some.

HDTV Examples:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031836518&postcount=588

Flat Panel Technology Lookup:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

To answer your game console question, when hooking up my PS3 through HDMI, it did 1:1 fine... My first FHD2400 played Blu-Ray fine... my second FHD2400 had a problem however... sometimes it would play with a horizontal line through it... sometimes it wouldn't.

As far as what I think about this monitor, I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from Wayne. Just let me say this: this has been the very worst experience I have ever had buying a monitor.

5 inches of white back light bleeding is UNACCEPTABLE... Me driving to a different state to get the second revision of the same monitor, then to find out that it was experiencing the same problem, didn't make my experience any better.

My advice: Stay away from this junky TN panel monitor.

For the EZtune "Color Calibration" section.... Can anyone move the solid gray box around the middle of the color circle? (Just like in the tutorial)

I can't move it at all... I'm connected by DVI.

EZtune seems sooooo slow and unstable... using EZtune 1.51

It may be occuring on some ATI cards. Please click on the Help > Tech Support button and submit a support request so we can check out the configuration and verify it in our QA lab.

Darv

Darvin Atkeson
Manger, Technical Support
Portrait Displays

So, I recieved my second replacement from Gateway today...and this one had a big dead pixel dead center. I called Gateway and told them I'd be keeping the first replacement, despite the fact that the BLB had already started on this one, too. After being put on hold, the guy told me after speaking with a tech service person, "Larger monitors all have BLB, it's expected and a small amount is normal." I laughed and told him that there are plenty of other "large" monitors that don't have the problem, that I'd be sending back the new replacement with the bad pixel, and that I expect to be able to swap it again if they come up with a revision that isn't broken.

Thanks AV-wayne, that did help, but I'm not convinced yet. I mean is this BLB problem a real problem. I believe if it has any such BLB that return it for a new one, unless its very unnoticable. That is why I always prefer to buy things in store and not from newegg. I think that if I buy this monitor in store I could take it back if it had bad blb, plus I would definitely buy the warranty. So all in all, this does everything I need, so I think I'll get it, If I don't like it, hell send it back.

Thanks AV-wayne, that did help, but I'm not convinced yet. I mean is this BLB problem a real problem. I believe if it has any such BLB that return it for a new one, unless its very unnoticable. That is why I always prefer to buy things in store and not from newegg. I think that if I buy this monitor in store I could take it back if it had bad blb, plus I would definitely buy the warranty. So all in all, this does everything I need, so I think I'll get it, If I don't like it, hell send it back.

Well, from the posts here I think the BLB problem IS a real problem. I was either lucky, or people without problems don't take the time to post. Also, from your description "If it has any BLB I will return it", means this definitely is NOT the monitor for you. As I said, you can expect some light BLB, but you don't seem willing to accept even the normal amount, which WOULD be occasionally noticeable...

I am waiting for my replacement being sent from Gateway as well. The BLB got worse and worse every month that I had the monitor. It is now at the point where it is really unbearable to watch DVDs on the monitor.

When I first called Gateway the tech support told me he has never even heard of BLB. Then he put me on hold for 5 minutes or so and came back and said that it is a known issue with this model monitor and that ALL LCD monitors have some BLB. I told him mine was unbearable and he set up a replacement request.

V4oLDbOY: Again, as i stated previously, I drove to a different state and exchanged the 21r revision for a 22r revision and had the same problem with BLB. My point is that if it isn't wide spread, I should not have received a monitor with the same exact problem (if it was a fluke).

The BLB was so bad on both of my monitors that in the game "Crysis" the entire Heads Up Display at the top of the screen was washed out... you could not read it WHATSOEVER.

I had 2 or 3 tech savvy friends say that this is by far the worst monitor they have ever seen.

IN ADDITION, as the BLB gets worse, so does the viewing angle.

This must be a known issue as Crossbo stated, because Best Buy has the unit on back order still.

Ok I can see that the BLB is a real problem. To answer Av-wayne, I didn't mean if it had any what so ever. I really meant if it is was bad, I am expecting some BLB. But to be honest I have never heard of BLB until a month ago. I have never been a real visual display buff and I still don't see what the big deal with the BLB thing is. I looked at the monitor in store and it looked great, I did not test it for BLb though. I went to microcenter to pick one up and the last one was sold a few hours before I got there. I went to BB since they match prices (499) but they said they also had sold out of them, same deal with CC accross the street. I asked the guy at microcenter if there were any monitors that did what this one,fdh2400, can do. He said for the quality, no, none surpass it. I said well anything in your store that could be comparable to it, price wise. He showed me a samsung(245bw), but I knew I didn't want that one due to the 1:1 pixel thing. Then an acer($349), same specs as gateway but no hdmi, no component/composite, just dvi and vga, so that was out. A viewsonic, ehh, too expensive over 600. So he recommended to just wait until they get one in stock, he wasn't pushy at all, since they don't commission at that place.

Best buy actually had a pretty enticing monitor. An Envision L2410NM. But I went home to look it up first.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2141601,00.asp
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824255001
For 379 I think, it has hdmi, vga, component/comppsite, but no extra DVI, so I can only have one high def input, I'll get digital cable soon. So that was out, plus it got horrible reviews.

So if this monitor has such a bad BLB problem, can someone recommend a monitor that has the same spec or better that can do the same thing, has all the inputs, for 500 dollars or less. If you cant than stop putting down this monitor because it seems to be the best choice for my needs.

Or if you can recommend a cost efficient way to have basic cable go to a monitor via dvi or vga. I mean under 20-30 dollars. Some sort of way to convert a composite cable into vga or dvi. I will not have this monitor hooked up to a computer so a video card won't help, unless its a way to have it go through my macbook.

If there is a might go for a monitor with limited inputs but better quality.

can someone recommend a monitor that has the same spec or better that can do the same thing, has all the inputs, for 500 dollars or less.

Have you considered the BenQ G2400W? Meets your requirements and is priced under $400. HardForum thread here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1237718

User Comparo Review: http://www.drainweb.com/?p=95#more-95 It's a TN, but he reports no BLB issues.

Getting a fast, well inputted, affordable, non-bleeding 24" isn't as much fun as it used to be. Good Luck!

Have you considered the BenQ G2400W? Meets your requirements and is priced under $400. HardForum thread here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1237718

User Comparo Review: http://www.drainweb.com/?p=95#more-95 It's a TN, but he reports no BLB issues.

Getting a fast, well inputted, affordable, non-bleeding 24" isn't as much fun as it used to be. Good Luck!

I like that one, seen it before, but the composite/component inputs are not there, plus, I don't like to buy anything that I cant see in store. Does anyone sell it?

Man it is so hard finding a great monitor. I had my mind set on this one and I have changed my mind after reading all of these horrible stories about BLB.

For what it's worth, mine does have BLB, but it's in line with all of the other TN screens I see and it's not nearly as bad as everyone else is describing here. I'm still loving this bad boy.

I'm jealous of you guys because I love this monitor otherwise.

To be fair to it, last night I played a 360 on my friend's CRT HDTV. Aside from the obvious superior contrast of the CRT, the FHD2400 met or exceeded in some cases the CRT in all other respects.

I'm jealous of you guys because I love this monitor otherwise.

To be fair to it, last night I played a 360 on my friend's CRT HDTV. Aside from the obvious superior contrast of the CRT, the FHD2400 met or exceeded in some cases the CRT in all other respects.

Contrast is one of those things that will dwindle when you have excessive BLB. My contrast is great, my blacks are super-black. All but on the edges, where I do have a little BLB.

Contrast is one of those things that will dwindle when you have excessive BLB. My contrast is great, my blacks are super-black. All but on the edges, where I do have a little BLB.

Well, this is partially correct.

No LCD will ever match the blacks of a CRT in any event, though.

what I want is that pioneer plasma from ces. apparently the best blacks on a screen ever...

I picked one of these up last night. I do like it, but there is some BLB. I turned the brightness down a bit, which seemed to ease the BLB a little. Surprisingly enough, turning the brightness to 0 did little to affect the over screen brightness in my opinion. I was really planning on getting a 22' model because I plan on running games at 1680x1050, but after playing with this in the store, it looked fine on lower res. i still run the desktop at full res, because blurry text gives me a headache. It was a toss up between this and the HP, but I think this one was a better option. The touchscreen controls are cool too.

The BLB is annoying, I wish it wasn't there and I don't think it was as pronounced on my old display, however, i think it was more widespread on my old display. The only place I really notice it is along the top of the screen, maybe about an inch. There was 1 stuck pixel, which was pissing me off. I ran jpixelfix and it looks like it is gone.

Anyone think it is worth paying $60 for the extended warranty? i might go back to BB and pick it up. I always question that though, because if I get 2 years of use out of it, I can likely buy a better model for $200 if LCD prices continue to drop.

My BLB is less than others, and may be because I turned my brightness down from the get-go. So, kudos for doing that. You're right, it doesn't have much range when it comes to turning it down, though!

On the extended warranty, I say go for it. No matter how pronounced your BLB is today, it is a potential future problem. Look at it this way -- if you can claim excessive backlight bleed when you are ready for that next display, then you can get that next monitor for the cost of the extended warranty. :)

The backlight bleed is bad, yes, but I'm still happy with my purchase. There is no other option right now that offers me the ability to hook up a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and PC with everything scaled correctly, no input lag, and no tearing. The fact that it has backlight bleed is disappointing but that does not affect the functionality of the monitor.

My BLB is less than others, and may be because I turned my brightness down from the get-go. So, kudos for doing that. You're right, it doesn't have much range when it comes to turning it down, though!

I did the exact same thing when I got it. I think that's why there is no detectable BLB on mine. Even with the darkest solid black background I don't see anything like what others have seen or shown on this forum. I am really glad I picked this monitor.

I did the exact same thing when I got it. I think that's why there is no detectable BLB on mine. Even with the darkest solid black background I don't see anything like what others have seen or shown on this forum. I am really glad I picked this monitor.

And if that is the reason we've been spared, everyone should be reminded that each input has it's own brightness setting.

Reductant, BLB will affect the functioning of the monitor when the picture becomes so washed out you cant see anything. Both of mine were EXTREMELY excessive...

I have a feeling though that it has something to do with the brightness setting as Wayne said... It only makes sense that it is a heating issue if it is changing with time.

I ended up returning mine, as the stuck pixel came back and exchanged it for a new one. This one is stuck pixel free, but the BLB seems a little worse this time around. I bought the warranty and it's good for 4 years. The monitor just needs to break in that time or, hopefully, they will accept excessive BLB as a reason to exchange it. Personally, it bothers me when playing UT3, but other than the BLB, this thing is one of the most feature rich monitors out there. With all the inputs, usb ports, height and tilt adjustment (althought I like the HP stand better), and vertical/horizontal rotation, it sets the bar by which monitors should be aiming. The color is amazing too. The touch interface on the menu is slick. Best of all, at the distacne I sit form my screen, 24" is the most monitor I could enjoy.

I'll try and get some pics up. Anyone got a good site to host them?

my monitor FPD2285W pip has failed after 1year 2 month. im using the dvi and componet

pc and digital cable i got the exstended warranty from circuit city . my screen started buzzing and the picture in picture stop working. every thing esle is ok any ideas guys.:confused:

Back