Gateway FHD2400

On another note, I found a good dead pixel program and my FHD2400 does indeed have a dead pixel (found one so far, but I'm sure there are more) and some backlight bleed. So since I still have a few days left on the 14day return limit, I'm going to exchange for a new one at BestBuy (better not try and give me a hard time). You would think you wouldn't have to worry about these kinds of things when spending $600... :mad:

Also, when using VGA did does anyone else notice light snow/noise in the picture?

I don't t notice that. If you are using an Xbox 360 and have the camera attached, it could be that. I was like WTF is that snow but it was just the camera.

Dead pixels are a fact of life. I would personally keep returning until I had no dead pixels (as I do now) just so Gateway would get pissed off and raise minimum standards (average consumer will never notice these pixels, though). My backlight bleeding is worst over VGA but not so bad over DVI. I still need to calibrate this. Also, I got 12% off, so I got it for about $550 (I have ridiculous tax).

I paid about $565 after $30 off and with tax.

Anyway, I went to bestbuy and did the exchange without issue. When I got home I did quick dead/stuck pixel test and found none so far, I'll do another few tests later to be sure. However, I'm seeing massive amounts of snow/noise over HDMI/VGA now when using factory default settings, I'll see if adjustments will make it look better. Since it is day time now, I'm not able to test for backlight bleed yet.

Anyone else have lots of snow/noise of HDMI/VGA? (Folding@home, in the ocean, has lots of snow)

EDIT:

Factory Defaults:

Theme: User
Brightness: 80
Contrast: 50
Saturation: 50
Tint/Hue: 50

I got mine today and I don't think I could praise it more, the FPD2485w I had wouldn't do the 360 at 1920x1080 period, I tried out 2 separate monitors and they both did the same thing, one was a Feb 07 model I'm not sure what the other one was though.

Anyway, I got the FHD2400 up and running and plugged the Xbox in and had no problems whatsoever, so it was definatly the FPD2485. The colors on this thing look phenomenal I couldn't be more pleased, it does have an ever so slight color change that occurs when I slouch, but it seems to be only noticeable on darker scenes its a little weird, but this is my First TN panel and Love it to death (in the hour and a half i've had it..)

There is a slight bit of ghosting with overdrive turned off, but when its enabled its completely gone. it doesn't seem to get near as hot as the FPD2485 either. It does have some back light bleeding but it doesn't bother me at all, overall I love it, 1:1 works great, 1080p works great, colors are insain, tons of USB, and I dont notice the blurry text thing at all though. this is one slick looking LCD.

Also, did anyone try 1080i over HDMI with the PS3 (or xbox 360)? I tried 1080i over HDMI with PS3 and the picture was extremely blurry and it image looked to also jump up and down.

Why are you using 1080i? I have never tried 1080i but I have played my 360 on 1080p through vga and component with no problems and my PS3 at 1080p using HDMI with no problems.

May I ask where you got your HDMI cable? I had a friend who had similar problems after getting a cable from Radioshack?

Also does anyone have or know a resource on how to take a picture of a monitor and the image on it? I try and try again to take a picture but they all come out very badly.

Could the snow be due to the theme your using? Try keeping it on Warm or Cool as that seems to have the least effect. The other themes can cause some weird things to happen on some images.

Well, normally I do use 1080p, 720p, or 480p. However, I was using 1080i to see how it looked vs. 1080p. But, like I said, it was extremely blurry and it image looked to also jump up and down when using PS3 HDMI 1080i.

As for my HDMI cable, it's a $100 Psyclone Competition Grade Xbox 360 HDMI Cable...
(using their xbox 360 cable since it's 1.3a HDMI - the PS3 one is 1.3 HDMI)
http://www.psyclonegamer.com/products/index.asp?brandtype=competition&id=1336

Yeah, I was trying to take pictures too. But my camera is 1.3mp and the monitor doesn't come out too good so I can't show the image of the snow over VGA/HDMI that I'm talking about.

How much did you guys pay for yours? I might go check it out...but 500+ for a tn panel scares me :eek:

Why do you call it a "TN" panel? What do you mean by TN?

Also what is the difference between the FDH2400 and the FPD2485W?

I was originally planning to buy a FPD2485W, but now these FDH2400's are out.

Now i'm debating which to buy?

Still trying to sort out my VGA/HDMI snow issue here.

Called Gateway (don't call they are useless and rude) and they said the monitor is supposed to come with a DVI to HDMI or VGA to DVI cable in the box. Did anyone have one of those in their box? She also said retailers are opening the boxes taking them out, and resealing the boxes.

They also gave a hard time with the PS3 saying that its HDMI is not a supported device and they can't help. However, since I have the same snow issue with VGA an my notebook, it can't be the PS3 alone.

Also, I was told you CAN'T have have more then one cable plugged in at a time. I.E if you have VGA and HDMI only use one at a time.

That sounds like B.S to me and the people at gateway TS are clueless...

Why do you call it a "TN" panel? What do you mean by TN?

Also what is the difference between the FDH2400 and the FPD2485W?

I was originally planning to buy a FPD2485W, but now these FDH2400's are out.

Now i'm debating which to buy?

A "TN" panel is type of panel the manufacturer uses to build the monitor. A "TN" panel is on the lower end of the spectrum as far as quality and picture goes.They seem to be used more for gaming. However they seem to be getting better as time goes on. The TN does have a restricted viewing angle. S-PVA and S-IPS are on the higher end of the spectrum with better viewing angles. I have the 2485w and use it as a TV and gaming. So far it been pretty good to me with a few minor issues. I would like to see how it compares to the FDH2400.

If anyone has both gateway 24" monitors and wants to do a side by side comparison that would be very helpful.

after a having my FPD2485W for a few days I traded it in for the FDH2400.

the FPD2485W for some reason would not work with 1080p at 1:1 on my 360 (Feb 07 model) but the FDH2400 does it with NO problem. it does have a slight Color effect when I'm not viewing it head on but I only notice it on very dark colors (blacks and dark Grey's) Colors themselves don't seem to have a noticeable effect on it.

There was ghosting on the FPD2485W but with overdrive on the FDH2400 I don't notice anything. If I take my cursor and run it over the dark Grey in this forums I could see it with overdrive turned off (same with my FPD2485W) but when I have Overdrive on I don't see any what so ever.

Color wise I prefer the FDH2400 I love the glossy screen, everything just has such a vibrant pop. I love the design of the FDH2400 much more than the FPD2485W, and it still has the 90* tilt function with HDMI.

The color shifting thing doesn't bother me at all, and I love the vibrancy that the FDH2400 has. it's a winner in my book.

That Ez-Tune should be called Ez-Ruin. Depending on the position of your head, the brightness and contrast varies tremendously. In addition, the program is useless. If I followed the prompts/recommendations, the monitor would be dark and blue...The monitor is best left at its default settings.

after a having my FPD2485W for a few days I traded it in for the FDH2400.

the FPD2485W for some reason would not work with 1080p at 1:1 on my 360 (Feb 07 model) but the FDH2400 does it with NO problem. it does have a slight Color effect when I'm not viewing it head on but I only notice it on very dark colors (blacks and dark Grey's) Colors themselves don't seem to have a noticeable effect on it.

There was ghosting on the FPD2485W but with overdrive on the FDH2400 I don't notice anything. If I take my cursor and run it over the dark Grey in this forums I could see it with overdrive turned off (same with my FPD2485W) but when I have Overdrive on I don't see any what so ever.

Color wise I prefer the FDH2400 I love the glossy screen, everything just has such a vibrant pop. I love the design of the FDH2400 much more than the FPD2485W, and it still has the 90* tilt function with HDMI.

The color shifting thing doesn't bother me at all, and I love the vibrancy that the FDH2400 has. it's a winner in my book.

Could you possibly see how it works as a TV? I wanted to see if you can view the screen from a distance since its a TN panel with restricted viewing angles. The 2485 works pretty good as a TV. Mine does 1080p over VGA for the 360. Its was built Jan 2007. No dead pixels and very little inverse ghosting.

If you're looking for great speakers for the price (gateways speaker bar sucks) , try these logitech Z4's which work great, have a seperate volume control and match the scheme of the monitor. Check for rebates !!! I got them for $49.99 after rebates.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Logi...34117/catOid/-17141/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Try this site for great deals and rebates:
http://www.slickdeals.net/

is this best 24" gaming LCD out now or what?
If not, it's a close contender for the top position. I guess it depends on you needs, but for certain features it definitely has all others beat. If I was in the market now, I wouldn't be considering any other 24" display.

BB lists this at 550 though-isn't that getting really into the upper limit on 24s for a TN panel?

At this moment, this is the best 24" monitor. However, bumping it to 30", the Dell rules.

If not, it's a close contender for the top position. I guess it depends on you needs, but for certain features it definitely has all others beat. If I was in the market now, I wouldn't be considering any other 24" display.

In my opinion the monitor lacks really nothing. I know there are people that can't stand the viewing angle / the tiny bit of color shifting, to me I don't get bothered by it.
Some people also don't like the glossy screen, but myself and others consider that a desirable feature.

well i was looking at a 22", but my 19" 4:3 actually has more physical display height than 22" 16:10, so I think im gonna jump straight to 24". will newegg ever carry this mode?

Well, I'm going to give my $0.02 worth since I've already traded in my old 24" Gateway for this. On top of the fact that Best Sucks told me I couldn't trade my monitor in, they finally broke down and exchanged my old one. I really had to set my foot down on that one. But it all worked out.

The panel. It shocked me at first on how bad the viewing angles are. Man. it's the first time I dealt with a monitor this big with a "TN" panel. I thought the screen was the darkest shit I've ever seen. I was about to go back and turn it in. But I told myself that I should have expected that.

After playing Team Fortress on it for a couple of minutes and adjusting the monitor's height and stuff, it has about the most vibrant colors out there without touching a single thing. Now it's a bit off on the yellow as I see a bit of green in it, but you can calibrate that completely. But the blacks and red...

WOW.

I was really surprised. I had the other Gateway doing the bulk of the work as far as connecting the DVR, 360 and PC to it. For now, it's going to do the same until I get my Plasma in about 2 weeks or so. But it holds it's own. Now comes the good part.

For the guys holding on to the old Gateway...Turn it in. If you're sitting close to it, gaming and HD...Get it. DOn't think twice about it. The inverted ghosting? A thing of the past. This thing is sick. I was playing Rainbow Six Vegas on it and that was the game that ghosted the most for me and you know what? No Inverted Ghosting. The black running around on your character and even off of regular 1080i football and shit. Nothing. This panel is solid.

What sucks is the viewing angles. If you sit a bit far away, don't get it. If you're on top of it and some, then get it. I really like this monitor. The whole "TN" panel thing is showing me what it is, but it's not stopping it from be a great monitor. It's incredible.

Now, you will sacrifice a Component Input. The old one had everything on it. This one has HDMI, DVI, VGA and one Component input. It doesn't have 2. But the HDMI takes it's place. And that's a very good thing.

Overall...This is more than a "KICK ASS" monitor. It's sick.

If that's samsung then I couldn't tell ya. I don't or haven't owned a samsung monitor. What makes it dark is the angles. When you view it dead on then it's an impressive image. It's bright. But say for instance on my panel, if you sit a bit below it and you can't move it to where you want it to be then yes, it begins to darken up. Looking at it from the sides isn't as bad as looking at it from the bottom or top. Top, it brightens up too much.

Ask the place where you're buying it from to let you test it out with a good source. It's impressive when you get it tweaked and the right resolutions. The 360 1:1 is sick. Just like the old gateway 24". Only thing is that it doesn't ghost like the old one. Oh, and the colors are a bit more vibrant.

If anyone has this for image editing like photos and stuff, can you guys help me out with the settings? Right now it's looking a bit too red for my liking. I have mine on 80 - 50 and needs to get some Red, Blue and Green settings.

hey guys ... after deciding to go back to 24 inch instead of the 30 i bought this monitor today and wow ... its amazing.

Can someone help me find if there is any dead pixels or bleeding?

hey guys ... after deciding to go back to 24 inch instead of the 30 i bought this monitor today and wow ... its amazing.

hey do you think its dark like the other guy said?

dark? hell no .... this thing is bright

I came from a 23 apple cinema display and i never experianced this good of a monitor till now.

I still need help with checking for dead pixels and bleeding?

Actually you know what ... i just tested out my 360 through the component and its semi dark but it doesnt bother me.

I didn't say it was dark. If you read the post, it has some angles that show it's TN panel. It darkens up if you're not completely in direct view. It's bright and colorful. But it does suffer that TN issue as far as angles go. But don't get me wrong, the brightness is there and the colors are vibrant. The panel is great and no ghosting what so ever.

I just need to tweak it a bit. I'm looking for some good settings.

I have the 360 through VGA. I'm getting the HDMI for the DVR until I get a BluRay player or PS3.

i just tried connecting my usb mouse through all(x4) of the usb ports .... no light on the mouse? anyone having this problem or am i just not doing something right?

You got it? What's your overall opinion of it and where did you get it from?

i just tried connecting my usb mouse through all(x4) of the usb ports .... no light on the mouse? anyone having this problem or am i just not doing something right?

I may sound like an asshole but, there's a USB cable that comes with the monitor, you have to plug that in the back (if you haven't already lol). Then the usb ports on the monitor should work.

i didnt see any usb cable?

all i saw was a dvi / hdmi / power / and i think a vga cord.

anyways im trying to find the optional speaker right now, i want one.

i didnt see any usb cable?
If the box didn't contain it, then you need to locate one and connect it between your monitor and computer, otherwise you won't get any USB device working when hooked up to your monitor.

Back