Gaming Performance In Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read some posts stating that some people were experiencing higher FPS and generally better performance in games with Windows 7 compared to Vista or even XP. Can anyone confirm this?

crysis is faster,farcry2 is smoother,no stuttering.it works great so far for a beta no problems what so ever

one problem digital display will not work,didn't in vista.can not tell differance anyway

Hmm anyone recommend Windows 7 for new i7 gaming builds? Is it ready for the hardware or are there still some glitches?

Reason I ask is cause I don't want to spend $200+ on Windows Vista lol...

Even as good as Windows 7 seems to be so far, I wouldn't recommend it as your primary OS since it is only Beta 1. I would wait at least until the RTMs.....

well since WIndows 7 is a more refined vista, yes, i could see why, the OS uses less resources... so it is likely.

^^^ i 2nd, it is great and largely based off vista, but still, when they tell you to back up all your MP3 cause it could screw them... i can wait!

I wouldn't sit around and wait for Windows 7 if you are thinking of building a new computer now. You could get a cheaper license for Vista and use that until Windows 7 is fully released and ready for the prime time. You don't have to spend nearly $200 to get Vista.

Actually I have to disagree with DeaconFrost about waiting for Windows 7 final before getting a new PC. I would wait unless you really want/need the machine now. Waiting is always your best friend when it comes to computer hard plus it allows for time to get drivers and the like ready for Windows 7, though that doesn't look like its going to be nearly the issue as it was with XP to Vista as Vista drivers pretty much work on 7 though there are some that don't.

It doesnt work well in Prince of Persia. It ends up going into a weird slow motion and then fast fowards. Also has minor graphical glitches like making the girls hair a glowwy orangish color like you would expect if light was shining through it.

Not all games work so you are taking a risk. Since there arent any real drivers for 7 yet then I bet the first set will fix most or all of the glitches.

it allows for time to get drivers and the like ready for Windows 7, though that doesn't look like its going to be nearly the issue as it was with XP to Vista as Vista drivers pretty much work on 7 though there are some that don't.

There shouldn't really be much issue with drivers in Windows 7, no, since it uses the Vista driver model. Similarly, XP benefited from reasonably mature Windows 2000 drivers when it launched.

So, if Win7 gives a better gaming experience because it uses less resources then why did I have to get into a shouting match with people here when I claimed not running AV in the background and unnecessary background crap while gaming also gives a better gaming experience? Seems to me that perhaps I know more than some people here give me credit for.

So, if Win7 gives a better gaming experience because it uses less resources then why did I have to get into a shouting match with people here when I claimed not running AV in the background and unnecessary background crap while gaming also gives a better gaming experience? Seems to me that perhaps I know more than some people here give me credit for.

Or.....just install a low system impact antivirus...like NOD32 or AntiVir.

If I recall, it was that thread where someone put a link to an article showing benchmarks of some popular games while running several different antivirus products..and it showed many of them really didn't affect performance at all.

Back when I used to use a heavier antivirus...(Symantec Corp Edition)...I'd simply disable the real time protection when I went online gaming...when done gaming, I'd right click and enable again. If I recall in your thread, you ran your system without any AV installed.

crysis is faster,farcry2 is smoother,no stuttering.it works great so far for a beta no problems what so ever
I wonder how much of that is in your own mind though. why would those games run faster not to mention smoother in 7 then they do in Vista?

Are there any actual gaming benchmarks available? (Windows 7 64-bit only. 32-bit is dead)

Oh for the love of....here we go again.

It's not because Win 7 uses "less resources". Sounds more like the fact that it's a fresh OS install to me.

If you have to argue your stupid AV thing again keep in mind that Windows 7 is far more streamlined. More mature and optimized code. New kernel optimizations. And you're basing your conclusion off a single person saying "crysis is faster, FarCry 2 is smoother, no stuttering" without any proof to back up those claims.

Does anybody honestly believe they'll see any huge increase in gaming going from Vista x64 to Win 7 x64? I sure don't. I expect it to be pretty close to the same because the driver model is the same meaning the drivers will be relatively the same and even now Vista and XP are relatively close to the same speed on completely different driver models.

It's not because Win 7 uses "less resources". Sounds more like the fact that it's a fresh OS install to me.

If you have to argue your stupid AV thing again keep in mind that Windows 7 is far more streamlined. More mature and optimized code. New kernel optimizations. And you're basing your conclusion off a single person saying "crysis is faster, FarCry 2 is smoother, no stuttering" without any proof to back up those claims.

Does anybody honestly believe they'll see any huge increase in gaming going from Vista x64 to Win 7 x64? I sure don't. I expect it to be pretty close to the same because the driver model is the same meaning the drivers will be relatively the same and even now Vista and XP are relatively close to the same speed on completely different driver models.

I agree with you completely.

Actually I have to disagree with DeaconFrost about waiting for Windows 7 final before getting a new PC. I would wait unless you really want/need the machine now.
Waiting is always the hard part. Let me rephrase a bit. I wouldn't wait on the computer just because of an OS choice. Vista is a perfect choice for a new computer, and can be had for a decent price these days. Besides, if you are building a new computer, you can always get an OEM license for Vista on the cheap, and use that until Windows 7 is out. I'm just saying I wouldn't wait for the hardware simply because of the OS options. If I wanted or needed a new computer now, I'd buy one now.
Seems to me that perhaps I know more than some people here give me credit for.
Nope, I don't think that's the case. If you stopped to read what people said, let go of your "I-know-it-all" attitude and listened to some facts, you'd be surprised how much you'd learn. As mentioned, Windows 7 isn't going to be faster because of less resources. It is due to optimized code, improved upon what was part of Vista. As for your AV comments, it's been put to bed by everyone but you, so there's really no point in discussing them any further.

Hard to learn anything from system admin types who are not hardcore gamers. I know gaming machine setups and you know secure setups for noobs. Well, I know both but gaming systems are my forte'.

It doesnt work well in Prince of Persia. It ends up going into a weird slow motion and then fast fowards. Also has minor graphical glitches like making the girls hair a glowwy orangish color like you would expect if light was shining through it.

Not all games work so you are taking a risk. Since there arent any real drivers for 7 yet then I bet the first set will fix most or all of the glitches.
Where in the game did you see this? It's been running just fine for me.

While the driver the driver model for Win7/Vista and the vast majority of drivers for Vista should work fine in Win7, there are exceptions here and there.

Actually I can't think of a better reason as to when to build a a rig as the launch of a new OS. It gives the user the chance to put together a system with components that have that OS in mind. One of Vista biggest issues with end users upgrading was the lack of or poor quality drivers. If you put a system together from scratch you can almost entirely mitigate that problem buy simply getting components that work well with the target OS.

Klob said:
Hard to learn anything from system admin types who are not hardcore gamers. I know gaming machine setups and you know secure setups for noobs. Well, I know both but gaming systems are my forte'.

Wow...just wow. Claiming to know more about gaming machine setups just because you consider it your 'forte' and because some of us are system admins. That's a sig worthy comment if I've ever seen one and it'll be mine as soon as they fix the forums.

Who's to say we can't be both a systems admin and a hardcore gamer? I certainly wouldn't be playing with a multi-gpu setup if I was a casual gamer. I wouldn't have spent all those hours gaming when I did CAL for a few years as well or all the time I spent playing MMO's. Because MMO's are certainly not something for the casual gamer if you expect to do anything end game based which I did plenty of.

And for "hard to learn anything from system admin types" there were multiple people including myself that explained exactly why Windows 7 will be slightly faster then Vista. It's why XP was faster then Windows 2000 and why Windows 98 was faster then Windows 95. And it has nothing to do with system resources. If you don't want to believe us that's fine but do yourself a favor and read up on it.

Thanks for the laugh.

And thanks for taking the time to respond. I was going to modify my earlier post to say pretty much the exact same thing but I was too busy being a sysadmin...

Good laugh for sure. :)

Took me awhile to write the reply for the same reason as you. I'm busy recovering some machines. Testing the redundancy piece of the new software package we're testing. And on one of them it's not going so well. One of the databases isn't correctly writing the transaction logs. So now it's time for a phone call to the vendor...YAY!

Well stated. The "newer is automatically better" effect is taking root.

Wow...just wow.

Stop talking in internet cliches, it gets old real quick.

You know why a console can run games smoothly with less resources than a PC? If you know the answer to that question then you know I am right and you are wrong.

And thanks for taking the time to respond. I was going to modify my earlier post to say pretty much the exact same thing but I was too busy being a sysadmin...

Good laugh for sure. :)

You know, I would love to take the gloves off and give some of you some much needed verbal beatings but this is a moderated forum so my hands are tied, unfortunately.

You know why a console can run games smoothly with less resources than a PC? If you know the answer to that question then you know I am right and you are wrong.
Let's just assume this is correct, and ignore the fact many console games suffer from stuttering as well.

If you want a true answer, it has nothing to do with resources. It has to do with the fact that every Xbox 360 out there is identical, in terms of hardware and operating system. The code can be tweaked and optimized to run on that EXACT hardware setup. A PC game needs to be able to handle two different brands of processors, several chipsets, a myriad of graphics processors, an even larger group of sound cards, etc.

If you truly think your statement's answer is that a console uses less resources, you just confirmed, once and for all, you know nothing about the topics at hand.

Stop talking in internet cliches, it gets old real quick.

Perhaps you should double check the answer on that then you'll see that you're wrong yet again.

DeaconFrost has it exactly right. Console games are highly optimized for that specific hardware. Meaning they only have to deal with a single set of hardware. A single driver version. It has nothing to do with resources. And console games have their fair share of issues and stuttering as well.

Oh I love the comment about how some of us need a verbal thrashing or something to that effect. Why don't you just prove us wrong instead? Wouldn't that be better then calling somebody names on a forum? LOL

You know, I would love to take the gloves off and give some of you some much needed verbal beatings but this is a moderated forum so my hands are tied, unfortunately.
Well, if you've got something logical to write, then by all means, write it. As it stands, your posts thus far have not indicated any real knowledge or grasp of the topic being discussed in this thread.

Re-read your post. Seriously, what point were you trying to get across? There's nothing informative there, just some assumptions about our (sysadmin types) knowledge and abilities. When you decide to post something intelligent, we'll respond in kind.
Klob said:

The bottom line is there are many improvements in Windows 7 which translate into a better gaming experience. I'm not seeing more FPS, but I am noticing smoother game play. At the same time most operations seem smoother in Windows 7, which tells me the kernel and scheduler are better optimized in this version of Windows (which is a given if you read MS developer blog posts). As always YMMV since we're all running different hardware configurations. I went into the beta expecting the worst with my configuration and was really surprised at how well things ran. Correction, how much BETTER things run on my configuration.

More efficient hardware architecture is only part of the reason. Having low OS overhead is also of benefit. Anyone who thinks all those background apps like AV has no negative impact is out of touch with reality. The PC has to use brute force to get the same performance that a console can do on much less computing power.

Having low OS overhead is also of benefit.
By that logic, my Smartphone should be the best gaming device around, right? Right? It is the hardware optimizations that make gameplay smooth on a console. Even then, as mentioned, console game can and do have their issues with performance as well.

Someone's definitely out of touch with reality however, and it isn't any one of us. It is pathetic to see you still clinging to this notion that AV software hurts gaming performance. You've been given proof upon proof that this isn't true, yet you still argue it. You're wrong, plain and simple, so let it go. You are acting like a spoiled little kid who didn't ge tthere way, so they went off in the corner, kicking and screaming. Be an adult, accept that you were wrong, and move on.

More efficient hardware architecture is only part of the reason. Having low OS overhead is also of benefit. Anyone who thinks all those background apps like AV has no negative impact is out of touch with reality. The PC has to use brute force to get the same performance that a console can do on much less computing power.
PCs runs the code necessary to get the job done, no more in a brute force manner than a console would. What did you mean by brute force? It's been proven time and time again that most games do not peg the CPU and it's the GPU that typically gets hammered. Remember, the consoles are using tweaked variants of desktop graphic chips, and that's where the bulk of the graphics processing get done. On top of the fact that this go round with the consoles, they all use different CPU/System architectures, and require a different approach from a software development angle. You can't really compare them, especially against the general purpose PC architecture.

If anything is more efficient it's the code that the programmers churn out when developing for the consoles (most of the time at least). They have fewer resources to work with and luckily for them that restriction will be the same on every console for that platform, no variances to worry about.

I'm not going to get into the AV and services argument. Since leaving XP and running more up to date versions of Symantec Corporate AV software, I don't see any issues with gaming while those background services run.

I've only done a little bit of testing, but it hasn't hurt any games yet. (Going from Vista x64 to 7 x64) One thing I noticed is that some zones in WoW now have a more stable frame rate. Running through Dalaran at prime time, the frame rate used to jump around a ton, and at points it would even stutter. Now, while my average frame rate is probably a little bit lower, it stays there. Much better this way. If I make it to this weekend without any major problems I might switch to it full time.

By that logic, my Smartphone should be the best gaming device around, right? Right? It is the hardware optimizations that make gameplay smooth on a console. Even then, as mentioned, console game can and do have their issues with performance as well.

Someone's definitely out of touch with reality however, and it isn't any one of us. It is pathetic to see you still clinging to this notion that AV software hurts gaming performance. You've been given proof upon proof that this isn't true, yet you still argue it. You're wrong, plain and simple, so let it go. You are acting like a spoiled little kid who didn't ge tthere way, so they went off in the corner, kicking and screaming. Be an adult, accept that you were wrong, and move on.

+1 to that.

I've only done a little bit of testing, but it hasn't hurt any games yet. (Going from Vista x64 to 7 x64) One thing I noticed is that some zones in WoW now have a more stable frame rate. Running through Dalaran at prime time, the frame rate used to jump around a ton, and at points it would even stutter. Now, while my average frame rate is probably a little bit lower, it stays there. Much better this way. If I make it to this weekend without any major problems I might switch to it full time.
Seems to be in line with what I've been observing. No massive increase in performance gaming-wise, just quite a bit more steady. I've already switched to Win 7 full time. I've yet to encounter any show stopping bugs and resume from sleep actually works properly! Having a working sleep feature sealed the deal for me, along with rapid network setup after log in and resume.

Seems to be in line with what I've been observing. No massive increase in performance gaming-wise, just quite a bit more steady. I've already switched to Win 7 full time. I've yet to encounter any show stopping bugs and resume from sleep actually works properly! Having a working sleep feature sealed the deal for me, along with rapid network setup after log in and resume.

That's funny, resume from sleep is the only thing that hasn't worked for me. I'm used to having problems with it though.

Are there any actual gaming benchmarks available? (Windows 7 64-bit only. 32-bit is dead)

Not officially no. In the Windows 7 EULA, you're not suppose to post benchmarks at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back